Windows 8 sucks for desktops....

Search This thread

AndrewH1993

Dec 17, 2010
howeitworks.com
Guys yall are freaking over nothing, they are probably going to install a controller to switch back to the windows 7 classic start menu and then switch back to the metro, but look at it this way, this is a more patched build then windows 7 and it is not over done with the superfetch service too... Use it while its useful, viruses knows how to mess up windows 7 and down but the 8012 build is a little more immune

Sent from my SGH-i917 using XDA Windows Phone 7 App

AndrewH1993

Dec 17, 2010
howeitworks.com
Currently there are registry switchers to let you gp back to the 7 classic for the windows developer preview, just go find them

Sent from my SGH-i917 using XDA Windows Phone 7 App

link68759

Jun 20, 2010
Razer Phone 2
Sony Xperia 5 II
No, there aren't. There was a problem with (****ty) FAT that caused Microsoft to move all ini files to one file but it's not the case now when Windows uses NTFS.

Wrong. The ini files could be
a) fragmented
b) not fragmented, but two or more used by one program might be in separate places on the HDD
c) fragmented and two or more are in separate places.

Registry is always defragmented and always in one place. This is a more reliable and generally favorable solution.

dazza9075

Jul 22, 2007
Suffolk
I'd imagine so, shall need to wait and see, I heard that it's min specs were the same as win 7 so I doubt it will be slower, I also heard that the new desktop will essentially display as a game making the lag between movement an action much faster an more fluid

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using XDA Windows Phone 7 App

gkillerx

Mar 22, 2009
I Really don't get how people think, this can be me but what I have seens since windows 98:

Windows XP, first look:
It's ugly bla bla bla not working, it crashes too much!
Now 2012:
Windows XP is still supported and a lot of people are still using it!

Windows Vista:
(lets just forget this one, haha)

Windows 7:, First view:
The new design is not done, windows XP is much better!!!!
What are we all using now (well most of use, on our laptops and home pc's?) that's right, windows 7!

Windows 8:, first DEVELOPER build view:
Metro UI sucks, it's a TOUCH interface!!
In 2013, everybody has a touch screen, I can't go without one, still what we all have seen now is how the TOUCH metro ui looks like and I love it, it's clean, simple and ready for the future! When the beta comes out, 29 feb, we will get a more laptop/pc friendly metro UI, the developer build was just to show off nothing more, nothing less...

It can be just me, but this is how I think about windows 8:
It's great microsoft tries something completly different, they can't stay in the 2000 design, it's time to move one, design something new. Now I think it's just a matther of getting used to it but this is with EVERY thing. I realy can't wait for the beta to arive and install it on my Laptop, it will feel like a new laptop again just because of the new design ;) After using Developer Build for more then 1 month for testing I am used to the metro (TOUCH) UI and can't wait for the metro PC ui.

normaly I don't say this but if there are some grammar mistakes, pardon me I'm not a native english speaker and have dyslexia. oh and i ain't a windows fanboy, linux is still my most used os now days.

Last edited:
Reactions: link68759

qwerty warrior

Jan 21, 2011
if u hate metro soo much just disable it ....

---------- Post added at 01:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 PM ----------

Windows 95
a big change in the indistry but was horrid

windows 98
a big improvement but still...

windows ME
it was worse than vista

windows 2k
was and STILL a great OS

Windows XP, first look:
It's ugly bla bla bla not working, it crashes too much!
couple of years later with sp2 and sp3 - it got fixed and its amazing
i dare anyone to try windows xp without any service packages

WINDOWS 7
a pure miracle
XP mode integrated etc
immediately finds drivers for hardware u plug in
even hardware from xp era
what can u ask more

windows 8
if they expect metro to be a standard they are dead wrong
windows 8 will only succeed in the desktop market if it has the ability to switch off metro completely
which im sure ill happen - if not u got the regedit trick

---------- Post added at 01:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:30 PM ----------

and you know this how? If you have a customer preview link then please share so we can all try it

yes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP9GwRoS5_g
http://winunleaked.tk/2012/02/windows-8-beta-candidate-build-8220/
they made it worse
i didnt know that was possible but they did

Last edited:

dazza9075

Jul 22, 2007
Suffolk
Lol, a shoddy video of a picture made by someone who can't count? Lol when I get to play with it for real ill let you know if it's any good or not, until then your just buying in to the whole anti ms FUD, its different yes, better? WE Don't know!! At lest try an be open minded once you get used to it you may love it, if you hate it after you've used it then fair enough but right now it's pointless saying how bad it is, it serves bo one cept to continue the spread of FUD

link68759

Jun 20, 2010
Razer Phone 2
Sony Xperia 5 II
For those who hate it, stick with 7 and never use 8. That's all there is to it. Hell, my laptop may have 7 on it but my primary desktop OS is still XP (it's older, XP is slimmer and therefore runs faster).

