Time Warner App for Rooted Users [Updated 4.19.12]

Search This thread

EL_G15

Dec 18, 2010
Los Angeles
Hey... I understand you don't have TWC for internet.. However since you are a digital cable customer we will provide you with a modem (at no charge) to connect to for the live tv feature. Again this is free. No catch.

Basically the modem is provisioned so only the twc app, and the timewarnercable.com website will work. Everything else is blocked off. If you live in the NE and you need assistance getting this setup.. I'd be more then happy to assist you.

As far as earlier... I said I'd poke around at the documentation on the app... And well... There isn't any at my "level" as of yet. Currently android support is being handled at the corp. level.. I wish I had something to be of some help..

He is right...

KEY is your friend ;)

stuff

Apr 16, 2007
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Well, I believe I'm gonna give up looking around for any way for Live TV to work on mobile, or any other wifi network, as I believe there's more to it than just restrictions within the app.

What I am going to work on is getting it to properly work on any version of android, not just ICS. I'm sure plenty of people would appreciate that

Reactions: modreus and b00sted

ACoolGuy

Jan 23, 2009
Well, I believe I'm gonna give up looking around for any way for Live TV to work on mobile, or any other wifi network, as I believe there's more to it than just restrictions within the app.

What I am going to work on is getting it to properly work on any version of android, not just ICS. I'm sure plenty of people would appreciate that

Awesome. While it would be nice to be able to use it off home network, just being able to RUN the Live TV from my non-ICS device would be huge. Thanks for all of your work. I'm available to test.

eortizr

Jul 6, 2010
Dallas,Texas
I dont know why TWC has that stupid restriction to only watch at home,, it makes no sense, why I would watch tv at home in my cell or tablet if a I have my TV:mad:

trparky

Jun 11, 2011
Thank you!

I have a rooted Galaxy Nexus and I was really pissed that I couldn't use the LiveTV functionality in the app on my rooted phone.

Again, thanks for the hack to make it work.

Tomdg07

Aug 16, 2011
Ohio
I dont know why TWC has that stupid restriction to only watch at home,, it makes no sense, why I would watch tv at home in my cell or tablet if a I have my TV:mad:

First let me say I agree with you. I can only assume the reason for locking access to your home network would be to prevent users from giving out usernames and passwords to non twc customers allowing them access without a legit subscription.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda premium

B

bhhurdler1

First let me say I agree with you. I can only assume the reason for locking access to your home network would be to prevent users from giving out usernames and passwords to non twc customers allowing them access without a legit subscription.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda premium

Actually the legit reason is company's such as CNN, FOX, NBC, etc etc... Have clauses in their contracts with providers(such as twc) stating that the programing is for in home use only. Allowing customers to use this in other homes, or over a mobile network violates those contract agreements.

Ultimately it comes down to money. A channel such as CNN (using as an example) wants you to pay for access to their channel over 3g/4g.

---------- Post added at 06:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:48 PM ----------

You've never wanted to watch a tv show while youre take'n a ****? :)

TonyBigs

Apr 14, 2011
Could it be that Time Warner is looking to get into the phone business, thus be available on mobile?

b00sted

Dec 24, 2009
Mount Morris NY
hdmi unblocked made me content, like I mentioned before I dont have cable lines ran up the second floor of my hour nor do I want to.. slap the ***** in on the tv and I am good only downfall is I need a 20ft hDMI cable so I can lay in bed and change channels lol

Darmokk

Jun 13, 2011
DFW, TX
This is a decent app, thanks for the fixes so far especially the root fix

I understand why maybe twc wouldn't let you watch live tv on mobile networks, but I should be able to watch it over wifi at my workplace imho

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using XDA

dfeng

Oct 22, 2008
Aspect Ratio on Touchpad

I'm new to Andoid/ICS, but have installed the modified .apk on Cyanogenmod ICS on my HP Touchpad. The app is working as expected, but the Live TV aspect ratio is a bit off (video is not wide enough).

Is there any way to change the aspect ratio within the app or via some system setting?

stuff

Apr 16, 2007
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Been busy lately. Lots of work. So I haven't messed with getting live TV to work on non ics devices. Lame that it is restricted. I'll keep working on it. I'm still searching through the code to make sure I find everywhere it asks what android version you've got

Reactions: addictrazr

Jim_IT

Jan 20, 2012
I'm new to Andoid/ICS, but have installed the modified .apk on Cyanogenmod ICS on my HP Touchpad. The app is working as expected, but the Live TV aspect ratio is a bit off (video is not wide enough).

Is there any way to change the aspect ratio within the app or via some system setting?

Dfeng, there are 2 versions on the 1st page of this thread. You installed the phone version, uninstall and try the tablet version.

Jim

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here is the TWC TV app for all of us that went to install it and got the big FU from Time Warner when the rooted user msg came up then again when you plugged into HDMI or god forbid you had usb debugging turned on..

Phone Version:
    *Works on rooted phones
    *Works with ADB enabled
    *Works connected to HDMI
    http://www.mediafire.com/?pbtif3rpyuxpzyz

Tab Version:
    *Works on rooted phones
    *Works with ADB enabled
    *Works connected to HDMI
    http://www.mediafire.com/?9aysv1y57kpd45u

also would like to thank Forum user stuff, ProtoDroid and hrubak as without them most of what you see would not be done!

