[MODEM] Main modem XX versions flashable through CWM

Search This thread

bgn9000

Jan 12, 2011
Versailles
[SGS2] Modem Thread (modem guide) (thanks @geko95gek)
[REF] Modem+RIL CWM Installers (thanks @hawerpaul)

Hi everybody,
I did a lot of tests with different modem versions in order to see battery usage impact with my current configuration (Touch X v2 + ninphetamine 2.1.3).
To do those tests easilly and day after day with same situations, I used a CWM script (zip file) to avoid PC / Odin.

Here is those different modem versions with script :
XXKE4 : HERE
XXKE7 : HERE
XXKF2 : HERE
XXKF3 : HERE (thanks @Alef_0)
XXKG2 : HERE
XXKG3 : HERE
XXKG5 : HERE
XXKG6 : HERE
XXKH3 : HERE
XXKI1 : HERE
XXKI3 : HERE
XXKI4 : HERE
XXKL1 : HERE (thanks @Alef_0)
XXKP1 : HERE (thanks @shahulvm)
XXKP4 : HERE (thanks @SMN)
XXKP8 : HERE (thanks @SMN)
XXKPA : HERE (thanks @lrbpereira)
XXLP1 : HERE
XXLP6 : HERE (thanks @SMN)
XXLPB : HERE (thanks @freemini)
XXLPH : HERE (thanks @ql4y3r)
XXLPJ : HERE (thanks @freemini : credits go entirely to codeworkx)
XXLPQ : HERE (thanks @Tyrol)
UHLPE : HERE (thanks @Elisha
XXLPS : HERE (thanks @Irvysan)
XXLPW : HERE (thanks @Irvysan)
XXLPX : HERE (thanks @Irvysan)
XXLQ5 : HERE
XXLQ6 : HERE
UHLPH : HERE (thanks @red.hat)

Korean GS2 M250K-UB23 : HERE (thanks @$wissdroid)

For those who want to backup their modem before any flash, here is a CWM script I just made : HERE

Very quick user guide :
1/ download zip file and put it onto your internal sdcard
2/ if you have CWM app installed, you can use "Flash update" and select the zip file. Else reboot in CWM and use "install from zip".
No wipe needed

Alternate modem : NEKF2 HERE
Second alternate modem : NEKI2 (same network operator (THREE) released in Italy) HERE (thanks @thanksgiving60 and @s_wind)

Here it is.. I recommend all THREE users to try this modem as it is a MASSIVE improvement from any other modem...

Maybe someone more experienced than me could have a look into the modifications done by THREE to this modem and apply them on other versions...

Attached as a zip package flashable through CWM.

This is NOT the regular KF2 that you can find all over XDA, its extracted from my stock 3UK Rom, its modified by Three to serve their network better, and I can say they have done a good job.

Once again this is NOT the regular KF2 Modem

Latest Orange network provider modems : BVKJ4 : HERE and BVKL1 : HERE and BVLPB :HERE

A related thread on the same subject (@ykk_five) : HERE
Another related :

Last edited:

bgn9000

Jan 12, 2011
Versailles
Here is my results in terms of battery usage
(Fast Dormancy always enable, by the way my provider doesn't manage this mod)

Wake mode, GSM only (neither data, nor wifi, screen-off) :
KI4 (0.45%) < KG5 et KI3 (0.7%/h) < KG2 (0.8%/h) < KG6 et KI1 (0.9%/h) < KF2 (1%/h) < KH3 (1.25%/h) < KE4 (1.8%/h) < KE7 (1.9%/h) < KG1 (2.25%/h)

Wake mode, GSM + 3G activated (for mails), screen-off :
KI4 (0.7%) < KG5 et KI1 (1%/h) < KF2 et KG2 et KI3 (1.4%/h) < KG1 (1.7%/h) < KH3 (2%/h) < KG6 (2.3%/h) < KE7 (2.4%/h) < KE4 (3.4%/h)

2G usage (stream radio), screen-off :
KG5 (9%/h) < KG2 et KI4 (14%/h) < KG6 et KE4 (17%/h) < KG1 (18%/h) < KI1 (19%/h) < KF2 et KH3 (20%/h) < KE7 (22%/h)

3G usage (stream radio), screen-off :
KG6 (13%/h) < KG5 (14%/h) < KI3 et KI4 (15%/h) < KG2 et KI1 (16%/h) < KE4 et KF2 (18%/h)

Here is performance tests I did those last days (around 200) using versatile speedtest.net (so many possible issues) :

That's right that all modems since KI4 are very good in terms of performance.
SpeedTest.net is a little bit complicated because we have a lot of infra between our GS2 and the server. So, we can have day after day, test after test, different results.
My approach is to bench a lot and provide a MIN/AVERAGE/MAX for each modem.
After that, my choice will be based on average battery usage.

