Do you guys think it's worth buying the HTC One?

Search This thread

Riyal

Dec 16, 2011
Iloilo City
The only thing I've read about it is that HTC got an new production process which makes the aluminium even harder than that used in the iphone 5.

Sent from my HTC One S using xda app-developers app

Hmmm as far as I know anodizing doesn't need a new process whatsoever. If done correctly it should be very2 hard. Did you know that satellites used in space are being anodized to withstand impact against any space debris?

What I am worried of is the way they are putting in on phones.

Vauix

Mar 30, 2011
Hmmm as far as I know anodizing doesn't need a new process whatsoever. If done correctly it should be very2 hard. Did you know that satellites used in space are being anodized to withstand impact against any space debris?

I can't look it up now, but what I understand is that they use a new grade of aluminium composite. I think Engadget mentioned it.

Sent from my HTC One S using xda app-developers app

nebsif

Feb 22, 2012

Yeah yeah fancy materials like iPhone 5 and HTC One S that sound uber good in theory, but practically they start to peel and get scratched the same week you buy the phone.

Build quality != fancy materials.

People said One X has superior build quality coz it used polycarbonate, yet there were phones with badly glued displays, light leaks and yellow spots, thats bad build quality right there.

Imo, dont buy HTC One, wait to see what GS4 has to offer or buy Xperia Z, that one is water resistant and IIRC has a mSD slot.
For my taste, HTC One is more of a 2012 phone with a huge resolution display, its thick (9.3mm), sealed and has too much bezel for a 2013 flagship. Rest is all gimmicks, just like the image chip and beats (praise Tegra DAC) in One X which were inferior to.. nothing fancy-branded in GS3.

I was dying for a new phone last year when One X was announced, yet I waited for GS3 and didnt regret it, and thats coming from HTC Desire and having Legend and Sensation in le family. If I want I can convert it anytime to MAXXX, and a day one root is eazy mode, no locked bootloaders / warranty bull**** etc.

touchdiamond84

Oct 4, 2010
I've got a One X+, and that phone has been nothing but awesome. But after seeing this HTC One, it's a whole new ball game. I wanna get it:cowboy:. I'm not sure about the Blink Feed feature, but i really like HTC Zoe, Boomsound (laughable name) and not to mention Sense TV. Oh and also not to mention i saw it do a 12500 or there abouts benchmark test, where as my One X+ does 7200~.

strip419

Jul 18, 2012
THIS PLANET
Who told you sgs4 will have sd slot and removable battery? If you dont mind their crappy plastic and design so wait

Sent from my HTC One X using xda app-developers app

Who told u THEY will stick to plastic(they still make good phones with plastic...sum drop test show us) if Sammy uses plastic be sure they will add sumtin that's makes u forget its plastic....Sammy sure knows how to sell

Sent from my Desire Z using xda premium

kalo88

Nov 21, 2012
The S, S2, S3 were all plastic so chances are the S4 will be the same.

The great thing about tech is everyone has the choice of what device they want, no one should flame you for buying one over the other, buy what suits your needs and what you enjoy since your the one holding it/using it.

I personally like the HTC One and chose to buy it based on the features/design and look of it. I would never be like 'OMG WHY DID YOU BUY A HTC ONE, THE SGS4 WILL ABSOLUTELY SMASH IT' etc...

Yes companies use gimmicks like 'Ultra Pixel' and various other buzzwords but EVERY company does it.... It's called marketing. In HTC's case they can't really just say 'Megapixel' because the size of the pixel is much larger so ofc they had to come up with a new word :)

Last edited:

NiCk.JaY

Nov 23, 2012
I'm pretty sure I'm gonna buy the One. Samsung isn't for me. I hate plastic phones, when will Samsung learn? Thumbs up for One

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using xda premium

---------- Post added at 08:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:30 PM ----------

The S, S2, S3 were all plastic so chances are the S4 will be the same.

