[Q] Loose USB connection: Can I fix it myself?

Search This thread

mooooooa

Oct 20, 2007
Hello. The other day, I discovered that my HD2 had a loose connection on the micro USB entrance. When the cable was plugged in, the connection was only made when the cable was pushed upside.

So I got it for repair, but yesterday the workshop called and said it was my own fault, so they will only fix it for a prize of 540$. As a prove for saying it's my own fault, they send me this picture: http://app1.appserver.dk:8080/RepairPictures/servlet/getPic?id=51371.

They says that the pins from usb entrance is detached from the chip(motherboard), and that could only happen if I'd misused my HD2.

I declined the price offer for the repair, and they will ship my HD2 back.

My question is; Can I fix it myself? Maybe solder the pins to the chip? Is that possible? And how can I disassemble the HD2? Which tools do I need?

Please help! :)

getPic

InfX

May 1, 2008
The picture isn't very clear, it's hard to say if it's possible and how easy/hard is it. It should be possible, though, but is probably going to be a tedious task. What you need to do is disassemble the phone to the point you can access the USB connector, just like they did on this pic. Take a look where are those detached traces supposed to connect to. Mind the possibility of it also going under the connector, take a look if there are any damaged via points etc. After you did this, you know what you have to restore, from this point on you should also know if you are up to the task.

mooooooa

Oct 20, 2007
The picture isn't very clear, it's hard to say if it's possible and how easy/hard is it. It should be possible, though, but is probably going to be a tedious task. What you need to do is disassemble the phone to the point you can access the USB connector, just like they did on this pic. Take a look where are those detached traces supposed to connect to. Mind the possibility of it also going under the connector, take a look if there are any damaged via points etc. After you did this, you know what you have to restore, from this point on you should also know if you are up to the task.

Let's put it up this way: If it was you, would you try fixing it yourself? :)

InfX

May 1, 2008
Yes. But i do have some hardware related experience :)

Note that the price of $540 is TOTALLY not worth it, you can probably get a new HD2 for this price.

Last edited:

InfX

May 1, 2008
Have you tried another/new cable ?
Sorry, but you can clearly see some broken traces on the pic. If that's really is how it looks like, trying a new cable, or doing anything that applies any mechanical force to that connector, can only do more damage.

wergor

May 17, 2008
Graz
i had a very similar problem with my htc universal back in the days, and had a console chipper repair it for me ;) but if you're experienced using a soldering iron, maybe you can fix it yourself.

InfX

May 1, 2008
a "console chipper" should have a lot of experience patching this kind of electronic stuff, indeed ;)

Fergus278

Dec 8, 2008
I have just had this happen to me with an O2UK HD2.
Anovo have charged me £280 for the repair, claiming it needs a new pcb.

This isn't missuse, this is poor quality. I have never had this happen before and i am inclined to believe its a fault with poorly secured micro usb connectors.

It looks like i'll have to dig out my soldering iron too, lets hope i don't overheat the pads!!

Throatchopper

Jun 22, 2010
I have an HD2 with a non working usb problem...I have yet to open it up to verify whether its a mechanical or software related issue...I'm betting looks like your pic on the inside

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using XDA App

casemandan

Oct 12, 2010
L.I. NY
I have an HD2 with a non working usb problem...I have yet to open it up to verify whether its a mechanical or software related issue...I'm betting looks like your pic on the inside

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using XDA App
yup same problem here but i have to have the usb cable hanging down from the connector to have it work
i agree ****ty assembly process... and i know i used to solder motherboards and power supplies for work

KevinNolan

Jan 18, 2009
Bergen op Zoom
I have the same problem with the usb connection. Can't connect it to the computer anymore. But my windows button also broke.................bad buildquality to bad.
And probobly no warranty cuase i have ozdroid 2.00 installed and can't flash it back anymore..............

lvrijn

Feb 22, 2010
Same problem here,

The connection is only made when the cable is pushed upside.
I thought maybe I just replace the mainboard, but that's not possible because these are not sold.. (Different IMEI etc..)

So I wan't to try to replace the micro USB connector.
The disassembly proces is not the problem, I have already replaced 3 LCM modules.. But I wan't to know how difficult it is to replace the connector.

