[Stock Firmware]Restore Barnes & Nobel Nook Tablet 16G 1.4.0 from SDCard

Search This thread

Singingdrum

Jul 1, 2011
Problem sideloading after root

Everything went fine with the rooting on my Nook, except that I am not able to install apps from Getjar or Amazon app store. Apps from Google do install just fine. What I'm seeing is that when I'm trying to install an app I get the notice that the setting has to change and the menu comes up, but after I check the box and go back to the install, the message comes up again to change the settings. It seems that the settings change never registers, even after I reboot.

I"m wondering if I need to go back to factory and start over? Anyone have any ideas on this?

Land Master

Jun 18, 2010
Highlands Ranch, CO.
Everything went fine with the rooting on my Nook, except that I am not able to install apps from Getjar or Amazon app store. Apps from Google do install just fine. What I'm seeing is that when I'm trying to install an app I get the notice that the setting has to change and the menu comes up, but after I check the box and go back to the install, the message comes up again to change the settings. It seems that the settings change never registers, even after I reboot.

I"m wondering if I need to go back to factory and start over? Anyone have any ideas on this?

Whatever issues you are experiencing have nothing to do with the method outlined in this thread. This "SD Card revert" works exactly as billed and resets the device to a brand new OOB (out of the box) state.

As you said you could go back to factory using the method herein and then try Re-root using either Indirect's Original 1.4.0 Root OR his new method which also works on 1.4.1. The new method includes GetJar but I had not tried it.

Good luck!

Edit: I just tried GetJar on my NT rooted with Indirect's latest method and it worked fine. See This Post

Last edited:

AdamOutler

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 18, 2011
Miami, Fl̨̞̲̟̦̀̈̃͛҃҅͟orida
The main advantage is that you can sideload without rooting with 1.4.0. You can get expected tablet capabilities with this by sideloading these three apps..

Http://nook1.adamoutler.com
Http://nook2.adamoutler.com
Http://nook3.adamoutler.com

that's hidden settings, homecatcher and launcher pro.

I don't see a reason to use 1.4.1 as it only removes the ability to sideload apps. I use this sdcard, OOBE bypass trick to stop updates, the links above to make it a tablet, and NARS to root.

jearley9

Jan 29, 2012
I have successfully rooted my NT using Indirect's SDCard method. Being the careful sort, my wife is now bringing home an 8GB SDCard for trying this thread's factory recovery solution out. As I am new to Android, I need to ask what may be a "noob" question:

Can I assume that this method (once verified), is "foolproof"...meaning that code in the actual NT Boot ROM is looking at that SDCard for "Acclaim_Update.zip". So no matter what B&N does in the future, this method will get us back to factory 1.4.0 (along with a wipe)? Can someone verify this, or a least this is how things are understood at present?

Forgive me - to repeat myself...I am a careful sort :)

flashman2002

Aug 8, 2010
Derby/Wichita Kansas
When I used this method last night, it still had my wife's live wallpaper and it showed 9.9.9 as well. I had to do the factory reset to get back to 1.4.0. Not sure why it didn't work for me?

Sent from my BNTV250 using Tapatalk

bocaccio

Oct 27, 2010
So after I do this how can I get it to a "stock root". For this to be a "reader" i feel I have to be on the stock os/rom; but being rooted is a plus too. And thanks for your work

---------- Post added 12th March 2012 at 12:03 AM ---------- Previous post was 11th March 2012 at 11:20 PM ----------

Desperate need of help over here. I put your file on my sdcard and rebooted. All it does is boot into cwm and then reboot to cm7. Sometimes it boots to an android w his stomach open and an !

What am i doing wrong? I wanna goback to stock bn os.

bocaccio

Oct 27, 2010
Try to re-download. Maybe the file is corrupt.

Still don't work. I dl it and put it on sd card. Turned off nook then turned on. Still get this damn android riding a skateboard. Is there something I am missing?

I want stock bn rooted.

A thought...Do i have to put the acclaim update on with the win32image.exe?

Last edited:

Solar.Plexus

Jan 29, 2012
I'm not sure either. I've never had to revert back to 1.4.0, but I do know the process and am just going through the regular troubleshooting steps.

Try a new SD card maybe. Make sure the zip file is the only thing on the card.

bocaccio

Oct 27, 2010
I'll try a different card. I just want to be back on stock then root that and stay on that not goto cm7.

Is it possible to use this: nooktablet_1_4_2_update.zip from cwm?

Last edited:

albertwertz

Dec 8, 2011
Wolfforth, TX
this wont work while you have cm7 and CWM recovery installed on the internal HD. You have to flash the stock recovery first from the recovery flasher app, then maybe try running nook unrooter app, or ifyou want a stock rooted rom, just flash my recovery rom from CWM

bocaccio

Oct 27, 2010
this wont work while you have cm7 and CWM recovery installed on the internal HD. You have to flash the stock recovery first from the recovery flasher app, then maybe try running nook unrooter app, or ifyou want a stock rooted rom, just flash my recovery rom from CWM

I've tried flashing your recovery rom from cwm. Thats actually what i wanna do is have your stock rom.

