Newman N1

Search This thread

kkricardokaka95

Oct 11, 2011
Mumbai
Guys, what can you tell me about the Newman N1? I googled it and I found out that Newman is a Chinese company. It has really high specs(higher than my Nexus S :crying: ) . My friend recently bought it, so I thought I'd post here to find out more. I am worried because similar phones with similar specs (Atrix 2 specifically) are almost at double the price. Is the company reliable? Is it worth the money he spent??

Reactions: anooj

wangiles

Feb 17, 2008
I'm getting mine either this week or next. The pre-order is being processed. So, will let you know if it's worth while or worth none. :)

lightingboy

Jan 1, 2008
I got one a couple days ago. I feel impressed at first touch, the quality of assembly is good, it feel firmly.

What I like
1. The design and the dimension is good, not too big thin or thick.
2. The screen solution is good, but the shade of color look bit blue.
3. for gaming, I have tried on Asphalt 6 and Dead trigger, so smooth.
4. Speaker is loud enough to hear and the quality of sound and phone, for me, is acceptable.

What I don't like
1. The screen has white light around the corner of screen, It doesn't make a screen completely black as It should be when compare to LED screen
2. Auto brightness is too sensitive, it adjust the light to quick. when I scroll the screen with forefinger and my middle finger shade on the sensor, less than a sec, it already adjust the light.
3. The seller gave me the wrong spec, this phone does not support WCDMA on 850 but 900 mhz
4. I don't understand while the make the CPU go high at 1001mhz all the time when charging.

Other things look good, I still need more time, but for just less than $200 I thought it is really worth to have one.

kkricardokaka95

Oct 11, 2011
Mumbai
I got one a couple days ago. I feel impressed at first touch, the quality of assembly is good, it feel firmly.

What I like
1. The design and the dimension is good, not too big thin or thick.
2. The screen solution is good, but the shade of color look bit blue.
3. for gaming, I have tried on Asphalt 6 and Dead trigger, so smooth.
4. Speaker is loud enough to hear and the quality of sound and phone, for me, is acceptable.

What I don't like
1. The screen has white light around the corner of screen, It doesn't make a screen completely black as It should be when compare to LED screen
2. Auto brightness is too sensitive, it adjust the light to quick. when I scroll the screen with forefinger and my middle finger shade on the sensor, less than a sec, it already adjust the light.
3. The seller gave me the wrong spec, this phone does not support WCDMA on 850 but 900 mhz
4. I don't understand while the make the CPU go high at 1001mhz all the time when charging.

Other things look good, I still need more time, but for just less than $200 I thought it is really worth to have one.

Thank you :) I used my friends N1 . The screen is not viewable from all angles unless on full brightness. The battery life is sadly very very poor!
How much is the clock? 1Ghz?

lightingboy

Jan 1, 2008
Clock is max at 1 ghz.
I confirm that battery life is very poor, in deep sleep mode it's ok, only about 10% overnight (6-8 hours). but when using, it goes down quickly.

I thought It might be some problem about CPU state, from CPUSPY, it shows that cpu always run in both 250 and 1001 mhz, even just slide the screen or get in setting menu.

I already reported this to manufacturer by email in their website but still no response.

kkricardokaka95

Oct 11, 2011
Mumbai
It is dual core right? Per core 1 Ghz or totally 1ghz?
And it somehow seems to reject standard android chargers and will work only with the one newman provides. That is kind of a bummer. Also, no headphones provided and other headphones produce terrible quality!

wangiles

Feb 17, 2008
I did found out a few things too. Can't give a review yesterday as it was having issues and had to take another day just to confirm it.

P.s. It is scratch resistant. Not scratch proof. Am having a fine line about 1-1.5cm in length.

Sent from my N1 using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added at 02:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 PM ----------

Make that two lines. :banghead:

Last edited:
Reactions: inmorthex

cybertech

Sep 16, 2006
I will probably order this Newman N1. With also HuaWei U8836D in mind just couldn't make a final decision at the moment.
Hope can see more review for this Newman N1.

kkricardokaka95

Oct 11, 2011
Mumbai
I did found out a few things too. Can't give a review yesterday as it was having issues and had to take another day just to confirm it.

P.s. It is scratch resistant. Not scratch proof. Am having a fine line about 1-1.5cm in length.

---------- Post added at 02:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 PM ----------

Make that two lines. :banghead:

The thing is there is no scratch guard available for it anywhere! So there's pretty much no option but to handle it with care!

Man 2 lines in 2 days. It must be very very less resistant

Sent from my Nexus S using xda app-developers app

lightingboy

Jan 1, 2008
Mine came with screen guard in the box. you should check with your seller.

Huawei is better known brand but it will cost you $80 more for the same hardware

more review
with max brightness, it is still not enough for outdoor.

Please remind that this phone support 3G on 900/1900/2100 not 850 mhz.

Last edited:

kkricardokaka95

Oct 11, 2011
Mumbai
Mine came with screen guard in the box. you should check with your seller.

Please remind that this phone support 3G on 900/1900/2100 not 850 mhz.

Huawei is better known brand but it will cost you $80 more on the same hardware

more review
with max brightness, it is still not enough for outdoor.

No worries. 3G damn expensive where I live. I use 2G only!

I agree huawei will cost more, but it is guaranteed to perform right? And the screen issues won't occur!

Also some apps are incompatible with this, although they meet all the requirements.

