Fosmon Hybo Snap case review

Search This thread

spannerz

Nov 7, 2010
Brighton
Thanks for the great review, I saw this on Amazon UK (US seller who ships to UK) and wondered about it, the built in screen protector is what interested me as I have various cases but wanted something stronger to protect the screen. But now I'm wondering if there's any point buying this case if you're all ripping out the screen protector! :D

confused! :/

Takenover83

Nov 6, 2009
Got mine today (blue vesion). Loving it. I do wish the back was a a bit more rubbery, for a a little more grip. And the screen a little less rubbery, but I am guessing that will get better with use. It looks great, though. Can't beat it for the price I paid ($6.30 USA, free shipping).

wolfen69

Feb 25, 2012
Woodstock, GA USA
mine arrived today, first thing I did was pull that horrible screen protector out as I am using a glass one.

Not that I'm going to buy one, but does it feel more flimsy without the screen protector on it? I'm guessing the screen protector adds some stability to it.

---------- Post added at 09:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 PM ----------

But now I'm wondering if there's any point buying this case if you're all ripping out the screen protector! :D

confused! :/

Yeah, I figure you may as well buy a case without the screen protector. But what do I know?

eemgee

Dec 27, 2013
Teesside
no it's fine, the hard plastic goes up the sides and the softer tpu covers the edges of the screen where most cracks start

BarnOwl

Jan 21, 2003
The Netherlands
www.parketvloeren.nl
no it's fine, the hard plastic goes up the sides and the softer tpu covers the edges of the screen where most cracks start

Yeah, but is there no gap between the tpu and the screen? As you took away the protection.

Anybody have any good photo's to show this? It is hard to see on this photo:

noprotector1_zpsa2201129.jpg

Last edited:

digitalmahdi

Sep 12, 2009
mine just arrived today!
the screen protector was thrown away by me in the first 5 minute! that was a disaster! the case seems good, and the grip is okay. but i feel the volumes and the power button are too sensitive now! with a very low press they work! i think i should get use to it and take care of my fingers!
overall its good and im satisfied

spannerz

Nov 7, 2010
Brighton
mine just arrived today!
the screen protector was thrown away by me in the first 5 minute! that was a disaster! the case seems good, and the grip is okay. but i feel the volumes and the power button are too sensitive now! with a very low press they work! i think i should get use to it and take care of my fingers!
overall its good and im satisfied

What's the problem with the screen protector? is it because it's plastic and scratches easily or doesn't respond well to touch?

digitalmahdi

Sep 12, 2009
It did not last long enough for scratch test, it didn't response well and also it wasn't beautifully stick to the screen. Somehow there was a gap between screen and the screen protector

Sent from my XT1033 using Tapatalk

eemgee

Dec 27, 2013
Teesside
What's the problem with the screen protector? is it because it's plastic and scratches easily or doesn't respond well to touch?
it doesn't touch the screen so you get that bit of spring in it and I suspect dust will get in the speaker and camera holes.
I'm using a glass protector and with both the sensitivity was hopeless.

also I found it too reflective

Reactions: digitalmahdi

digitalmahdi

Sep 12, 2009
it doesn't touch the screen so you get that bit of spring in it and I suspect dust will get in the speaker and camera holes.

bro do you have problem with charger cover also? when i charge my phone it gets shaped, so i have to hold it closed with my hand for a while to make it get in again! do you have the same issue?

mke1973

Dec 3, 2010
Thanks OP. I got my case yesterday (they had been on back order). Without the flimsy plastic "sreen protector" in it, it's a decent case for the price.

Alphazure

Jan 20, 2014
Got my case. The screen protector would have been nice if it had a gap, but instead it stuck to the screen on some parts and there was rainbowing, the screen looked like different colors...it was bad. I took it off and it feels like a TPU case in terms of flexibility on the edges. I'm not sure if I'm satisfied at this point.

Reactions: NextGenGTR

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Fosmon Hybo Snap case for the Moto G - Updated review - built-in protector IS removable!

I mentioned this case in the Moto G case list thread, it arrived today: giving a more detailed review since people requested it :)

Caveat: Update: Seller promptly refunded the money I had to pay for extra shipping, would purchase again from them. On an annoying note, I got charged an extra $1.13 by the USPS for inadequate shipping by the seller. Filing a complaint with Amazon -- it's a small amount of money, but sellers should not be advertising free shipping if they're going to do that sort of thing.

Cost: $4.50 + additional $1.13 for USPS charged shipping. Seller has since upped the price to $7.95 on Amazon & Ebay.

Onto the case itself:
    - Two-piece TPU / polycarbonate shell case, with covered ports and a built-in screen protector
    - Put on the TPU part first, then push polycarbonate part on top, then click the TPU flaps in place all around the phone. Extremely easy to both insert and remove the phone into the case.

The case itself does not feel cheap for such an inexpensive case. Both parts fit together very well -- the TPU piece snaps into the hard back and I didn't notice any large gaps or seams or other signs of shoddy workmanship aside from 1 point that I'll get to in a moment.

