[Q] No Fido APN or LTE on UXUMA7 (radio) running CM-11-20140815-UNOFFICIAL

Search This thread

wonderbars

Aug 18, 2014
Hi everyone. My writing ability is that of a 12 year old but please hang on.
This thread is a complete clone as the one I wrote on the CM forums
Been mainly lurking here and CM forums for a while so this would be my first post. I'm pretty sure this might be an isolated radio issue though I can't be sure as I'm about to explain why.

*SKIP TO BOTTOM FOR NUTSHELL NOTES*

I had an i727R from Fido running the stock Rogers UXUMA7 4.1.2.

All I did with it was root it and decided only to lurk and read through all threads detailing modified fw and safe methods of flashing.
Basically depended on phone for everything work and *****-wise so I didn't bother to do anything until I got a new phone.

Well, I ended up dropping it, display broke completely.
Lazy and retarded me, didn't make any backups within the past 6 months so in panic mode decided to spend 150 bucks and buy another i727.

What I unknowingly got was an AT&T branded i727 (looked brand new except i'm sure it was refurb, display glue imperfections) with original Gingerbread ROM and radio (UCLA3). Regardless I had to unlock it so I followed the free unlock thread from here, flashed stock UCLD2 ROM and Radio. Worked Fine, saw Fido as provider with full bars. Didn't bother to check if LTE was ranged.
(FYI, did clean wipes b4 every flash)

Stoked that the unlock went without a hitch, flashed the full stock Rogers I727RUXUMA7 (SGH-I727R_RWC_I727RUXUMA7_I727ROYAMA7_I727RUXUMA7.zip) through Odin.

<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> KIES_HOME_I727RUXUMA7_I727ROYAMA7_885181_REV02_user_low_ship.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/006> Odin v.3 engine (ID:6)..
<ID:0/006> File analysis..
<ID:0/006> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/006> Initialzation..
<ID:0/006> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/006> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/006> amss.bin
<ID:0/006> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/006> boot.img
<ID:0/006> cache.img.ext4
<ID:0/006> mdm.bin
<ID:0/006> recovery.img
<ID:0/006> system.img.ext4
<ID:0/006> tomb.img.ext4
<ID:0/006> RQT_CLOSE !!
<ID:0/006> RES OK !!
<ID:0/006> Removed!!
<ID:0/006> Remain Port .... 0
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 1 / failed 0)
<ID:0/005> Added!!
<ID:0/005> Removed!!

Weirdly enough during the flashing procedure I remember seeing MDM bins being flashed but the radio from the unlock stuck (checked in 'About phone'), still UCLA3 and I wasn't able to get reception for some reason (maybe it was trying to range to an LTE band/non-JB radio). So I flashed mohan's UXUMA7 through Philz recovery and it seemed to work as I got reception, Fido showed up as the provider.

I made a blind backup from my busted phone and restored it to this AT&T Skyrocket. Everything was there even the lockscreen, momentary joy. I backed up my numbers, messages and other stuff, success.
Full system wipe, caches and all, flashed cm-11-20140815-UNOFFICIAL-skyrocket.zip, then the GAPPS micro (pa_gapps-modular-micro-4.4.4-20140818-signed.zip).

First time seeing a CM rom, looks awesome, though I also noticed it took several seconds at boot to get reception. I wasn't seeing LTE even though I live in a heavily saturated LTE coverage area and my old i727R would get LTE at full bars.
Next thing I noticed was that the phone was connecting to 'CAN ROGERS WIRELESS INC' and 'ROGERS' APNs, though no Fido, and constantly jumping between HSDPA+ and 3G but no LTE. This wasn't a major issue until I noticed the phone losing reception entirely, zero barsafter a minute or two it would regain reception.

*To clear some confusion, Fido is owned by Rogers, therefore uses Rogers towers but connects through its own APN
I would guess that Rogers allows Fido registered SIMs to piggy back on their APN in case of high traffic or technical issues/maintenence (remember seeing this happen during New Years Eve) though it would seem that they only allow Fido SIMs to access 3G to HSDPA+ bands, which is all I'm able to get.*

So I decided to access the *#*#4636#*#* menu and try to choose LTE only and lo and behold, zero bars, lost reception entirely.
Left it at GSM only (for safety vs GSM auto (PRL)), as I can't afford to miss a call during the weekdays momentarily, so hoping I find an answer soon.

Thanks for reading this far, you are a special kind of person.

