Nook Tablet "One Click Root" - MERGED WITH INDIRECT'S ROOT - THREAD CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread
Jun 16, 2010
Outside the box opinion:
Anlog and Indirect, you guys are both awesome/genius and any halfwit (me) can see that you guys are the two major contributors to the progress that's been made on the NT thus far.

I am a noob (look at my join date/number of posts)... I have a Nexus One... thats my android experience... I havn't even rooted it. That being said I am also a network engineer... and while cisco ios is pretty close to unix, its not. I will get a NT if it can be rooted and unlocked and I do whatever I want to it really. So I've been watching this pretty closely. Anlog your idea of getting a 1 click root is RIGHT ON THE MONEY... great idea, people will definitely need this and this is a good next step. Indirect, you have certainly done quite a bit and deserve credit for your work, I as well as many thank you, but the beauty of Linus/Android is the open source mentality and if you are going to develop for it, you have to be willing to accept people will use your work. Anlog did credit you and whether or not he asked your permission is irrelevant. That being said, I do think the two threads would be better served if they were merged and if Anlog could send his post to Indirect to be appended to his original post.

anlog

May 9, 2006
Sorry for getting annoyed and worked up but I already had to play "Dueling Batch Scripts" in the evo shift section when mine was CLEARLY superior to the other ones by far because I was still developing it. :| So again, my apologies for losing my head but don't wait too long for my REAL script to be thrown together sometime tonight and blow yours out of the water. :)

I can't wait, and I will GLADLY dump mine when yours hits!

Reactions: DagobahSamurai

anlog

May 9, 2006
That being said, I do think the two threads would be better served if they were merged and if Anlog could send his post to Indirect to be appended to his original post.

I agree. Indirect, let me know when you're done with your script and I'll close this thread. We need to merge the two.

anlog

May 9, 2006
anlog, would you mind if I made it have the option to install gApps as well?

Yes, PLEASE use my script and make it better. If we can do everything in one shot I think the NT will sell like hotcakes.

To be honest, I'm not even worried if we never unlock the bootloader. Rooted stock with custom launcher is still lightyears beyond a NC with CM7 (even overclocked). It's cool having the B&N stuff and the ability to get apps from the Android Market (Amazon app store kinda sucks).

Reactions: DarkDvr

DarkDvr

May 30, 2007
Guys! GUYS!
You're loosing sight of the goal here. XDA is about everyone getting together and helping each other out whatever way we can.
I respect both of you, and Indirect is my hero (send me your poster), but I think building on someone's effort and improving is the core of XDA. Indirect didnt invent rooting either, mind you.
If no credit would be given - that'd be an outrage. But when credit is fully awknoledged, preventing people from using your discovery to make something even better... well, I'm sorry, but that's called an ego trip.
Props to both of you, and please focus on helping each other, not petty squabbles as to "who peed in my potty".

Last edited:
Reactions: JoeM01

thatdude90210

Jul 2, 2011
Ok, I just ran the script, I had done Indirect's root before, but didn't do google app. So I factory reset the device, and ran the script. Now how do I check if everything worked?

Btw, I just got the NT today because of great work on the root last night, so I haven't have time to get to know the thing yet.

Last edited:

JoeM01

Nov 18, 2011
ok, anlog's script works for me. i'm rooted and the market works. you guys can hash it out however you want. as far as i'm concerned, you both helped me acheive what i wanted for my nook tablet until later days of new roms. thank you both.

dodgepot

Jan 4, 2011
Las Vegas
Thanks for everything guys! Can't wait to get my NT.

PS - I've been on forums where devs fight constantly and it's no fun. For what it's worth, the mytouch 4g community is fantastic where on the flip side I spent about 2 months on another section and traded phones just because of the lack of "community" feeling. Let's try to respect each other and the work we (you) do.

Now let's all hug...

Sent from my HTC Glacier using xda premium

anlog

May 9, 2006
Indirect has incorporated the gapps install into his script, so can a mod please close this thread?

DangKid

Jun 22, 2011
Alright I finished it, does a device check, asks the user some questions, then proceeds as normal. :)

This is awesome. Great work to you sir! You might have been the sole reason I'm getting the Nook Tablet. I was definitely sad when I saw the KF getting all of the developer support, but your work will bring more people to this scene. If the NT was never going to be rooted, then I would have just waited until the next iteration of devices, because I don't want a KF even if it gets all of the support. Kudos to you guys.

anlog

May 9, 2006
This is awesome. Great work to you sir! You might have been the sole reason I'm getting the Nook Tablet. I was definitely sad when I saw the KF getting all of the developer support, but your work will bring more people to this scene. If the NT was never going to be rooted, then I would have just waited until the next iteration of devices, because I don't want a KF even if it gets all of the support. Kudos to you guys.