Would you happen to know how to root N1? :p

wangiles

Feb 17, 2008
Looking a the cpu usage: by default it is at 100% 1ghz speed constantly . If u have setcpu, you will be able to set the governor to different profiles.

I used on demand profile with the battery charged from 100% since I unplugged at 8am in the morning. At 4pm, battery was at 75%. Slight usage of 3g and calls, less than an hour of onscreen viewing. (was having meeting)

On demand option is usage at 100% cpu speed when u use a certain app/apps. Else, it will revert to 250mhz.

Why it makes a lot of difference because before I used setcpu, battery depletion is much faster. With this, I managed to get through the whole day.

Do be mindful that the battery life is only 1700mh.

That's one on cpu..as I'm typing from the phone itself, from 5 to 5.24pm, it has dropped only to 60%.

Reactions: kkricardokaka95

fcsabika

Nov 12, 2010
Cegléd
xdaforums.com
Hi.
I have also ordered the Newman N1 and it will be shipped out next week.

I came with some help for those are having issues with the phone.
You probably didn't know that Newman has an official forum, right?
Here's the forum: http://bbs.newman.mobi/forum.php
Please register to the forum (use google translate plug-in if you don't understand Chinese (me neither)).
Newman has official updates to this phone, the newest is 1.0.6, so please check in your settings which version you have, and update to the newest to see if it resolve problems.
This is the section of the forum, where the official ROMs goes: http://bbs.newman.mobi/forum-115-1.html
First there are sticky threads in every section, do not pay attention to it, because the roms are under it (the last threads, under that line).
The roms download sites are also in chinese and some require registration, some not, and you may need to reply to some threads to see hidden content, but it is written if it requires it.
There are a lot of custom roms here: http://bbs.newman.mobi/forum-95-1.html
In this section there's not only custom roms, but also a lot of another topics too, so it is not easy to find the roms, but usually the ones with colorized thread name are the roms to pay attention.
Also there are a lot of reviews (also in chinese) of the phone here: http://bbs.newman.mobi/forum-93-1.html

Somewhere in the forum are also instructions on how to update the roms etc.
If you update to the latest official/custom rom then I think that some problems may resolved.
So it is good to know that there are a forum.

But it would be good if more people would know this phone, so they would be amazed that it has dual core, qhd, 8 mp, ics etc and it only costs $200 with shipping! (I purchased it for $173.5 with free shipping, gift leather case and gift 4gb micro sd card)
Then this topic would be popular and we may get a seperate thread for the phone here on xda, so that we would get good custom roms for it!
So go and popularize this great phone!

Edit: this phone have gorilla glass!
There are 3 different videos on the internet proofing that it is gorilla glass (in one of the videos the man drops it from about 2.5 meters to the floor and it don't have any scratches!
If you are interested, I can link the videos.

Last edited:
Reactions: kkricardokaka95

wangiles

Feb 17, 2008
Wow! Like marketing the item. Haha. Joking ya. :D

Anyway, just finished taking pics of the phone. Will update again

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Newman N1 JB 4.1.1 ROM

Hi everyone,

I'm working on official JB for Newman N1.

This is what I made until now:
    • Added latest version of Google apps
    • Added Reboot and Reboot to Recovery options to power menu
    • Added battery percentage (in steps of 1%)
    • Added init.d support with build.prop switch (sys.initd=on)
    • Updated Timezone data
    • Root & Busybox
    • Green Led only when battery is at 100%
    • CID fix (caller ID bug) - Thanks to bgcngm
    • Fixed Settings>Date and Time crash

Working on:
    • Led not working for notifications
    • Compass orientation is upside down

Newman N1 JB 4.1.1
    My new thread for download Newman N1 ROMs.
    The green light is steady to notify and the gps works like a charm!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Don't forget to hit the "Thanks" button. ;)
    This is ported from ZTE V970 http://pan.baidu.com/share/link?shareid=295370&uk=640953152
    and nicer is from Amoi http://pan.baidu.com/share/link?shareid=295310&uk=640953152

Both are multilanguage and in both camera doesn't work
    Kernel is 3.4.0 and off course, we can still back to ICS :)
    Newman N1 kernel source

:victory:Good news:victory:

I successfully compiled a kernel (JB 3.4.0) for Newman N1.
    The only problem I found until now is that Cam app don't start but in Mobileuncle Tools the Cam works fine.
    Now I will try fix the Cam app problem and compass problem. :fingers-crossed:

P.S. If anyone want help please PM me.

Unfortunately I made a mistake ... I flash the stock kernel instead of my compiled kernel. :angel:SORRY:angel:

I can compile a 3.4.0 kernel and boot with it but the touchpanel works bad and I can't get the touch keys to work.
    The problem is the touchpanel driver (GT818B).
    I've tested several variants of the driver but none work right.

Any help with this?
    Did that and now I have: 1.97 GB of internal memory+14.91GB of phone storage+566MBof sd car . I just cant find a solution for 2,5GB of internal

Here you go, also from our russian friends:

Bigger internal storage by eliminating internal SD storage.

1. Download NewmanN1_intSD_2_Data.zip en N1dc_No_SD_Patch.zip en put these on your SDcard
    2. Open CWM recovery, create a CWM backup of your system.
    3. Install patch NewmanN1_intSD_2_Data.zip.
    4. Reboot CWM (Reboot Recovery)
    5. In CWM go to "mounts and storage" format /cache, / data, / system
    6. Restore your back-up.
    7. Install patch N1dc_No_SD_Patch.zip.
    8. Reboot Phone.