Phone Not Starting After Flashing new CWM

Search This thread

Epications

Jan 4, 2014
Hello all,

I've encountered a problem with my Straight Talk Galaxy S II S959G after flashing the CWM from this thread:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2559694

I was running 6.0.1.2 or something along those lines. And I was running the 4.2.2 SuperNexus ROM. I can only get to the Samsung Galaxy S II screen and then it goes blank, but does not shut off, as my computer recognizes as being on. However, I cannot DO anything with it even though it can be connected to my computer. Odin v1.85 does not seem to recognize it either.

If someone could help, it would be much appreciated.

jpasher

Jan 2, 2014
It sounds like you just have a soft brick if you're still getting the Samsung logo.

ODIN is intended to be used in download mode. Are you able to get into download mode (hold vol +/vol -, then plug in the USB cable)? If so, you should be able to reflash the kernel, assuming that's what broke. I like to keep an ODIN flashable full stock ROM (minus bootloaders) handy in the event that I mess things up badly.

I don't have experience with the specific ROM you are trying to flash (I was actually planning on playing around with that one soon).

Reactions: Epications

Epications

Jan 4, 2014
It sounds like you just have a soft brick if you're still getting the Samsung logo.

ODIN is intended to be used in download mode. Are you able to get into download mode (hold vol +/vol -, then plug in the USB cable)? If so, you should be able to reflash the kernel, assuming that's what broke. I like to keep an ODIN flashable full stock ROM (minus bootloaders) handy in the event that I mess things up badly.

I don't have experience with the specific ROM you are trying to flash (I was actually planning on playing around with that one soon).

I'm not very experienced with all of this, but, I have tried Odin mode. My computer does not recognize my phone when it is plugged in.
I do have the stock rom that my phone came with too, but I do not have a Samsung official USB cable to use with it, which, supposedly, is required for this to work. And I do not know if my Odin version on my computer is outdated either.

creepyncrawly

Sep 3, 2010
I'm not very experienced with all of this, but, I have tried Odin mode. My computer does not recognize my phone when it is plugged in.
I do have the stock rom that my phone came with too, but I do not have a Samsung official USB cable to use with it, which, supposedly, is required for this to work. And I do not know if my Odin version on my computer is outdated either.

Many usb cables will work just fine. The original cables are known to be of good quality. Odin3 v1.85 is recommended for this phone, although any version of Odin should work.

Did you open Odin on the desktop before putting the phone into download mode? Sometimes the problem is as simple as wrong sequence.

If you have a USB jig, use that to put the phone into download mode. Then connect it to the computer while Odin is open on the desktop.

Make sure you have the correct driver installed. You should have "SAMSUNG USB driver for mobile phones" in your add/remove programs dialog in windows. If not, install it. If so, uninstall it, reboot, reinstall it.

Try different cables, different usb ports, even different pc's.

jpasher

Jan 2, 2014
I'll try not to butt in too much, since creepyncrawly obviously has a lot of experience.

(at this point, I'm assuming you're on Windows)

Like he said, it's sounds like it's most likely a driver issue. When you first plugged in the phone, did you get a Windows balloon notification saying "Installing drivers"? If you open up device manager, do you have any devices with an exclamation point next to them, indicate a device that failed to start? If so, make sure the Samsung drivers are installed.

A USB jig is definitely nice to have handy. I use this one (as long as you can wait a few weeks on shipping). If you can get into download mode, your bootloaders are probably safe (meaning you should be able to recover easily).

I actually installed that CM11 ROM yesterday on my SGH-I777 (I can't say anything specific about your model and how it may differ, but it seems to basically be the same phone as the I777). I was running stock non-rooted JB 4.1 with stock recovery, so I had to take a little more of a convoluted route to get there.

In the end, here's the thread for you. Once you can get ODIN download mode working again, you should be well on your way to fixing it (flash CWM 6.0.4.5 from ODIN, boot into recovery, then try the ROM install again).

Reactions: SteveMurphy

Epications

Jan 4, 2014
Well, I've tried flashing CWM again using Odin. While I actually can USE Odin this time, it just isn't working... My phone still only turns on and goes blank after the Galaxy S II screen.

jpasher

Jan 2, 2014
I had something similar happen the other night when I flashed a kernel that was apparently incompatible with my Captivate (although it should have been fine). The phone would get stuck on the Galaxy S boot screen. I had to reflash a known good kernel to get it working again.

If you can get into the recovery, you can try a wipe/factory reset + wipe cache.

Is ODIN detecting the phone but just failing to flash the files? What error is it getting?

If ODIN is flashing the files properly, but still preventing full boot up, it's probably easiest at this point to flash back to a stock ROM. The previous thread link has the instructions and flash files (I personally have an S2, not an S959G, so it's a slightly different process).

layyze

Jan 5, 2014
Hi - I don't know if it is a completely outdated method, but this worked on my father's SII skyrocket yesterday when I was encountering a similar softbrick issue:

Get zadig (http://zadig.akeo.ie/), start zadig, get the phone in download mode, hit Options -> List All Devices, select the Samsung or similar device from the dropdown and replace the default USB driver.

