Fixed screen on v1.09 vegas?

Search This thread

O_G

Retired Senior Moderator / Retired ET Admin
Jul 8, 2007
Hi all.

I changed my vega a week ago after the screen became unresponsive to multi touch on the right side. (Which pc world changed no problems, more than three months after purchase) I find that the screen responsiveness a LOT better.

I get no more sticky keys on the keyboard, which was the main problem with the vega. Multi touch seems a lot smoother now to, making google maps a lot better to use. Also there are no accidental presses while scrolling. Maybe they have changed the screen? Cant be software as i am running exactly the same as before.

The new one i got had flash pre-installed (v1.09 firmware), comes up at pc world as a different product as the one without flash pre-installed. So if you have to change yours, try to get one that has flash already on the device. (it will say on the label on the box)

Has anybody else had a similar experience after changing there vega?

Last edited:

Piranf

Sep 7, 2010
Yes, had exactly the same here (mine was registering a single touch as a dual touch) replacement seems better than the first one ever was - in fact quality of the screen seems better in all respects - not sure whether this is just coloured by the relief of having the tablet back and working properly ...

dagbro

Dec 8, 2008
Skåne
I've never had any touch issues with my 2 weeks old POV Mobii.. well on AC power there are some issues, mainly when moving homescreen icons because sometimes it thinks i dropped them when i really didn't.

It's definitely not unusable on AC though, much much better than what some of you seem to be experiencing.

IndyUK

Jul 23, 2008
I went to PC World last week to get my Vega swapped (screen problems) and they said it is not a Code 5 and will have to go for fixing. Personally I think they should swap it straight over considering the amount of Vegas with the same problem. I tested the one that was on display and you're right, it is slightly different and the screen looks better, and certainly didn't have this screen problem. I'm going back to the store again tomorrow to see if I can convince them to swap it. I don't want to have it fixed because in my opinion it's a manufacturing problem/issue.

Just out of curiosity, how have people here persuaded staff at the outlets to do a straight swap? This is my first dealings with PC World and it's not looking good.

O_G

Jul 8, 2007
I went to PC World last week to get my Vega swapped (screen problems) and they said it is not a Code 5 and will have to go for fixing. Personally I think they should swap it straight over considering the amount of Vegas with the same problem. I tested the one that was on display and you're right, it is slightly different and the screen looks better, and certainly didn't have this screen problem. I'm going back to the store again tomorrow to see if I can convince them to swap it. I don't want to have it fixed because in my opinion it's a manufacturing problem/issue.

Just out of curiosity, how have people here persuaded staff at the outlets to do a straight swap? This is my first dealings with PC World and it's not looking good.

I purchased mine online and returned it in-store. You are right they say its code 5, but there is a number they are supposed to phone to check if they can change it. Sounds like they are giving you the run around. Tell them they do not repair them they do straight swaps. So if you returned it by mail, all they would do is send you out a new one anyway. I used multi touch visualizer to demonstrate the product was faulty, and they were very helpful at the Gloucester store. Might also be worth checking online, to see if they have them in stock.

Also forgot to mention, since changing my vega. I can use the device with now with no screen problems with the device plugged into the ac. I would recommend anyone who has any of the screen problems to return there vegas for a replacement. You will not regret it:)

IndyUK

Jul 23, 2008
Good news! I managed to swap my faulty one for a good one. I went into the store this morning and explained the situation and this time I managed to convince them that they just need to swap it. They obviously checked with their support people who told them exactly what I kept telling them myself. Anyway, I'm just over the moon that I've finally got one where the screen taps don't stick. No I can begin to enjoy the device.

I have also noticed that the screen seems better on this replacement. Maybe Advent ironed out some screen issues, although its a shame they didn't do anything about the viewing angle. No worries as I'm still happy with it. Right....got to find myself a nice stand so I can use this as my music player.

Budius

May 1, 2010
Hi guys,
Great news u give me... I'm definitely getting my replaced.
Any thoughts on what are the key phrases u must tell them to get it replaced??
As English is not my first language any tips on dealing with it will be much appreciated.

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA App

IndyUK

Jul 23, 2008
Hi Budius

If you're returning it within the 28 days then they shouldn't query anything with you (that's your consumer right). If however like me you're over this period then get them to check with their support people, who will hopefully advise them that this is a straight replacement item. I even mentioned that I'd looked around on internet forums and there were many in the same position (implying that this is a manufacturing defect, is the device's only means operating and therefore should be replaced at no cost to the consumer) and all had their device replaced. Good luck and do let us know how you get on.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

Budius

May 1, 2010
Thanks mate,
I'm just finishing some backups and flashing the original rom and will be on my way in a bit.
I checked and I'm within 28days, so should be straight forward.
I'll let u guys know when I'm back.

Budius

May 1, 2010
Hi guys
Yeah I changed it yesterday and as expected, as I was within 28 days, it was prettty hassle free.
I just showed the corners not showing properly and the keyboard repeating like crazy.
The new one I could notice the plastic material on the back a bit different, and for sure it is a different screen,somehow nicer.
I couldn't figure out why adb doesn't want to work in my girls crap old PC, so no clockwork recovery, but testing just the keyboard, there's definitely an improvement.
Cheers

dagbro

Dec 8, 2008
Skåne
Budius; you can flash CWM without a computer if you get a root-capable file manager and terminal app.

move the files(instead of pushing them) to /data/local/ Then you just remove "adb shell" from the two shell commands and type them into the terminal. Done!

why? - adb shell just runs your commands through the android terminal, so "adb shell XYZ" on your computer is exactly the same as running only "XYZ" in the terminal

Nutsonfire

Jun 13, 2010
Nyon
I just got a POV tablet (Vega clone) and multi-touch works fine. The viewing angles arent so great which i guess is normal ^^

The tablet did not have flash so its not so recent, but probably not so old either.

Sent from my MoDaCo Custom ROM for the Advent Vega r8 using Tapatalk

gadgetuk99

Oct 29, 2007
I have changed my Vega today but still have the same probs with the keyboard.. will put up with it as not taking it back again.

Sent from my Vega using Tapatalk

O_G

Jul 8, 2007
I have changed my Vega today but still have the same probs with the keyboard.. will put up with it as not taking it back again.

Sent from my Vega using Tapatalk

When you changed it, did it have flash on it? (v1.09)

As i said in the first post it appears the ones with flash are fixed.

dkampo

Dec 28, 2009
Hi
I ordered my vega from ebay and i am waiting for it. The seller said that he bought on 22 February. Is the "fixed" version or the old one? How can i find out which version is?

Cheers

O_G

Jul 8, 2007
Hi
I ordered my vega from ebay and i am waiting for it. The seller said that he bought on 22 February. Is the "fixed" version or the old one? How can i find out which version is?

Cheers

Hi There.

Others have said the plastic on the back is different but i have had mine in a case. So i cant remember what the old one was like. The biggest difference i have seen is with the keyboard. If you get sticky keys you have the old model. As the device was purchased after the v1.09 firmware, there is a good chance you have the newer model. If the device is in the original box it will have a label, if that says it has flash pre installed, the chances are you have the newer model.

Good luck:)

Top Liked Posts