[Q] Question after root device

Search This thread

lucius100

May 13, 2014
I just unlock my device bootloader and root it with vroot , i am really newbie in android because i am ios user before.
I just want to ask , what else i can do other than gain root privilege?
I have sony xperia J / st26i , and it's only have 512 ram, but i check the background process and only 120-140 ram available.
After rooting, what i can do to get/free more ram so i can play game stable?
what is cyanogen mod ?
what is custom roms ?
what is system recovery ?
Is it possible to downgrade firmware?
if i want to upgrade firmware , do i need to lock the bootloader?
please give me your opinion , what i must do to get more ram :confused::confused:
sorry for these question, just really noobs in android world :D:D

Phalangioides

Dec 9, 2013
You should download more ram...nah, joke :D
1.If you have unlocked bootloader and root, you can do anything in android now.
2.Android is built differently than windows and the rule more ram=better. It just doesn't like to waste ram, so it uses it to something and it's still smooth most of the time(for me on slim cm10 it was 150-220 free, now on stock based rom it's 50-90 and it feels even smoother) If you want the games to run smoother you can flash a kernel with overclocking capabilities, but it shortens the lifespan of SoC, produces more heat and drains more battery, but if you are modifying your phone do you care about those things or performance?( I'm currently on 1.8ghz oc heheh)
But what you can do to free more ram are those things:
-uninstall apps you don't use
-use "greenify" to hibernate apps that always run in the background. Facebook in the background really slows down J
- STAY AWAY FROM TASK KILLERS
3.Cyanogenmod - custom rom for android phones based on aosp(stock android made by google). It's basically just stock android with additional functions.
4.Custom rom - it's simply a rom that isn't made by the manufacturer of the phone(it isn't stock), like cyanogenmod
5.System recovery - really it's just what it sounds like, although custom recovery is more common - clockworkmod or team win recovery project. They are essential if you want to flash a custom rom or install some mods or do other things such as formatting the system, wiping cache or simply making a backup of the system
6.It is possible to downgrade firmware - you just download the desired firmware and flash it
7.Probably no, but you don't really need to worry about this - J has two firmwares - 4.0.4 and 4.1.2. and it won't get any more official updates - you can flash them with flashtool without worrying about it and there is really no need to use 4.0.4
8.As i said before - use greenify to hibernate apps.

Last edited:
Reactions: lucius100

lucius100

May 13, 2014
thanks for the detailed answer.
looks like i don't need to use custom roms, but i want to have backup of system with CWM or TWRP , any link for detailed guide for that? since i don't want to brick it or anything, CWM or TWRP is better for sony xperia J / st26i?
There's something bothering me for a while , i have phone memory around 700mb+ and internal storage 2gb, and microsd 4gb [removable] the problem is i can't move my application to microsd, but i can read that microsd is detected. it just there's no option to move it there, is something wrong with my phone? i only have the option to move it to internal storage and clear data, force stop, uninstall , but no option to move it to my microsd 4gb , or i need third apps ? , i use apps called app manager III , but it's still dont have the option move to the microsd.

appviz

Aug 19, 2013
appsatmiro.blogspot.in
looks like i don't need to use custom roms, but i want to have backup of system with CWM or TWRP , any link for detailed guide for that? since i don't want to brick it or anything, CWM or TWRP is better for sony xperia J / st26i?
There's something bothering me for a while , i have phone memory around 700mb+ and internal storage 2gb, and microsd 4gb [removable] the problem is i can't move my application to microsd, but i can read that microsd is detected. it just there's no option to move it there, is something wrong with my phone? i only have the option to move it to internal storage and clear data, force stop, uninstall , but no option to move it to my microsd 4gb , or i need third apps ? , i use apps called app manager III , but it's still dont have the option move to the microsd.

If you want to move apps to 4 GB you wud need to swap ur internal 2gb with microsd 4 gb. But it has some performance issues and hence not recommended. However I have done that !! Swapped my 8gb micro with 2 gb internal. You can refer to the thread.

http://xdaforums.com/xperia-u/go-development/xperia-sd-card-fix-remount-sd-internal-t1943643

Phalangioides

Dec 9, 2013
Keep trying various apps, one should work.

