***Easiest Method for Keeping Root Thru the ZV8 Update***

Search This thread

Blammo79

Jun 18, 2011
Hey MT, can you add something to the original post about where to wipe data in this method...I imagine it is before flashing the zip, but I forgot to do it because I am a noob..

mtmichaelson

Apr 5, 2009
Mt. Juliet, TN
Hey MT, can you add something to the original post about where to wipe data in this method...I imagine it is before flashing the zip, but I forgot to do it because I am a noob..

Wipe after flashing cwm and doing a back up. Honestly you could just wipe if you flash Broken Out otherwise it shouldn't matter.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk

Blammo79

Jun 18, 2011
Wipe after flashing cwm and doing a back up. Honestly you could just wipe if you flash Broken Out otherwise it shouldn't matter.

Ok, I just ran into an issues (since I had Software Update Frozen still). So i had to unfreeze it before I could download the update. If I had wiped data before flashing this new method, I might have avoided that step...

Big Cam

Apr 6, 2011
West Fargo
I get an occasional moment of genius, and when it actually works it makes me happy lol. I remembered a vulnerable area that I could run some scripts on boot with the stock OS, checked to see if it would be changed with the update, and it was not affected, so I put the puzzle pieces together (local.prop to be able to mount /system and the exploitable file to reset proper permissions for su at initial boot), made a single flashable zip that does everything (flashes stock recovery.img, boot.img, modified stock zv7 rom, and the local.prop) Easy as pie lol!

You're like a coding ninja.

I thank youagain for helping me through my pre-easy method upgrade.

I get an occasional moment of genius, and when it actually works it makes me happy lol. I remembered a vulnerable area that I could run some scripts on boot with the stock OS, checked to see if it would be changed with the update, and it was not affected, so I put the puzzle pieces together (local.prop to be able to mount /system and the exploitable file to reset proper permissions for su at initial boot), made a single flashable zip that does everything (flashes stock recovery.img, boot.img, modified stock zv7 rom, and the local.prop) Easy as pie lol!

The only thing easier would be if you came and ran it for us...lol! :D

Bait-Fish

Aug 10, 2011
Southern California
LOL.

Well, looks like it's time for me to come out of the shadows and update too.

Thanks a million mtm and everyone else who's shared in the recent update heartache. I have been playing it very conservatively, waiting for the bugs to be worked out and procedure polished. I hate that sinking feeling when you think you broke your phone.

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk

eghill1125

Jul 15, 2010
What am I missing here to get the CWM onto my phone.
I have it on internet connection. Pushed option 1. Goes to Daemon started Successfully and just sits?? Does it take a while to do something or am I missing something along the line?

Nevermind... went through after starting and stopping it a few times..

Last edited:

dadecamp

Nov 19, 2011
casa grande
I just want to say thanx, Mt. I have tried for several days to get this update and root. Your zip and batch worked great. Again, thank you.

Sent from my VS910 4G using xda premium

ozymandiaz

Jun 22, 2011
Can it truly be this easy?:)

*edit

Apparently not. fails at mounting device. remount failed...

*2nd edit

Got a nights sleep, ran it again, same error, but this time reboot into recovery worked. Don't know what I did differently last night, but everythings cool now!

Thanks, MT!

Last edited:

Bait-Fish

Aug 10, 2011
Southern California
Thanks again for the awesome work, mtm! My Revo has Broken Out with absolutely no trouble.

I made sure to unfreeze Software Update 1.0, flashed your zip, set USB to Internet Connection, ensured Debug set, and allowed unknown sources for good luck. The OTA went without a hitch and the batch file to restore CWM was flawless.

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk

iamjerry123

Oct 2, 2011
so if i were to have gingervolt 2.0, and i did this. i would lose gingervolt and the blitzkrieg right?

n00bzilla

Mar 19, 2012
So easy, a n00b can do it! Rooted and running Broken Out Revo 1.1! Thanks a bunch MT! Love having the screen cap option available!

NOTE: Do NOT run any roms catered to ZV7. I found out the hard way trying to put Ginger Fusion on ZV8. (Force closes EVERYTHING). Easy fix though: Get back to CWM, wipe cache and dalvik, re-flash Broken Out, reboot and you're set.

twillet50

Aug 6, 2011
Works like a charm. Very easy. Thanks MT.

Sent from my VS910 4G using xda premium

RootedUser

Aug 17, 2011
Toledo
Hey mt. Every time I go to run the program it fails for the recovery any suggestions? I have all drivers installed.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Please Read Full Post Before Posting Any Questions!!! If You Ask A Question That Is Answered In This Post, It Will Not Get Answered!!!

Alrighty Boys and Girls!!! I have tried to make this as easy as possible for what we have!!! First and foremost, this will NOT root if you are already on ZV8!!!

Prerequisites
    Pretty easy, you need ANY form of ZV7 (By any that includes stock, GingerVolt, Blitzkrieg, self modified, whatever) and CWM. Also, if you have frozen the software update app, make sure you unfreeze before anything!!!

1) Download this file: http://d-h.st/MeH
    2) Flash that file in cwm
    3) Reboot into the OS
    4) Update to ZV8

That is it!!! You are now rooted stock ZV8!!!!

After gaining root on ZV8 you can get CWM recovery by running this ZV8CWMRecovery.bat: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/54501789/Revo/ZV8CWMRecovery.zip

There you have it!!! That was easy now wasn't it!
    Hello there.

Just checking in to let ya know that this thread is on the XDA Portal. Link:

http://www.xda-developers.com/android/lg-revolution-owners-can-keep-root-through-latest-ota/

I hope you like the write up, it actually links to the last article I did for the LG Revolution. Keep up the great work!
    Dang that does sound easy, I guess that's what I get for being an early adopter.

Nothing to see here anymore!!!

I am currently on ZV8, rooted and am having trouble getting CWM. I am in USB debugging mode and internet connection and when I run the .bat file and choose option 1 (CWM Recovery for ZV8) I get * daemon not running. starting it now * * daemon started successfully * and then it does absolutely nothing. I've let it sit for a while and still see no response. Any help is appreciated!

EDIT: I had to install the TL Bootstrap on my computer and then I at least got a response after * daemon started successfully *. Except now it says the following message before restarting the phone without CWM installed.

Device found
    Mounting Device
    remount failed: Operation not permitted
    Pushing Recovery
    8757 KB/s (5345280 bytes in 0.596s)
    Installing CWM Recovery
    /dev/block/mmcblk0p14: cannot open for write: Permission denied
    Remove Trash
    rm failed for /system/etc/install-recovery.sh, Read-only file system
    rm failed for /system/recovery-from-boot.p, Read-only file system
    rm failed for /data/local.prop, No such file or directory
    CWM Recovery!!!
    Press any key to continue . . .

Same issues I had. All the apps I use got SU permissions fine but nothing worked getting CWM on. The instruction in this thread worked perfectly:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1594885
    Will the phone info still say v7 after this. I flashed, all went fine, rebooted, all still good. Checked root, got it, but then checked phone info and it still says v7. I don't really care if it says v7 or what ever as long as I know it's v8. Thanks for all your time and effort dedicated to all of us Revo users MT.

You have to go into your settings and update now. The file doesn't upgrade for you.