[ROM][Player4][US/Intl] CyanogenMod CM9 Preview Builds for the Galaxy Player 4

Search This thread

bbelos

Inactive Recognized Developer
Apr 23, 2011
Chicago
CyanogenMod 9 is a free, community built distribution of Android 4.0.4 (Ice Cream Sandwich) which greatly extends the capabilities of your phone.

Code:
#include 
/*
 * Your warranty is now void.
 * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
 * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
 * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
 * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
 * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
 */

This is a preview build of CM9 for the Samsung Galaxy Player 4. It may cause all the things in the disclaimer to happen, or steal your girlfriend while you are busy flashing ROMs.

Note: Please backup your efs in case of something goes wrong (the zip should backup it but we're never too sure) To do so execute this command:

Code:
dd if=/dev/block/stl3 of=/sdcard/efs.rfs

Preview Install instructions:

1. Download cm-9-20130402-kernel-preflash.zip
md5: 4a900fcddbc3d81d121a7b9c9d4bb0a0
2. Download cm-9-20130408-UNOFFICIAL-ypg1.zip
3. Make all your backups.
4. Remove external sdcard (will be resolved later)
5. Make sure your efs is intact (not blank).
6. Boot into recovery, make more backups.
7. Flash cm-9-20130402-kernel-preflash.zip (temporary workaround for first-time install)
8. Flash cm-9-20130408-UNOFFICIAL-ypg1.zip

Installation Notes:
When you install for the first time, there is a conversion to the new MTD partition layout. The installer will flash the new kernel and reboot. It is possible for this process to hang up on the samsung logo (still working that part out). It is normal to see the Samsung logo appear 3 seperate times during this reboot phase. **Please wait at least a minute before assuming you are stuck.** If this happens, you should extract the boot.img from the installer zip and flash it with heimdall (heimdall flash --kernel boot.img, or other appropriate GUI methods). It should boot back into recovery and continue the installation. Once the install finishes, it should reboot once more back into recovery, which gives you the opportunity to flash your gapps.

**Google Apps are not included in these ROMs. You'll need to install those yourself if you want them. Recommended and highly suggested are the 4.0.4 gapps from goo.im.

Known Issues:
Back Camera: Still pictures work and will be clear although the preview window doesn't focus correctly. Video recording is working?
Front Camera: Still pictures and video works, although it's rotated 90 degrees.
Bluetooth (Turns on, but devices are not visible) Fixed 0405
External sdcard symlink (can still be accessed through /mnt/emmc)

Sources
Device tree: https://github.com/bbelos/android_device_samsung_ypg1
Kernel source: https://github.com/bbelos/android_kernel_samsung_palladio

Previous Builds:
cm-9-20130402-kernel-preflash.zip
cm-9-20130402-UNOFFICIAL-ypg1.zip
md5: 62caad1c4ca1198a0a655e28ccc07a13

Last edited:

zaclimon

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 14, 2011
Montréal
Here's the gapps package if you want them:

Gapps Package Download

Also guys when you will enter into recovery using the three fingers method, it will do the same as like when you installed it the first time. (It will reboot 3 TIMES so don't panic if you think of it as a bootloop.)

Forgot that one too, if you have an external SD card inside your device, it's recommended that you remove it prior to the install. (if not well CWM will give you an infinite bootloop of installation aborted. The only way I've seen to fix it is to format your sdcard but I didn't want to go all through this soo...)

You will need a FULL EFS folder to install this rom as the installation script will check it. If you don't have it, you will have CWM bootloops. YOU'VE BEEN ADVISED!!

Last edited:

the playa!

Mar 18, 2012
Somerset
CyanogenMod 9 is a free, community built distribution of Android 4.0.4 (Ice Cream Sandwich) which greatly extends the capabilities of your phone.

Code:
#include 
/*
 */

This is a preview build of CM9 for the Samsung Galaxy Player 4. It may cause all the things in the disclaimer to happen, or steal your girlfriend while you are busy flashing ROMs.

Note: Please backup your efs in case of something goes wrong (the zip should backup it but we're never too sure) To do so execute this command:

Code:

1. Download cm-9-20130330-UNOFFICIAL-ypg1.zip
md5: 17c62877c6de776c692cdb634aa730d2
2. Boot into recovery, make your backups and install.

