Cell data connection stalling - anyone else experiencing issues?

Search This thread

gabriolinari

Dec 16, 2010
ok guys so here's my feedback...

here's what i run on:

- android 2.3.3
- baseband : XXKE7
- kernel : 2.6.35.7-I9100 XWKF3-CL276555

and here's what i did:

1. disable fast dormancy with the code, worked for a bit while i was at home, then after i went to work today (so travel in the underground, change of tower), the problem happened again.

so i did do the build.prop change that was posted on page 1

ro.ril.enable.dtm=1
ro.ril.gprsclass=12
ro.ril.enable.3g.prefix=1
ro.ril.hsdpa.category=28
ro.ril.hsupa.category=9
ro.ril.hsxpa=3

didn't work, stalled again, speed test was ok, so i tried:

3)
ro.ril.enable.dtm=1
ro.ril.gprsclass=12
ro.ril.hsdpa.category=10
ro.ril.hsupa.category=6
ro.ril.hsxpa=3

as suggested by iznee, with deleting ro.ril.3g.prefix, with this one, something's changed, speed was horrible (0.5 mbit down / up on speedtest app), and yet again, it stalled again, so i came up with my own "version":

4)
ro.ril.enable.dtm=1
ro.ril.gprsclass=12
ro.ril.hsdpa.category=28
ro.ril.hsupa.category=7
ro.ril.hsxpa=2

now, speed is really good, like 2mbit down and 1.8 upload, i was around town and it didn't stall at all, BUT when i got home, i tried again and it looked stuck with the up arrow and H stuck there, for a good while, then something happened, the H went away, just as if the connection was resetted (which i didn't) and worked back again.

and in the end the H still goes back to 3G when you browse, then back to H in a very few moments... is it possible to set it just to H and game done? option 4) is the fastest for me anyway...

so i am really confused now!!!! is this last change i did effective or not by what i described?

FINALLY, i just read now that someone on xda said that you need 2 restarts for the build.prop changes....yet another mistery now :)

feedback appreciated

gabrio

gabriolinari

Dec 16, 2010
I am really upset, problem is still there. Cause is when phone has to change tower. I just went underground and out for testing and happened again i had to do data on off.

Seriously, any other idea anyone? There is another fix for fast dormancy i reckon on page one...

Thanks
Gabrio

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA App

gabriolinari

Dec 16, 2010
this is a temp solution however is not definitive:

forcing 3G all the time and not using H / H+ actually solves the issue of the phone not reconnecting to the network when signal goes away for brief periods, i would suggest this to all of you with the same problem until there's a better fix.

i read some people updated firmware and worked, some guy on another forum updated to KG1 and solved, another guy not...

for me, i did this :

secret menu : #*301279# and then chosen the option for removing the H/H+ > so far so good, in terms of speed i get approx 1.5mbit down and 1.5mbit up on o2. in the end, if i enable H/H+, the speed is exactly the same, so peace with it. it doesn't stay there if you restart tho.

and i found the "technical" explanation of why this issue appears:

// The problem stems from the fact that this phone has 3 forms of data connection, 3G, HSDPA, and HSPA+.

3G is what we have all had since 3/Telstra launch 10 years ago.
HSDPA is the 7.2mbps connections that we got after that.
HSPA+ is the full fledged 42mbps Next G stuff that only Telstra has.

The problem is, when you are just using the phone as "a phone" it idles on a 3G connection to save battery and when you initiate a data connection it flicks on to the higher connection protocols for better speed.

What is supposed to happen when you initiate the data connection is the phone checks for H+ connection, then for H and then finally 3G. For some reason if you arent with Telstra or are in an area without HSPA+ the phone gets hung up for too long attempting to initiate the H+ connection and refuses to drop back to H!

Also, even if it does give up on H+ it then has an issue with falling back to 3G. Resulting in the problem that if it cant get H+ or the tower is too flooded for a H connection you get absolutely nothing until you restart the data mode within the phone, renegotiates with the tower and BAM, you are back in business.