The great thing about tech is everyone has the choice of what device they want, no one should flame you for buying one over the other, buy what suits your needs and what you enjoy since your the one holding it/using it.

I personally like the HTC One and chose to buy it based on the features/design and look of it. I would never be like 'OMG WHY DID YOU BUY A HTC ONE, THE SGS4 WILL ABSOLUTELY SMASH IT' etc...

Yes companies use gimmicks like 'Ultra Pixel' and various other buzzwords but EVERY company does it.... It's called marketing. In HTC's case they can't really just say 'Megapixel' because the size of the pixel is much larger so ofc they had to come up with a new word :)

And the average customer will be dissappointed seeing a device with just 4 'megapixel' camera. So ultrapixel is an acceptable name IMHO

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using xda premium

Goku80

Mar 18, 2012
Within the Matrix
and so it begins...like deja vu from last year...One X vs S3...nothing ever changes:D

but to throw my opinion...I will wait...wait till the S4 comes out and then i will judge which one is really worth having around..the One will be a lot more easier to get s-off due to the fact it is not T4...all Quallcomms are easy to crack so this one should not be a problem..just look at the recent findings regarding the latest phones receiving the exploit.

S4 being plastic who knows..No one knows what the phone looks like and what it will have on board...i am seriously thinking about going back to sammy just for the fact the bootloader might be unlocked and easier to develop for it.....but again same for the One again if its unlocked to with soff..arrggh hard choice...but best wait for reviews and more important user reviews who buy it on release day..dont go through the mistakes i did last year were i had to send back like 3 units till i got the perfect one...

yes plastic is cheap but look at the One x..that is plastic to...gorgeous plastic though... but plastic is harder to break though when you drop it

rather be safe than sorry

-viperboy-

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 24, 2007
PA
Yes, I think it's worth it. I'll be picking one up (Sprint variant) and I know quite a few other members of our team will be doing the same. So you know what that means :D we can't let you guys run around with just a "popular" build.prop tweaked kitchen ROM ;)

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

TheRealGreenVirus

Oct 20, 2010
If you look at the One X +, the only feature present on that device over the One X is 64gb of ram.

It's not just the memory, it has also red buttons and the camera has a red ring. And the whole surface feels "rough".

Lets say that they Make a One + - what could they do? Bump it to a Snapdragon 800? Sure that would be impressive, however the jump from 600 to 800 is about a 35% boost, whereas from S4pro to 600 its a 40% bump.

The thing is I almost never buy a new phone, but when I buy a new one I want it to be the best one. I think it would be a shame to buy the HTC One now when they will release a new one a few months later that has not only a better cpu but also a better design.

I currently use the HTC HD2 with an Android ROM flashed on it and basically every phone is better than mine. The reason I didn't bought a new phone yet was that I liked the design of my HD2 and that I don't really need a faster cpu. Well yes everything is faster and I can play better games on the new phones but I a) don't play games on my phone and b) don't really need a faster phone, I can wait a little bit.

I now that there will always be new and better phones and I am okay with that as long as they are released like 5 or 6 months after I bought mine. I just would be sad if they release a better looking and faster phone like 2 months after I bought mine.

Edit: lol, I didn't realize that this thread had 4 pages.

I read the other pages too and I think I will wait till November like that one guy said.

By the way, could you guys please explain me why HTC makes their new phones without SD card slots and without removable cover in the back? What do you do when that phone freezes?

Last edited:

leo91919

Jan 17, 2012
Freeze is no problem

Freeze is no problem
i have HTC Flyer and if it freeze i can push the on/off button for a while. It isn´t necessary taht you can remove the battery

numbskull100

Dec 19, 2009
Xiaomi Mi 11
It's not just the memory, it has also red buttons and the camera has a red ring. And the whole surface feels "rough".

The thing is I almost never buy a new phone, but when I buy a new one I want it to be the best one. I think it would be a shame to buy the HTC One now when they will release a new one a few months later that has not only a better cpu but also a better design.

