TMO Kit Kat Update Q&A Thread

Search This thread

dragonstalker

Jan 1, 2008
Fort Myers, Fla
In an attempt keep thread questions down to a minimum and let it be used for development specific questions. I ask that you post general update questions here. I will keep this updated as best I can.

1. Q: How do I update to official T-Mobile release?
A: You can go back to stock and accept the OTA. Or you can download the Update.zip HERE . There are other links from Tesh and Allenjthomsen on their individual threads. (thanks Allen for the update.zip and Dirtybudha for the ftp server)

2. Q: Should I flash the update so I can have the new bootloader?
A: At this time we are waiting for the release of more custom kernels and there are 2 recoveries that will work with the new bootloader

3. Q: Can I go back to 4.3 once I flash?
A: If you flash the new bootloader, you will not be able to odin back to use 4.3 roms. But you can custom flash 4.3 with new Mi7 bootloader and kernels made for that purpose.

4. Q: If I update my N3 will I still have root?
A: At this time, you can gain root using CF-Auto root, but you will lose custom recovery

5. Q: Will flashing the update trip Knox if I originally rooted using De-La Vega?
A: No, flashing the update will simply update your phone to 4.4.2. But trying to flash a custom recovery will trip Knox to 0x1. kingoapp.com does not work as per a user that tried it

6. Q: Can I load TMO Kit Kat without updating bootloader?
A: Yes. You can flash any rom.zip from the dev thread using custom 4.3 Kit Kat Kernels that allow 4.4.2 to run off the 4.3 bootloader.

7. Q: Are there any TMO Kit Kat kernels already in circulation?
A: . Yes. Check the Original Android Development thread.

8. Q: I tried flashing the new posted Odexed and Deodexed roms but get stuck at boot. What's wrong?
A: The new boot.img (Kernel) included in these roms are based off the Kit Kat kernel release. They will not work on the 4.3(Jellybean MI7) bootloader unless you usea custom kernel

9. Q: After I update to official release, how do I get root back?
A: You will need to ODIN CF-Autoroot once you have updated. WARNING: YOU WILL TRIP KNOX USING CF-AUTOROOT

10. Q: Has anyone found a custom recovery that works with the NB4 Bootloader?
A: Yes, it has been noted that Philz recovery and the N9005 TWRP is being tested as per BigBiff's recommendation and is noted as working.

11. Q: Can I flash just the bootloader and the modem?
A: Yes, but you will have compatibilty issues unless you flash one of the two Kit Kat compatible recoveries.

12. Q: I Odined the NB4 file and my phone just sits at black screen with blue recovery on it. Did I do something wrong?
A: NO, there seems to be a glitch in the Odin process. Reboot your phone into download mode and re-Odin the file and it will complete successfully.

13 Q: I have read that there is a way to root Kit Kat without tripping Knox. Is this true?
A: Yes, there is a process that can be used but is not recommended as you can brick your phone and my not be able to recover from the brick.

Last edited:

dragonstalker

Jan 1, 2008
Fort Myers, Fla
Kit Kat Kernels :
Wootevers Kernel (TMO Original Android Development thread)
Civato's Kernel (N9005 Original Android Development Thread)
ColonelX R13 (CURRENTLY BEING BUILT AND TESTED)

Last edited:
Reactions: EasyE75 and AxAtAx

dragonstalker

Jan 1, 2008
Fort Myers, Fla
If you use the official update, you will get the extSDCard read/write errors back, as they are part of Kit Kat .

to fix, once rooted on the official rom, Open the platform.xml file just like in the custom Kit Kat roms and make it look like this

Code:
<permission name="android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE">
        <group gid="sdcard_r"/>
        <group gid="sdcard_rw"/>
        <group gid="media_rw"/>
    </permission>

That "SHOULD" fix the read/write problems. Kit Kat is made to only read and write to the internal storage to keep Android running smoothly as people sometimes by cheap laggy sdcards.

rjohnstone

If anybody see's a Frequently asked question i'm missing. please let me know. Trying to keep up with all 4 threads.

Thanks
I think the big one is people looking for clarification on whether the bootloader is locked or not.
I see a lot of conflicting posts. Mainly from those who don't understand kernel dependencies as they pertain to the boot process.

dragonstalker

Jan 1, 2008
Fort Myers, Fla
I think the big one is people looking for clarification on whether the bootloader is locked or not.
I see a lot of conflicting posts. Mainly from those who don't understand kernel dependencies as they pertain to the boot process.

That we cannot confirm until Biff gets home and has had a chance to compile a kernel specifically for this bootloader.

jimmydigital00

Aug 30, 2010
Has anyone tried the TWP recovery for the international device? I did the over the air update and am rooted but would like to get the recovery installed. Any ideas?

rockinandroid

Apr 22, 2012
tried downloading but asking for username and password...what am i doing wroing...any help is appreciated...thanks,

blacklabel2020

Sep 4, 2009
Chandler
so dragon i will be able to flash my phone with tar file from SamMobile flashing the phone stock and with 4.4.2 bootloader then being able to root the phone and being able to flash Philz CWM to get custom recovery?

