[SCRIPT - ROOT] Moto X Root Script (Locked Bootloader)

Search This thread

csos95

Apr 20, 2013
Been trying to root on 4.4 for the past two hours but unfortunately i'm getting the "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process" error on all 3 telnet steps.
EDIT: I'm now stuck on 4.2.2 I've tried selecting "6. revert Moto X to 4.4" but after the warning screen it just goes back to the main menu. I've tried using system update 3 time and it failed every time, I did a factory reset and tried twice more, redownloading all of the files and trying again but if that doesn't work I have no clue where to go from there. :(
EDIT2: I'm going through the steps manually and so far it seems to be going well.
EDIT3: doing it all manually worked but was a pain in the ass. Hopefully 640k can find a solution for the telnet stuff.

Last edited:

phinnaeus

Apr 25, 2010
Seattle
Been trying to root on 4.4 for the past two hours but unfortunately i'm getting the "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process" error on all 3 telnet steps.
EDIT: I'm now stuck on 4.2.2 I've tried selecting "6. revert Moto X to 4.4" but after the warning screen it just goes back to the main menu. I've tried using system update 3 time and it failed every time, I did a factory reset and tried twice more, redownloading all of the files and trying again but if that doesn't work I have no clue where to go from there. :(
EDIT2: I'm going through the steps manually and so far it seems to be going well.
EDIT3: doing it all manually worked but was a pain in the ass. Hopefully 640k can find a solution for the telnet stuff.

I think the problem is RockMyMoto added an equation you have to solve inside the telnet shell which this script is unable to parse/solve.

nm3210

May 2, 2011
I think the problem is RockMyMoto added an equation you have to solve inside the telnet shell which this script is unable to parse/solve.

I spent a while rooting last night and came to the same conclusion. Would it maybe work to use an older version of RockMyMoto? Anyone have one?

phinnaeus

Apr 25, 2010
Seattle
I spent a while rooting last night and came to the same conclusion. Would it maybe work to use an older version of RockMyMoto? Anyone have one?

It might be possible to programmatically solve the equation or proxy that bit of interaction back to the user. I'm on my work computer so I don't have the Go!.bat file to open it up and try it out but there's also the Moto X Toolkit in the other development forum which has an option to run RockMyMoto, not sure if it has a work around for the equation or not.

iifuzz

Jun 18, 2009
Does this unlock the boot loader?
If I need to send the phone back in, can I return it back to how it was?

ryanwv24

Oct 29, 2010
Charleston
So I have a question. Just got a Moto X from AT&T and it shipped with 4.2.2 software. What is the best method to root and keep root after ota?

Also what recovery can I use?

Coming from Verizon on HTC Droid DNA.

Thanks

Redjax

Oct 5, 2011
I, for the LIFE of me, cannot root this phone.

Let me just type out the process I've gone through to see if anyone can see what I'm doing wrong.

1. Flash back to 4.2.2 camera using RSD or the manual fastboot flash xx method.
2. Skip setup, connect to WiFi
3. Go through RockMyMoto part of this script (doesn't seem to work for me anymore, all the steps complete, but SuperSU says the binary isn't installed).
4. I've already removed write protection, so I skip that step.
5. Flash back to clean 4.2.2 camera
6. Take OTA
7. Try using the install.sh (never works).

Am I doing something wrong? This just plain doesn't work anymore.

stillthisguy

Dec 2, 2007
Omaha, NE
I, for the LIFE of me, cannot root this phone.

Let me just type out the process I've gone through to see if anyone can see what I'm doing wrong.

1. Flash back to 4.2.2 camera using RSD or the manual fastboot flash xx method.
2. Skip setup, connect to WiFi
3. Go through RockMyMoto part of this script (doesn't seem to work for me anymore, all the steps complete, but SuperSU says the binary isn't installed).
4. I've already removed write protection, so I skip that step.
5. Flash back to clean 4.2.2 camera
6. Take OTA
7. Try using the install.sh (never works).

Am I doing something wrong? This just plain doesn't work anymore.

I know you were being helped in the other thread, but just in case.

Since you already have WP removed

1. Flash back to clean 4.2.2 camera update
2. Do the first part of slapmymoto
3. Install 4.4
4. Do the last part of slapmymoto
5. After issuing the last 3 commands of slapmymoto, wait about 1 minute, then reboot
6. After reboot, install SuperSU from play store and update binaries.
7. Profit.

themcfly

Jun 24, 2013
Hello,

Just received my XT1052, european MOTO X. How can I know if this script will work with it? I can't find any info online on this model, also don't know to which US edition could be comparable. Thanks in advance.

Redjax

Oct 5, 2011
I know you were being helped in the other thread, but just in case.

Since you already have WP removed

1. Flash back to clean 4.2.2 camera update
2. Do the first part of slapmymoto
3. Install 4.4
4. Do the last part of slapmymoto
5. After issuing the last 3 commands of slapmymoto, wait about 1 minute, then reboot
6. After reboot, install SuperSU from play store and update binaries.
7. Profit.

