Unlimited tethering on s4 using slimbean

Search This thread

F9zSlavik

Jan 5, 2012
San Diego
I have 3 lines, all with unlimited Internet but tmobil only allows 2.5gb of tethering. Currently using slimbean stable on my s4, how do I get unlimited tethering? I've tried Wify Tether app but it doesn't work.
I went into the apn settings and I see several options.

Any advice would be appreciative. Spent an hour trying to figure this out :/

TigerDNA

Nov 7, 2012
I have 3 lines, all with unlimited Internet but tmobil only allows 2.5gb of tethering. Currently using slimbean stable on my s4, how do I get unlimited tethering? I've tried Wify Tether app but it doesn't work.

Have they actually capped you? I used over 30gb last month... with native tether.... Otherwise use the search function and report back.... I'd like to know the answer also but too lazy to look

mrzhadow

Mar 18, 2010
Marysville WA
I don't think any AOSP Roms have the data cap hack. Most of the TW Roms have the hack baked into the system. You may wanna try TW before going over your data limit. I have unlimited and use tethering all the time also I use the Wi-Fi tether app instead of the native hot spot.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using xda app-developers app

elesbb

Jun 20, 2010
I don't think any AOSP Roms have the data cap hack. Most of the TW Roms have the hack baked into the system. You may wanna try TW before going over your data limit. I have unlimited and use tethering all the time also I use the Wi-Fi tether app instead of the native hot spot.

There is no such thing as a "data cap hack" there was one years ago, but it doesn't work anymore. All data traffic is now monitored via T-Mobile servers.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ratleme

F9zSlavik

Jan 5, 2012
San Diego
Agreed! What I meant by that is unrestricted native tethering.

So I am stuck @ 2.5gb? I called TMobil to increase my tethering, they said NO.
I see people all over the forums saying they have unlimited tethering by hiding their data usage and they always emphasize not to abuse it. I am giving tmobil a good large sum of money, 200 bucks.

So nobody knows of a unlimited tethering method?

Been looking around, according to some, Cyanogen should already come with the necessary coding to allow unlimited tethering but than again I am using SlimBean which I do not know if that has anything to do with it.

elesbb

Jun 20, 2010
So I am stuck @ 2.5gb? I called TMobil to increase my tethering, they said NO.
I see people all over the forums saying they have unlimited tethering by hiding their data usage and they always emphasize not to abuse it. I am giving tmobil a good large sum of money, 200 bucks.

So nobody knows of a unlimited tethering method?

Been looking around, according to some, Cyanogen should already come with the necessary coding to allow unlimited tethering but than again I am using SlimBean which I do not know if that has anything to do with it.

Again, unlimited tethering is impossible through "coding." It is handled by T-Mobile servers. A little Googling would tell you what you have to do :) however, I always thought if you paid 15 bucks extra each month they would include unlimited tethering?

F9zSlavik

Jan 5, 2012
San Diego
Again, unlimited tethering is impossible through "coding." It is handled by T-Mobile servers. A little Googling would tell you what you have to do :) however, I always thought if you paid 15 bucks extra each month they would include unlimited tethering?

Yeah I have been google and xda searching, I'm obviously not looking correctly or do not know what exactly to look for. Been trying to use the app Wifi Tether for Root Users but it does not show my device, only the atnt model, it's useless so far unless if myabe I go to an older version maybe?
I dont mind paying 15 bucks but they said they do NOT offer unlimited tethering only web access.
Is something keeping you from posting the information I am looking for or your trying to see if I can figure it out on my own by somewhat directing to a place I have already tried looking for but failed because I am a noob lol

Tried this video but no go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blBh7NpNFEw

elesbb

Jun 20, 2010
Yeah I have been google and xda searching, I'm obviously not looking correctly or do not know what exactly to look for. Been trying to use the app Wifi Tether for Root Users but it does not show my device, only the atnt model, it's useless so far unless if myabe I go to an older version maybe?
I dont mind paying 15 bucks but they said they do NOT offer unlimited tethering only web access.
Is something keeping you from posting the information I am looking for or your trying to see if I can figure it out on my own by somewhat directing to a place I have already tried looking for but failed because I am a noob lol

Tried this video but no go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blBh7NpNFEw

Lol, im trying to teach you the wonderous magic of searching :) It seriously helps A LOT. I hardly post any threads asking for this that and the other thing because i always find it by searching. Its how i found the answer to your question :) However, unlike other XDA members, i don't mind a little coaching to help you get your answer, some guys are just like. "God learn to use search. Pointless thread. effing noob" lol.

But you were on the right track when you said "hiding their data usage." thats exactly what you need to do. And to add to your search terms, encrypt your data will hide the usage :) Go my young grasshoper, search and yee shall find :)

no1udknow

Feb 4, 2014
Lol, im trying to teach you the wonderous magic of searching :) It seriously helps A LOT. I hardly post any threads asking for this that and the other thing because i always find it by searching. Its how i found the answer to your question :) However, unlike other XDA members, i don't mind a little coaching to help you get your answer, some guys are just like. "God learn to use search. Pointless thread. effing noob" lol.

