[Q] how to enable system write

Search This thread

power950

May 7, 2011
Springfield
I installed several kernels with system write protection disabled but every time i try to edit an xml file i cant save it i cant copy files to system its just not enabled i try to enable it through es file explorer but it says everythings already r/w i tried fixing permissions in twrp i have a kernel installed with write protection disabled but still no luck any help would be greatly appreciated thank you

nicholi2789

Mar 19, 2013
Newport
I installed several kernels with system write protection disabled but every time i try to edit an xml file i cant save it i cant copy files to system its just not enabled i try to enable it through es file explorer but it says everythings already r/w i tried fixing permissions in twrp i have a kernel installed with write protection disabled but still no luck any help would be greatly appreciated thank you
Need more information.. What base are you on? 1.55.605.2? Which kernel did you flash? What mod exactly are you trying to do?

power950

May 7, 2011
Springfield
Need more information.. What base are you on? 1.55.605.2? Which kernel did you flash? What mod exactly are you trying to do?

clean rom 1.1 http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2732877

checkm8 team code craft says it disables write protection http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2716686

as for the base how do i check i was on the latest update when i s offed and rooted and flashed everything around may 5th i think it was the latest base but how do i check i can let you know? im just trying to edit my default.xml in system/customize/ACC/ and i cant i just wanna write to system copy files to the root of the system etc

nicholi2789

Mar 19, 2013
Newport
clean rom 1.1 http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2732877

checkm8 team code craft says it disables write protection http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2716686

as for the base how do i check i was on the latest update when i s offed and rooted and flashed everything around may 5th i think it was the latest base but how do i check i can let you know? im just trying to edit my default.xml in system/customize/ACC/ and i cant i just wanna write to system copy files to the root of the system etc

Yes you can check by going into settings>aabout phone>software information>software number. If your on Cleanrom v1.1 it will be 1.55.605.2 which is the latest base. What mod are you trying to do by editing your default . XML? There are a lot of things you can tweak in there.
Also, Cleanrom v1.1 has system r/w enabled by default. So you didn't need to flash that kernel to have it.
"Pre Rooted with SuperSU and Busybox pre-installed
Writeable /system partition
Unsecured kernel with ADB remount capabilities"
My advice would be to re-flash the rom, or restore a nandroid backup to get the roms stock kernel back. You could just dirty flash the rom and only wipe cache and davlik. You should be fine.
But once again, what mod are you trying to do in your default.xml? It may be I can help you sort it out, or at least tell you why it's not working.

Last edited:

power950

May 7, 2011
Springfield
Yes you can check by going into settings>aabout phone>software information>software number. If your on Cleanrom v1.1 it will be 1.55.605.2 which is the latest base. What mod are you trying to do by editing your default . XML? There are a lot of things you can tweak in there.
Also, Cleanrom v1.1 has system r/w enabled by default. So you didn't need to flash that kernel to have it.
"Pre Rooted with SuperSU and Busybox pre-installed
Writeable /system partition
Unsecured kernel with ADB remount capabilities"
My advice would be to re-flash the rom, or restore a nandroid backup to get the roms stock kernel back. You could just dirty flash the rom and only wipe cache and davlik. You should be fine.
But once again, what mod are you trying to do in your default.xml? It may be I can help you sort it out, or at least tell you why it's not working.

i would just like to write to system for future purposes for the mean time i used adb to pull the default xml then i modified the file on my pc to enable harman kardon and music channel then went to recovery mounted system and pushed it back its just a pain seeing i can't write to system when i want to yes it says 1.55.605.2 so i should be able to write to system and you suggest a fresh install? or should i just pull the kernel image out of the rom zip and flash through fastboot?

shortstuff_mt

Apr 24, 2010
CleanROM has this capability without any 3rd party kernels or other modifications. I use ES File Explorer on a clean install of CleanROM 1.1 to write to the /system partition. You do need to enable R/W permission in the ES File Explorer app by clicking the upper left icon, going to Tools, enabling the toggle for Root Explorer, clicking on the words Root Explorer, clicking on Mount R/W, and enabling RW permission on whatever directory you want to.

power950

May 7, 2011
Springfield
CleanROM has this capability without any 3rd party kernels or other modifications. I use ES File Explorer on a clean install of CleanROM 1.1 to write to the /system partition. You do need to enable R/W permission in the ES File Explorer app by clicking the upper left icon, going to Tools, enabling the toggle for Root Explorer, clicking on the words Root Explorer, clicking on Mount R/W, and enabling RW permission on whatever directory you want to.

was trying to avoid i clean install but i'll give it a go i did enable r/w with es file explorer and made sure all the bubbles were checked with still no luck ill do a fresh install without flashing any other files but clean rom and see what happens i'll let you guys know after i do it thanks

power950

May 7, 2011
Springfield
okay so I did a fresh install i factory reset x3 wiped data i know this wasn't necessary but i typed yes and wiped data x3 i went into advanced wipe and and checked every box except usb otg after backing up sd cards and then swiped to format x3 i then powered off the phone ejected my sd card put clean rom 1.1 on it and flashed it with no other files rebooted my phone went through the setup installed es file explorer enebled root access clicked on root access clicked on mount r/w and made sure everything was bubbled in on the right side mount r/w and i still cannot right to system :( im ready to give up

dottat

Retired Forum Moderator
okay so I did a fresh install i factory reset x3 wiped data i know this wasn't necessary but i typed yes and wiped data x3 i went into advanced wipe and and checked every box except usb otg after backing up sd cards and then swiped to format x3 i then powered off the phone ejected my sd card put clean rom 1.1 on it and flashed it with no other files rebooted my phone went through the setup installed es file explorer enebled root access clicked on root access clicked on mount r/w and made sure everything was bubbled in on the right side mount r/w and i still cannot right to system :( im ready to give up

Why not make a copy of the files you want to edit... fix them up how you like.. then copy them back into place using file explorer function of TWRP (make sure you mount system).... OR put them in a flashable zip template and flash them. The changes will stick. You are likely trying to change files in use.

Reactions: power950

power950

May 7, 2011
Springfield
doh

Why not make a copy of the files you want to edit... fix them up how you like.. then copy them back into place using file explorer function of TWRP (make sure you mount system).... OR put them in a flashable zip template and flash them. The changes will stick. You are likely trying to change files in use.

oh lol your'e right i just copied a file over from my sd to the system to test it wow I should of known that thanks so much this issue is solved I'm disappointed in myself gotta give myself 10 minutes time out now thanks tho

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.