Ok, I've tried this literally 15 times in the past couple days, and on the last step, I always get stuck with "/system/bin/sh: can't create /sys/kernel/uevent_helper: Permission Denied."

I have tried rooting this device every possible way I can find on the Internet; I've used the official SlapMyMoto post, I've been pointed to a Reddit thread, I've used a theUnlockr guide, I've watched YouTube videos, I've followed steps users have given me to try, and I've tried a few "SlapMyMoto didn't work? Try this" threads, with ABSOLUTELY NO LUCK. This device is driving me absolutely nuts, I'm ready to stomp on it with all the force I can send through my leg. All I want is root access. Is there anything else I can try before just giving up and selling it, and getting a different device that actually works?

stillthisguy

Dec 2, 2007
Omaha, NE
Ok, I've tried this literally 15 times in the past couple days, and on the last step, I always get stuck with "/system/bin/sh: can't create /sys/kernel/uevent_helper: Permission Denied."

I have tried rooting this device every possible way I can find on the Internet; I've used the official SlapMyMoto post, I've been pointed to a Reddit thread, I've used a theUnlockr guide, I've watched YouTube videos, I've followed steps users have given me to try, and I've tried a few "SlapMyMoto didn't work? Try this" threads, with ABSOLUTELY NO LUCK. This device is driving me absolutely nuts, I'm ready to stomp on it with all the force I can send through my leg. All I want is root access. Is there anything else I can try before just giving up and selling it, and getting a different device that actually works?

Since you have listed everything else, you could try my toolkit. Have had a lot of people report that it worked for them. After installing, choose option 11, make sure you have the correct files in the correct folders, then choose option 1. Answer the first question No, then answer the second question Yes. If you run into any issues you can comment in my thread as well.

razmalai

Jul 12, 2009
How can I undo the changes generated by this script?

Used this script on T-mobile version, bootloader locked

No luck, did not gain root access, I believe, because had issues with telnet as other users have had. Back on 4.4 now

Would like to:

1) Accept the latest OTA (Blur_Version.161.44.25.ghost_row.Retail.en.US.zip) - installation aborts!

Tried installing the OTA manually however when in Recovery, when verifying current system, get error '"/modem/image/dsps.b00" has unexpected contents. Installation aborted

2) Install apps NOT from Play store, but can't because entering security tab is now impossible

Is it possible to fix this by completely restoring the original state of the phone somehow? Thanks.

Last edited:

ashrob

Jul 15, 2009
"Moto X factory image was NOT found" and yet it's right there, in the folder, downloaded from the link in the OP. I've tried changing the filename etc but still the same error. EU Moto XT1052.

Any ideas anyone please?

Flexia32

Dec 15, 2010
OnePlus 9 Pro
I was having issues with Telnet and I think it had to do with the Telnet server not being installed in windows. Make sure you go to Control Panel, Programs, Turn Windows Features On and OFF and Make sure BOTH telnet folders are selected.

Reactions: rubiksmoose

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Script removed/Effort "canceled" (see release notes)!

Dear fellow XDA'ers, i have written a quick and simple script to tie in all of the great work done by jcase and beaups that helps you root your Moto X. This script simply follows the instructions written by jcase and beaups and automates those scripts with a simple menu.

This script should technically work for "any" Moto X on "any" carrier, provided the methods contained within have the same success rate across all carriers. I do not have the capacity, nor experience, to trap for all situations.

This script ASSUMES that you already have the Motorola drivers installed and your device has successfully connected to your computer via USB Debugging Mode. If you need the drivers, they can be found here.

Instructions:
    1. Download and extract this script on to your Windows Desktop.
    2. Download ALL of the following to the same folder as the GO!.CMD ("640k's Moto X Root Script" Folder). These files should NOT be unzipped:
      • your specific 4.2.2 factory image.and/or 4.4 factory images (if you are on 4.4, you will need BOTH images).
      • jcase's RockMyMoto (4.2.2) and SlapMyMoto (4.4).
      • beaups' MotoWpNoMo.
      • Saurik's Cydia Impactor
    3. Execute Go!.CMD and follow the on-screen prompts.

Links:

Disclaimers:

1. I make no warranties of any kind regarding the accuracy or efficiency of this script or the processes contained within. This script was tested on a single device and was written based off of the instructions provided within these forums. You can perform these steps yourself!
    2. jcase will NOT support the use of this script. Should you run in to issues with any of the functionality/procedures written specifically by jcase, you will not be supported by jcase unless you are following his methods.
    3. beaups will NOT support the use of this script. Should you run in to issues with any of the functionality/procedures written specifically by beaups, you will not be supported by beaups unless you are following his methods.

Because I have compiled other's hard work into a command-line script, i have decided to distribute my script uncompiled. That way, in the event of major changes, significant errors, etc., that I don't have time to address, the user community can lend a hand. If you find my work useful, please Thank Me.