8 with metro is coming whether you like it or not. Don't like it? Don't use it; your feedback is just wasted space.

kainppc6700

Apr 24, 2010
For those who hate it, stick with 7 and never use 8. That's all there is to it. Hell, my laptop may have 7 on it but my primary desktop OS is still XP (it's older, XP is slimmer and therefore runs faster).

8 with metro is coming whether you like it or not. Don't like it? Don't use it; your feedback is just wasted space.

True. With xp's long usable lifespan and the excellent reception of Win7, I think it's safe to say that we could easily hold out until Windows 9 for it to get fixed up. As for the feedback thing, I'm gonna have to disagree with you, I mean feedback from customers is how microsoft know what sucks and what doesn't.

and you know this how? If you have a customer preview link then please share so we can all try it

ThePirateBay.org?

Win8 lasted all of 30 minutes on my pc before I decided that pile of microsoft doodoo will never touch one of my HDD"s ever again.

At last... More words of wisdom.

Don't even feed the troll guys....
One small opinion can't shake off the whole strong system that Microsoft has built in us about Windows Phone 7.

Keep telling yourself that...

I don't think you know what your talking about.

Also, I'm very careful about what I
Call Windows PHONE 7 ( windows mobile 7 existed but was scraped) I don't compare it to Windows mobile because they are different beasts, WM was (is) a pocket pc, WP is a phone,

With your general lack of understanding and your trolling attitude I suspect you've never used WP, or wm for that matter, your fairly young an your first phone was an android. At least try an be constructive with your posts, no ones telling you to agree one way or another, but if your not able to construct a rational INFORMED debate then you should not return here

Ah you seem to be off on that one. My first "smart" platform was a Palm OS Palm m500 (no phone). I moved on to Windows Mobile 2003 (again, no phone, an iPAQ 4150), then to the famous HTC Diamond with Windows Mobile 6. I might still even be on that if it weren't for some unfortunate events (described in numerous other threads), so I'm not that "retarded kid that got the free phone that mommy and daddy pay for".

I like to get the most out of my mobile equipment, and in my brief inperson visit with WM7, I did not feel that I was in control of it.

I somewhere agree with you and also disagree...i had a HD7 when it launched, uses it for a year and got tired of it...no wallpaper, so access to system files...phew...in the end i almost wondered do i really owe this device or not...anyways, but the OS per say isn't bad...its snappy, fast and v v responsive...i will agree iOS is slightly better, but i hate Apple as I think they every product is a daylight robbery...IMHO. Am on RaZr now and I am happy...

And since you mentioned BB OS, here is something to laugh on while we all see it die a slow death, the shortest joke in the world - Blackberry Smartphone... ;)

Sent from my Droid RaZr.

True, the BlackBerry OS still seems to offer more choices and functionality than Wm7 though. What was that touchscreen BB device with the "clicky" screen? That thing was actually pretty school.

It's windows PHONE 7, not windows mobile 7. If you're trying to play Mr. know-it-all and look down on other people, best get your facts right first.

Let's try to steer this thread to a more civilized discussion, eh? Windows Phone 7 is classified as a smartphone, that's not going to change just because you don't like it. Enough of this petty tit for tat.

Calm down now, no need to grouch :), where's your Saint Valentine's day spirit?

- 2B

link68759

Jun 20, 2010
Razer Phone 2
Sony Xperia 5 II
Well yes, feedback is how microsoft knows what works and what doesn't.

However, they designed 8 and metro based on user statistics (how people use 7) in addition to feedback. MS lets the data write their OS. The majority of windows users have spoken, MS is going ahead with this, so saying 'it sucks' is a fart in the wind.

More than likely, resistance to interface changes are not because they are bad, but because people don't like having to readjust to the way things work. Doesn't matter what the change is, they'll still hate it simply because they aren't used to it.

In response to your comment on WP7, that you didn't feel you had control over it: yes, that's by design. I too love to control the heck out of my HD2, but when transitioning to WP7 you must take a different mindset as well. Windows Mobile 6 is something you play with, customize, do whatever you want with. I spent HOURS just configuring the interface, changing this, modding that... However, nearly all of my time spent using WM6 was spent playing with the system. WP7 takes a different approach, and it is very effective if you embrace it: you're not supposed to play with it. Your phone displays the information you want to see as quickly as possible, then once you have that information, you put your phone away. No messing around with the interface, no dicking around in the settings: it is a transparent gateway to what you need, not an opaque wall that you can spend hours rearranging the bricks on. But some people are so used to playing with the brick wall that it's hard to give up control... and that is where you are I believe. It doesn't suck, you just don't agree with the design philosophy (less using more doing). That's OK, not everyone is going to like it.

