[Q] Need help with unlocking Bootloader

Search This thread

pulkitanand

Dec 8, 2013
East Lansing
I am running Android 4.4.2 KitKat on my At&t Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-I337. I have looked at so many forums and threads but none of them have been about an At&t S4 running 4.4.2. Can someone please help me with unlocking the bootloader of this thing since I want to get CM11 on it and I can't just switch phones since I am a student and didn't pay for the device. I would really appreciate a solid process instead of various vague ones since I had soft-bricked my phone and was fortunately able to recover it.

Last edited:

Thr33-F0ur

Oct 28, 2012
Baton Rouge
I am running Android 4.4.2 KitKat on my At&t Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-I337. I have looked at so many forums and threads but none of them have been about an At&t S4 running 4.4.2. Can someone please help me with unlocking the bootloader of this thing since I want to get CM11 on it and I can't just switch phones since I am a student and didn't pay for the device. I would really appreciate a solid process instead of various vague ones since I had soft-bricked my phone and was fortunately able to recover it.

Bootloader is locked down tight. Cm11 won't work, but there is a working Google play edition with safestrap

Sent from my GT-I9505G using XDA Free mobile app

G

GuestX0019

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2616221

there are two GPE roms that are currently working right now.

I would also read up on Hashcodes SafeStrap thread in Dev section.

It doesn't sound like you are close to flashing roms with your current build--

A few days or couple weeks of research can be very beneficial and prevent a bricked phone

Also this will get moved to Q&A

Good luck on the flashing--backup before doing anything new--:good:

Soulflame22

Jul 4, 2014
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2616221

there are two GPE roms that are currently working right now.

Thanks Soulflame22 for that link. One last thing I need to clarify - are these legit GPE ROMS and will I be able to get future updates?

As far as i know, you can't take OTA updates from google. and yeah you should also read about Safestrap as well. Since that is the only recovery we can use.

pulkitanand

Dec 8, 2013
East Lansing
Alright, I will read-up on those. But I have seen a few methods in which you use a Loki'd TWRP Recovery? Isn't that possible for my android version as well? Nobody specified in the methods that I saw, that's why I am asking.

I would also read up on Hashcodes SafeStrap thread in Dev section.

It doesn't sound like you are close to flashing roms with your current build--

A few days or couple weeks of research can be very beneficial and prevent a bricked phone

Also this will get moved to Q&A

Good luck on the flashing--backup before doing anything new--:good:

Bweekzzz

Dec 13, 2007
What's up man? You can't use loki, TWRP, or anything else except safestrap. Read the link above for everything mk2, nb1, nc1. I know it's a lot, but read it. You should be on NC1, so first read root section for NC1. Then read recovery section and get safestrap 3.73. Then read the installation instructions for NC1 base. The GEE roms are ok, but not without bugs. I tried both of them and they weren't for me because of the bugs. I know it's a lot but those sections should get you there. Good luck k man. Oh yeah. You can't take OTA updates with the GPE rooms either. They are taken from GPE but modified to work with safestrap. The official updates won't work.

---------- Post added at 12:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 AM ----------

I meant safestrap 3.72. Not 3.73. Sorry. Typo.

pulkitanand

Dec 8, 2013
East Lansing
Thank you very much for clarifying the whole thing for me. I have read everything in that link given and now I understand how to do it. Have to say, it's quite a bit more to do for us At&t users. I don't know why Samsung chose to lock the bootloader -.-

What's up man? You can't use loki, TWRP, or anything else except safestrap. Read the link above for everything mk2, nb1, nc1. I know it's a lot, but read it. You should be on NC1, so first read root section for NC1. Then read recovery section and get safestrap 3.73. Then read the installation instructions for NC1 base. The GEE roms are ok, but not without bugs. I tried both of them and they weren't for me because of the bugs. I know it's a lot but those sections should get you there. Good luck k man. Oh yeah. You can't take OTA updates with the GPE rooms either. They are taken from GPE but modified to work with safestrap. The official updates won't work.

---------- Post added at 12:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 AM ----------

pulkitanand

Dec 8, 2013
East Lansing
Which ROM do you recommend from the list of ROMs given in that link?

cxzzcx

Feb 24, 2012
Which ROM do you recommend from the list of ROMs given in that link?

Please read the links and resources on the forums before asking questions. If you bothered to read the GPE pages, they indicate that both roms are pretty much the same as they are based on the same rom. Also, AT&T decided to ship with a locked bootloader. Samsung gives that option to carriers and it's their decision on that.

Bweekzzz

Dec 13, 2007
It really wouldn't matter if I suggested some roms because once you get started you'll be flashing them all sooner or later like most of us. LOL. Honestly the best thing to do is flash one, use it for about a week. If you don't like it, try another one. Once you get the hang of flashing them is not a big deal when you want to try another one. Titanium backup your user apps and restore them after you flash roms. Just the user apps, not system stuff. Easy peasy. What I usually do is do a search on you tube for a review of the rom I wanna try and see if I might like it. The guy from androidrootz usually does good ones. Have fun man. It's quite an addiction at times. LOL.

pulkitanand

Dec 8, 2013
East Lansing
Haha I know what you mean. I had a Sony Xperia Ion before and I used to mod some little thing on it all the time. It is quite an addiction lol. Yeah I will probably end up doing that although I am hoping that the GPE will be good enough for me. Thanks.

It really wouldn't matter if I suggested some roms because once you get started you'll be flashing them all sooner or later like most of us. LOL. Honestly the best thing to do is flash one, use it for about a week. If you don't like it, try another one. Once you get the hang of flashing them is not a big deal when you want to try another one. Titanium backup your user apps and restore them after you flash roms. Just the user apps, not system stuff. Easy peasy. What I usually do is do a search on you tube for a review of the rom I wanna try and see if I might like it. The guy from androidrootz usually does good ones. Have fun man. It's quite an addiction at times. LOL.

Bweekzzz

Dec 13, 2007
Oh yeah. And don't even pay attention to some people telling you to do this and that before asking questions, because you didn't bother to read something. How do they know what you read and MAYBE MISSED. They're all geniuses and never need to ask questions.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Oh yeah. And don't even pay attention to some people telling you to do this and that before asking questions, because you didn't bother to read something. How do they know what you read and MAYBE MISSED. They're all geniuses and never need to ask questions.