Dual-boot of Sammy and AOSP is working!

Search This thread

RichMD

Jan 8, 2011
CT
FYI - DerTeufel1980 had a solid kernel working fairly quickly and has since worked on the recovery mods to allow installing two ROMs, etc. He has been working through a few items such as USB only working for charging, etc. He is making progress though. :)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
DerTeufel1980 has a dual-boot kernel working for the Samsung Galaxy line (Captivate, etc). With our help, he has been able to purchase a Note II to work on and I have been updating this thread with donation promises.
The post is below. You can look at his stats (a recognized developer with close to 13,000 thanks) and know that he can be trusted. Just to have him working on the Note II will be a great addition. I started the thread on the AT&T forum and then added it in the N7100/N7105 forum when I realized he lives in Germany. He and I have committed a fair amount of $ to make this happen so if you feel inclined to help out then it would be appreciated.
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=38121246&postcount=27

$200 loan for now. - RichMD
$25 - ceo.mtcl
PAID - $10 - rayandreas
PAID - $50 - mocsab
>=$10 - trism@jtype.net
PAID - $29 - btpd21
PAID - $25 - Jamice4u
PAID - $10 - Shinkinrui
PAID - $5 - muqali
PAID - $10 - rlee008
$5 - kingP1n
$5 - deviusdragger
$5 - lovekeiiy
PAID - $15 CDKJudoka
PAID - $5 ristiisa
PAID - $10 Grant Barker
** After the kernel is working - $100 - PhxDroid86
** After the kernel is working - $20 - Markor13
** After the kernel is working - $15 - trevor7428
** After the kernel is working - $30 - kashortiexda

Update 5/25 - DerTeufel1980 has spent a while perfecting a universal kernel that works on AOSP and Sammy ROMs. The thread is here > http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2239453
He had to work out some bugs that prevented troubleshooting the dual-boot problem. However, he recently returned to the dual-boot problem and has solved it. He has been able to dual-boot with AOSP as primary, Sammy as secondary and vice-versa. He is still fixing some recovery issues, etc but is hopeful that the release will be available tomorrow. This turned out to be much more challenging than other phones but that is probably why nobody else has accomplished it until he had a device to work on... :p

Last edited:

pulser_g2

Admin Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Nov 27, 2009
You should be able to port dualboot from siyah kernel on i9300

RichMD

Jan 8, 2011
CT
Re: Dual-boot donation thread - Currently >$310.00

Up to 310 now

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

RichMD

Jan 8, 2011
CT
I'm surprised there isn't a single donation from this forum considering an N7105 would be the device we are hoping DerTeufel would buy.

Last edited:

btpd21

May 23, 2011
New York
Re: No donations for dual-boot donation thread - Currently >$310.00

Please consider putting a few bucks (or euros or any other currency) towards the cause. It would be amazing to have this kernel for our devices

Sent from my GT-N7105 using xda premium

DerTeufel1980

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 31, 2011
Re: No donations for dual-boot donation thread? - Currently >$310.00

You should be able to port dualboot from siyah kernel on i9300

Yes, in theory. As far as I know, there were already people trying to port it from siyah, as well as from my i9000 kernel, but didn't get it booting.
Also, gokhanmoral did not release his recovery sources yet, and my sources would need to be modified for another device.

I'm surprised there isn't a single donation from this forum considering an N7105 would be the device we are hoping DerTeufel would buy.

Yes, that's the device, we're aiming for. It has been at eBay for about 500 €

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

RichMD

Jan 8, 2011
CT
Yes, in theory. As far as I know, there were already people trying to port it from siyah, as well as from my i9000 kernel, but didn't get it booting.
Also, gokhanmoral did not release his recovery sources yet, and my sources would need to be modified for another device.

Yes, that's the device, we're aiming for. It has been at eBay for about 500 €

Changed the OP to see if there is anything that people are willing to risk - $5.00

baileyjr

Aug 21, 2012
Cardiff
I know its early stages but it would be nice to have some details of what he plans for the kernel?

Is he planning on being able to dual boot between a 4.1.2 sammy rom an the latest 4.2 AOSP Roms.

The first doesn't really interest me, but the later would be a cool feature. Anyway count me in for a $5 donation once its up and running. :good:

RichMD

Jan 8, 2011
CT
I know its early stages but it would be nice to have some details of what he plans for the kernel?

Is he planning on being able to dual boot between a 4.1.2 sammy rom an the latest 4.2 AOSP Roms.