CWMrestore_1_4_0_ plus NTV16gbV4_6

I am assuming I'm doing it wrong though. I put it on sd card then install zip from card and install aborts.

dimebagdan65

Aug 4, 2010
Las Vegas
www.dimedroidhq.com
Lol not exactly what you had intended, but this saved my bacon with my CM7/CWM debacle... Tried to update to final alpha, bootloop, couldn't remember how to manually boot to recovery, pull hair out, find your thread, decide to try to go back to stock. Made the SD card, popped it in and booted up. Lo and behold I'm back at CWM recovery! Wiped, re-installed CM7 final alpha, reboot, profit! If I wasn't such a broke @ss, I'd buy you a 12 pack, Adam!

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

kem52

Mar 15, 2011
Indianapolis
We were surprised by a stealthy OTA to 1.4.2 and have now lost all access to sideloaded apps :mad::mad::mad:

I have not found a post in the thread that specifically states that this process takes me safely back from 1.4.2 to 1.4.0, so I just wanted to check that this is what I can safely accomplish with this routine. Thank you to the dev for working on this :D

Mar 3, 2012
Ok, I have tried this with 2 different SD cards.
It flashes what I am assuming to be the reset screen (it says "Please do not turn off the power") and then immediately goes to "Please restart your device and try again. If this continues..blah blah blah..."
I'm not sure why this isn't working...

Techienana

Feb 10, 2011
Are you on 1.4.2? Was your Nook repartitioned by BN? I got another new NT and had it repartitioned at B&N and updated to 1.4.2, just cuz. I am running CM7 off an sd card and can easily switch back and forth using the power button. But I was thinking of 'downdating' to 1.4.0 and when I tried it, I got the same thing you did.

I'm wondering if this works only for tablets on 1.4.1 or if there is something different about 1.4.2 that interferes with the 'downdating'.

Mar 3, 2012
Are you on 1.4.2? Was your Nook repartitioned by BN? I got another new NT and had it repartitioned at B&N and updated to 1.4.2, just cuz. I am running CM7 off an sd card and can easily switch back and forth using the power button. But I was thinking of 'downdating' to 1.4.0 and when I tried it, I got the same thing you did.

I'm wondering if this works only for tablets on 1.4.1 or if there is something different about 1.4.2 that interferes with the 'downdating'.

No and no.

greenwood625

Jan 18, 2012
I rooted my nook tablet with NTV16gbV4_6 before but trying to get to original software. Itried this file got this error i was wondering if someone can tell what i am doing wrong.

Attachments

• AU.jpg
    AU.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 157

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is for the Nook Tablet 16Gig version only. Do not use with 8Gig version

Introduction
    Making a magic SDCard which will take you back to stock 1.4.0 is easy!

This method will allow you to restore 1.4.0 firmware onto your Nook Tablet. Personally, I think holding the buttons and halting the device boot 8 times in a row is a bit time consuming. So, here is how you make a "Magic SDCard".

Instructions
    Just follow these 4 easy steps to restore your device to 1.4.0.
    1. Download this file: http://devftp.xda-developers.com/files/AdamOutler/NookTablet/acclaim_update.zip (Do not change the file name. Make sure it is named "acclaim_update.zip" without quotes).
    2. Copy the file on a Micro SDCard.
    3. Insert the Micro SDCard into your Nook Tablet
    4. Turn on your Nook and observe a factory restoration.

Conclusion
    This will initiate Recovery Mode and flash the entire zip. acclaim_update.zip will restore your device to stock firmware and wipe all user data. I will be working on other methods and I believe it is possible to force the device to boot it's entire firmware from Micro SDCard.

Troubleshooting
    "N" Button is inoperative
    solution:
    1. Press and hold the Power and "N" Button until the device reboots.
    2. Continue to hold the Power and "N" button until the device reboots 8 times. This will wipe data and restore the "N" button functionality

SDCard method does not work
    solutions:
    1. Ensure you have a Nook Tablet, not a Nook Color (funny as it sounds, this is a big problem)
    2. redownload the acclaim_update.zip
    3. Use the Nook settings menu to format the sdcard
    4. Use a different SDCard

Video walkthrough
    This video will walk you through switching firmware versions, rooting, backing up, and several other techniques
    I added a "Troubleshooting" section to the first post.

Troubleshooting
    The sideloaded app "Homecatcher" has been reported to cause problems with the "N" button upon restoration of this device. Remove homecatcher from your device before using this recovery. If you have problems after restoring to 1.4.0, please unregister your device. Unregistering will clear out the user data which is attempting to remap your Nook button.
    acclaim_update.zip NOOK 1.4.0 edit to my post of Nov. 5, 2018

The following should take you directly to the Wayback Machine archive of the NOOK 1.4.0 acclaim_update.zip file. (I am so glad that I bookmarked it!)

I tested the following 6 times on a Windows 7 PC before posting this. I will also test it again after this post is applied.

1.) Click on this link or copy it to another tab in your web browser: https://web.archive.org/web/20120120164254/https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1402190

2.) Under Instructions Number 1: Click on the embedded link and it will download immediately.

Here's Hoping!
    Part of the boot process checks the SD Card for this exact file (and checks the contents I assume). If it exists, it gets executed. Someone else has already confirmed this works, though we can't yet get it to work for any other firmware (ICS, etc).
    Just to be clear, this doesn't require root right?

No. Root is not required.