[APP] [K.A.T - V2.4.2] [Audio enhancer | Scan Filters | GPS QuickFix]

Search This thread

Mars73

May 15, 2012
No Neutron uses hardware volume controls as well, that's why I'm interested in how they could work together.
Make no mistake that this is just a 13 in a dozen music player, see www.neutronmp.com
I adjusted the CPU max freq to 1300 MHz, that seem to stretch the battery length.
(I shall probably better continue on the ROM thread as I'm using it, not just the KAT tool).

timduru

Apr 13, 2011
No Neutron uses hardware volume controls as well,
Yeah I've read that on their page, the settings in the app say that it indeed controls DAC hardware levels
but not from what I tested though, it doesn't change hardware levels

It's easy to test by yourself:
to avoid interferences between the 2 apps, in the K.A.T app uncheck the "cascade" check box

Now set a low volume using the sliders in the K.A.T app
go to neutron and put the volume to max, if it really controls hardware levels it should be able to just put the amp to its max level.
But the sound will stay low even at 100% neutron "hardware" level.
that's because it seems to be software level to me.
their preamp settings looks digital to me too, just seems to boost the media digital level in software, it's good though because it prevents you to clip. So if you have a media with low digital level it can boost it
but in software.

Last edited:

Mars73

May 15, 2012
I did the check and saw the same thing as you, I can't up the volume with neutron.
The other way is the same btw when I put the volume to zero in neutron I can't up it with KAT.
So is it best to put the gain to 100 in neutron and use the KAT sliders for the volume?
Wonderful these choices he? ?

timduru

Apr 13, 2011
I did the check and saw the same thing as you, I can't up the volume with neutron.
The other way is the same btw when I put the volume to zero in neutron I can't up it with KAT.
nah it's not the same ;)
Basically, Neutron controls the android digital volume
To check that, play something with another software like play music.
Go into neutron and adjust the neutron volume to 0
now check android volume, you'll see that it's at 0

So of course if the digital volume is at zero , increasing the hardware level in the K.A.T app won't make you hear sound.
if you have unchecked the cascade option in the K.A.T app you need to turn android digital volume back up with the volume keys

Or you can check back the cascade option in the K.A.T app,
then keep pushing the volume up button on the keyboard or the tablet when the slider reaches maximum and the K.A.T app will be able to increase it.
as it cascades digital android volume & hardware levels.

So is it best to put the gain to 100 in neutron and use the KAT sliders for the volume?
Best option is to let the K.A.T app do that for you.
check the cascade option.
Adjust only the volume with the hardware volume buttons on the tablet or the keyboard
Do not touch the android digital volume sliders
Do not touch the app / neutron digital volume slider.
(see post #2 basically )

To make it even more complicated I'm most likley going to add the real WM8903 hardware DAC_BOOST (pre-amp) control soon ;)

So you would basically have in the chain:

DIGITAL/SOFTWARE:
Fixed media level ==> Application filters/equalizer ==> Application sound level(controls android level most of the time) ==> Android filters/equalizer (Viper4Android and such if present in the rom) ==> Android Level
==HARWARE/ANALOG==> K.A.T App WM8903 PreAmp Ctrl ==> K.A.T App WM8903 Amp levels

The main thing to understand is that all the left side before ==HARDWARE/ANALOG==>
is software / digital, then it goes to the DAC.

Last edited:

Mars73

May 15, 2012
Thanks for explaining (and having patience with a curious person as me haha).
Having the cascade on the KAT tool indeed takes it over when upping the volume and also when lowering.
I'll leave it on and use KAT for the volumes and watch this space for any updates.
Keep up the good work.

timduru

Apr 13, 2011
New Version 1.5.3

attachment.php

K.A.T_V1.5.3.apk

ChangeLog:
- Add Hardware Pre Amp Boost slider

4 modes: 0 (no boost) , 1 (+6dB boost), 2 (+12dB boost), 3 (+18dB boost)

That will allow you to boost the level before sending it to the audio chip amplifier
This is to use mostly for apps/medias that have a low input level for example some of the streaming apps like Netflix with which that new option does wonders :)

Keep in mind that if your media already has a normal audio level you will saturate the amp input and generate clipping / bad quality.

Last edited:

Tdono

Jan 23, 2015
Hello, will the GPS part of this app help with WiFi connections?