All of this hard work is to provide a single view of what we can expect but, of course, because of so many networks, this is a little bit limited ;)

I think that this post may help someone from my country. I use XXLPS with Vodafone Greece and after testing almost all other modems, I found it the best for signal and 3g.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

patt2k

Mar 22, 2009
I flashed the 2.3.5 KI3 and still get no Mobile Data ... I just came from villian to the 2.3.5 it was working on there just fine. Any ideas which one to flash?

bgn9000

Jan 12, 2011
Versailles
Do you know the difference between Odin version and CWM version?

This is the same version. I just extracted modem.bin from each stock ROM and put it into a zip file with a small CWM script.

My idea is to give a way to avoid Odin/PC and to decorrelate ROM and modem versions.
Moreover, I am trying to investigate battery usage for each in some situations. I am not paying too much attention on network efficiency.

really interested ... what's the better? :p

For the moment, the best one is KG5.

Reactions: laleiz

ykkfive

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 25, 2010
ykkfive.blogspot.com

bgn9000

Jan 12, 2011
Versailles
i think you don need to post the zip files for every modem coz i have posted a skeleton zip together with instructions about a year ago in the I9000 forum

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=833861
http://ykkfive.blogspot.com/2010/11/switching-modem-anytime-anywhere.html

NOTE: the redbend_ua file inside the zip is for I9000 AND NOT FOR I9100, just replace it with I9100's redbend_ua will do

Interesting indeed ;)

Post 2: my personnal results / benchmark about battery usage for each modem... this is the main purpose of this thread.

Teio

Sep 27, 2009
London
This is the same version. I just extracted modem.bin from each stock ROM and put it into a zip file with a small CWM script.

My idea is to give a way to avoid Odin/PC and to decorrelate ROM and modem versions.
Moreover, I am trying to investigate battery usage for each in some situations. I am not paying too much attention on network efficiency.

For the moment, the best one is KG5.

Very useful thread but note that network efficiency has direct and severe impact on battery life...

My scenario is: im on the 3uk network, and the best modem for me is the 3 modified Ke7 (? Not sure, not on phone now, have to double check)... any other modem gives ****ty network coverage and therefore bad battery life...

Ke7 (?) modified by 3 gives the best coverage and battery life for me...

Even if I use the normal ke7 (?) downloaded from here, I have bad network coverage...

I plan on extracting the modem from 3uk stock ROM and posting in a new thread for other 3uk users to test...

I'll make some research on how to extract the radio from the ROM...

bgn9000

Jan 12, 2011
Versailles
Very useful thread but note that network efficiency has direct and severe impact on battery life...

My scenario is: im on the 3uk network, and the best modem for me is the 3 modified Ke7 (? Not sure, not on phone now, have to double check)... any other modem gives ****ty network coverage and therefore bad battery life...

Ke7 (?) modified by 3 gives the best coverage and battery life for me...

Even if I use the normal ke7 (?) downloaded from here, I have bad network coverage...

I plan on extracting the modem from 3uk stock ROM and posting in a new thread for other 3uk users to test...

I'll make some research on how to extract the radio from the ROM...

I am aware of those different results expected on different networks/providers ;)
Your remark is very interesting and you can post here your modem.bin file you can extract from your 3uk stock ROM. Usually, this is a tar (or tar.md5 : just rename it by removing .md5 at the end) file or and exe file (Exe file is a self extracted exe on PC/windows). Once you will extract (unzip if you like) everything on your PC. Into sub directory, you should find modem.bin file.

Let me know by PM.

Reactions: Teio

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [SGS2] Modem Thread (modem guide) (thanks @geko95gek)
    [REF] Modem+RIL CWM Installers (thanks @hawerpaul)

Hi everybody,
    I did a lot of tests with different modem versions in order to see battery usage impact with my current configuration (Touch X v2 + ninphetamine 2.1.3).
    To do those tests easilly and day after day with same situations, I used a CWM script (zip file) to avoid PC / Odin.

