root the kit kat 4.4.2

Search This thread

JimSmith94

Jul 21, 2007
Midlothian, TX
Smart Watches
Android Wear
New here. Received my N3 today and it came with 4.4.2 installed already. Whats the best way to root and not trigger knox?

Kingo has still not been updated to root 4.4.2. I was worried about Knox too but finally bit the bullet, rooted, and installed TWRP and a custom ROM. The only downside is that the Knox counter is tripped. IMO the benefits far outweigh this.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    so i downloaded the update today, tried using kingo but it failed, i can confirm that rooting with chainfire auto root works just perfect on the new ota update.....here is the link to download it

http://download.chainfire.eu/352/CF-Root/CF-Auto-Root/CF-Auto-Root-hlte-hltexx-smn9005.zip
    You can also flash with Odin either philz or twrp. ... Keep in mind this rom will reflash stock recovery. .. so uncheck auto reboot in Odin and boot into twrp or Philz using vol up home and power and flash su zip

This has a kit kat bootloader that as of right now is not ! Not! !!!! Not !!!! Able to Downgrade .... so once you have nab you can't use any 4.3 roms. ...
    Sent from my SM-N900P using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
    I tweeted kingo and it didn't seem that there was any plan to update which is frustrating.

kingoapp ‏Feb 23
    @thepuaSwitch Sorry, but 4.4.2 is just not supported.

I then asked if he had plans to update and he never responded :( It sucks that I read how to update with root via mobile odin pro and odin on the desktop but of course it was after I updated.

Do you want to keep Knox intact and retain root? It's possible, and theoretically would work with the open bootloader.

I am not supprting doing this at all, but I also believe that it is highly likely you could do this.

Your longest path would be...

Open bootloader tar, flash via Odin...

*Downgrade to NA4 tar, flash via Odin...

Downgrade to MJ4 tar, flash via Odin...

Follow the Knox 0x0 NABD instructions...

Profit...

*Perhaps unnecessary.

If interested, let me know and I'll get you the help you need for the kill.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
    I can also confirm that the link provided roots the sprint variant of n3

Sent from my SM-N900P using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    Anyone on NAB, not NABD, who has that build on their phone, please PM me ASAP. I need a few small files from your phone.

Time is of the essence folks, and it would be greatly appreciated.

Man thanks.
    i was gonna ask joshbeach how to move the update.zip file, but i messed up my phone this morning trying to flash some incompatible mods, i'm back to using an iphone 4s till i get my phone functional again and should be able to get you the files you need