Then use heimdall (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=755265) to flash in a replacement recovery.
Double check that your phone is detected in download mode: heimdall detect
Then flash the recovery: heimdall flash --RECOVERY recovery.img (try CWM for your phone version)
(some places will have you add --no-reboot. that didn't work for me. let it auto reboot)

After it powers down, quickly disconnect the USB cable and put your fingers on the +/- buttons to get into recovery mode. From there push over whichever ROM via adb, etc. etc.

Epications

Jan 4, 2014
I had something similar happen the other night when I flashed a kernel that was apparently incompatible with my Captivate (although it should have been fine). The phone would get stuck on the Galaxy S boot screen. I had to reflash a known good kernel to get it working again.

If you can get into the recovery, you can try a wipe/factory reset + wipe cache.

Is ODIN detecting the phone but just failing to flash the files? What error is it getting?

If ODIN is flashing the files properly, but still preventing full boot up, it's probably easiest at this point to flash back to a stock ROM. The previous thread link has the instructions and flash files (I personally have an S2, not an S959G, so it's a slightly different process).

It says Odin is successful, but still nothing happens. And I cannot get into recovery no matter how many times I try.

Epications

Jan 4, 2014
It seems flashing the stock ROM with Odin has worked now, but, now my phone has the tracfone start up animation just looping over and over.

SteveMurphy

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Apr 22, 2012
Atlanta
I'm having difficulties booting into recovery.

If you have the stock boot animation you should have recovery. Take the battery out, then put it back in and hold power+volume +/- until you get recovery. I have sometimes had to do this extra step after restoring stock.

Make sure your phone isn't plugged in while you're trying this, btw.

kapsdj

Jan 31, 2015
mumbai
grand quattro CWM TRAPPED

Hello all,

I've encountered a problem with my Straight Talk Galaxy S II S959G after flashing the CWM from this thread:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2559694

I was running 6.0.1.2 or something along those lines. And I was running the 4.2.2 SuperNexus ROM. I can only get to the Samsung Galaxy S II screen and then it goes blank, but does not shut off, as my computer recognizes as being on. However, I cannot DO anything with it even though it can be connected to my computer. Odin v1.85 does not seem to recognize it either.

If someone could help, it would be much appreciated.
HI BROOOO I M A GRAND QUATTRO USER EVERYTIME I SWITCH ON MY CELL MY CELL DIRECTLY GOES IN CWM MOD M WORRIED ALOT HELPPPPPPPPPPP ME:confused:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Many usb cables will work just fine. The original cables are known to be of good quality. Odin3 v1.85 is recommended for this phone, although any version of Odin should work.

Did you open Odin on the desktop before putting the phone into download mode? Sometimes the problem is as simple as wrong sequence.

If you have a USB jig, use that to put the phone into download mode. Then connect it to the computer while Odin is open on the desktop.

Make sure you have the correct driver installed. You should have "SAMSUNG USB driver for mobile phones" in your add/remove programs dialog in windows. If not, install it. If so, uninstall it, reboot, reinstall it.

Try different cables, different usb ports, even different pc's.
    I'm having difficulties booting into recovery.

If you have the stock boot animation you should have recovery. Take the battery out, then put it back in and hold power+volume +/- until you get recovery. I have sometimes had to do this extra step after restoring stock.

Make sure your phone isn't plugged in while you're trying this, btw.
    It seems flashing the stock ROM with Odin has worked now, but, now my phone has the tracfone start up animation just looping over and over.

Boot into recovery and wipe caches; sometimes you have to do an extra wipe to get out of this type of bootloop.

I'll try not to butt in too much, since creepyncrawly obviously has a lot of experience.

(at this point, I'm assuming you're on Windows)

Like he said, it's sounds like it's most likely a driver issue. When you first plugged in the phone, did you get a Windows balloon notification saying "Installing drivers"? If you open up device manager, do you have any devices with an exclamation point next to them, indicate a device that failed to start? If so, make sure the Samsung drivers are installed.

A USB jig is definitely nice to have handy. I use this one (as long as you can wait a few weeks on shipping). If you can get into download mode, your bootloaders are probably safe (meaning you should be able to recover easily).

I actually installed that CM11 ROM yesterday on my SGH-I777 (I can't say anything specific about your model and how it may differ, but it seems to basically be the same phone as the I777). I was running stock non-rooted JB 4.1 with stock recovery, so I had to take a little more of a convoluted route to get there.

In the end, here's the thread for you. Once you can get ODIN download mode working again, you should be well on your way to fixing it (flash CWM 6.0.4.5 from ODIN, boot into recovery, then try the ROM install again).