They are sold on ebay for ~7 euros

Anybody already tried?

mikeyman2171

Jul 31, 2010
its doable

I am a former console chipper, so I know its possible, and pretty easy if the traces are not ripped off the board. just use a LOW wattage iron with a thin tip and thin solder so that it melts quick. also use flux. another thing that can help is to either use a strong double sided tape or epoxy to hold the usb connector in place BEFORE soldering the usb connector to the board to keep the problem from happening again.

woody21

May 26, 2008
I am a former console chipper, so I know its possible, and pretty easy if the traces are not ripped off the board. just use a LOW wattage iron with a thin tip and thin solder so that it melts quick. also use flux. another thing that can help is to either use a strong double sided tape or epoxy to hold the usb connector in place BEFORE soldering the usb connector to the board to keep the problem from happening again.

i was about to say the same thing, youre spot on there.
depending on the level of damage to solder pads and traces these should be quite repairable on most.
reinforcement with epoxy as suggested by mikeyman is an excellent idea.

anybody in the uk near the midlands with a bust usb port? id love to have a go at one of these as i have plenty of experience with console work, i do 0603 smd leds by hand with ease so sure i could do this.

nutmegy

Dec 2, 2009
Just broke mine... I have to lift the cable up for it to charge... Any one near watford who can fix?

Mogkupopppo

Jan 31, 2009
Hello. The other day, I discovered that my HD2 had a loose connection on the micro USB entrance. When the cable was plugged in, the connection was only made when the cable was pushed upside.

So I got it for repair, but yesterday the workshop called and said it was my own fault, so they will only fix it for a prize of 540$. As a prove for saying it's my own fault, they send me this picture: http://app1.appserver.dk:8080/RepairPictures/servlet/getPic?id=51371.

They says that the pins from usb entrance is detached from the chip(motherboard), and that could only happen if I'd misused my HD2.

I declined the price offer for the repair, and they will ship my HD2 back.

My question is; Can I fix it myself? Maybe solder the pins to the chip? Is that possible? And how can I disassemble the HD2? Which tools do I need?

Please help! :)

getPic

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=986268&page=2
well maybe I should have taken some picture when I was repairing mine. These comment may not help much. The one showed in the picture will be super hard to fix. First of all, the 3 pads are gone and leaving 2 with a little bit remain. To at least charge the phone you need to rewire the 1st and 5th pin in order to charge. and I think one of the pin is useless but the middle pins are for data. trace the pin and bridge them with copper wire or extreme small wires. the pins are always connected to the caps near the port so try to trace around there. and don't dig the pads its no use. you will only dig the ground or (-) out of it.

Last edited:

DarrenNewsgroup

Apr 9, 2011
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=986268&page=2
well maybe I should have taken some picture when I was repairing mine. These comment may not help much. The one showed in the picture will be super hard to fix. First of all, the 3 pads are gone and leaving 2 with a little bit remain. To at least charge the phone you need to rewire the 1st and 5th pin in order to charge. and I think one of the pin is useless but the middle pins are for data. trace the pin and bridge them with copper wire or extreme small wires. the pins are always connected to the caps near the port so try to trace around there. and don't dig the pads its no use. you will only dig the ground or (-) out of it.

My USB port is broken. The connector flexes and I can see that the part of the PCB that was soldered to the USB pins has stayed with the USB and broken away from the main PCB.

I can easily solder "flying leads" for pin 1 (+5V - seems to be a large "test pin" directly below) and pin 5 (GND - will solder to USB shell leg). This should restore charging via USB.

I am just unsure about where the data pins 2 and 3 should be soldered to. Do you know where you soldered them?

Thanks
Darren .)

Jeevesta

Sep 25, 2012
broken usb port htc hd2

Just broke mine... I have to lift the cable up for it to charge... Any one near watford who can fix?

HI,
I have a broken micro usb port on my htc hd2 and wondered if you managed to get yours fixed.I know yours was damaged some time ago but I also live near Watford so wondered if there is a reasonable place that could fix it for me.

Thankyou,
Jeevesta

trippster

Sep 6, 2008
Mine just broke, as well. All of a sudden, I now have to tilt the cable up to get it to charge, and tethering does NOT work at all anymore. Anyone in the US have this problem? If so, did you get it repaired, and if so, how did you do it? I have no idea about the soldering and other stuff the earlier posts mentioned, and T-Mobile told me I just need to get another phone. Please help!

Sent from my NexusHD2 using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Mine just broke, as well. All of a sudden, I now have to tilt the cable up to get it to charge, and tethering does NOT work at all anymore. Anyone in the US have this problem? If so, did you get it repaired, and if so, how did you do it? I have no idea about the soldering and other stuff the earlier posts mentioned, and T-Mobile told me I just need to get another phone. Please help!

Sent from my NexusHD2 using xda premium
    My solution - safer than disassembly/soldering - HD2 can run Android 100% from SD card (via NativeSD, so no need ever for USB connection) + external charger/spare battery or (currently almost as cheap and working well) powermat wireless charging kit...