The TPU is rigid but pliable (not the stiffest TPU I've seen, but somewhat firmer than the rubber band around the official moto G grip shell). It's close to true black (not dark grey) and the sides have a nice texture for good grippiness, with a satin finish overall.

The polycarbonate (hard plastic) back is very matte and has nearly the same texture as the official Moto G backs, albeit a little more "velvety" (smoother feeling, hard to explain). It looks like it will also be a fingerprint magnet as well.

Both the headphone and microUSB ports have covers. The headphone cover is snapped in very securely, but the microUSB cover does not and sits slightly ajar (I'm not sure how it will hold up to repeated opening/closing). There are two small holes on the top and bottom of the case to allow for the two mics (regular mic + (noise reduction?) mic on top).

The back cover raises the camera/flash/logo/speaker off a table surface by around 1mm -- sufficient to prevent scratching, imho.

The buttons remain responsive with the TPU covering them --- in fact I'd say they're more sensitive because they are raised instead of recessed, this could be a plus or minus to you. Hides the jiggliness of my power button.

Updated: I was able to remove the built-in protector easily after cutting the protector in the middle from the cutout for the speaker down near the bottom end --- with it split, gently pulling one of the sides allowed me to smoothly peel off the entire protector with what looked like little or no residue. I am much happier with the case now that I'm able to use it without the built-in protector. Including photos of the peel job + what it looks like (edges of the screen lip, very clean) afterwards.
    The built-in screen protector is the part I feel the most ambivalent about. I'm not a fan of built-in protectors in cases normally. This one is typical in that it sits slightly above the surface of the phone (not an adhesive type protector). You will hear a slight "click" when you're tapping on the screen and I find my finger dragging more on the screen. Responsiveness seems to remain the same, however. I had no problem firing off several texts and an email, or navigating through the phone itself. Clarity and color remains the same (included a photo of the phone screen on with the screen protector as a visual) --- the "greenish" tint in the photo is actually just a protective film you remove from the protector prior to installing the case. Does not interfere with the proximity sensor.

Conclusion:
    Overall for a case under $10 it seems like a good deal. I'm still annoyed with the shipping issue, but the case itself is pretty solid --- it fits the phone exactly, flaps snap in as they're supposed to with the exception of the microUSB cover. I compared the thickness of the TPU around the sides of the phone with the Moto G Grip Shell, and it's definitely quite a bit thicker. While this adds more bulk to the phone, it also increases the protectiveness. The thinnest parts of the TPU are covered with the hard plastic and gives more added protection.

I'll be keeping my phone in this case for now and will update this review if anything else comes up.

Photos: (I kept my other cases, the Moto Grip Shell and the Rearth Ringke Slim case, for size & color comparison in some of them)

3_zps250d26a2.jpg

1_zps542d03ed.jpg

2_zpsb7d8d7b4.jpg

4_zps6ab60279.jpg

5_zpsb1a1faf9.jpg

6_zpse8f7d49d.jpg

7_zps6cd76c34.jpg

I hope this review is useful for people who are looking for an inexpensive case for their Moto G :good:

EDIT:
    Added another two photos to compare the "black" color of the case versus other cases and other black objects:

In the shade, no direct light (indoors)

inshade_zps591dd0a4.jpg

In direct bright sunlight

inbrightsunlight_zps36055caf.jpg

Update: Built-in screen protector is easily removable! Shown process pics below as well as an "after" photo showing the clean edges of the lip with the case back on the phone.

prot2_zps9368a007.jpg

prot3_zpsca2f52b0.jpg

noprotector1_zpsa2201129.jpg
    Is it possible to remove the screen protector? I paid the price of otter box for this case to ship to my place, after reading the click thing you said in your review about the screen protector I got a bit disappointed.

Sent from my XT1033 using Tapatalk

Which is why I won't buy a case with a built in screen protector.

Good news! I was easily able to remove the screen protector after I decided to cut through it (beginning with the speaker cutout at top) into half near the bottom edge. With some gentle pulling it easily lifted off did not leave any messy glue residue that I could see, though I still cleaned the areas with Goo Gone. Please see the original review for updated photos!

(Note: Ah I see someone also had success ^^ Good to see!)
    I messages the guy on Amazon uk who claims to be the only uk distributor for Fosmon and he says not getting them.

OP do you feel you'd get away with dropping your moto now?

Just Ordered one for 6 Quid on amazon UK, Free delivery
    I messages the guy on Amazon uk who claims to be the only uk distributor for Fosmon and he says not getting them.

OP do you feel you'd get away with dropping your moto now?

In terms of actual protection it's the case I'm currently taking with me to the bar & bowling alley this weekend where beer flows freely and I've dropped my old phone numerous times before :p

I'd say it feels a lot more secure than the Moto Grip Shell because the TPU is thicker all around, and the thinnest parts are covered by the polycarbonate back. I actually tried dropping it ~2 feet onto berber carpet yesterday (no damage) just to see/hear the bounce of the tpu, but didn't have the courage to drop it from a higher distance.