WARNING
    • Make sure your device is fully charged before beginning!
    • Some people have reported an inability to flash their device, have received "unknown errors", weird partition errors and general chaos during the flashing/imaging process. If this happens to you, try a different USB port. I have read threads/seen reports where sometimes USB 3.0 ports cause failures during this process. Change to a USB 2.0 port and try again.
      [*]In general, it is difficult to completely brick your device using this method. As long as you can get to the fastboot menu, your device is recoverable. If your phone will not power on, you did not follow one of the two warnings above.

TIPS:
    • If "Waiting for device" seems to be taking a really long time (your device is ready, but the script hasn't picked it up yet), try either turning off USB Debugging and then back on, or try removing the USB cable and re-inserting it.
    • If you are on 4.4, looking for root, your device will be re-imaged two times with 4.2.2. Don't input your details until the 2nd time, to avoid having to repeat your effort.
    • Connect to your WiFi before enabling USB Debugging Mode to avoid IP Address errors. The batch script tends to get funny on some of the retries. I've tried working out most of the bugs.
    • I'm confident I haven't worked out 100% of the bugs in this script, although I've tried very hard. I've only tested it with one device, the XT1060. If you have issues, please do not PM me, post them here in the thread.
    • If for some reason the script abnormally ends or you close out of it, without running the cleanup process at the end, ADB will remain present and cause an error in the script, which will cause the script to fail. Browse to the folder with the CMD prompt and type "ADB kill-server" (kill-server is case-sensitive). This will get the script running again.

Thanks jcase, beaups, saurik and anyone else who has contributed to this effort!

Changelog:
    • 1/9/2014: Initial Release. Only tested on one device. Better bug management within each step, more options at advanced menu, including ADB Debug Window. Removed auto-upgrade to 4.4. I suspect this is where my woes were.
    • 1/9/2014: Removed ADMINISTRATOR requirement. I don't think this will do any harm, but it was creating conflicts with Windows 8.
    • 1/9/2014: Changed TELNET conditions to trap for user interaction.
    • 1/14/2014: Adjusted initial TELNET session.
    • 1/14/2014: Corrected a type on line 366 (would have given an error).
    • 1/15/2014: Re-worked TELNET routine again.
    • 1/16/2014: Simplified menu options, included automated checking for write protection. This check will skip steps once WP has already been turned off.
    • 1/16/2014: Included additional instruction, including more messaging and better message waiting.
    • 1/16/2014: Added additional messaging for troubleshooting purposes.
    • 1/16/2014: Corrected a bug related to BATCH language that was ending the TELNET steps.
    • 1/17/2014: Made another adjustment to TELNET handling.
    • 1/17/2014: Added additional error checking.
    • 1/17/2014: Added some wait time on the second TELNET phase.
    • 2/28/2014: Canceled script effort (ran out of time). With 4.4.2 released, none of the current root methods are valid or work.

BEFORE YOU START WITH ANY METHOD THAT REQUIRES YOU TO WIPE YOUR DEVICE, MAKE SURE YOUR DEVICE IS 100% FULLY CHARGED!! IF YOUR DEVICE SHUTS DOWN WHILE THE SYSTEM IS FLASHING YOU WILL BRICK YOUR DEVICE!!!
    Just curious to approximate numbers on people who have used this with success.
    Oh and you should put up a donate button 640. I know that you are using work from other people, but you give them all the credit for what they have done. I'm an adb noob, and I have been waiting for a relatively simple one click solution for root since I took the camera update.

Thanks for the thought, but this exercise was really proof of concept for me. If I can make a few people happy, I hope they just hit the thanks button. All of these steps, anyone can do without the script. I don't want to step on the toes of the people who did the actual work. In the future, should one of these devs make a change or need help with a script, I hope that they reach out to me because of my success history.
    Just curious to approximate numbers on people who have used this with success.
    Oh and you should put up a donate button 640. I know that you are using work from other people, but you give them all the credit for what they have done. I'm an adb noob, and I have been waiting for a relatively simple one click solution for root since I took the camera update.
    Ok. Here's the deal. There's going to be some manual work for you.

1. Close out of the script.
    2. Open a CMD window and change to the directory this script is located.
    3. Type the command, "ADB kill-server", hit enter, and do it again.
    4. Download the new script and either start over, or use the advanced menu to go through each step.

Thanks for your help and patience!! I'm going to be taking off for the day. Your phone is currently usable, just not rooted. If you want to stop and pick up tomorrow, that's cool. I'll try to hop on the forums later to check in. This is the only pesky little bug I hadn't been able to tackle. I think I've got it, however, so please try again. Starting over won't hurt anything, just take extra time. But I recommend it just so we can run the script from end-to-end.

THANKS AGAIN!
    Thank you! That clears things up. I'll give this a try later and let you know how it went

based on my testing, unless something goes completely wrong, it should be pretty hard to completely bork your phone. if you get into a bootloop, the advanced menu can help you restore your system files as long as you can get in to the bootloader (usually you can).