Here is those different modem versions with script :
    XXKE4 : HERE
    XXKE7 : HERE
    XXKF2 : HERE
    XXKF3 : HERE (thanks @Alef_0)
    XXKG2 : HERE
    XXKG3 : HERE
    XXKG5 : HERE
    XXKG6 : HERE
    XXKH3 : HERE
    XXKI1 : HERE
    XXKI3 : HERE
    XXKI4 : HERE
    XXKL1 : HERE (thanks @Alef_0)
    XXKP1 : HERE (thanks @shahulvm)
    XXKP4 : HERE (thanks @SMN)
    XXKP8 : HERE (thanks @SMN)
    XXKPA : HERE (thanks @lrbpereira)
    XXLP1 : HERE
    XXLP6 : HERE (thanks @SMN)
    XXLPB : HERE (thanks @freemini)
    XXLPH : HERE (thanks @ql4y3r)
    XXLPJ : HERE (thanks @freemini : credits go entirely to codeworkx)
    XXLPQ : HERE (thanks @Tyrol)
    UHLPE : HERE (thanks @Elisha
    XXLPS : HERE (thanks @Irvysan)
    XXLPW : HERE (thanks @Irvysan)
    XXLPX : HERE (thanks @Irvysan)
    XXLQ5 : HERE
    XXLQ6 : HERE
    UHLPH : HERE (thanks @red.hat)

Korean GS2 M250K-UB23 : HERE (thanks @$wissdroid)

For those who want to backup their modem before any flash, here is a CWM script I just made : HERE

Very quick user guide :
    1/ download zip file and put it onto your internal sdcard
    2/ if you have CWM app installed, you can use "Flash update" and select the zip file. Else reboot in CWM and use "install from zip".
    No wipe needed

Alternate modem : NEKF2 HERE
    Second alternate modem : NEKI2 (same network operator (THREE) released in Italy) HERE (thanks @thanksgiving60 and @s_wind)

Here it is.. I recommend all THREE users to try this modem as it is a MASSIVE improvement from any other modem...

Maybe someone more experienced than me could have a look into the modifications done by THREE to this modem and apply them on other versions...

Attached as a zip package flashable through CWM.

This is NOT the regular KF2 that you can find all over XDA, its extracted from my stock 3UK Rom, its modified by Three to serve their network better, and I can say they have done a good job.

Once again this is NOT the regular KF2 Modem

Latest Orange network provider modems : BVKJ4 : HERE and BVKL1 : HERE and BVLPB :HERE

A related thread on the same subject (@ykk_five) : HERE
    Another related :
    Here is my results in terms of battery usage
    (Fast Dormancy always enable, by the way my provider doesn't manage this mod)

Wake mode, GSM only (neither data, nor wifi, screen-off) :
    KI4 (0.45%) < KG5 et KI3 (0.7%/h) < KG2 (0.8%/h) < KG6 et KI1 (0.9%/h) < KF2 (1%/h) < KH3 (1.25%/h) < KE4 (1.8%/h) < KE7 (1.9%/h) < KG1 (2.25%/h)

Wake mode, GSM + 3G activated (for mails), screen-off :
    KI4 (0.7%) < KG5 et KI1 (1%/h) < KF2 et KG2 et KI3 (1.4%/h) < KG1 (1.7%/h) < KH3 (2%/h) < KG6 (2.3%/h) < KE7 (2.4%/h) < KE4 (3.4%/h)

2G usage (stream radio), screen-off :
    KG5 (9%/h) < KG2 et KI4 (14%/h) < KG6 et KE4 (17%/h) < KG1 (18%/h) < KI1 (19%/h) < KF2 et KH3 (20%/h) < KE7 (22%/h)

3G usage (stream radio), screen-off :
    KG6 (13%/h) < KG5 (14%/h) < KI3 et KI4 (15%/h) < KG2 et KI1 (16%/h) < KE4 et KF2 (18%/h)

Here is performance tests I did those last days (around 200) using versatile speedtest.net (so many possible issues) :

That's right that all modems since KI4 are very good in terms of performance.
    SpeedTest.net is a little bit complicated because we have a lot of infra between our GS2 and the server. So, we can have day after day, test after test, different results.
    My approach is to bench a lot and provide a MIN/AVERAGE/MAX for each modem.
    After that, my choice will be based on average battery usage.

All of this hard work is to provide a single view of what we can expect but, of course, because of so many networks, this is a little bit limited ;)

I think that this post may help someone from my country. I use XXLPS with Vodafone Greece and after testing almost all other modems, I found it the best for signal and 3g.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda app-developers app
    Hey Guys

One New Modem is there :)

XXLS6 from new S2 JB Leak:

You can download it here (Attachment)

Enjoy it :)
    @bgn9000

Hi bro, can you please help upload it to the first page...

ICS modem from XXKP1, packaged for XDA :)

Tested and its working fine for me with good download speeds....should work for all as well :D

Tested on XXKK5 ROM...
    NELP3 Modem

Nekf2 this is safe for flashing with ics 4.0.3 stock Rom just checking before i flash i am 3UK

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Any modem is safe to flash on any ROM. :)

NELP3 is out by the way, I'll be posting the CWM zip shortly. Watch this space! :p

EDIT:

Here it is as promised - New NELP3 Modem CWM Flashable ZIP.