First off thank you!!!! Flashed KatKiss last night and this is amazing and something I had no idea was possible not long ago also if I should be posting questions about the ROM specifically in the Q&A forum I will do that from now on but the main reason for this post is my wifi and wondering if the GPS in this app will help

I'm beyond a noob again this is the first device I have done a root on and installed a custom recovery and flashed stock software on in years and I I'm happy for sure but I noticed instantly my battery life went from telling me it would last a few days on a full charge to 5 hours at a hundred percent now and my wifi speed has dropped more than half:( I am planning on flashing the gapps Google now launcher unless I'm completely misunderstanding that and its an app to install like other launchers I've tried I just figured since it was a gapp I needed to flash it on top of this ROM either way this is amazing I went from 2 days ago with this tablet that was basically being used as a place to push bullet reminders when I was out and used as a calendar for appointments lol it was displaying an error in the top left that said No certificate to inject after finally verifying that unlocking with that error would not brick the tablet I did even more hours and hours and hours of reading got some great help on another forum board with the questions I couldn't find the answers to and am now running lollipop:laugh: so will the GPS quick fix do anything about the wifi:confused: and for an example when I started this message my battery was at 82% it's now at 73% and I don't even think I have 20 total applications on here yet and nothing running but chrome :eek: Tablet is hot for the first time in it's life too. I just had the time to install a few things and have to leave for the night in a bit so I'm sure I'll figure a lot out over the next few days on my own but was just really curious if this is considered a must have app if running this ROM or I can leave it be for now I don't listen to music on this tablet at all also sorry for the length of this message. thank you for your time !!and all the time you put into the work you do keep it up this is awesome:good:

timduru

Apr 13, 2011
First off thank you!!!! Flashed KatKiss last night and this is amazing and something I had no idea was possible not long ago also if I should be posting questions about the ROM specifically in the Q&A forum I will do that from now on but the main reason for this post is my wifi and wondering if the GPS in this app will help
Nope the gps fix is to speed up the gps lock, no relation to wifi.

if your tablet is warm it usually means that you have something eating the cpu,
Also make sure you flashed the supersu zip + gapps from the rom thread after the rom too.
if you just flashed it's normal that it takes some time to scan back all your medias for example and google is going to download / update and such.
Let it settle a few hours, then reboot, and see if it is back to normal.
if not follow the how to report.

Tdono

Jan 23, 2015
Nope the gps fix is to speed up the gps lock, no relation to wifi.

if your tablet is warm it usually means that you have something eating the cpu,
Also make sure you flashed the supersu zip + gapps from the rom thread after the rom too.
if you just flashed it's normal that it takes some time to scan back all your medias for example and google is going to download / update and such.
Let it settle a few hours, then reboot, and see if it is back to normal.
if not follow the how to report.

Ok thanks for the reply, I love the ROM and plan on having some time this weekend to add/remove the apps I want on this device and researching what works best with your ROM i.e. browser, email,sms etc. I did flash everything as instructed in your guide (I think,I did the wipe option in recovery, didn't format anything I read to many conflicting posts saying it would wipe the entire device including microsd card leasing nothing to flash. If that's wrong and I need to format anything I will just can't find a guide I can understand saying what exactly to click on in recovery and what will be deleted) then flashed everything in order and the device is running fine. Also internet is fine now too, was a fluke I guess but after making sure everything was updated and letting tablet sit for a few hours like you said and doing a reboot it's running much better. The battery is still dying much much faster than it was on default ROM, but considering I have the doc that charges it and don't see myself using it for 6 hours non-stop it's definitely worth having less time to use what feels like a brand new device. Thanks again.:)

atomomega

Sep 23, 2013
Hi Tim!
I just noticed today that on latest KatKiss v18, I cannot enable Cascade Digital+Analog Levels. The check box is disabled no matter what setting I input
1425146441954.jpg

Is it disabled on lollipop? Thanks in advance for your reply

Sent from my TF300T

KritonK

Feb 19, 2015
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Lite
K.A.T. App not working under #020

I just did a fresh install of KatKiss 5.1 #020, and the K.A.T. App does not seem to work:
There are only three tabs on the left, Audio, Donation, and About. The Install, Media, and Storage tabs are missing.
Trying to apply an audio profile, produces the message "Error: Exec error res=127".
Is this a problem with Android 5.1, or am I doing something wrong?
I tried this with both a restored copy of the app, using Titanium Backup, and with a freshly installed copy, after uninstalling the restored copy. In both cases I got the same result.

timduru

Apr 13, 2011
I just did a fresh install of KatKiss 5.1 #020, and the K.A.T. App does not seem to work:
There are only three tabs on the left, Audio, Donation, and About. The Install, Media, and Storage tabs are missing.
Trying to apply an audio profile, produces the message "Error: Exec error res=127".
Is this a problem with Android 5.1, or am I doing something wrong?
I tried this with both a restored copy of the app, using Titanium Backup, and with a freshly installed copy, after uninstalling the restored copy. In both cases I got the same result.