But you were on the right track when you said "hiding their data usage." thats exactly what you need to do. And to add to your search terms, encrypt your data will hide the usage :) Go my young grasshoper, search and yee shall find :)

OK, I am an admitted noob to this site, just joined today in fact, but that is only because I have been trolling these forums looking for a clear answer to this issue for weeks now. I also have TM and am capped. I use my mobile hot spot to do my homework for the online school I attend. and recently switched from the big V to TM because of the cost, and now I'm screwed. I have searched so many forums and term strings it is not funny. I have tried vpn, hotspot shield, private internet access, and a host of wifi tether apps, and have not found a working combo. I have even tried modifying strings using SQLite. Most app combinations will not activate hotspot, and those that do cause laptop browser to redirect to t-mobile sale page. I will beat them... I will. But I joined xda for a little help, if you anyone does not wish to give the easy answer, I absolutely understand, just please direct me to the forum that has solved this as I am not "yet" a dev, but I'm getting there.

my config:
Model: SGH-M919
Android Version: 4.2.2
Baseband: M919uvuamdl
Kernal: 3.4.0-453951
se.infra@SEP-133#1
Build: JDQ39.M919UVUAMDL
SELinux Status: Permissive
Rooted using ODIN because at the time I had read Odin was the only way.
Stock ROM

melqui2004

Oct 29, 2013

Using native tethering you get to share as much as you want what T-Mobile gets is that you used internet in your phone when in reality you were tethering I got like 60 GB each month most is by tethering

Sent from my SGH-M919 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

melqui2004

Oct 29, 2013
Using native tethering you get to share as much as you want what T-Mobile gets is that you used internet in your phone when in reality you were tethering I got like 60 GB each month most is by tethering

Just do as the screen looks

Attachments

• 1391579273371.jpg
    1391579273371.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 256
Reactions: Bubbled

tigerxchaos

Aug 15, 2011
Chicago, IL
I've found that when I search and search and can't find something, it's because it was so fundamental a feature that it is automatically assumed people know how to use it.

What evidence do you have that T-Mobile is blocking your tethering after 2.5gb? Others have asked but it doesn't seem like that question has been answered. I have CM11 and have tethered like a fiend using the ROM's built-in hotspot feature, which the stock T-Mobile Account app doesn't even pick up on. Additionally I've been told that after 2.5gb, they don't block you, just throttle your speed down.

omnifarious

Jul 6, 2010
Jacksonville
I use User Agent Switcher addon for firefox and choose Googlebot under Search Robots. I never get throttled using this method, although some site are wonky like netflix.

no1udknow

Feb 4, 2014
Well, apparently I did not try enough software combinations. I have finally got it working using Hotspot Shield free, paired with WiFi Tether Router. My GS4 is only about 3 weeks old, so this is likely the newest solution.

F9zSlavik

Jan 5, 2012
San Diego

Looks like all I need to do is installed an agent switches extension on either chrome or firefox. That correct?

R.Suave

Apr 18, 2013
Texas
Looks like all I need to do is installed an agent switches extension on either chrome or firefox. That correct?

Yeah Im still confused as well and I have also done a lot of research on the topic over the past few months.

Running AOSP, can we just use the native tethering (works great for me but then again i believe im still within the 2.5 gb of allotted tethering) or do we need to use the user agent switcher method?

elesbb

Jun 20, 2010
Well since you guys are on the right track :)

You have a couple options:
1. (Prolly the best) Purchase or use a free VPN client ON YOUR DEVICE to encrypt ALL your data, now T-Mobile can't detect what the data is, its just data.
2. Use a User Agent switcher to change your user agent so it looks like the data is coming from a mobile device instead of a computer.

Reactions: R.Suave

GSXR6

Oct 6, 2013
I wanna tether to my Ps3, I would like to know if it is possible to hide tethering as well. Tmobile is capped at 2.5, I found a way to do it on my Note 3, but my Ps3 wont connect that way, it only sees my S4, but like I said, its reached its cap limit.

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

mrzhadow

Mar 18, 2010
Marysville WA
I wanna tether to my Ps3, I would like to know if it is possible to hide tethering as well. Tmobile is capped at 2.5, I found a way to do it on my Note 3, but my Ps3 wont connect that way, it only sees my S4, but like I said, its reached its cap limit.

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

I've always used wifi tether from here http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/downloads/list you just have to chose the right settings and it works perfectly. I use it on my 360 all the time.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

There is no such thing as a "data cap hack" there was one years ago, but it doesn't work anymore. All data traffic is now monitored via T-Mobile servers.

Just do as the screen looks

Well since you guys are on the right track :)

You have a couple options:
    1. (Prolly the best) Purchase or use a free VPN client ON YOUR DEVICE to encrypt ALL your data, now T-Mobile can't detect what the data is, its just data.
    2. Use a User Agent switcher to change your user agent so it looks like the data is coming from a mobile device instead of a computer.