// more about this from discussion @ http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1714413

peace guys, hope to have helped a bit!! i will leave my phone like that for a while now, at least is a decent solution.

Smartie36

Oct 4, 2011
I came across that whirlpool thread months ago when searching about the data issues, interesting info in there but no permanent fix for the problems, disabling fd seems to work for some & not others, in my case it's helped but not cured the data stalling issue.

Surely Samsung must be aware of these problems yet even in the latest firmware it's still happening!

zaphod777

Apr 11, 2011
Chigasaki
this is a temp solution however is not definitive:

forcing 3G all the time and not using H / H+ actually solves the issue of the phone not reconnecting to the network when signal goes away for brief periods, i would suggest this to all of you with the same problem until there's a better fix.

i read some people updated firmware and worked, some guy on another forum updated to KG1 and solved, another guy not...

for me, i did this :

secret menu : #*301279# and then chosen the option for removing the H/H+ > so far so good, in terms of speed i get approx 1.5mbit down and 1.5mbit up on o2. in the end, if i enable H/H+, the speed is exactly the same, so peace with it. it doesn't stay there if you restart tho.

and i found the "technical" explanation of why this issue appears:

// The problem stems from the fact that this phone has 3 forms of data connection, 3G, HSDPA, and HSPA+.

3G is what we have all had since 3/Telstra launch 10 years ago.
HSDPA is the 7.2mbps connections that we got after that.
HSPA+ is the full fledged 42mbps Next G stuff that only Telstra has.

The problem is, when you are just using the phone as "a phone" it idles on a 3G connection to save battery and when you initiate a data connection it flicks on to the higher connection protocols for better speed.

What is supposed to happen when you initiate the data connection is the phone checks for H+ connection, then for H and then finally 3G. For some reason if you arent with Telstra or are in an area without HSPA+ the phone gets hung up for too long attempting to initiate the H+ connection and refuses to drop back to H!

Also, even if it does give up on H+ it then has an issue with falling back to 3G. Resulting in the problem that if it cant get H+ or the tower is too flooded for a H connection you get absolutely nothing until you restart the data mode within the phone, renegotiates with the tower and BAM, you are back in business.

// more about this from discussion @ http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1714413

peace guys, hope to have helped a bit!! i will leave my phone like that for a while now, at least is a decent solution.

The code should be *#301279# you switched the * and # in the beginning

gabriolinari

Dec 16, 2010
just for the note, this fully worked:

//

*#2263#

This allows you to select which bands your phone uses. I selected option 2 then tested the 4 available bands. They all resulted in a complete loss of reception except WCDMA 2100. Still like that also when you restart the phone.

//

gabrio

gabriolinari

Dec 16, 2010
Confirm I upgraded to 2.3.4 and prob is gone. Too bad that now phone lags a bit browsing home and in sms..you too?

gab

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA App

lutierigb

Oct 15, 2011
i'm facing the same issue. sometimes i'm connected to H+, suddenly it changes to 3G and after a few seconds (not all the times) i got no data connection at all. cycle the data connection on/off usually gets the data connections back working. sometimes it will come back without any interactions.

i just disabled the HSPA+ thru the *#301279# menu. now, every time I turn data connection on i just see the 3G icon.

unfortunately my phone is running out of battery and I'll have to post the results some other time.

hope this helps!

crypticc

Aug 22, 2009
London
Having experienced way too many connection timeouts I decided to look if someone was having the same issue. Following the suggestion to disable the Fast Dormancy found in this XDA post I immediately found the solution for the problem.

