Unroot but keep current ROM?

Search This thread

SleepyDad

Nov 16, 2011
My employer just implemented a new policy where they won't allow corporate email on a rooted phone. I'm currently running a rooted phone with a custom ROM.

I'm familiar with flashing, ODIN, etc. but I'm not sure if/how to unroot my phone but keep my current ROM (if possible).

Is this possible, thanks!

rkant18

Feb 2, 2013
If you took the 4.3 update you're out of luck

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Larry2999

Feb 7, 2014
Atlanta, GA
I have the S3Rx 3.0 Rom installed currently, which is 4.3.

Unroot and custom ROM are a contradiction in terms. Installing a custom ROM means making modifications to your device's operating system which necessarily requires root access. If you want to be compliant with this particular device, therefore, you would need to revert to the full 4.3 stock ROM. If you need to do this, there's a thread somewhere that contains the full 4.3 restore image.

codemonkey98

Nov 5, 2013
Pensacola, FL
Unroot and custom ROM are a contradiction in terms. Installing a custom ROM means making modifications to your device's operating system which necessarily requires root access. If you want to be compliant with this particular device, therefore, you would need to revert to the full 4.3 stock ROM. If you need to do this, there's a thread somewhere that contains the full 4.3 restore image.

Flashing a ROM does not require root. The custom recovery and the actual Android operating system are two completely different operating systems.

~~~~~

If your work isn't allowing you to be rooted on their email server, I believe you can hide root with a certain application that is on my tongue. I'll more than likely edit my post when it comes to my mind again.

mkfryan

Aug 9, 2012
Fargo ND
I believe super user and super su both have unroot options. So you could get your ROM setup three way you want then unroot. Otherwise like codemonkey said I believe there is an app I've seen to hide root

Making the iPhone jealous one user at a time.

Larry2999

Feb 7, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Flashing a ROM does not require root. The custom recovery and the actual Android operating system are two completely different operating systems.

~~~~~

If your work isn't allowing you to be rooted on their email server, I believe you can hide root with a certain application that is on my tongue. I'll more than likely edit my post when it comes to my mind again.

If you are flashing a custom ROM that does not require pre-root, it's because the root process is embedded into the whole installation process of the ROM itself. Thus, you may not see it but it's there all the same. The basic definition of root itself is making changes/gaining privileged access to the core of your phone's operating system which is what you are doing when you install a custom ROM. It may be possible indeed to hide root but it doesn't change the fact that it's there and it would all boil down to how the Company's enterprise system is set to function. If it is set up to use Knox security settings which mostly favors corporate environments, then it may be difficult to by-pass.

kalel420

Jul 29, 2013
CORPUS CHRISTI
My employer just implemented a new policy where they won't allow corporate email on a rooted phone. I'm currently running a rooted phone with a custom ROM.

I'm familiar with flashing, ODIN, etc. but I'm not sure if/how to unroot my phone but keep my current ROM (if possible).

Is this possible, thanks!

Look through the exposed framework module download section there should be me one there that will help you I saw it yesterday it says it will hide root from a app without uprooting your phone

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

Alexandre-P

Aug 8, 2012
Montreal
I believe super user and super su both have unroot options. So you could get your ROM setup three way you want then unroot.
Question here: if he unroots, would an update to his ROM re-root? I mean, it would most certainly re-install SuperSU/Superuser, particularly if the new ROM version includes a newer SuperSU/Superuser. So that would mean he would have to un-root after every upgrade...

--------

I too saw an Xposed module for this (RootCloak, not to name it ; and if the corporate email app is Good For Enterprise, there is also Good for Enterprise Disable Root Check). Haven't tried any of them. But read the fine prints, as they say when an app would still be able to find root even if it's hidden.

vbetts

Jun 21, 2010
Toledo Ohio
Question here: if he unroots, would an update to his ROM re-root? I mean, it would most certainly re-install SuperSU/Superuser, particularly if the new ROM version includes a newer SuperSU/Superuser. So that would mean he would have to un-root after every upgrade...

--------

I too saw an Xposed module for this (RootCloak, not to name it ; and if the corporate email app is Good For Enterprise, there is also Good for Enterprise Disable Root Check). Haven't tried any of them. But read the fine prints, as they say when an app would still be able to find root even if it's hidden.

If the rom update includes busybox it will.

I accidentally unrooted my device though. I did the fix root command in recovery mode, then deleted the original SU app on my device and it did unroot it. Problem is with a custom rom, you depend on root for everything!