EDIT: I should mention, I found a guy that seems to have the same issue as me on mohan's UXUMA7 Radio thread, post here, it's the last post on pg.8

=-In a NUTSHELL-=
.Factory i727R, running stock JB 4.1.2 UXUMA7, gets rooted
.It breaks, display is raped, still boots
.Replaced with an AT&T i727 stock UCLA3
.Flash stock UCLD2 ROM & Radio through Philz CWM
.Unlock, see Fido as provider, nice
.Flash full stock UXUMA7 through ODIN v3.07
.Boot to find UCLD2 Radio still there, no reception
.Flash mohan's UXUMA7 radio through CWM recovery
.Get reception, FIdo as provider, louks gud
.Make blind backup (4down, enter, 5down enter) from old i727R and restore to new i727
.Grab all contacts, notes, calendar, etc, then full wipe
.Flash CM11-20140815-nightly
.Looks great, CAN ROGERS WIRELESS INC as provider, hmm :|
.Then ROGERS as provider, hmmmm :|
.Notice reception drop couple of times
.Notice no LTE
.Access *#*#4636#*#* menu, choose 'LTE only', nothin, zero bars, no reception
.Suspect reception drops were attempts at LTE band range, Rogers bars it
.Leaving it at 'GSM only' until i get some advice

*Did full wipes before every flash*

Last edited:

ocd_amp

May 28, 2014
What a thread. Similar situation, waiting for more experienced member to help clear it up.

Wonderbars, you saw Fido AFTER Flashing Mohan's UXUMA7???? Because I did not.

I flashed the Stock AT&T ROM same one as you, and same radio as you UCLD2, did the Unlock.

Then rebooted and did not see Fido as Provider. Flashed Mohan's radio, Still no Fido. Restored my CM10.2 Backup, Still no Fido. What it does find automatically are the Fido APN. I can also manually enter APN information which I did, still CAN ROGER'S WIRELESS INC.

Seeing CAN ROGER'S WIRELESS INC only seems to be affecting my distaste for Roger's which is about it. Functionality wise it seems to be ok but I didnt spend too much time testing it as I'm using another phone right now.
-----------
My info relating to OPs post
-----------

Phone I have is a Roger's i717r GS2 LTE Running CM 10.2 with manually entered Fido APN. I do not care much for LTE but would be nice if I know it works.

I also see CAN ROGER'S WIRELESS and I do not see Fido as the provider. I installed MIUI JellyBean port to Skyrocket and same thing. Still see provider as Roger's.

I do not think Fido ever sold the Galaxy S2 i727r but I could be wrong so correct me if I am. From what I know the i727R is a Roger's ONLY device.

I suspect it may be a Radio issue because both CM10.2 and MIUI were detecting the provider as Roger's but not Fido. On all of my other phones, It says Fido. Even on my Bell Unlocked Blackberry Bold and my Telus xperia Ray.
Also Wonderbars says he saw Fido as provider after doing the Unlock process, so it cannot be the unlock process either.

This phone has been unlocked using a method posted here on XDA. Then Flashed with Mohan's latest Radio for I727R as mentioned in the post above.

If anyone has any ideas or can confirm my suspicion that it is a RADIO issue, please post. Thank you!

Last edited:
Reactions: wonderbars

wonderbars

Aug 18, 2014
What a thread. Similar situation, waiting for more experienced member to help clear it up.

Wonderbars, you saw Fido AFTER Flashing Mohan's UXUMA7???? Because I did not...

Yeah, I vividly remember seeing Fido right after the unlock procedure's reboot, right after which I lit a cig to celebrate. Furthermore, the original i727R I got directly from Fido, last year in May, on a 2yr slavery agreement, had JB 4.1.2 out of the box. It worked great, performance and reception-wise until it an heroed face down. Regardless, I will try a couple of different avenues at the end of this week. Pretty busy at work and I need a phone with all my contacts and a working email with notifications. I'm nearing the breaking point of just buying another phone just so I could get to the bottom of this.

skimmed over this thread, opinions
refurbed phone could have issues so u could be sol
flash preferred radio twice b4 and after flashing roms or stock fw
find correct apn's for carrier

I hear you man.
Well, I should mention this since you're here.
Initially I tried to flash the full UXUMA7 fw using Odin v1.85 and kept having that Odin crash right at the beginning, tried that thrice (rebooted my machine for the 2nd time, used a different PC the 3rd). Didn't want to mention this because it seemed insignificant but if it is, this whole scenario is next-level complicated. Remembered about Odin v3.07, found it in my folder of chaos and it flashed UXUMA7 successfully at first try.
Considering your advice, I'm going to stay at home this weekend and flash the stock rom twice over again, and try whatever else. Though, I'm wondering why did the UCLD2 radio stick after flashing the full stock UXUMA7 through Odin. Does Odin fail to write certain parts of firmware sometimes even though it reports the full write as success?