I currently use the HTC HD2 with an Android ROM flashed on it and basically every phone is better than mine. The reason I didn't bought a new phone yet was that I liked the design of my HD2 and that I don't really need a faster cpu. Well yes everything is faster and I can play better games on the new phones but I a) don't play games on my phone and b) don't really need a faster phone, I can wait a little bit.

I now that there will always be new and better phones and I am okay with that as long as they are released like 5 or 6 months after I bought mine. I just would be sad if they release a better looking and faster phone like 2 months after I bought mine.

Edit: lol, I didn't realize that this thread had 4 pages.

I read the other pages too and I think I will wait till November like that one guy said.

By the way, could you guys please explain me why HTC makes their new phones without SD card slots and without removable cover in the back? What do you do when that phone freezes?
I to have a HD2 and am undecided about the One. Been promising myself a new phone for over a year now, not sure if this is to be the replacement or not. HD2 is now getting dated and a it slow at times, but basically functions really well for 3+ years old!

kalo88

Nov 21, 2012
A quick google brought this up

http://www.mobiletoday.co.uk/News/24232/HTC_says_there_can_be_only_One_flagship_smartphone.aspx

HTC says there can be only One flagship smartphone

HTC has launched its flagship phone for 2013, with the One hoping to turn around the company's fortunes by blowing apart the 'megapixel myth'.

The device will go on sale in the UK from 15 March and is the latest move by HTC to halt declining market share and profits. It was overtaken by Sony last year as the UK's second biggest smartphone manufacturer.The device features a redesigned version of its Sense UI, with a Blinkfeed homescreen that provides a user with a mix of social media updates, tailored news and upcoming events. It has redesigned its camera, with the HTC Zoe recording footage before and after the shutter button is pressed, giving the consumer access to a range of still pictures and videos. In a gamble that flies in the face of manufacturers boasting of cameras with a huge number of megapixels, HTC has a 4MP camera. However, it said its UltraPixel sensor captures 300% more light than any other smartphone camera and is optimised for low-light. The handset also features front facing Beats Audio enabled speakers.

Peter Chou, CEO of HTC, said: 'People today immerse themselves in a constant stream of updates, news and information. Although smartphones are one of the main ways we stay in touch with the people and information we care about, conventional designs have failed to keep pace with how people are actually using them. A new exciting approach to the smartphone is needed and with the new HTC One, we have reimagined the mobile experience from the ground up to reflect this new reality.'

Phones 4u will have the handset in 10 stores from Friday for customers to try before ordering. It also transformed its Oxford Street, London branch to host an HTC experience zone. It said the device will be available on contracts from £36 per month. EE will sell the 4G version of the smartphone for £69.99 upfront, on a £41 per month contract. Orange and T-Mobile customers can get the phone for the same upfront payment, but on a £36 per month contract. Three and Vodafone also said they would stock the device.

Not sure if it 100% matches what the other person said.

Last edited:

Maedhros

Sep 24, 2008
Toronto

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Who told you sgs4 will have sd slot and removable battery? If you dont mind their crappy plastic and design so wait

Sent from my HTC One X using xda app-developers app
    there is no end to whats coming 'next'
    Couldn't have been more underwhelmed or disappointed with the One announcement. How far in denial is HTC? Did they realize they left Egypt, and entered Sudan? They just don't get it. How many tough quarters will it take for them to get their head back in the game?

Blinkfeed would make using a third party launcher a must.

Zoe is just silly, did they forget you can already shoot video?

1080p vs 720p still hasn't sold me to any actual discernable difference at a sub 5" size. But those extra pixels will take more battery to run.

Sense 5 looks nice, and it looks really responsive on the demos, but so did Sense 4...

As long as we are talking software, the One has very little chance getting decent support. Blame AT&T all you want, but they aren't the ones that promised updates. And Samsung manages to update their devices on AT&T just fine.

