Steps to get back GPS on your T-Mobile Galaxy S3

Search This thread

flipq88

Aug 11, 2011
so maybe i missed something, how do you loose GPS? are TW roms loosing GPS? ive been using AOSP roms and have no issues with GPS at all

I've gone thru both types of roms and my gps worked great. Then I had been on Frosty for a while when suddenly it just stopped working. I found out one time when I was trying to use navigation but the "searching using gps" never showed up in the notification bar and I had just used it a few days before. Tried a bunch of roms and it didn't work. Only until I flashed synergy rom did it start working again

Sent from Flip's S3

DsturbD

Feb 27, 2012
Kannapolis, NC
I've gone thru both types of roms and my gps worked great. Then I had been on Frosty for a while when suddenly it just stopped working. I found out one time when I was trying to use navigation but the "searching using gps" never showed up in the notification bar and I had just used it a few days before. Tried a bunch of roms and it didn't work. Only until I flashed synergy rom did it start working again

Sent from Flip's S3

hmmmm, well knock on wood, nothing like that has happened yet

LLCoolWas

Jul 11, 2006
Following steps 1-6 in post 1 was the only way i was able to get GPS working again. I tried other T-Mobile original firmwares and none of them fixed the GPS issue. Instead of step 7, I restored my CWM backup, and it is still working.

Xx_silenzer_xX

Feb 1, 2011
I'm in download mode but I can't seem to find the option to install a zip .

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Xx_silenzer_xX

Feb 1, 2011
So I booted into download mode do I have to place the zip in a certain directory do I plug it into a computer kuz all I get is android is downloading do not power off

bikrame

Jun 10, 2010
New York City
So I booted into download mode do I have to place the zip in a certain directory do I plug it into a computer kuz all I get is android is downloading do not power off

No open odin. Select pda. Choose base file and click start. Make sure you dont unplug unless it says passs on odin.
Make sure ur phone is connected well .

Don_Perrignon

Jan 13, 2011
San Antonio, Texas, USA
so maybe i missed something, how do you loose GPS? are TW roms loosing GPS? ive been using AOSP roms and have no issues with GPS at all

From what I'm seeing, it's when people go from 4.2 back to 4.1 on a AOSP variation.

I had the same thing- GPS ate it, started working again randomly, then ate it again, even after following the steps in this post. I got my RMA'd replacement today, and I'm not about to load anything custom on it until the warranty is long out and whatever is causing this problem is resolved.

I've been flashing ROMs. It's just now that about a week after I got my replacement, the issue that I didn't want to deal with in 4.2 have either been solved or been smoothed over well enough. Since it seems from what I see that going from 4.2 back to 4.1 breaks it, I have since stayed on 4.2 since the issues I care about have been solved now.

nickstopo

Jan 24, 2011
I've already done this twice and it's a lengthy process each time. Expect to do it every time going to a 4.1 ROM from a 4.2. Hopefully, we can get an official 4.2 soon so we can clear up file issues.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app

bobolinko

Nov 5, 2010
Everett WA
Thanks! All my WORKING backups were unable to restore the functioning GPS even if the NAV WAS WORKING at the time of Nandroid backups!
IDK why, but this did the trick. Granted, it's a long way from here to where I was, but at least the phone is again fully functional, and I can build the system back to where I was!

Aloha!

Towle

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 26, 2010
The Wild
To save a lot of time, I don't see why it wouldn't work to use the root66 file for step 3. That way you would be on the latest firmware with root.

egren58

Jul 19, 2011
Please help I have jo GPS on my rom please help? Idk how to Odin or anything I'm new to Samsung etc.. :(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app

r3a1ist

Aug 8, 2011
Please help I have jo GPS on my rom please help? Idk how to Odin or anything I'm new to Samsung etc.. :(

LoL

---------- Post added at 12:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:23 AM ----------