It'll need an update for 5.1

Reactions: KritonK

DoughMucker

Sep 11, 2013
Google Pixel 4 XL
Hi, Tim.
I took my tablet on a trip last week and I used the toolbox to amplify the audio for use on an airplane. It works very well.

I noticed an issue with changing the volume when "Cascade Digital + Analog..." is checked. If you decrease the volume, it goes down. If you then increase the volume, the volume remains at the current level. Disable the "Cascade Digital + Analog..." setting and all works again. Audio seems to work fine with that setting disabled, but I see the OP indicates the best audio performance happens when it is enabled.

timduru

Apr 13, 2011
Hi, Tim.
I took my tablet on a trip last week and I used the toolbox to amplify the audio for use on an airplane. It works very well.

I noticed an issue with changing the volume when "Cascade Digital + Analog..." is checked. If you decrease the volume, it goes down. If you then increase the volume, the volume remains at the current level. Disable the "Cascade Digital + Analog..." setting and all works again. Audio seems to work fine with that setting disabled, but I see the OP indicates the best audio performance happens when it is enabled.

ah yep, cascade mode is not working well since LP, that's why I deactivated it by default.
The TF300/700 audio HAL tends to reinit the level too sometime, which is an extra pain ;)
It would require more changes in the rom to work again.
To get the best quality, you can basically leave the android digital volume at max and adjust the analog volume manually in the K.A.T app.

Reactions: DoughMucker

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    attachment.php
    K.A.T - Kat Android Toolbox - Android Unleasher
    Asus TF300T - TF101

Android App | Audio Enhancer | Alsa Mixer | Media Scanner filters | GPS quickFix
    (Some of the features requires root)

Hi everyone :)

After the TF101 , K.A.T toolbox is now available for the TF300T :)

attachment.php

Latest K.A.T version :
    For KatKiss 7.X: K.A.T_V2.4.2.apk (Requires KatKiss 7.X >=V011)
    For KatKiss 6.0 : K.A.T_V2.2.0.apk
    For KatKiss 5.1 : K.A.T_V2.1.0.apk

ChangeLog:

2.2.0 - 2.1.0 - 2.0.1 - 1.5.3 - 1.5.2 - 1.5.1 - 1.5.0 - 1.4.2 - 1.4.1 - 1.4.0 - 1.3.2 - 1.3.1 - 1.2.7 - 1.2.5 - 1.2.4 - 1.2.3 - 1.2.2 - 1.2.0 - 1.1.7 - 1.1.6 - 1.1.4 - 1.1.3 - 1.1.2

It includes:
    * KatAudio:
    - Ability to control individually the hardware volume mixers of the WM8903 sound chip (hardware levels are lower than the max by default, and android controls only the software volumes)
    - Audio quality & level enhancement (optimized WM8903 register values for best quality)
    - Predefined optimized profiles that can be applied at boot and run time
    - Pre Amp Boost
    - Speaker front boost( DAC L+R merge)
    - Abitility to link Speakers and Headphone analog volume with the volume keys and cascade analog with android digital level.
    (Only use the volume keys to control the volume in that case, do not use the digital android volume or another app) see post #2
    - reinit FM34 DSP
    * Install section allows you to install the different patches/features and fixes
    - Ad-blocker (host file replacement)
    - GPS assistance Fix (needs reboot after install)

* Media
    - Allows you to configure the KAT MediaScanner filters (whitelist, blacklist, alwaysadd directories, disable scan completely) Requires compatible rom like KatKiss
    * Storage
    - Allows you to mount / unmount drives (with full write NTFS support too)

See post #2 for more details.

See post #3 for compatibility reports, please report if a feature works for you (indicates which feature/version), and with which tablet/ROM/Kernel combination and versions you tested it with.
    That way I can update the compatibility post. :)

Disclaimer: The usual ;)
    Use at your own risk, I won't be responsible for any damages caused to your Transformer or to yourself.
    In most cases if something breaks, flashing a rom on top should fix it.

Please don't repackage or redistribute K.A.T in another thread, as it'll just make it very difficult for me to maintain and understand user feedback if your repackaged version is broken, has too many differences or is outdated.
    Also feel free to mention that you've reused some of the K.A.T enhancements but don't call it K.A.T, as if you do that will just generate confusion in user's mind as to where and what is K.A.T.