_INSPIREed

Although I've seen some ask this question, I would like some clarification as there is still some conflicting info being spread throughout 4 or 5 threads

From what I gather:

The new 4.4 bootloader now has custom recovery through use of either the TWRP biff posted or the new PhilZ. Both confirmed working.

My question is, does this affect us now being able to custom flash 4.3 roms without having to Odin back to 4.3 just to flash 4.3 roms...if that even is something that is 100% true that we can do since some people say yes we can odin back to 4.3 and some say no.

And with the new bootloader, we should theoretically be able to flash all of the custom 4.4 N9005 ROMs just fine?

dragonstalker

Jan 1, 2008
Fort Myers, Fla
Although I've seen some ask this question, I would like some clarification as there is still some conflicting info being spread throughout 4 or 5 threads

From what I gather:

The new 4.4 bootloader now has custom recovery through use of either the TWRP biff posted or the new PhilZ. Both confirmed working.

My question is, does this affect us now being able to custom flash 4.3 roms without having to Odin back to 4.3 just to flash 4.3 roms...if that even is something that is 100% true that we can do since some people say yes we can odin back to 4.3 and some say no.

And with the new bootloader, we should theoretically be able to flash all of the custom 4.4 N9005 ROMs just fine?

Sorry. No, you cannot flash 4.3 roms via custom recovery once you use the new bootloader. But, yes technically you should be able flash Int. Roms now.

chuko303

Dec 24, 2011
colorado
A lot of people are desperate. Chill, wait 2, 3 days everything should be gooood it's only been a day :eek:

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    In an attempt keep thread questions down to a minimum and let it be used for development specific questions. I ask that you post general update questions here. I will keep this updated as best I can.

1. Q: How do I update to official T-Mobile release?
    A: You can go back to stock and accept the OTA. Or you can download the Update.zip HERE . There are other links from Tesh and Allenjthomsen on their individual threads. (thanks Allen for the update.zip and Dirtybudha for the ftp server)

2. Q: Should I flash the update so I can have the new bootloader?
    A: At this time we are waiting for the release of more custom kernels and there are 2 recoveries that will work with the new bootloader

3. Q: Can I go back to 4.3 once I flash?
    A: If you flash the new bootloader, you will not be able to odin back to use 4.3 roms. But you can custom flash 4.3 with new Mi7 bootloader and kernels made for that purpose.

4. Q: If I update my N3 will I still have root?
    A: At this time, you can gain root using CF-Auto root, but you will lose custom recovery

5. Q: Will flashing the update trip Knox if I originally rooted using De-La Vega?
    A: No, flashing the update will simply update your phone to 4.4.2. But trying to flash a custom recovery will trip Knox to 0x1. kingoapp.com does not work as per a user that tried it

6. Q: Can I load TMO Kit Kat without updating bootloader?
    A: Yes. You can flash any rom.zip from the dev thread using custom 4.3 Kit Kat Kernels that allow 4.4.2 to run off the 4.3 bootloader.

7. Q: Are there any TMO Kit Kat kernels already in circulation?
    A: . Yes. Check the Original Android Development thread.

8. Q: I tried flashing the new posted Odexed and Deodexed roms but get stuck at boot. What's wrong?
    A: The new boot.img (Kernel) included in these roms are based off the Kit Kat kernel release. They will not work on the 4.3(Jellybean MI7) bootloader unless you usea custom kernel

9. Q: After I update to official release, how do I get root back?
    A: You will need to ODIN CF-Autoroot once you have updated. WARNING: YOU WILL TRIP KNOX USING CF-AUTOROOT

10. Q: Has anyone found a custom recovery that works with the NB4 Bootloader?
    A: Yes, it has been noted that Philz recovery and the N9005 TWRP is being tested as per BigBiff's recommendation and is noted as working.

11. Q: Can I flash just the bootloader and the modem?
    A: Yes, but you will have compatibilty issues unless you flash one of the two Kit Kat compatible recoveries.

12. Q: I Odined the NB4 file and my phone just sits at black screen with blue recovery on it. Did I do something wrong?
    A: NO, there seems to be a glitch in the Odin process. Reboot your phone into download mode and re-Odin the file and it will complete successfully.

13 Q: I have read that there is a way to root Kit Kat without tripping Knox. Is this true?
    A: Yes, there is a process that can be used but is not recommended as you can brick your phone and my not be able to recover from the brick.
    If you use the official update, you will get the extSDCard read/write errors back, as they are part of Kit Kat .

to fix, once rooted on the official rom, Open the platform.xml file just like in the custom Kit Kat roms and make it look like this

Code:
    <permission name="android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE">
            <group gid="sdcard_r"/>
            <group gid="sdcard_rw"/>
            <group gid="media_rw"/>
        </permission>

That "SHOULD" fix the read/write problems. Kit Kat is made to only read and write to the internal storage to keep Android running smoothly as people sometimes by cheap laggy sdcards.
    Kit Kat Kernels :
    Wootevers Kernel (TMO Original Android Development thread)
    Civato's Kernel (N9005 Original Android Development Thread)
    ColonelX R13 (CURRENTLY BEING BUILT AND TESTED)
    If anybody see's a Frequently asked question i'm missing. please let me know. Trying to keep up with all 4 threads.

Thanks

Thanks