[Q] proscan root

Search This thread

sallanm

Mar 10, 2014
Has anyone had a successful root on a plt7602g. I have tried a couple different methods.

maximumentropy

Rooting the PLT7602G

Has anyone had a successful root on a plt7602g. I have tried a couple different methods.

Here is a procedure to root the Curtis Proscan PLT7602G tablet (Build number PLT7602G-ANDROID4.2.2-v1.0.0).

1. Install adb on your computer and enable adb on the tablet. http://developer.android.com/tools/help/adb.html

2. Enable ADB on the tablet:
Settings > About Tablet > tap build number 7 times until it says "You are now a developer!"
Developer options > switch On > OK
Check "USB Debugging" > OK​

3. Connect USB and wait for ADB drivers to load on the PC. Using the Google drivers installed with ADB, your system may need manual help to find the right drivers: Go into Windows device manager > Update Driver Software > browse My Computer for driver software > 'Let me pick from a list of devices drivers...' > Pick Android ADB Interface from the model list.

4. You will see a notification "USB Debugging Connected" on the tablet.

5. If this is the first time, you will next see a dialog on the tablet asking "Allow USB debugging?" Check "Always allow from this computer" and click OK.

6. At the command prompt on the computer enter "adb devices". You should see the device listed. If not, reboot the PC and repeat steps 1 through 5 as necessary to get everything working together.
C:\Users\entropy>adb devices
List of devices attached
CD1LBROR50 device
C:\Users\entropy>
7. Download pwn.zip here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=53407127

8. Unzip "pwn" from the zip file to your windows current directory

9. At the command prompt on the computer enter the following sequence of commands:
C:\Users\entropy> adb push pwn /data/local/tmp/pwn
C:\Users\entropy> adb shell chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/pwn
C:\Users\entropy> adb shell /data/local/tmp/pwn
Beaups and jcase were here
donations may go here, pleaes say what it was for -> jcase@cunninglogic.com

10. After a few seconds, you should hear the USB disconnect sound, followed by the USB connection sound again.

11. At the command prompt, enter “adb devices” and ensure the device is listed as before. If not, wait a few seconds and then repeat this step.
C:\Users\entropy> adb devices​

12. At the command prompt, enter:
C:\Users\entropy> adb shell​

7. At the shell prompt, enter "su". You should now have a root prompt.
shell@android:/ $ su
shell@android:/ #​

8. Exit back out to the command prompt:
shell@android:/ # exit
shell@android:/ $ exit
C:\Users\entropy>​

9. On the tablet, go to the play store, download and install the latest SuperSU, or use the Google Play link in this thread: http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=1538053

10. Open the SuperSU that you just installed. SuperSU will prompt you to install a newer su binary when you run it, so click “Continue” do that, then “Normal”, then “OK”.

11. Reboot the tablet.

The tablet should now be fully rooted. Please let me know if you find any errors or if anything is unclear. I hope you find this useful!

Last edited:

maximumentropy

I've downloaded the "Unrevoked" USB driver but the device is not being installed...

It has been a while since I got this working and I honestly don't remember exactly what I did to make it work.

Try this... install the official Google driver and reboot:

http://developer.android.com/sdk/win-usb.html

If i still doesn't work, download the adb_usb.ini from here and replace the adb_usb.ini in c:\users\<yourusername>\.android\adb_usb.ini with this one, then reboot and try again. I verified that this adb_usb.ini contains the necessary device ID, so that should definitely do the trick.

https://github.com/apkudo/adbusbini

If you get it working, please post here so others can benefit.

Marco Dufal

Apr 15, 2015
Sice I had already installed the official Google drivers I proceeded with the adb_usb.ini method, but even after rebooting my pc it didn't work... What worked for me was:

Going into window device manager -> Update Driver Software -> browse my computer for driver software -> 'let me pick from a list of devices drivers...' -> Picked Android ADB Interface (from the model list).

I don't get why it did't install it automatically since the driver is actually compatible; did the same thing with another device (Sony experia E1). I got two of them, the first one got recognized while I had to do this process for the second one... Maybe it's my pc fault..
Anyway thank you very much for your replies and the guide. Am I risking to brick the device by following it ?

P.S.
For those who have android studio installed, to run the guide prompt commands you can set an environment variable called 'adb' with this value 'C:\Users\{USERNAME}\AppData\Local\Android\sdk\platform-tools\adb.exe' and easily replacing 'adb' with '%adb%' .
For example : 'C:\Users\{any directory}>%adb% devices'

Last edited:

maximumentropy

Sice I had already installed the official Google drivers I proceeded with the adb_usb.ini method, but even after rebooting my pc it didn't work... What worked for me was:

Going into window device manager -> Update Driver Software -> browse my computer for driver software -> 'let me pick from a list of devices drivers...' -> Picked Android ADB Interface (from the model list).

I don't get why it did't install it automatically since the driver is actually compatible; did the same thing with another device (Sony experia E1). I got two of them, the first one got recognized while I had to do this process for the second one... Maybe it's my pc fault..
Anyway thank you very much for your replies and the guide. Am I risking to brick the device by following it ?

P.S.
For those who have android studio installed, to run the guide prompt commands you can set an environment variable called 'adb' with this value 'C:\Users\{USERNAME}\AppData\Local\Android\sdk\platform-tools\adb.exe' and easily replacing 'adb' with '%adb%' .

I'm glad you got ADB working. Thanks for the additional tips, I'm sure they will be useful to others.

