MX Player Codec?

Search This thread

PeteCress

Feb 21, 2014
I tried your file again using FX file manager and I get the same results, smooth playback entire time.

I have a tivo, TV and a computer hard wired on my network and only my table uses my wireless connection. Have you tried using Media House that I mentioned in one of my other postings, you may get a different result and it shows album art and shows a photo from video as an icon.

I think we may be getting somewhere.

Using Media House, I got smooth playback after copying a file to my NAS box (Media House did not recognize my PC as a media repository).

Then I used MX Player via FX to play the same video from the NAS box and the audio problem appeared as usual. Aimed MX via FX at the same video on the PC just to be sure and got the same bad result.

Media House's introduction dialog contains words to the effect of "Media House does not play video itself, instead it uses one of your installed video players.".

When using Media House to play the vid, I selected MX Player from it's menu - getting good, clear playback.

Looking at it from the outside, that's telling me that the problem is somewhere in the way that FX reaches out over the LAN and retrieves the problem file that it then feeds to MX Player. Media House must use a different method of getting the data before it feeds the same file to MX Player.

That still leaves the puzzle of why your FX file manager gives smooth playback, but at least it seems to localize the problem somewhat.... and also explain why the laptop with Windows Media Player works.

My FX is v2.3.1.7. Seems to me like, somewhere along the line, I paid extra for network access; but I cannot find anything like an add-on in my ApplicationManger's list, so I must be wrong. All I have is FX (14.45 MB), FX Key (129 KB), and FX Root Access (40.00 KB).

If I can figure out how to make Media House recognize my PC as one of it's repositories, I might have a workaround. I don't have enough free space on the NAS box to move my recorded TV there.

Last edited:

PeteCress

Feb 21, 2014
I think we may be getting somewhere.

This is an update for anybody else who has been here.

I replaced FX File Explorer v2.3.1.7 with ES File Explorer v3.1.0.3 and the problem has gone away.

Still using MX Player to render the videos, just changed the middleman.

This still begs the question of why kKretch's playback is OK using FX/MX, and my guess is that the likes of me will never know.

But for me, at least: Problem Solved. (or, at least, worked around....)

Last edited:

kkretch

Jan 1, 2013
near Pittsburgh
This is an update for anybody else who has been here.

I replaced FX File Explorer v2.3.1.7 with ES File Explorer v3.1.0.3 and the problem has gone away.

Still using MX Player to render the videos, just changed the middleman.

This still begs the question of why kKretch's playback is OK using FX/MX, and my guess is that the likes of me will never know.

But for me, at least: Problem Solved. (or, at least, worked around....)

Could be one of many variables............

Glad your up and running now.

Glen L

Sep 20, 2007
What makes it better?

Its free.
it supports FTP playing
it supports SAMBA
its free
no adverts
it supports WebDAV
it supports HTTP bookmarks
its free :)
it supports subtitles
it supports multi window
its free :)
it has popup playing capabilities
it has gestures controls (left side swipe up / down for volume, right side swipe up / down for brightness)
it supports playing from NAS
and did I mention that its free? :)
Why not try it yourself to find out

AMG_Roadster

Sep 30, 2013
I will try it again. I used it several years ago but settled on MX. Maybe things have changed and I will like it better this time.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have a codec called ARM v7 Neon, but my tablet's processor is Exynos 5 Octa.

Since I am having stuttering issues with HD video streamed over AC WiFi, I figured maybe the codec was an issue.

If I aim my AC-enabled laptop at the same HD video file over the same WiFi connection it plays on Windows Media Player without a hitch.

MX player is good for about 25 seconds of "good" playback before the audio clipping (?) sets in. It's not horrendous - the speakers are legible and the image looks perfect. Pausing playback for five seconds and then resuming gives another 25 seconds of good playback.

So.... have I got the right codec?

Some other issue?

Can you tell me what the total bit rate is and is in an .mp4, .mkv, .avi or .mov?
    It is a .MPG file recorded straight from the over-the-air stream.

Windows.Properties.Video says Total Bitrate = 16,408kbps, Data rate = 16,216kbps

Windows.Properties.Audio says Bit rate = 192kbps, Audio sample rate = 48 kHz

I've got a trimmed version (2 minutes/200 megs) that I could post somewhere, but to reproduce the problem it would have to be viewed over 802.11AC.

