[Q] Tmobile & Nexus 5

Search This thread

SwiftLeeO

Jan 29, 2014
So I currently have Verizon. I saw that T-Mobile has a way to get me out of my contract (pay my ETF). However, I've heard that T-Mobile isn't that good, so I've come here to ask anyone who has T-Mobile and the Nexus 5... How is their service? How is the phone? Is it worth switching to T-Mobile for the Nexus 5 vs keeping my Verizon Moto X.

simms22

Recognized Contributor - R.I.P
Jun 4, 2009
BROOKLYN!
www.androidcommunity.com
So I currently have Verizon. I saw that T-Mobile has a way to get me out of my contract (pay my ETF). However, I've heard that T-Mobile isn't that good, so I've come here to ask anyone who has T-Mobile and the Nexus 5... How is their service? How is the phone? Is it worth switching to T-Mobile for the Nexus 5 vs keeping my Verizon Moto X.

if youre in a city, or around one, tmobile is awesome. if you live in the country, its a different story. service is great here in nyc, the fastest lte speeds from any provider here. its much less expensive than verizon, and completely unlimited high speed data speeds. oh, and the nexus 5 is awesome :)

SwiftLeeO

Jan 29, 2014
if youre in a city, or around one, tmobile is awesome. if you live in the country, its a different story. service is great here in nyc, the fastest lte speeds from any provider here. its much less expensive than verizon, and completely unlimited high speed data speeds. oh, and the nexus 5 is awesome :)

I live in more of a suburb type thing. I'm in florida but on the coverage map around where I am, it doesn't drop below Good so I'm thinking I might do it tommorow.

I'm definitely not in the country. I'm about an hour away from Tampa so use that as a general location.

simms22

Jun 4, 2009
BROOKLYN!
www.androidcommunity.com

SwiftLeeO

Jan 29, 2014
You guys wouldn't happen to have any clue as to the trade-in credit would you? I have a VZW GS4 and a Moto X Dev to trade for T-Mobile for the "get out of my contract" thing, and I can most likely get $0 down on the Nexus', but I want to put forward atleast $200 on each phone in advance with the trade in credit. I mean these phones are not even a month old, and they are in mint condition so could anyone knowledgeable give me a rough estimate of what I should expect? it goes up to $300 apparently, and I should get that or over $200 for the Galaxy, but even if I only get 200 for the moto, I'd still be happy.

PhilipTD

Dec 17, 2010
LI
Google Pixel 6 Pro
You guys wouldn't happen to have any clue as to the trade-in credit would you? I have a VZW GS4 and a Moto X Dev to trade for T-Mobile for the "get out of my contract" thing, and I can most likely get $0 down on the Nexus', but I want to put forward atleast $200 on each phone in advance with the trade in credit. I mean these phones are not even a month old, and they are in mint condition so could anyone knowledgeable give me a rough estimate of what I should expect? it goes up to $300 apparently, and I should get that or over $200 for the Galaxy, but even if I only get 200 for the moto, I'd still be happy.
They offered me about 60% of the Swappa price for my year-old SIII.

SwiftLeeO

Jan 29, 2014
They offered me about 60% of the Swappa price for my year-old SIII.

Ah okay because I've got a Galaxy S4 and a Moto X Dev Edition. They are in perfect condition (cases since day one), and I haven't even owned them for 30 days so hopefully I'll atleast get 200 each.

Honestly I'm just switching to Verizon because they don't have the Nexus 5. The monthly price decrease is just a perk.

Tunderpimp

Jul 13, 2012
You should know that tmoblie only offers the 16gb version. I have tmoblie and got my N5 from gplay cuz I want 32gb. I live in central va. I drive all over alllll over. In cities and urban areas like Richmond, Baltimore and DC I get LTE 30 plus. Surrounding suburbs are the same. In places like boweling green, south hill I get G and E. I also visit family in pasco Fl and the Boone's Vt. In FL it's 30 plus. In Vt , new Hampshire no service at all.

P.S all I needed down was 60 bucks

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

SwiftLeeO

Jan 29, 2014
You should know that tmoblie only offers the 16gb version. I have tmoblie and got my N5 from gplay cuz I want 32gb. I live in central va. I drive all over alllll over. In cities and urban areas like Richmond, Baltimore and DC I get LTE 30 plus. Surrounding suburbs are the same. In places like boweling green, south hill I get G and E. I also visit family in pasco Fl and the Boone's Vt. In FL it's 30 plus. In Vt , new Hampshire no service at all.

P.S all I needed down was 60 bucks

Well I live in Pasco so thats good xD I would buy it from GPlay, but unfortunately the terms of the switch plan for them to pay the ETF is to get a phone they have, thus I have to get the 16GB. but doesnt the Meenova SD card reader work with the N5?

I'm not one to complain about the size of the phone though either way because I only put a few albums and a few apps.

Tunderpimp

Jul 13, 2012
I get around 32 at Hudson beach area. At the island I was get around 16 but that's almost 3 miles off the coast.

SwiftLeeO

Jan 29, 2014
Well as far as coverage goes it looks good. Also, you can get the phone's unlocked after 90 days of service as long as your in good standing and your device is paid in full right? I mean just in case, I would like to know. I couldn't find much info on their website about this, and I've gotten mixed answers from the local stores I've called. One guy said they are locked to tmobile, another said 90 days, and on google i found a site that said 40 days.

ummduh

Jan 23, 2011
Washington Co, WI
OnePlus 11
I just did exactly that.

T-mobile is hit and miss. It really depends on where you live.

It works GREAT where I live.As long as I stay out of the hills (i'm guessing, haven't had to go up there since I switched over) I'd say T-Mobile's coverage is actually better than VZW here.

We got $100 for each of our S3's (16GB) and like $46 for my daughter's like 4 month old iphone 4.

My store told me they'd unlock after 90 days of good payment history if you call and ask.

And BTW, they have an estimator on their website you can use.

Last edited:

simms22

Jun 4, 2009
BROOKLYN!
www.androidcommunity.com
I just did exactly that.

It works GREAT where I live.As long as I stay out of the hills (i'm guessing, haven't had to go up there since I switched over) I'd say T-Mobile's coverage is actually better than VZW here.

We got $100 for each of our S3's (16GB) and like $46 for my daughter's like 4 month old iphone 4.

My store told me they'd unlock after 90 days of good payment history if you call and ask.

but the nexus 5 is already unlocked, no need for them to unlock it. you can buy it from tmobile and use it on att if you want, or on sprint.

Reactions: ummduh

SwiftLeeO

Jan 29, 2014
I just did exactly that.

And BTW, they have an estimator on their website you can use.

Yeah but the estimator gives me some unwanted prices. I did talk to a rep and they said the price can go up depending on the condition but in any case, I'm going to get the Nexus 5. As far as the Nexus 5 being unlocked, is that true? I mean I could literally buy it from T-Mobile and if i dont like the service i can pay it off quick and just go to straight talk?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I just did exactly that.

but the nexus 5 is already unlocked, no need for them to unlock it. you can buy it from tmobile and use it on att if you want, or on sprint.