I don't think there is any significant risk of bricking unless you make a horrible mistake, like deleting everything in /system instead of shifting the new file into place. Anything else, like accidentally picking the wrong su binary to install, should be easily recoverable by just rebooting if necessary and then trying again.

Reactions: Marco Dufal

Marco Dufal

Apr 15, 2015
I'm glad you got ADB working. Thanks for the additional tips, I'm sure they will be useful to others.

I don't think there is any significant risk of bricking unless you make a horrible mistake, like deleting everything in /system instead of shifting the new file into place. Anything else, like accidentally picking the wrong su binary to install, should be easily recoverable by just rebooting if necessary and then trying again.

Quick info. I am rooting because of the low storage. Currently this is my storage situation :
total 4GB
Firmware 2.04GB
---------------------
Total space 1.96GB
197MB Available
232MB Apps
few KB Cached data & Misc.

There must be something wrong... Anyway my question is. Should I flash a custom rom to free some of the firmware allocated memory ? How is the external card going to be used (can I install app on it) ?

EDIT
I get
`su: not found`

Last edited:

maximumentropy

Quick info. I am rooting because of the low storage. Currently this is my storage situation :
total 4GB
Firmware 2.04GB
---------------------
Total space 1.96GB
197MB Available
232MB Apps
few KB Cached data & Misc.

There must be something wrong... Anyway my question is. Should I flash a custom rom to free some of the firmware allocated memory ? How is the external card going to be used (can I install app on it) ?

I haven't found any custom ROMs for this tablet. If you know of some, please speak up. You could try reflashing the original ROM but that might be overkill. You can use an app like DiskUsage to help you identify what's eating the most space.

EDIT
I get
`su: not found`

I can't help you if you give me an error message but no hint of what you entered that caused the message.

Marco Dufal

Apr 15, 2015
I haven't found any custom ROMs for this tablet. If you know of some, please speak up. You could try reflashing the original ROM but that might be overkill. You can use an app like DiskUsage to help you identify what's eating the most space.
Thanks I will check it up.

I can't help you if you give me an error message but no hint of what you entered that caused the message.

C:\Users\Marco\AppData\Local\Android\sdk\platform-tools>adb shell
shell@android:/ $ su
su
/system/bin/sh: su: not found
127|shell@android:/ $

maximumentropy

PLT7602G-ANDROID4.2.2-v1.0.0

Well, I apologize for being an idiot. That's what I get for trying to document a root procedure I did last year, from memory. I have several similar cheap tablets and I misremembered this one as being pre-rooted as I described.

I just re-flashed from stock and re-rooted it. Fortunately, I had left enough breadcrumbs on my computer that I was able to reconstruct the right procedure.

I will do another full run-through within the next few days as soon as I have some time, to make sure I have everything 100% straight, and will clean this up to update the OP. Meanwhile, if you're feeling brave, here's the notes I took as I did it:

Settings > About Tablet > tap build number until it says you are a developer
Developer options > switch On > OK
USB Debugging > OK
Connect USB
see "USB Debugging Connected" notification
Wait for "Allow USB debugging?" dialog, check "Always allow from this computer" and click OK
adb devices

Download pwn.zip here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=53407127
Unzip "pwn" from the zip file to your windows current directory

adb push pwn /data/local/tmp/pwn
adb shell chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/pwn
adb shell /data/local/tmp/pwn

Hear USB disconnect sound

Wait about 1 minute (may or may not need to disconnect and reconnect USB cable)

adb wait-for-device
adb shell
su (should give a root shell)
exit

Install SuperSU from Play Store
Run it
The SU binary needs to be updated. Continue?
Continue > Normal > OK

Reboot

maximumentropy

maximumentropy

Just did it and every thing worked ! It was fast and clear... Now I wonder, how many devices can I root with the same procedure ?

Great, I'm glad it worked for you!

The pwn exploit will work with many JellyBean devices. Many of the cheap Chinese tablets don't even need it though, as they will either give you a root prompt immediately when you connect using ADB, or after entering "su" to ADB. The trick then is just to use that access to install an "su" from SuperSU or another full SU package, so that you get full root from the user interface as well as from ADB. You could still use the pwn method on such a device, but I personally prefer to use the least invasive method to get the required access.

Reactions: Marco Dufal

Ian1331

Sep 11, 2012
www.iansblog.ca

The pwn exploit will work with many JellyBean devices. Many of the cheap Chinese tablets don't even need it though, as they will either give you a root prompt immediately when you connect using ADB, or after entering "su" to ADB. The trick then is just to use that access to install an "su" from SuperSU or another full SU package, so that you get full root from the user interface as well as from ADB. You could still use the pwn method on such a device, but I personally prefer to use the least invasive method to get the required access.

Sorry if this is a newb question but can this be done if your microusb port is broken? I can get the file on the tablet via sd card but I can't seem to perform the steps with Terminal Emulator like I had hoped. This is using the same ProScan PLT7602G as in the OP.

Thanks

maximumentropy

Sorry if this is a newb question but can this be done if your microusb port is broken? I can get the file on the tablet via sd card but I can't seem to perform the steps with Terminal Emulator like I had hoped. This is using the same ProScan PLT7602G as in the OP.

Thanks

I don't think it will work in a terminal emulator because you need to run with uid 2000 (shell) for permission on the /data/local/tmp directory.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

P.S.

Just did it and every thing worked ! It was fast and clear... Now I wonder, how many devices can I root with the same procedure ?