The first doesn't really interest me, but the later would be a cool feature. Anyway count me in for a $5 donation once its up and running. :good:

Thanks,
He said he wasn't sure if you could boot a TW and a AOSP but you should be able to dual-boot 2 different AOSP or 2 different TW ROMs. Having both would probably require swapping kernels during the dual-boot process.

baileyjr

Aug 21, 2012
Cardiff
Thanks,
He said he wasn't sure if you could boot a TW and a AOSP but you should be able to dual-boot 2 different AOSP or 2 different TW ROMs. Having both would probably require swapping kernels during the dual-boot process.

Thanks im sure the s3 dual boot kernel allowed for dual booting between Samsung and ASOP so at least theres hope. :D

DerTeufel1980

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 31, 2011
Re: I will loan the rest - Please include donation promises for AFTER dual-boot works

Thanks im sure the s3 dual boot kernel allowed for dual booting between Samsung and ASOP so at least theres hope. :D

Yes, it was. But with the release of 4.2.1 it wasn't possible anymore. I think it was because of the open source gpu driver, used by cm team at this time. This isn't compatible with tw.
I already have some ideas. Maybe we still can have both of it.

Reactions: RichMD

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    FYI - DerTeufel1980 had a solid kernel working fairly quickly and has since worked on the recovery mods to allow installing two ROMs, etc. He has been working through a few items such as USB only working for charging, etc. He is making progress though. :)
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    DerTeufel1980 has a dual-boot kernel working for the Samsung Galaxy line (Captivate, etc). With our help, he has been able to purchase a Note II to work on and I have been updating this thread with donation promises.
    The post is below. You can look at his stats (a recognized developer with close to 13,000 thanks) and know that he can be trusted. Just to have him working on the Note II will be a great addition. I started the thread on the AT&T forum and then added it in the N7100/N7105 forum when I realized he lives in Germany. He and I have committed a fair amount of $ to make this happen so if you feel inclined to help out then it would be appreciated.
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=38121246&postcount=27

$200 loan for now. - RichMD
    $25 - ceo.mtcl
    PAID - $10 - rayandreas
    PAID - $50 - mocsab
    >=$10 - trism@jtype.net
    PAID - $29 - btpd21
    PAID - $25 - Jamice4u
    PAID - $10 - Shinkinrui
    PAID - $5 - muqali
    PAID - $10 - rlee008
    $5 - kingP1n
    $5 - deviusdragger
    $5 - lovekeiiy
    PAID - $15 CDKJudoka
    PAID - $5 ristiisa
    PAID - $10 Grant Barker
    ** After the kernel is working - $100 - PhxDroid86
    ** After the kernel is working - $20 - Markor13
    ** After the kernel is working - $15 - trevor7428
    ** After the kernel is working - $30 - kashortiexda

Update 5/25 - DerTeufel1980 has spent a while perfecting a universal kernel that works on AOSP and Sammy ROMs. The thread is here > http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2239453
    He had to work out some bugs that prevented troubleshooting the dual-boot problem. However, he recently returned to the dual-boot problem and has solved it. He has been able to dual-boot with AOSP as primary, Sammy as secondary and vice-versa. He is still fixing some recovery issues, etc but is hopeful that the release will be available tomorrow. This turned out to be much more challenging than other phones but that is probably why nobody else has accomplished it until he had a device to work on... :p
    OP Updated

AW: Device obtained on 3/7 - Dual-boot kernel work has begun

hi Der Teufel
    hope you are enjoying your new toy?
    Will kernel development news be in this thread, or another development thread.
    How are things going with dual boot, or is it too early to say?
    all the best

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

I didn't change anything dualboot related yet. First I need to have a stable and fast base to start from.
    After there is something to download, ill start a new thread, as well as posting the link in here.

Gesendet von meinem GT-N7105 mit Tapatalk 2
    AW: Device obtained on 3/7 - Dual-boot kernel work has begun

I got some issues, which I couldn't solve yet, also, I was running out of time the last few days.
    I am going to try something new tomorrow, what hopefully will be working (using logical partitions instead of crazy bind mounts, which is working well for gokhanmoral, but not for me,... I just don't know why)

Gesendet von meinem GT-N7105 mit Tapatalk 2
    AW: Device purchased - Thanks, hopefully 3/5 he will have it

hi Der Teufel

Have you got your Note 2 yet ? Initial thoughts ?

Still waiting. It got to post office yesterday. Should arrive tomorrow :)

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9000 mit Tapatalk 2