Nook Tablet is superior to the Kindle Fire in just about every way. I think it's decent that we got root 1-2 days after it was released. I'm sure we'll have an unlocked bootloader eventually and this puppy will be running ICS.

For $250, it's way too good to pass up!

anlog

May 9, 2006
Anlog, mind running my latest script and letting me know if it goes without a hitch? I'll understand if you say no though.

I don't know if it will work, since I am already rooted. Even doing a factory reset keeps root and gapps, you know?

Anyone out there with an unrooted NT that can test?

Reactions: Drewmungus

dang69

Jan 16, 2007
I don't see a script with Gapps in the original thread. Is there a new thread Indirect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    MOD EDIT : As requested by OP, I'm closing this thread.
    Everyone can continue the rooting related discussions on the other thread linked here. Full root for Nook Tablet. [11/20/11] [Yes this is a permanent root!].

All,

Here is a "one click" script to root your Nook Tablet AND install gapps (Market) all in one shot. It also includes the latest superuser binary and apk (automatically installed). MAD PROPS to Indirect for being the first to get root on the NT. This script builds off of his (and others) work to make it a bit easier.

I need people to test this. That being said, RUN THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK. It may work perfectly, or it may explode your Nook. You've been warned!

1. Download and extract the zip file located at https://rapidshare.com/files/3156164791/NT-One-Click-Root-by-anlog.zip (PLEASE MIRROR THE FILE FOR ME SO YOU DON'T KILL MY DROPBOX ACCOUNT).

2. Factory reset your Nook Tablet (just do it).

3. Run Windows 7 (32-bit or 64-bit). Sorry Mac and Linux, but that's not my arena.

4. Enable USB debugging and sideloading on your Nook (download an APK and try to install it with package manager. Hit settings and set the options). YOU MUST uncheck "auto mount USB" or debugging won't activate. There are also two checkboxes for debugging and staying awake - make sure both are set. DO NOT REBOOT your Nook once you enable these settings.

5. Plug in your Nook and point Windows to search for the drivers in the usb_drivers directory from the etracted file. The driver has been modified to work with the Nook Tablet and you don't need to mess with any adb.ini stuff. It's ready to go.

6. Once the driver loads, make sure you have a device called "ADB Composite Device" (or something similar) in Device Manager. As long as you don't have an item called "Nook Tablet" with an exclamation point, you're good. Once you are plugged in, check the status bar on your Nook and make sure USB debugging is enabled (there will be a little robot indicator).

7. This step is optional, since it is run at the beginning of the script, but you can open a command prompt AS ADMINISTRATOR and go to the folder where you extracted your files and run "adb devices". It should list your Nook serial number. If it doesn't, start over.

8. Run a command prompt as Administrator and then run the NookTabRoot.bat file to root your tablet and install gapps. Your tablet will automatically restart once the script finishes.

This script is ALPHA and probably won't work, but that's why I need people to test. If anyone finds a way to make it better, please feel free to modify it (as long as you credit me and Indirect).

Good luck!

MIRROR 1 - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7364988/NT-One-Click-Root-by-anlog.zip
    This is not a glory or recognition thing. This is something that I think will greatly help the community of average users with little to no experience with things like ADB or Unix commands.

Many every day users are discovering XDA and it can be very difficult for them to navigate through the forums and find what they are looking for. My goal is to make it really easy.

The script will not blow up your Nook. The worst thing that can happen is that it just doesn't work.

Not sure what else to say, but this "only one user is allowed to help people root" nonsense doesn't work for me, nor the rest of the community. Sorry Indirect. If it helps, I've credited you at the beginning of my script.
    Sorry for getting annoyed and worked up but I already had to play "Dueling Batch Scripts" in the evo shift section when mine was CLEARLY superior to the other ones by far because I was still developing it. :| So again, my apologies for losing my head but don't wait too long for my REAL script to be thrown together sometime tonight and blow yours out of the water. :)

I can't wait, and I will GLADLY dump mine when yours hits!

Yes, PLEASE use my script and make it better. If we can do everything in one shot I think the NT will sell like hotcakes.

To be honest, I'm not even worried if we never unlock the bootloader. Rooted stock with custom launcher is still lightyears beyond a NC with CM7 (even overclocked). It's cool having the B&N stuff and the ability to get apps from the Android Market (Amazon app store kinda sucks).