vincom

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 5, 2011
GB
meettomy.site
ive only used odin3 v1.85, if that failed for you that thats where ur problem lies.
u can flash an almost full stock rom with a custom recovery, links in 1stop sticky
radio is flashed twice if having radio issues
can u install a custom recovery, if yes you dont really need odin for flashing stock but u do need it to install a recovery.

for fido or any other carrier the radio and apns are more important than the rom, but some roms for whatever reasons do have issues w/certain carriers
so make sure u have a proper radio installed then try different roms and make sure the rom is using the correct apns, if not manually enter the apns if need be.
rogers or att radios should work for fido, read the radio section in the 1stop sticky for more info

edit: if u flash a jb or kitkat based rom and you are not using a jb radio you will not get connectivity,
eg. if using a ics radio like Ucld2, UXLF3, uclf6 they will not work w/any of the newer roms including and after jellybean, you need to be on the jb radios which for fido would be UXUMA7(rogers) or UCMC1(att)

Last edited:

wonderbars

Aug 18, 2014
vincom, thanks for your time and attention
I've read that 1stop sticky several times and I did see your odex and deodex for the Rogers JB 4.1.2 [UXUMAY]. Though I wanted to flash the full tar through Odin, my reasoning leaned towards the phone going full stock, with recovery, radio (coupled with orig RIL & CSC, unlike the mohan radio) and rom. Initially by doing this I wanted to avoid complications and backtracking to troubleshoot but it seems like that's what I got anyway.
This time I guess I'll flash it over twice, your way, and try again.
It made sense to me at the time that the unlockable UCLD2 that stuck after the attempted Odin stock flash was reason why I had no reception but I was slightly confused why mohan's zipped radio wasn't giving me full reception like usually on my old i727R. Whatever the case, you really did clear up and set a few things straight for me. Thanks again.

ocd_amp

May 28, 2014
@vincom :

The latest Roger's Radio by Mohan UXUMA7 coupled with CM 10.2 latest Stable does NOT see Fido in the list of Carriers.
It shows

Telus x 3
Bell x 3
CAN ROGER'S WIRELESS x 3

and in the order that its 1 Carrier, 2nd Carrier, 3rd Carrier, then repeat. It does not state which is 2g/3g/LTE but I am guess if all of the carriers shown is x3 then it is one of each.

Going into APN settings, it detects Fido APN Automatically. Including LTE.

Only issue is to get the phone to show you are connected to Fido, and not Roger's in Capital Letters. It is just a Cosmetic software issue. Mohan's radio works fine on both 2g/3g, Have not tried LTE but like stated, LTE is available in the list of APNs automatically in CM 10.2
Also, my other CM Roms and CM based Roms in every other phone sees Fido as the Carrier. Even an unlocked Bell Canada Blackberry sees Fido as the Carrier. Only this GS2 Skyrocket LTE by Roger's does not. This is a radio issue. It reads Fido simcard as "CAN ROGER'S WIRELESS".
It is a Roger's Radio and Fido is on Roger's networks, but the fact that Radio is not reading the sim as a Fido sim but instead seeing it as a Roger's sim is the only trouble. So this is what needs to be fixed. All Carrier names should be Available on the list. Also, in the list of Carriers, there is no mention of the TYPE of network, whether its 2g/3g/LTE --- THAT is CM 10.2 issue. CM 10.2 seems a lot more limited in options as well. Still a great fast stable daily use ROM.

If we can get the Roger's SkyRocket to see Fido in the Carrier list, that will solve this cosmetic annoyance. I will be the first to admit, I hate seeing Roger's in capital letters on ANY phone. Personal preference for this dislike. :)

Also I have read the entire Sticky you posted. ROMS, Radios, etc. It is bookmarked. Such a great post filled with information. You did a great job and thank you for your time Vincom.

ocd_amp

May 28, 2014
After Flashing Latest Stock Roger's Firmware I727RUXUMA7_I727ROYAMA7_RWC from Sammobile , Fido can be seen as the Carrier, and the phone also sees Bell, Telus, Videotron.

The problem is in Cyanogenmod 10.2. After installing it, Fido is no longer seen as a Carrier, but rather Can Roger's Wireless. You can Flash stock firmware, then Flash TWRP in Odin, and manually get rid of Bloat.

Stock ROM seemed smoother after playing with both.

I am gonna stick with Stock for now and remove the bloat myself.

