Streak 7 "read only" problem

Search This thread

onilink67

Nov 23, 2008
Austin
wish I could say I was just got put on Temporary Assignment and had to move ... brought my steak with me though. I'm still pretty sure JTAG is the solution to this still trying to hunt down the points.

Last edited:

jydie

Dec 13, 2010
I was reading about JTAG the other day, and I would agree with you... I have a hunch Dell support is using that to reset the read-only devices. The biggest problem I have with JTAG... I have no clue how to perform something like that. When I was looking at the internal S7 photos in a link that was posted here on XDA, I seen some pins sticking up from the motherboard. The group of pins looked similar to other JTAG pins I seen in the article I was reading.

The other bad thing about JTAG... you would have to open the Streak 7. At least TheManii is putting together a guide on how to do that. :)

onilink67

Nov 23, 2008
Austin
I was reading about JTAG the other day, and I would agree with you... I have a hunch Dell support is using that to reset the read-only devices. The biggest problem I have with JTAG... I have no clue how to perform something like that. When I was looking at the internal S7 photos in a link that was posted here on XDA, I seen some pins sticking up from the motherboard. The group of pins looked similar to other JTAG pins I seen in the article I was reading.

The other bad thing about JTAG... you would have to open the Streak 7. At least TheManii is putting together a guide on how to do that. :)

you also need a JTAG flasher something I have but there are plenty of places that do this as a service. More then likely the JTAG pins were removed for the production model and we'd have to find the points to solder directly to. My streak is more dead then most in this thread so I'm planning on being the test mule whenever I get the time.

julianefz

Dec 7, 2011
jtag

i been writing a email with ort- jtag and they reply me 2 days ago and say :
:D:D
we have finished support for nvidia cpus its is just matter of time with this model

cootertwo

Mar 5, 2011
Dell from hell, sent me a totally new unit. No T-mobile brand on back, just DELL. Still working, though I hardly use it since I retired last month.

onilink67

Nov 23, 2008
Austin
Last edited:
Reactions: ramtix

ramtix

Dec 2, 2010
Gladstone
So any update on getting a DS7 out of its 'read-olny' state - apart from shipping to dell???

I guess none bro.. I just got my DS7 after almost 4 weeks waiting just to be replaced for a new one. I would have preferred of having the old one's read-only problem fixed than getting a new one.

Fingers cross that the new one wont have the read-only bug.

scarydrew

Mar 30, 2012
read the forums, read only mode, dell streak 7 wifi us, called dell, sent it in to them, its been 3 1/2 weeks since i shipped it so i called to see whats taking so long, the guy (from what i could understand, language barrier) said they wont honor my warranty and they will fix it for $250!!!!! I am the original owner, still 180+ days on warranty, there was nothing done to the table to void the warranty no spill damage nothing wrong with it just one day turned it on and apps were crashing and after many hours of research discovered there was many others with the same read only problem... my problem now is, ive seen that many of you sent your tablets in even rooted ones and had it fixed/replaced which im pretty sure rooting does void the warranty, now i see that dell doesnt even sell tablets anymore, maybe because they realized how big they dropped the ball on this one, even before the read only problem i had nothing but problems with charging, stuck on dell logo, etc etc, does anyone know why dell is now trying to weasel out of repairing/replacing my streak? I sent an email detailing how horrible my years of dealing with dell have been and this being one of the worst experiences etc etc how the tablet didnt work properly from the day i received it, so maybe they are just trying to be scam artists and get some money out of me but wont resist against me complaining and they'll just fix/replace it for free... if anyone has any better inside information about what the heck is going on here let me know, but based on reading this thread im convinced that dell made yet another crappy faulty product and they dont care about screwing over the customer because it wont hurt their bottom line, thanks all, ill keep you updated

cootertwo

Mar 5, 2011
Send Dell from hell a link to your posts. Sometimes it helps when they realize the whole world may be watching. Although I think Dell gave up caring about support when they shipped it all to India, like many others. It's all $$$$$ that's all that counts:mad:

hyem

Jun 13, 2007
sorry to bump this thread up... can anyone please help this out?
I have buy the unlock code... its work to unlock.. but the "read only" state can't be fixed

btw is there still any chance for dell to replace at this time?

onilink67

Nov 23, 2008
Austin
sorry to bump this thread up... can anyone please help this out?
I have buy the unlock code... its work to unlock.. but the "read only" state can't be fixed

btw is there still any chance for dell to replace at this time?

I'm still trying to work with internal channels to find information on how they fix this problem I get the feeling they are replacing the board though. If you're still under warranty I'd bet they will get it fixed one way or another for you.

As for fixing it ourselves I've been working with my RIFF Box a bit but their Tegra mode isn't the same as normal JTAG communication and still trying to figure it out. These boxes aren't known for good documentation ;)

MasterGBC

Apr 29, 2011
I recently had this problem, the "Read-Only" mode. I couldn't restore, i couldn't put any new Roms, or make any changes. It seems I let me Streak 7 Die over night without charging and it caused this.