You had to flash a ROM to get in this position so you have to have some knowledge. Odin is the Samsung windows program used with the samaung boot loader. How to access that is defined in original post. You need to download, unzip and then flash the stock t mobile system file. Takes your phone back to its first factory setting and boot up. Be careful using Odin it can brick your phone. If your phone connects you will see com in green in the far left box. Click PDA button to load file and click start and allow to finish. Dont touch anything else. Hope that gives you the guidance you need good luck.

bobolinko

Nov 5, 2010
Everett WA
I did it differently and faster

You just need to do the following steps to get back GPS on your T-Mobile GS3

1. Do Nandroid backup (I used CWM)
2. Install TriangleAway here. Thanks to Chainfire.
3. Open TriangleAway, reset flashing counter (you must have root access)
4. Download original unrooted firmware for T-Mobile Galaxy S3 (T999UVALEM) here. Thanks to SamMobile
5. Boot your phone into Download Mode (Volume down + power + home) and flash the firmware above via ODIN
5a. If you have bootloop after flashing, remove battery, boot your phone into Recovery Mode by holding volume up + power + home (should be stock recovery because custom recovery will be lost), wipe data (factory reset) + wipe cache
6. When your phone finishes rebooting, you will see the GPS has been fixed and worked perfectly.

Then rather than re doing all the stuff to get to where you were, I just restored the nandroid backup and all was good. it took minutes instead of many hours!

contriver12

Apr 25, 2009
Illinois
To save a lot of time, I don't see why it wouldn't work to use the root66 file for step 3. That way you would be on the latest firmware with root.

I tried that but it wasn't successful for me. When I used the newest root66 file for step 3 it didn't fix the GPS. I had to go back to the T999UVALEM firmware first which fixed the GPS and then used the root66 file to get myself to the latest version. It doesn't really make sense to me why one works and the other doesn't but I'm not going to complain about results.

Towle

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 26, 2010
The Wild
I tried that but it wasn't successful for me. When I used the newest root66 file for step 3 it didn't fix the GPS. I had to go back to the T999UVALEM firmware first which fixed the GPS and then used the root66 file to get myself to the latest version. It doesn't really make sense to me why one works and the other doesn't but I'm not going to complain about results.

Did you do anything differently when you flashed UVALEM? Such as wipe data?

egren58

Jul 19, 2011
Okay I got GPS back but now it takes a whole to find GPS...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You just need to do the following steps to get back GPS on your T-Mobile GS3
    1. Install TriangleAway here. Thanks to Chainfire.
    2. Open TriangleAway, reset flashing counter (you must have root access)
    3. Download original unrooted firmware for T-Mobile Galaxy S3 (T999UVALEM) here. Thanks to SamMobile
    4. Boot your phone into Download Mode (Volume down + power + home) and flash the firmware above via ODIN
    5. If you have bootloop after flashing, remove battery, boot your phone into Recovery Mode by holding volume up + power + home (should be stock recovery because custom recovery will be lost), wipe data (factory reset) + wipe cache
    6. When your phone finishes rebooting, you will see the GPS has been fixed and worked perfectly.
    7. Upgrading to the latest JB 4.1.1 by flashing the rooted firmware by DocHoliday77 here. GPS still works.
    Please thanks if this post is helpful. :)
    Can we just flash these via recovery? I don't have access to a laptop

Sent from Flip's S3

See first line of op

If i helped hit thanks
    Did the same thing, was told that if you flash the Synergy Rom it will bring back your GPS, it worked for me as well, connecting fast as ever too! It's worth a try

sent from my wicked pink sgs3
    Thanks but I really hate the idea of having to Odin this back to stock and reroot just to get GPS to work again but if that's my only option then I'm gonna have too.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium

Try flashing the synergy ROM, that's what worked for me and a few others

sent from my wicked pink sgs3
    The Synergy ROM is the easiest fix... I made a full backup in TWRP in case I bork it again but installing Synergy, downloading and running GPS Test from Play Store and waiting until I get a lock then going to whatever ROM I want worked perfectly.