Thanks for the information Vincom.

Last edited:

vincom

May 5, 2011
GB
meettomy.site
After Flashing Latest Stock Roger's Firmware I727RUXUMA7_I727ROYAMA7_RWC from Sammobile , Fido can be seen as the Carrier, and the phone also sees Bell, Telus, Videotron.

The problem is in Cyanogenmod 10.2. After installing it, Fido is no longer seen as a Carrier, but rather Can Roger's Wireless. You can Flash stock firmware, then Flash TWRP in Odin, and manually get rid of Bloat.

Stock ROM seemed smoother after playing with both.

I am gonna stick with Stock for now and remove the bloat myself.

Thanks for the information Vincom.

for some debloated stock roms take a look at the 1stop sticky

wonderbars

Aug 18, 2014
Well, here's what I did.
Initially I grabbed vincom's 4.1.2 stock, flashed it through cwm.
Got Fido as provider, 4G, waited but no LTE. Then the dreaded reception drop.
Full reset, reflashed vincom's stock twice, then mohan's radio twice (same one)
Same result, no LTE with intermittent reception drops, though to avoid reception drops, I set Network Mode to 'UMTS only'
So I decide to flash the full stock tar again through Odin, twice.
Same result.
Decide to stick with this for now until next Friday.
Thanks for all the advice and tips, haven't given up yet.

Update:
As Tommy Callahan would've said, "Holy shnikies!"
So just out of curiousity, I decided to "Select Operator" manually to Fido, and when it finally connected, I noticed my 4G connection was stronger than before, from 2 bars to 4, I used to get 3 max from my room so 4 was definitely different. Try my luck and lift the UMTS only to auto GSM/UMTS/LTE and there it is, LTE, 4 bars. Step out on my balcony, full 5 bars. I'm pretty happy at this point.

Vincom, I'm sure of it now that your superslim version of this stock will be what I'm flashing next.
I have no idea why carrier auto-selection yielded shiitty results but manual selection did something different. It's been over 30 minutes and no drop. This is solid.
Thanks again fellas.

Unforunate Update:
Spoke too soon. Lost reception. Shortly after I posted the last update. Such a shame. Really stumped what's going on with this. I wonder if the sim card might have been damaged in some way while swapping it from phone to phone. I have no idea how new sim cards work so I can't say but it would suck if it all comes down to having some retarded refurb on my hands, vincom did suggest it at some point.

Note:I posted screenshots of when I had LTE and when I lost reception.

Attachments

• img20140826_011450.jpg
    img20140826_011450.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 15
  • img20140826_013347.jpg
    img20140826_013347.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

jshamlet

Aug 25, 2014
FWIW, if both phones are the exact same model, you might try transplanting the logic board from your original phone into the second phone. You would need to check carefully, but I would imagine that with both being i727R devices, they should be otherwise identical.

I took mine apart to work on the power button, and it took a jewelers screwdriver and a fingernail.

wonderbars

Aug 18, 2014
The thing is, dunno how identical the boards are as the first phone is a Rogers i727R and the new one is an AT&T i727.
I was thinking about swapping the display but from what I've seen there's glue involved and I really don't feel like breaking a display over curiosity atm. I figured swapping the main/logic board would be easier but got no other phone momentarily though I'm planning to grab an S5 Active or the S4 in next month. At that point I'll be ok with sacrificing a phone.
Thanks for the advice though, good reminder that swapping boards is the better way to go but we'll see. I'm thinking to just grab a replacement display then try to jtag the at&t variant just because it's a ****.

vincom

May 5, 2011
GB
meettomy.site
The thing is, dunno how identical the boards are as the first phone is a Rogers i727R and the new one is an AT&T i727.
I was thinking about swapping the display but from what I've seen there's glue involved and I really don't feel like breaking a display over curiosity atm. I figured swapping the main/logic board would be easier but got no other phone momentarily though I'm planning to grab an S5 Active or the S4 in next month. At that point I'll be ok with sacrificing a phone.
Thanks for the advice though, good reminder that swapping boards is the better way to go but we'll see. I'm thinking to just grab a replacement display then try to jtag the at&t variant just because it's a ****.
both phones are identical the only diff is how to enter dl mode
jtag is only useful for a hard bricked phone.
it could be any hw problem such as sim card slot, antennae connection, bad logic board, bad cable connection, bad solder point, etc.
refurbed phones are a hit&miss, actually anything that is refurbed is, they are usually checked very briefly for bootup and if it runs but not for any meaningful long term testing, and most refurbed products are not checked at all as they are just resold at a discount, its a buyer beware scenario.
when and if i do buy refurbed products i try to make sure it has a 100% guarantee return policy for at least 2 weeks, if it has no return policy then i factor in the price to see if its worth the gamble.

