[Q] Can I use AT&T i747 on Bell in Canada?

Search This thread

quaxer

Jul 7, 2014
I have an unlocked stock rooted AT&T i747 running 4.1.2. I want to use it on the Bell network. When I put in a Bell sim, it shows it has service, and the pda.bell.ca APN shows up, but it can't find the Bell network, only Rogers. Just wondering if anyone else has tried the same thing and had success or no? As it is I cannot call, text, or browse... Please let me know if there is anything I can do.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-01-03-23-01-00.png
    Screenshot_2012-01-03-23-01-00.png
    39.3 KB · Views: 57

audit13

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
Is there an option in the network settings to select lte or wcdma?

Did you check to make sure the phone isn't listed as being blacklisted?

Reactions: mrrocketdog

quaxer

Jul 7, 2014

I haven't located any settings about WCDMA or LTE. On my i747m I'm used to being able to toggle between 2G/3G/4G. Nothing like that here. Bell's IMEI check approved it, and it's not on the national blacklist.

Last edited:

quaxer

Jul 7, 2014
Trying to... :) However I'm still not getting any data service.

Last edited:

BWolf56

Mar 25, 2011
Outaouais
Trying to... :) However I'm still not getting any data service.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1434995 has the APN, I assume you already looked it up but can be useful.

Getting service but no data is usually just not having data turned on.. So obvious question: Do you have it turned on in your settings/pulldown menu?

If your APN checks and data is turned on, you might have to give Bell a call (don't have to tell them you have a US variant).

quaxer

Jul 7, 2014
Thanks for your input. Data is definitely turned on. However, please remember that it's not only data that isn't working. I am also unable to call and text.

Last edited:

BWolf56

Mar 25, 2011
Outaouais
Thanks for your input. Data is definitely turned on. However, please remember that it's not only data that isn't working. I am also unable to call and text.

Can you check to make sure your baseband matches your bootloaders? If it does, I'm out of options for now. Bell (or someone else) can probably help you further.

quaxer

Jul 7, 2014
Sorry for not being overly knowledgeable...

How can I tell what bootloader I'm running?

Sent from my SGH-I747M

quaxer

Jul 7, 2014
Ok. I found how tell what bootloader I'm running. The baseband and bootloader do match.

Sent from my SGH-I747M

quaxer

Jul 7, 2014
Back to the same question

So... This phone has sat around for a few months, and now I want to sell it to a friend of mine on Telus. Anyone know what we need to do to make it work???

quaxer

Jul 7, 2014
Once the phone has been unlocked, it will work on all carriers except Wind and Mobilicity.

It seems it should be that way... the phone is unlocked, but when I put a Bell sim in it it says emergency calls only. The only network that comes up to set as default is Rogers. Can you advise me as to how to make 100% sure the phone is unlocked?

quaxer

Jul 7, 2014
Are you running a custom ROM? Can you change the network settings to wcdma only?

I rooted it with Chainfire's Odin Autoroot, but everything else is stock... I can't find a way to change the network settings to wcdma only... I'm trying to use it on a GSM network, anyway. Or am I not understanding? ;)

audit13

Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
I rooted it with Chainfire's Odin Autoroot, but everything else is stock... I can't find a way to change the network settings to wcdma only... I'm trying to use it on a GSM network, anyway. Or am I not understanding? ;)

Which carrier are you trying to use the phone with? If it is Telus/Bell/Koodo/Virgin, it should work without changing anything.

The only networks that support GSM are Fido and Rogers.

quaxer

Jul 7, 2014
Which carrier are you trying to use the phone with? If it is Telus/Bell/Koodo/Virgin, it should work without changing anything.

Ok sorry, I think I got confused about the wireless technology. I'm trying to use it on Bell or Telus, but no luck. I guess I should try an AT&T sim in it and see if the phone works at all...

audit13

Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
Ok sorry, I think I got confused about the wireless technology. I'm trying to use it on Bell or Telus, but no luck. I guess I should try an AT&T sim in it and see if the phone works at all...

What stock ROM is on the phone? I had an i747m that was locked to Bell. I used the free method to unlock it, updated to 4.4.2, and it works perfectly on Rogers and Koodo.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

So... This phone has sat around for a few months, and now I want to sell it to a friend of mine on Telus. Anyone know what we need to do to make it work???

Once the phone has been unlocked, it will work on all carriers except Wind and Mobilicity.
    Are you running a custom ROM? Can you change the network settings to wcdma only?

What stock ROM is on the phone? I had an i747m that was locked to Bell. I used the free method to unlock it, updated to 4.4.2, and it works perfectly on Rogers and Koodo.