Network: Three UK (3UK)
Android version: 2.3.3

3UK and o2 supports fast dormancy but only ki* appears to me to have the correct nwk_info.db settings. (albeit reversed they work off dormancy = enabled)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

wltklah

Jul 29, 2011
Urbana
Guys, I am having the exact issue here with the latest stock KI3 firmware updated via KIES!!!! Internet connection just went dead with only uploading flashing. I thought it was the issue with the tower in that area, so I left it be to see what will happen when I got home. Guess what, it's still dead even though I left that area. I am not on that tower any more but the problem didn't go away. It is definitely an issue on the phone itself. With so many updates on the radio without fixing the issue, I am thinking it might be an hardware issue after all!!! p.s. I am using AT&T in IL, USA

salmanslick

i have the same problem i.e data loses connection. after a fresh flash of stock rom and factory reset , it starts working fine for a week or so and then the shyt happens again . i can tell u , its not a hardware issue, it more like a software issue.

i m not good at android but wen i used to run squid on a linux machine as a proxy server , i recall i had to clear a log file to make data flow possible every few days. i think android has a similar issues some logs files build up or some **** like that.

Mark67222

Jul 14, 2011
So is there still no cure for this problem?

I'm suffering this now and really annoying.

I'm considering switching to O2 just to see if vodafone network is partly responsible.

wltklah

Jul 29, 2011
Urbana
i have the same problem i.e data loses connection. after a fresh flash of stock rom and factory reset , it starts working fine for a week or so and then the shyt happens again . i can tell u , its not a hardware issue, it more like a software issue.

i m not good at android but wen i used to run squid on a linux machine as a proxy server , i recall i had to clear a log file to make data flow possible every few days. i think android has a similar issues some logs files build up or some **** like that.

It's 100% software issue or the network provider's issue. I use the same rom and same modem in both Taiwan's network provider and USA's AT&T. I have no issue in Taiwan while I have 3G hang issue in USA AT&T with same ROM and Modem file. Now I really don't know who can fix it.

icecubix2

Jul 27, 2007
It's 100% software issue or the network provider's issue...

SOLVED! :DSince a week ago I don't have (finally!!) this problem. My provider (Simyo, in Spain) has this problem. I solved by selecting roaming manual - national:
Simyo has a program ("servicio simyo") in which you select the roaming you want. By default it is "automatic". I put it in "manual" and then "national" (not international). Someone in htcmania.com forum (I don't remember who, sorry) give me the solution, and since a week ago I don't have connection problems.
Regards.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've spoken about this issue, the 3g itself doesn't want to work.
    I've tried uskr's fix and it seemed to have worked. Also root needed.

The fix involves editing /system/build.prop
    adding to the bottom.

ro.ril.enable.dtm=1
    ro.ril.gprsclass=12
    ro.ril.enable.3g.prefix=1
    ro.ril.hsdpa.category=28
    ro.ril.hsupa.category=9
    ro.ril.hsxpa=3
    Hi!

Is anyone else experiencing problems with the mobile data connection on this phone? It frequently stops working. Being in an area with excellent HSPA+ coverage, this can't be a signal issue.

The phone will suddenly stop loading anything, while displaying "3G" and an active upload indicator in the notification area. No internet usage is possible in these situations.

The only remedy: Cycling "data network mode" off/on. The phone will then immediately pick up HSPA+ again, working as intended.

My previous phone (Nexus One), which I used pretty much identically and at the same places as my Galaxy S2, did not experience these stalling issues. Is this a general (firmware) problem, or should I possibly look into getting a replacement unit?
    Mate, how exactly did u disable fast dormancy please? i am really dying to solve this data connection issue which is really driving make crazy right now.. please could u provide some info for this?
    Thanks

Someone mentioned loading up the phone hidden menu *#*#9900#*#* and clicking on Disable Fast Dormancy there, but not sure if that actually works or not.
    Happens to me, can't wait till it's fixed.
    Try flashing another baseband version. before flashing KE7 with baseband XXKE4 I had no problems with data connection stalling or reception, but afterwards, it happend quite frequently.

I flashed back NEKD5 baseband today. It didn't give me any problems before and hopefully will solve the connection problems I got from KE7.

Baseband I9100NEKD5: http://www.multiupload.com/JQHECK35N4
    Just flash it like a normal ROM using Odin.