[Q] XBMC and Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround

Search This thread

slevy951

Mar 24, 2009
Apologies if this is in the wrong place...

Got the Firetv a week ago and have been playing around with it. Wanted it basically to play my movie collection from my PC over the network. I'm doing it with an xbox 360 right now but as you know the interface is....basic.

So FireTV is connected to my Pioneer vsk1120 via HDMI. I rented Walter Mitty from Amazon and it played fine and receiver indicated Dolby Digital Plus on the display the sound was good.

I loaded up XBMC. Pointed it to my PC and movies. XBMC is cool as it tell me the codec and audio it is. So I start Oblivion, receiver says Stereo. If I play it back via xbox, receiver will say Dolby Digital.

So Firetv only output digital on amazon content or any idea whats going on here?

TIA,
Scott

atoy74

Oct 22, 2007

Got the Firetv a week ago and have been playing around with it. Wanted it basically to play my movie collection from my PC over the network. I'm doing it with an xbox 360 right now but as you know the interface is....basic.

So FireTV is connected to my Pioneer vsk1120 via HDMI. I rented Walter Mitty from Amazon and it played fine and receiver indicated Dolby Digital Plus on the display the sound was good.

I loaded up XBMC. Pointed it to my PC and movies. XBMC is cool as it tell me the codec and audio it is. So I start Oblivion, receiver says Stereo. If I play it back via xbox, receiver will say Dolby Digital.

So Firetv only output digital on amazon content or any idea whats going on here?

TIA,
Scott

I would love to hear feedback on this. I originally returned my Fire TV due to plex being unable to play dolby digital audio. Now I'm sitting in front of my new Fire TV just delivered hoping XBMC solves the issue.

darkjedi

Jun 7, 2005
Denver

TIA,
Scott
Make sure you enable the option for "Supports Dolby Digital" and "Supports DTS" in the settings. I can get DD and DTS working just fine.

slevy951

Mar 24, 2009
Make sure you enable the option for "Supports Dolby Digital" and "Supports DTS" in the settings. I can get DD and DTS working just fine.

Where in settings? I can go to system/system settings/audio output...but those options arent' there. And I do have the Firetv set to Dolby Digital Plus over HDMI.

slevy951

Mar 24, 2009
Version issue??

I orig loaded the 'amazon firetv' optimized version. I uninstalled that and go the latest nightly and it has the enable dd and dts options. That did the trick. Xbox's days may be numbered.

atoy74

Oct 22, 2007
I'm not at home now, but I believe it's under Settings, Video and you should see the option for Passthrough.

Bingo. I didn't get a chance to update last night but I unboxed and installed XBMC. Initially 5.1 did not work. I found the passthrough setting and everything worked fine.

floepie

Feb 28, 2006
Amsterdam
Wait, so which version of XBMC has the passthrough setting to enable DD and DTS to the receiver without first decoding?