CWM is more common, but you have to do kernel swapping if you want to do a backup on a stock rom
1.Make sure you have ~1gb of free memory on the internal memory
2.Flash kernel with integrated cwm (custom one, like riches kernel, but be aware that system won't boot up - kernels meant for cm10 don't work with stock roms and vice versa)
3.After you finish flashing, boot up the phone and when the illumination bar is lit up (i don't remember what color it is lol, probably yellow but it doesn't matter)keep pressing vol - button until it changes color to blue and you enter recovery menu. Use vol + and - buttons to move up and down and power button to confirm. Go into "backup and restore" and choose "backup" Wait until it finishes and then go back and simply pull the battery and put it again
4.Flash back the stock kernel, boot up the phone and after it's done plug it to your pc and the backup will be in the folder clockworkmod.
And you're done!
Do the kernel swapping again if you need to restore the backup

And kernel flashing is simple - download the program flashtool, install it and then go to the "drivers" folder and launch the .exe in there and choose only fastboot and flashmode drivers. Then reboot the pc if necessary and launch the flashtool program adequate to your pc (32 bit or 64 bit) Turn off the phone, put the usb cable into pc first, hold the vol - and plug in the phone - small led near the front camera should be blue and the flashtool should display "device connected in fastboot mode. Click on the thunder icon, select "fastboot mode" and then "select kernel to flash" - you select the kernel you want to flash(change the filesystem to the one of the kernel) and then it should flash. Check the log if everything is successful and then disconnect the cable.

And i've just noticed that apparently vengeance kernel has integrated cwm and is for stock roms, so probably you can avoid kernel swapping and flash it once, but have it your way

http://xdaforums.com/xperia-j-e/general/xperia-jst26i-roms-kernels-mods-how-tos-t2237164 - here you can find the stock kernel and vengeance, Also there under the recovery is a cwm kernel

http://xdaforums.com/xperia-j-e/orig-development/cm10-miro-tipo-j-e-riches-kernel-t2507787 - or here is the riches kernel

http://www.flashtool.net/download.php - here you have the flashtool

Check other tutorials if you feel lost. I suggest watching a tutorial vid on youtube.

D

Deleted member 5439257

1. Don't change your SD card with your micro SD, whatever people may say. It is dangerous, especially for someone who is just starting to mess around with their phone.

Don't. The risks are bigger than the advantage.
2. In Android you can't natively(or with apps) move apps to the micro SD. You could, but I believe the function was removed in Android 2.3(correct me if I'm wrong.

You could use link2sd to do it, but that requires you to partition your micro SD.

You can Google "link2sd" for further information or you can always ask here.

Sent from my C1505 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

lucius100

May 13, 2014
okay, now i got memory storage problem
i download game, install game, update game, all stored in phone memory not internal storage, when i move to internal storage from 280mb size , it only moved 30mb+ to internal storage, and the rest stuck in phone memory..
So is there no way to move the game completely to internal storage ?
and when i open the playstore , it's often show connection timed out , there's no problem with the wireless, i can browsing fine, just always connection time out in playstore.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You should download more ram...nah, joke :D
    1.If you have unlocked bootloader and root, you can do anything in android now.
    2.Android is built differently than windows and the rule more ram=better. It just doesn't like to waste ram, so it uses it to something and it's still smooth most of the time(for me on slim cm10 it was 150-220 free, now on stock based rom it's 50-90 and it feels even smoother) If you want the games to run smoother you can flash a kernel with overclocking capabilities, but it shortens the lifespan of SoC, produces more heat and drains more battery, but if you are modifying your phone do you care about those things or performance?( I'm currently on 1.8ghz oc heheh)
    But what you can do to free more ram are those things:
    -uninstall apps you don't use
    -use "greenify" to hibernate apps that always run in the background. Facebook in the background really slows down J
    - STAY AWAY FROM TASK KILLERS
    3.Cyanogenmod - custom rom for android phones based on aosp(stock android made by google). It's basically just stock android with additional functions.
    4.Custom rom - it's simply a rom that isn't made by the manufacturer of the phone(it isn't stock), like cyanogenmod
    5.System recovery - really it's just what it sounds like, although custom recovery is more common - clockworkmod or team win recovery project. They are essential if you want to flash a custom rom or install some mods or do other things such as formatting the system, wiping cache or simply making a backup of the system
    6.It is possible to downgrade firmware - you just download the desired firmware and flash it
    7.Probably no, but you don't really need to worry about this - J has two firmwares - 4.0.4 and 4.1.2. and it won't get any more official updates - you can flash them with flashtool without worrying about it and there is really no need to use 4.0.4
    8.As i said before - use greenify to hibernate apps.