the only way to test the phone is if you can test w/a rogers lte sim card and stock firmware to see if its a buggy phone or not

Last edited:

wonderbars

Aug 18, 2014
Thanks for that man
I guess that's what I get for buying a phone off eBay. The regretful thing was right after I bought it, I was looking on craigslist for a display replacement and found a guy selling a brand new Rogers i727R for less than what I paid for this phone, plus the guy in question had a store and yelp reviews were good in also saying he had cheap BNIB discontinued celphones.
For me at this point it's whatever. I got my contacts, notes and calendar out of the broken one and on my free time, I'm going to try and pinpoint the radio issue, if it turns out to be harware, **** it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    skimmed over this thread, opinions
    refurbed phone could have issues so u could be sol
    flash preferred radio twice b4 and after flashing roms or stock fw
    find correct apn's for carrier
    ive only used odin3 v1.85, if that failed for you that thats where ur problem lies.
    u can flash an almost full stock rom with a custom recovery, links in 1stop sticky
    radio is flashed twice if having radio issues
    can u install a custom recovery, if yes you dont really need odin for flashing stock but u do need it to install a recovery.

for fido or any other carrier the radio and apns are more important than the rom, but some roms for whatever reasons do have issues w/certain carriers
    so make sure u have a proper radio installed then try different roms and make sure the rom is using the correct apns, if not manually enter the apns if need be.
    rogers or att radios should work for fido, read the radio section in the 1stop sticky for more info

edit: if u flash a jb or kitkat based rom and you are not using a jb radio you will not get connectivity,
    eg. if using a ics radio like Ucld2, UXLF3, uclf6 they will not work w/any of the newer roms including and after jellybean, you need to be on the jb radios which for fido would be UXUMA7(rogers) or UCMC1(att)
    both phones are identical the only diff is how to enter dl mode
    jtag is only useful for a hard bricked phone.
    it could be any hw problem such as sim card slot, antennae connection, bad logic board, bad cable connection, bad solder point, etc.
    refurbed phones are a hit&miss, actually anything that is refurbed is, they are usually checked very briefly for bootup and if it runs but not for any meaningful long term testing, and most refurbed products are not checked at all as they are just resold at a discount, its a buyer beware scenario.
    when and if i do buy refurbed products i try to make sure it has a 100% guarantee return policy for at least 2 weeks, if it has no return policy then i factor in the price to see if its worth the gamble.

the only way to test the phone is if you can test w/a rogers lte sim card and stock firmware to see if its a buggy phone or not

Wonderbars, you saw Fido AFTER Flashing Mohan's UXUMA7???? Because I did not.

I flashed the Stock AT&T ROM same one as you, and same radio as you UCLD2, did the Unlock.

Then rebooted and did not see Fido as Provider. Flashed Mohan's radio, Still no Fido. Restored my CM10.2 Backup, Still no Fido. What it does find automatically are the Fido APN. I can also manually enter APN information which I did, still CAN ROGER'S WIRELESS INC.

Seeing CAN ROGER'S WIRELESS INC only seems to be affecting my distaste for Roger's which is about it. Functionality wise it seems to be ok but I didnt spend too much time testing it as I'm using another phone right now.
    -----------
    My info relating to OPs post
    -----------

Phone I have is a Roger's i717r GS2 LTE Running CM 10.2 with manually entered Fido APN. I do not care much for LTE but would be nice if I know it works.

I also see CAN ROGER'S WIRELESS and I do not see Fido as the provider. I installed MIUI JellyBean port to Skyrocket and same thing. Still see provider as Roger's.

I do not think Fido ever sold the Galaxy S2 i727r but I could be wrong so correct me if I am. From what I know the i727R is a Roger's ONLY device.

I suspect it may be a Radio issue because both CM10.2 and MIUI were detecting the provider as Roger's but not Fido. On all of my other phones, It says Fido. Even on my Bell Unlocked Blackberry Bold and my Telus xperia Ray.
    Also Wonderbars says he saw Fido as provider after doing the Unlock process, so it cannot be the unlock process either.

This phone has been unlocked using a method posted here on XDA. Then Flashed with Mohan's latest Radio for I727R as mentioned in the post above.

If anyone has any ideas or can confirm my suspicion that it is a RADIO issue, please post. Thank you!
    i know that users are using it on fido
    for lte u need a lte sim card