Why go down to 2 buttons? Android still needs a menu button, that bar popping up all the time is super annoying. If you want to get rid of the multi task or menu key, just go all the way and go on-screen with the keys.

Still skeptical about a metal frame. We all know about antennagate, and the iPhone wasn't fully metal on the back. It may turn out okay, time will tell.

Honestly, yes, the One looks darn sexy. Great looking hardware. But if they are built to the low quality standards the One X was, they won't last long. Say what you want about Samsungs cheap plastic, but they last a lot longer, and take far more abuse than HTC hardware. At the end of the day I care more about my phone lasting, than having to get a replacement every month for a different hardware issue. Even if that hardware looks nicer. Function over form every time. (That's what I like TouchWiz better than any skin, including CM/AOKP)

Then the whole aspect of the locked bootloaders, S-Off, potential for warranty denial, and other extra hoops to get custom firmware to try to mitigate some of the terrible performance it's destined to have, bothers me. Versus it being so easy on a Samsung device a cave man could do it. The One X was going to have such an amazing dev scene, but I blinked so I missed it.

My time with the One X vs my past with Samsung devices could be summed up with this analogy: HTC is a blind date, you never know what your are going to get, this time she is pretty, but every minute you spend with her she gets more obnoxious. Samsung is the girl next door, often passed over for the "prettier" girl, but the more you get to know her the more beautiful she is. If somehow my Note II is pryed from my cold dead hands it won't be for the One.

Sent from my Note ][
    Yes, I think it's worth it. I'll be picking one up (Sprint variant) and I know quite a few other members of our team will be doing the same. So you know what that means :D we can't let you guys run around with just a "popular" build.prop tweaked kitchen ROM ;)

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
    i really hate these LCD displays its such an inferior technology to oled. The only thing they are good for is black text on white backgrounds. Android is all black so its a total loss. Colours just arent that good on these displays. Brightness is a total waste of time given that your battery goes from full to empty on any kind of decent brightness. With no removable battery this is a big issue. Im also not sure 1080p is worth it any more. 720p seems to be perfect balance.

Im seriously thinking about a note 2 now with the RGB Amoled display in LTE. Samsung is letting me down by loving to LCD on the S4. i really dont want LCD they are so boring.

My friend the note 2 is a beast. People who brag about their display, aka dna z10 etc... have just that to brag about... their spec sheet displays lol. They look at spec sheets and say "Oh well the note 2 has 720 display so it must look ugly"...complete morons. With its non pentile display the note 2s screen is ridiculously nice.

That is where the comparison ends. In terms of battery life, features, connectivity, durability and spen functionality, no phone on the market is even in the same ball park as the note 2. Just look at the review sites around the web. Honestly I laugh at people who try to compare their phones to the Note 2. This is how our conversations usually go. ...

Random person " look at my (insert any phone) phone! Best phone on the market "

Me "ya what makes it so special?"

Random person" looking how beautiful the screen is! "

Me " ok what else can it do that my note can't"

Random person " um well..."

Me "can it do multi Window? "

Random " um no but. .."

Me " can it have 5-6 applications open at the same time. ..on the same screen"

Random "well..."

Me "do you have an spen for photo editing?"

Random " no. ..But um..."

Me "does your battery last 2 days with at least 8 hours of pure on screen time and all wireless connections enabled? "

Random " probably not. .."

Me "Do you have a floating keyboard, browser, pop up video or even pop up s note? "

Random person "... no"

Me "....so again... What makes your phone so special? "

Random " ....."

Me "matter of fact. .. ( I turn to other random person and turn the brightness up on the screen) sir which screen looks better?"

Other random "I guess this one (points to random persons phone), but it's not a big difference really.."

Me "exactly... so you have a phone that has a slightly better screen resolution... But can't compare on any other features....I think I'll be sticking to my note 2..."

Random person " ..." walks away jealous...