Only solution I found was to send it back to Dell. I still had about 30 days warranty left. Shipped it out, next day they sent me another unit.

TheManii

Wiki Admin / Inactive RC
Dec 8, 2010
What rom did your refurb have pre installed?

If you're unsure how to check its:
settings -> about device -> OEM version

RichieRich84

May 23, 2011
Washington
I had this same issue when I tried to flash mine to a new rom after installing rom manager and installin clockwork mod recovery 3.0.2.0 recomended from app. Then I did a factory reset from menu settings which you are not supposed to do which stuck me in a cwm boot loop. Just learnd today from someone that this might fix it haven't tried yet since mine is at my buddies house trying to fix it. I am gonna pick it up today and try it myself. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1018809

aweskelo

Aug 27, 2010
Folks there is no fixing this AFAIK without jtag.

Meantime, do not let your streak die from battery drain. Turn it off or keep it on charger when not in use.

illdill

Feb 7, 2011
Nampa ID
Folks there is no fixing this AFAIK without jtag.

Meantime, do not let your streak die from battery drain. Turn it off or keep it on charger when not in use.

Any update on the J-Tag fix?

---------- Post added at 06:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:21 PM ----------

I don't have this issue, but I am seriously interested in finding a solution as I have no doubt that at some point I will face it. Murphy's Law.

Anyway, I am not sure if this will help at all, but I did find a way to boot into clockwork recovery from fastboot.

The command is fastboot boot recovery.img (Do not use the flash command)

http://mirror2.streakdroid.com/manii/misc/ClockWorkMod/S7_3.2-5.0.2.7.img

Rename this to recovery.img after downloading.

This will reboot the device into the clockwork recovery menu unless the read only problem prevents the recovery from writing successfully. From there I guess you could play around with clockwork and try to flash an update. This probably isn't going to help anyone, but I thought I would throw it out there just in case.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    just got home to where my JTAG is yesterday I'll probably have some time to play around with it tomorrow
    Another thing to consider. In another thread, it was mentioned that both Dell and T-Mobile confirmed an OTA upgrade from Froyo to Honeycomb.

So why was it delayed? Possibly to do with a certain read-only issue found when rooted and discharged? And the warranty returns we provided Dell gave them an opportunity to identify a fix?

I know, a little thin, but that's my theory. Imagine. Now I'll have to nvflash again to upgrade to the official 4G OTA. Lolz. I just got used my Honeycomb tablet the way it was...

Let's hope read-only was actually fixed in this next possible OTA...

Sent from my Dell Streak 7 using Tapatalk

I was curious to see if it is design defect or software bugs so went to bestbuy and saw they have Dell Streak 7 WIFI with Honeycomb 3.2 Open Box for $ 159. It was the last one so I bought it.

I run the test by letting the power go to 0 (watching netflix only last 2 hours from fully charge to 0).
    Guess what It wont BOOT stuck on DELL logo screen.

HOWEVER this time the recovery partition wasnt lock up
    Tried factory reset (original recovery from dell) did nothing.
    So I NVflash CWM v5
    did factory reset with it (erase data, cache, dalvik cache).
    and it WORK. However you lost all your data.

So I run second test again by draining the battery to 0.
    Well the it locked up again. And i did factory reset with CWM 5 and the streak comes alive again.

I am returning the Dell Streak 7 WIFI to best buy today.
    Can you please give some brief instructions on how to do this? e.g.- how do you use cw5?

I use fastboot to flash the cw5 recovery
    you can find the link from here
    Put your streak into fastboot mode (vol down + power) and connect to your computer using USB cable.
    Put the cw file the same you put the fastboot.exe than just type under command pront (cmd.exe on windows)
    fastboot recovery (the name of the cw5 file).img

Once you done, boot into recovery (Volume up and power) and select factory reset (user data and internal tablet) it will than go to CW5 recovery and again select factory reset.

I tested this with the WIFI Honeycomb version and I did it very quickly after the streak went to Read Only mode (the data format error code) and after failing to reset it with Dell standard recovery.
    I use fastboot to flash the cw5 recovery
    you can find the link from here
    Put your streak into fastboot mode (vol down + power) and connect to your computer using USB cable.
    Put the cw file the same you put the fastboot.exe than just type under command pront (cmd.exe on windows)
    fastboot recovery (the name of the cw5 file).img

Once you done, boot into recovery (Volume up and power) and select factory reset (user data and internal tablet) it will than go to CW5 recovery and again select factory reset.

I tested this with the WIFI Honeycomb version and I did it very quickly after the streak went to Read Only mode (the data format error code) and after failing to reset it with Dell standard recovery.

I am having the same problem now..I'm on 513stock version and I have CMW5. everytime I put something on my SD card, it gets erased when restarted and it goes back to the previous state, even if I update/install a new app.

I have tried the select factory reset (user data and internal tablet) but nothing happens, it just sends me back to CWM5.

anybody found a solution to this read-only problem?
    It does sound like the read only problem, the only solution is to send it back to dell and hope they fix it if it really is the case