Video looks a-ok, it's the audio that is problematic. Over N, audio is almost unintelligible right from the start. But over AC it's perfect for about the first ten seconds and then playback has to be paused for five seconds to get perfect playback for another 20-30 seconds. But even when it's "bad" under AC, it's not nearly as bad as under N.

But I have to keep coming back to the fact that an AC-capable laptop has no problems at all.

Video stream playback issues are hard to track down so it may take a lot of trial and error. So get ready for a lot of questions.

I think this could be an audio codec issue not video.........

If you give me a link to that trimmed file I can test it as I have an AC1300 router.

Are you making these video files or are you downloading them? If your making them can I ask why are you using .mpg over say .mkv or .mp4 as I believe those have better audio codec choices.

When you go into your tablets wifi settings what is the link speed in Mbps?

Are you the same distance from the router when you use the laptop and the tablet? Are you streaming this from your computer or from a drive on the router?

Have you installed an app like Wifi Analyzer to see what your signal stream looks like.

Have you tried a few of the other video players in the play store like the ones below to see if they may work better.
    Mobo Video Player Pro
    HD Video Player
    iMPlayer+
    VPlayer Video Player

Here is a workaround - URL munged to fool the forum:

doubleyoudoubleyoudoubleyou dot filedropper dot com slash charlierose-4476563-0truncatedto2minutes02

This is my first time using FileDropper, so let me know if there is any problem and I will put it someplace else.

OK, got the file.

Voice to lips is off on desktop pc, converted to.MP4 voice is right on and file went from 200mb to 145mb with same compression. What model SilconDust tuner are you using as the picture is great. So is your stream from a recorded file on your hard drive or a direct live stream from your SilconDust tuner.

How are you getting the signal to your tablet, with an app?

Streams to my SM-P600 using MXplayer on a 5GHz N router voice is out of sync a little but no audio clipping for entire 2 minute clip.

Will update later about the 5GHz AC router as it is at my home.
    All I can find on the devices is "Silicon Dust HD HomeRun Dual ATSC Tuner". No model numbers. I have two boxes. Each box has two tuners in it.

I use SageTV to schedule and record. As I understand it from the SageTV docs there is zero processing/transcoding going on. Sage just takes the signal from the HD HomeRun and writes it to disc. Voice/video synch for the local PBS station is not always that wonderful - even when viewed directly on my TV.

That one may have gone over my head.

I am using FX File Manager to link to the Windows-shared drive on the PC where the files live. When I "Open" a .mpg file, Android turns it over to MX Player unless I do an "Open With". So I *think* the answer is that the tablet app is reading the file directly.

Unencumbered by any knowledge of this stuff, I'm starting to think I have a problem with my tablet. If it plays OK on your P600 over the AC router maybe you can share the exact filenames of both your video and audio drivers and, hopefully, there will be a difference against mine....

OK, got the file.

Voice to lips is off on desktop pc, converted to.MP4 voice is right on and file went from 200mb to 145mb with same compression. What model SilconDust tuner are you using as the picture is great. So is your stream from a recorded file on your hard drive or a direct live stream from your SilconDust tuner.

How are you getting the signal to your tablet, with an app?

Streams to my SM-P600 using MXplayer on a 5GHz N router voice is out of sync a little but no audio clipping for entire 2 minute clip.

Will update later about the 5GHz AC router as it is at my home.

Your file plays in a stream without any clipping over my AC router.
    Can you say what "drivers" you are using for audio and video?

Quotes because I am not cure of the terminology.... "Codecs" ?

I'm thinking that if it plays ok on your P600 over AC, the problem must be in my P600 - especially since it plays ok on my Windows laptop over AC.

We are both using MX Player, right?

Please tell me were your files reside (computer, laptop, router??) and how your laptop gets and plays them VS. how does you tablet get access to those files.

My files are stored on a hard drive that is attached to a USB port on my AC router, my tablet uses MediaHouse UPnP / DLNA browse to gain access to those files and then MX Player opens the video file for viewing.