Credits:
    - Dan Pollock for the original ad-blocker file http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/

XDA:DevDB Information
    K.A.T - Kat Android Toolbox, App for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
    timduru

Version Information

Created 2014-07-22
    Last Updated 2016-10-30
    Reserved

Features

* KatAudio:
    Note that on the TF300T, With some of the media player the first time you play a media, the volumes are reset to their original state. So first open the app & play then adjust the volumes in the K.A.T app. Or if you use the cascade option, push the volume button once after playing and it will set the proper volume level

- ability to control individually the hardware volume mixers of the WM8903 chip
    - predefined optimized profiles that can be applied at boot and run time (optimized WM8903 registers for best quality "voodoo sound like" + sound volumes)
    - Speaker front boots( DAC L+R merge)
    - reinit FM34 DSP feature

- Pre Amp Boost
    4 modes: 0 (no boost) , 1 (+6dB boost), 2 (+12dB boost), 3 (+18dB boost)
    That will allow you to boost the level in hardware before sending it to the audio chip amplifier
    This is to use mostly for apps/medias that have a low input level for example some of the streaming apps like Netflix with which that new option does wonders :)
    Keep in mind that if your media already has a normal audio level you will saturate the amp input and generate clipping / bad quality.

- Cascade option: Abitility to link Speakers and Headphone analog volume with the volume keys and cascade analog with android digital level. (This will give you the best quality results. )

When you increase the volume it will first increase the digital android volume, then increase the real chip analog volume as you keep pushing up once the digital volume has reached the maximum.
    When you hit the volume down button, it will first decrease the analog chip volume, while keep the digital volume at max.Then once it has reached a low analog level it'll decrease the digital slider as you keep pushing.
    (Only use the volume keys to control the volume in that case, do not use the digital android volume or another app)

If you prefer not to have that behavior and set the volumes separately, just uncheck the cascade option.

* Storage
    Allows you to mount / unmount drives:
    - Mount(Auto): will try to mount vfat, ext4 and ntfs with what the kernel support (ie if the kernel only supports ReadOnly NTFS, the drives will end up being mounted ro)
    - Mount(NTFS with full write support) : this one will try to mount the drive directly with full read-write support through ntfs-3g compiled and included with the app.
    - Unmount: does what it says ;) if the drive is busy or used by an application, it'll usually fail.
    In that case and if you know what you're doing you can try to check the force box, it might be able to force unmount.

* Media
    Allows you to configure the KAT MediaScanner filters
    Always been annoyed by the MediaScanner eating 50% of the cpu and doing intensive IO, bringing your tablet to its knees ?
    Well this enhancement is for you, it'll allow you to black/white list and force specified directories scanning, or disable scanning completely.

The way the default MediaScanner works is that everytime the tablet starts, that you mount / unmount a storage, or that the tablet wakes up,
    the MediaScannerService receives an order to scan.. *everything* on all mounted medias *again*:
    /storage/sdcard0, /Removable/MicroSD, /Removable/USBdisk1, /Removable/USBdisk2, /Removable/SD

That's where the K.A.T MediaScanner comes to the rescue.
    With it you can rewrite / filter the scan orders. :)

- Whitelist:
    Everything added in it will continue and be scanned if the order is received.
    If you work in whitelist most, you should add at least /system/media to it, unless you don't want the system to find these. (default audio notifications and such)

- Blacklist
    Everything in this list will be discarded from the scan order received.

- Always add directories
    The directories in this list, will be always appended to the scan order.

- Scan checkbox: if unchecked all orders are cancelled
    You can choose to still let the "always add directories" list pass or not with the additional check box

One thing to understand: the MediaScannerService is in charge of "top level" recursive scan orders.
    Meaning that it receives the order to scan /Removable/MicroSD for example.
    (It can also receive individual scan orders for files if an application forces it, but that's not how android is doing it for you general "media files")
    So it is these "orders" that the filters can intercept and what the white/black list are matching against.
    You won't be able to match onto individual files.

Also keep in mind it takes time for the scanner to update its DB.
    Until it's done you might still see medias that you've filtered out, or might not see new medias you're trying to force scanning.
    If you currently have a big media DB, the cleanest and faster way to do it, is to configure the filters you want, wipe MediaStorage data, then reboot.
    New Version 2.2.0

attachment.php

K.A.T_V2.2.0.apk

ChangeLog:
    - MarshMallow 6.0 compatibility (requires KatKiss 6.0 >= #008)
    New Lollipop 5.1 version

attachment.php

K.A.T_V2.1.0.apk

ChangeLog:
    - Lollipop 5.1 compatibility (requires KatKiss 5.1 >= #021)
    New version 2.0.1

attachment.php

K.A.T_V2.0.1.apk

ChangeLog:
    - Lollipop compatibility
    - Core audio rewrite

Note: Audio cascading is disabled on Lollipop as not compatible yet.