Screenshot_2012-04-18-13-05-23.png
    Could you provide a detailed walk-through of what to do exactly on the pc and android device?

Sure!

1. Install CopSSH for Windows from here:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/sereds/files/Copssh/3.0.3/Copssh_3.0.3_Installer.zip/download

2. Extract the .exe file from .zip file and run the setup. During the setup, you will be prompted for a username and password, make sure you specify this and make it something you can remember (you will need it later).

3. Activate a user by going to Start->All Programs->CopSSH->1. Activate a User. Select the user you just setup in step 2.

4. Type in and confirm a passphrase (make sure you remember this). Then click activate.

5. Now you need to allow an port exception through your Windows Firewall. Standard SSH port is port 22, so that's what I used. You can do this by going to your control panel, selecting Windows Firewall, and click "allow a program through Windows Firewall."

6. Select Add port...name it SSH and enter port 22.

7. Click change scope...and make sure the radio button that says "Any computer (including those on the Internet) is selected. Click OK.

8. Now we need to setup port-forwarding to your router. To do this you need to know how to access your router, your WAN IP address, and your LAN IP Address assigned by your router.

9. To find out your LAN IP address, open a command prompt and type in "ipconfig -all". Typically, it will begin with 192.168 unless you have modified your LAN settings. To find your WAN IP address settings, google "what is my IP address?" There are a number of sites that can tell you that.

10. To access your router, you need to find it's IP address, which is usually 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1; you will know by entering one of those addresses in your browser and it will prompt you for your login info. If you don't know your user name and password, I can't help you there but Google may be able to (try to look-up the default username and password for your router model).

11. Once logged in, find your "virtual server" or "port forwarding" settings, specify port 22 - 22 for the start and end range, and route it to the LAN IP address you found in step 9. Save your settings and exit your browser.

12. If you've made it this far, your SSH service and port forwarding settings are done; now you just need to log into it. Download SSH Tunnel from the Google Play Store.

13. When you open it up, it will ask you for a number of settings. I have listed them below and what you need to enter in each textbox:
    - Host Name: Enter your WAN IP address that you discovered in step 9.
    - Port: Enter "22"
    - Username: Enter your username you specified in CopSSH
    - Password: Enter your password you specified in CopSSH

14. Make sure the following options are checked:
    - Use socks proxy
    - Global proxy

15. That's it! Now scroll to the top of the app and check the first checkbox labeled "tunnel switch" and it should connect you.

Please keep in mind that you need to be logged into a wifi connection, but it doesn't have to be your home wifi connection!

DON'T forget the thanks button!
    Would you mind terribly to post your apk?

Him posting his APK means nothing unless for some reason you can't get the version on the market. Elvis said he's using the stock version. If you can't get the market version, try the hacked one posted a few pages back.

Posting again-here are the possibilities people face. I'm going to try to sum up EVERYTHING.

This app requires ICS to run. As stated a few posts back, it works on JB. Here's how to get it working on a rooted device.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww8eTzXbJSY

Here's a text version for non-YT-watcher-type-people

1-Remove all instances of your TWC app.
    2-Using a root file explorer, navigate to \system\app
    3-Rename superuser.apk to su.apk (this is valid for SUPERUSER, not Chainfire's SU)
    4-Reboot* (see below)
    5-Reinstall TWC app from Google Play.
    6-Turn off USB debugging
    7-Enjoy

*-If using a CM based mod, you need to take another step before rebooting. You need to edit build.prop and blank out the test keys line. Leave the line in place, just remove the reference to your build keys. Then reboot and resume at step 5

If you do all this and still get errors, it depends on what the error is. Some devices and some roms are not capable of handling this app. My ASUS TF101 and HP TP worked fine (ASUS-Android Revo rom, HP TP-CM9 nightlies). My HTC Flyer running JB could NOT handle it but it's not because it's JB. It's a hardware decoding issue.

Alternatively-you can try the hacked.apk posted a few pages back.

My instructions are only valid for people where IT WORKED BEFORE THE LAST TWC APP UPDATE. My steps may not work if it's NEVER worked for you (IE-that flyer). As for watching the app when away from your home network, I can't answer that but back several pages is the steps on how to SSH into your network and fool the app.

---------- Post added at 11:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 AM ----------

Toroplus. Unofficial AOKP JB nightly.

Did it ever work on the device when using ICS?

As for wolf asking about a capture app, try screencaster. However, I think this falls under the realm of why TWC has root checks to begin with. But, considering we all have DVRs and VCRs and DVD-RWs that we could record this stuff anyways, I don't think it's a moral issue to capture on the tablet. Did you know you can go to a website and view the streams there? (Use your TWC services login).

Rlanza, I'm not a dev. Just a person like you that has followed this app from the original hacked version with no checks to where we are today. I made a gift of a rooted HP TP to my parents 90% specifically because of this app. I was extremely dismayed when they had it for about a month and the app blew up. This thread helped me get it working on my ASUS first and then a week or so later on the TP because of the build.prop fix. I too am tech support and not a coder.
    Still messing around stuff (no pun intended lol).

This link helps a lot when reading the code: http://pallergabor.uw.hu/androidblog/dalvik_opcodes.html

I am pretty much stumped/burnt out I have had almost 15hrs of messing this this damn code lol
    I also can give you the app decompiled, I just not sure what to nix out of the smali files: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22063477/com.TWCableTV-1.zip