BBOS on the other hand fails in every aspect :D

Last edited:

olivierballot

Jun 7, 2010
Inverness
Hello everyone,

I have been using Windows 8 Preview from the beginning on my desktop, and I am very please with it. Once you get use to it, I think it is great. I have an old PCI Wi-Fi card that I cannot use with Vista nor 7, but Windows 8 installed it without any problems.

I can't wait to use the Beta version at the end of February. Whether you like it or not is a matter of personal opinion not because it is a Microsoft product.:)

Magnesus

Mar 7, 2011
Some small village
Wrong. The ini files could be
a) fragmented
b) not fragmented, but two or more used by one program might be in separate places on the HDD
c) fragmented and two or more are in separate places.

Registry is always defragmented and always in one place. This is a more reliable and generally favorable solution.

Sorry, I can't agree with you. Maybe if registry was better implemented, but the way it always was it was a disaster comparing to other OSes solutions. And if such small thing as ini file is fragmented, then the file system has some serious issues (as far as I know NTFS shouldn't have such problems).

Last edited:

efjay

Nov 18, 2004
True. With xp's long usable lifespan and the excellent reception of Win7, I think it's safe to say that we could easily hold out until Windows 9 for it to get fixed up. As for the feedback thing, I'm gonna have to disagree with you, I mean feedback from customers is how microsoft know what sucks and what doesn't

Do you really think Microsoft is going to backtrack from Metro in later iterations of Windows after pushing it as their unified interface? If you are waiting for Windows to be "fixed up", as in Metro no longer present I think you may be holding on to Windows 7 for a long time. But if it works for you, that's good. Doesn't change the fact that Windows 8 is here to stay and future versions are going to be different from what we've been used to for the past 3 decades.

link68759

Jun 20, 2010
Razer Phone 2
Sony Xperia 5 II
Sorry, I can't agree with you. Maybe if registry was better implemented, but the way it always was it was a disaster comparing to other OSes solutions. And if such small thing as ini file is fragmented, then the file system has some serious issues (as far as I know NTFS shouldn't have such problems).
You just don't know how file systems work. Also, you don't seem to know how the registry works. Why is it a disaster? As I and others have mentioned, it has performance benefits. The only thing wrong with it is it's rather daunting and not quite user friendly. But it's not supposed to be, so that isn't a real fault.

Strike_Eagle

Oct 5, 2010
Pull-The-Man, WA
Keep telling yourself that...
Wow... so you are telling me that i am a troll?
I hardly had ever posted in this thread since i know a troll like you have nothing to do but pissing people off.
You have had my words , you can go and say **** if you want. I still use "Windows Phone 7" , not an imagination "Windows Mobile 7" that you created yourself.

kainppc6700

Apr 24, 2010
HOWDYA LIKE ME NOW *CHUCKLE* Reply

Well yes, feedback is how microsoft knows what works and what doesn't.

However, they designed 8 and metro based on user statistics (how people use 7) in addition to feedback. MS lets the data write their OS. The majority of windows users have spoken, MS is going ahead with this, so saying 'it sucks' is a fart in the wind.

More than likely, resistance to interface changes are not because they are bad, but because people don't like having to readjust to the way things work. Doesn't matter what the change is, they'll still hate it simply because they aren't used to it.

So you're saying they designed Windows 8 based on the "feedback" of "user statistics" and found that most people who used Windows 7 preferred to do so through the obscured lens of web based tiles?

In response to your comment on WP7, that you didn't feel you had control over it: yes, that's by design. I too love to control the heck out of my HD2, but when transitioning to WP7 you must take a different mindset as well. Windows Mobile 6 is something you play with, customize, do whatever you want with. I spent HOURS just configuring the interface, changing this, modding that... However, nearly all of my time spent using WM6 was spent playing with the system. WP7 takes a different approach, and it is very effective if you embrace it: you're not supposed to play with it. Your phone displays the information you want to see as quickly as possible, then once you have that information, you put your phone away. No messing around with the interface, no dicking around in the settings: it is a transparent gateway to what you need, not an opaque wall that you can spend hours rearranging the bricks on. But some people are so used to playing with the brick wall that it's hard to give up control... and that is where you are I believe. It doesn't suck, you just don't agree with the design philosophy (less using more doing). That's OK, not everyone is going to like it.

BBOS on the other hand fails in every aspect :D

And that was one of their advertising campaigns. The problem is, there's a line between "too much control" and "too little control to be useful", and unfortunately WM7 goes way past the "too little control to be useful" marker.

Do you really think Microsoft is going to backtrack from Metro in later iterations of Windows after pushing it as their unified interface?

If sales are poor enough, then yes I do actually.

