Record screen over MHL/HDMI

Search This thread

raydowe

Jul 18, 2009
Toronto
Hey guys,

I'm working on a project in work that will require good quality video of an Android phone. I've looked at a few apps that can record your screen and output a video, but none of them give me the framerate or quality I'm looking for.

The solution I'm looking at now is using MHL to output the phone's display to HDMI, and using an HDMI capture card to record the signal. I know I can display the Galaxy Nexus' screen on a 720p television (as per the video here -> (YOUTUBE)/watch?v=ENdJv_AI5vU, sorry can't post links) but I'm concerned about HDCP. The wikipedia article for MHL states that a feature of it is:

Supports High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP).

I'm not sure if that means all MHL signs are encrypted, or that it should be able to support HDCP on request.

Does anyone have experience with recording HDMI/MHL recording, or recording a phone's display to video in general? Any help or advice is much appreciated.

tymcode

Jan 23, 2012
Elgato Game Capture HD Incompatible with MHL

Hey guys,
Does anyone have experience with recording HDMI/MHL recording, or recording a phone's display to video in general? Any help or advice is much appreciated.

I've struggled with this in my test lab at work. I have not yet found a solution that works reliably with MHL or even HDMI when the phone has it. I tried one from Diamond Multimedia without luck. I use the Elgato Game Capture HD but so far it only works with my ASUS Transformer TF300T and Motorola Xoom, both with HDMI output. I've got several MHL adapters, both the standard 5-pin and the Samsung-style 11-pin ones and the SlimPort for the Nexus 4. I've tried it with many devices:

Samsung Galaxy S II/III/IV, Vizio VTAB1008, Sony Xperia S, Nexus 4, Droid DNA, HTC One X and many others. Only the Transformer TF300T and Xoom work.

According to Elgato there are no known MHL devices that work, though they only tried a few. I can't yet post links but just Google this:
Code:
"game capture HD" MHL
and choose the first link to Elgato's site.

KindsKoPP

Jan 7, 2013
what u are looking for it is more a software solution.
u need something like tv support app and teamviewer. and u need a fhd display. and a record software on your pc which can record in fhd.
use tv support and teamviewer at the same time and overlay the screen of your smartphone and screen of your pc.
dont know if the cpu and ram of the phone powerfull enough to let the video stream fluently. maybe with the note3 or lg g2 or sony z1.
i already tested it with the note1 but it is almost a year ago and i dont own it anymore. my nexus7 2013 is broken right now. so i cant test it anymore. have to wait till 3 weeksto get the n7 back.

cheers