[Q] Unable to root nook colour 1.4.2

Search This thread

ahsaniqbal

Mar 29, 2012
Hi

I am new to android stuff, and I am trying to root my nook color 1.4.2 by following

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1494901

from above guide i am unable to find how to do a complete wipe for nook color 1.4.2 so I followed

http://www.inspiredgeek.com/2011/05...ware-update-factory-reset-on-your-nook-color/

although its not for 1.4.2, may be to this reason I am unable to do complete wipe nook color 1.4.2.

Also I followed all steps to create a bootable SD card from the 1st source

but unfortunately I am unable to boot nook color from SD card, hence I am not able to root my nook color

Please Help.

rampart51

Feb 2, 2011
usually when this happens there is an issue with the SD card. Reformat it and start again.

DizzyDen

Feb 7, 2011
Additionally... if you are using an internal SD reader then try buying the cheapest USB reader you can... far too many times this is the issue writing the images to the cards.

bobstro

Jun 6, 2009
Hi

I am new to android stuff, and I am trying to root my nook color 1.4.2 by following

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1494901

from above guide i am unable to find how to do a complete wipe for nook color 1.4.2 so I followed
That is GMPOWER's ManualNooter thread. If you are running stock 1.4.2, you do not need to do a wipe beforehand. At most, you'd need to do a factory reset via Settings->Device Info->Erase & Deregister Device. If you're running an older firmware version, you can reset using the same procedure.
http://www.inspiredgeek.com/2011/05...ware-update-factory-reset-on-your-nook-color/

although its not for 1.4.2, may be to this reason I am unable to do complete wipe nook color 1.4.2.
That describes the "8 failed boot" reset method, which is another way of doing the same thing. If you can get into Settings, you don't need to do this.

Follow the other suggestions for your problem creating a bootable uSD card.

Last edited:

aj555

Mar 15, 2012
I just bought my Nook Color a couple weeks ago. I had 1.4.2 and I'm using a cheap $6 sd card. Use ManualNooter to root it. All the links for this stuff have already been posted in this thread.

On your computer
- Download and open winimage
- disk > restore virtual hard disk image on physical drive
- flash the clockwork img file to the SD
Use the one for your sd size. I had a 4gb card so I used 4gb_clockwork-3.2.0.1 (there is a list of them)
- Once complete drag and drop Manual Nooter 5.02.19 and Apps2SD Stock Kernal onto the sd

Plug the sd car into your nook and turn it on. Once you get to this point you should be able to follow the directions on the regular manual nooter page. Which is something like.
- Wipe all data, cache, ect.
- Install zip from file - ManualNooter #___
- Install Apps2sd file
- Take out sd card, and reboot
- Done

Then from there you can install other roms the same way you installed the manualnooter zip, or use rom manager

DizzyDen

Feb 7, 2011
just an FYI... you do not wipe data when using manual nooter... preferred method is wipe... download your content... root with manual nooter

mattx13

Mar 30, 2011
Unable to root

I've read multiple threads on different forums and can't find a solution. I'm trying to root a nook color 1.4.2 and install CM7.

I've tried 2 different micro sd cards, made them bootable with windiskimager, using an external card reader, downloaded the files more than once in case earlier ones were corrupted, no go.

The nook has been reset to factory. It will not boot from the SD card. every time I try it just boots normally.

Any suggestions?

Mine and my wifes nooks were older versions and I had no problems rooting and installing CM7. This one belongs to a friend and I'm about ready to throw it out the window!

DizzyDen

Feb 7, 2011
Check the device information to make certain it is in fact a Nook Color and not a Nook Tablet... we'll go from there.

aj555

Mar 15, 2012
Check the device information to make certain it is in fact a Nook Color and not a Nook Tablet... we'll go from there.

Like he said, verify this first.

I've tried 2 different micro sd cards, made them bootable with windiskimager, using an external card reader, downloaded the files more than once in case earlier ones were corrupted, no go.

The nook has been reset to factory. It will not boot from the SD card. every time I try it just boots normally.

It sounds like your using win image wrong. Make sure you have the correct clockwork file. My card is 4gb so I'm using 4gb_clockwork-3.2.0.1 and you load that with winimage. Then you drag and drop the manualnooter and apss 2 sd file.

mattx13

Mar 30, 2011
I'm almost positive that it's a nook color. I did a reset, so I'll have to get my friend to sign back into it to check. I was using a 2gb card with a 1gb image. Most threads state that doesn't matter, but I'll try the 2gb image. After burning the image I was then copying the other necessary files straight to the card.

---------- Post added at 06:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:16 PM ----------

Dammit, it's a nook tablet. Gotta start over. Thanks.

grouchylibrarian

Dec 18, 2010
run non nook apps

Like he said, verify this first.

It sounds like your using win image wrong. Make sure you have the correct clockwork file. My card is 4gb so I'm using 4gb_clockwork-3.2.0.1 and you load that with winimage. Then you drag and drop the manualnooter and apss 2 sd file.

Mine work(ed/s) find with the step-by-step here using a 2 gig sd. What I am needing to do is allow non-nook apps (market works fine) as our college has developed an campus app & I can't convince the Color Nook BNRV200 to allow its install & everything here that I have found or tried doesn't seem to work...

PK