If you are waiting for Windows to be "fixed up", as in Metro no longer present I think you may be holding on to Windows 7 for a long time. But if it works for you, that's good. Doesn't change the fact that Windows 8 is here to stay and future versions are going to be different from what we've been used to for the past 3 decades.

I don't think so honestly. When people complained about how much Vista sucked and threw enough catchup packets at it, MS fixed it up and gave us Windows 7. Then again, that was shortly before Microsoft went all retarded on us, but still, they'll do what they can to keep selling.

Wow... so you are telling me that i am a troll?

Sure.

I hardly had ever posted in this thread since i know a troll like you have nothing to do but pissing people off.

Well that's not the goal... it could be a side effect of another problem on your end of the cable ;). Why not just stop being grouchy though? Put a smile on and show your support for XDA DEVELOPERS. Do you think visitors want to see posts like that? Naaah, I didn't think so either; sometimes we need to stop and take a little "reality check" to see if what we're saying is really benefiting mankind in any way. Have a little "class". Say, wanna be my friend on XDA DEVELOPERS?

- 2B

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    lets be honest here.... the metro UI looks nice and all, but without a touch screen its completely out of place.. Keyboard and mouse interfaces have traditionally been vertical, you move through web pages vertically, you scroll through lists vertically, but metro UI is horizontal, scrolling down to turn right isn't quite intuitive....

and yea Ive done the "hack" to bring back the old start menu, but if you do that the metro UI kinda trips out plus thats the whole point of using windows 8 versus windows 7...

... worst thing was I deleted my Ubuntu partition to use it, but in a couple of days I think I'm gonna get the Ubuntu 11.10 beta 2 and delete windows 8
    I'm apprehensive to keep replying to this thread, because of the blind hatred that is almost always accompanied with a painful amount of ignorance... and any comment I make is quickly buried by more blather. Yet, here I am again. I guess I just can't muster the strength to resist correcting wrongs on the internet. Oh well, maybe I'll learn with time. :)

I read on one of microsoft's developer blogs that the metro start menu is fullscreen primarily because it allows you to visualize what you have access to. It's also finger friendly, and a whole lot better than 7's start menu that is confined to that little box (XP's was better because it allowed the box to expand across the screen). This makes sense. You should be happy that they are making the start menu more efficient, stop whining.

About tiles; a lot of the people in this thread seem to think that the introduction of tiles equals less user control, or dumbing down the system. Where do you get that idea? Adding a UI layer does not dumb down the whole OS, as it does not change anything about it OS; it is an entirely new UI that doesn't really replace any functionality. If you try to argue that the metro UI as replacing the pinnable area in the 7 start menu, then this is much an improvement: the pins update to give you information without you having to open whatever it launches.

I personally hate widgets; I want to use them because I love the idea of getting information on my desktop, but they cover my wallpaper which I like to have a clear view of. Tiles are perfect; no stupid UI or complex themes, no round edges that don't fit together. Information that's nice and neat, that is a separate UI element from the desktop, so my wallpaper isn't covered. I like it.
    I have previously mentioned that the biggest reason people hate live tiles is because they don't know how to use them, or how to properly embrace the system. These would be the people who shut their ears and shout nonsense at the first sign of change. It's incredibly annoying, would you stop?

The only valid arguments against tiles are the ones that point out the inefficient text size. Yes, it could stand to get customizable text sizes and perhaps a few tweaks to accommodate more text information (though I can appreciate that the reasons for the limits; this is supposed to be a preview of content, not the entirety of the content, and we shouldn't start asking for entire articles or books to scroll through tile previews). I believe that these updates are coming, however, on both desktop and WP8, so have patience; there is no reason to spew hate on a work in progress, this is only counter productive. One of the reasons I got WP7 was so that I could follow the development of a new technology. It's quite exciting to see something grow and mature :)

I know that the 360 has a raging preteen fanboy base, but I really don't want to find out that this also applies to Windows desktop. Go bring your fanboyisms to Mac, or linux if you prefer (though I also like to think the *NIX community is populated by professional bearded developers)

Speaking of the 360, I have not heard any mass complaints over the metro UI overhaul. Contrarily, it seems to be positively received almost universally.
    It's a dev preview. It's not even a beta. Anything can and will change. Don't base your opinions of W8 on this.
    maybe i'm just weird like that, but i kinda like the metro ui on my laptop/desktop setup. even though i don't have a touch-enabled screen, it didn't take me long to get used to using metro and make it work the way i like.
    The live tiles and simplicity of it all are very nice, and dual booting Kubuntu was simple, I'm quite sure triple booting (Win7) would be a piece of cake as well. The desk top with the split screen is awesome! And a desktop is a desk top I don 't see the big deal here... Oh, this is a pre beta, I almost forgot. So let's see, New features, choices, smaller footprint, options, OH and Upgrade!?!? Can we try and see the cool part of it?