Installation Notes:
When you install for the first time, there is a conversion to the new MTD partition layout. The installer will flash the new kernel and reboot. It is possible for this process to hang up on the samsung logo (still working that part out). If this happens, you should extract the boot.img from the installer zip and flash it with heimdall (heimdall flash --kernel boot.img, or other appropriate GUI methods). It should boot back into recovery and continue the installation. Once the install finishes, it should reboot once more back into recovery, which gives you the opportunity to flash your gapps.

**Google Apps are not included in these ROMs. You'll need to install those yourself if you want them. Recommended and highly suggested are the 4.0.4 gapps from goo.im.

Known Issues:
Camera
More to be listed later

Sources

THANK YOU GUYS!!! So basically, go to CWM, then back up first.. Then install right? That's it... ?

the playa!

Mar 18, 2012
Somerset
DAMMIT! Idk what happened.. It was flashing and then the screen went blank all the sudden and now its stuck on a solid Samsung logo! D:

Edit: I saw your post where it says to flash the boot.img but it said flash failed :(

Last edited:

zaclimon

Aug 14, 2011
Montréal
DAMMIT! Idk what happened.. It was flashing and then the screen went blank all the sudden and now its stuck on a solid Samsung logo! D:

Forgot that one. It may be possible that you get stuck at the Samsung boot logo. Try either bbelos solution or flash back to stock and retry.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

goldflame09

Jul 23, 2012
CT

Edit: I saw your post where it says to flash the boot.img but it said flash failed :(

two reasons why flash failed:

1. dont have the correct drivers
2. you need to be in download mode.

ti-pich

Sep 11, 2012
Québec
Well, don't try to do a dirty flash... It won't work. Neither flashing when you are already on mtd. Anyway, I'll wait till monday to get my backup on my other computer and test it out.

zamuz27

Nov 6, 2011
Nexus 9
Xiaomi Mi A1
So happy to see more progress on CM9 for the 4.0.

I'm going to try this out, but I'll eventually go back to Gingerbread since I want to have a working camera. I have everything backed up, including EFS. So to go back I could just flash my GB backup over CM9 and it should work, right? Just want to make sure before I jump in.

Thanks for the hard work!

zaclimon

Aug 14, 2011
Montréal

I'm going to try this out, but I'll eventually go back to Gingerbread since I want to have a working camera. I have everything backed up, including EFS. So to go back I could just flash my GB backup over CM9 and it should work, right? Just want to make sure before I jump in.

Nope, you would need to go back to GB then restore your backup.

markymark567

Nov 18, 2012

No you will have to restore stock first then fix your efs, then i think you can reflash cwm and restore your backup.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using xda app-developers app

iJimaniac

Oct 19, 2011
It's here, huray! :p
Out of curiosity, is there anything fixed in the rom from older releases, or is it mainly the cwm fix? I notice the only bug listed is camera - that would be nice, lol!

Sent from my YP-G1 running R.E.D.D

zaclimon

Aug 14, 2011
Montréal
It keeps on going on and on... It keeps on rebooting... What have I done this time? I followed the instructions...

Do you see a cwm flashing image of just the Samsung logo rebooting?

Hmm I didn't tried this rom myself so I don't know if it's working or not. Normally bbelos tries all the builds prior to upload it. Has anyone got it working?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Code:
    #include 
    /*
     */

Code:

1. Download cm-9-20130402-kernel-preflash.zip
    2. Download cm-9-20130408-UNOFFICIAL-ypg1.zip
    3. Make all your backups.
    4. Remove external sdcard (will be resolved later)
    5. Make sure your efs is intact (not blank).
    6. Boot into recovery, make more backups.
    7. Flash cm-9-20130402-kernel-preflash.zip (temporary workaround for first-time install)
    8. Flash cm-9-20130408-UNOFFICIAL-ypg1.zip

Installation Notes:
    When you install for the first time, there is a conversion to the new MTD partition layout. The installer will flash the new kernel and reboot. It is possible for this process to hang up on the samsung logo (still working that part out). It is normal to see the Samsung logo appear 3 seperate times during this reboot phase. **Please wait at least a minute before assuming you are stuck.** If this happens, you should extract the boot.img from the installer zip and flash it with heimdall (heimdall flash --kernel boot.img, or other appropriate GUI methods). It should boot back into recovery and continue the installation. Once the install finishes, it should reboot once more back into recovery, which gives you the opportunity to flash your gapps.

Known Issues:
    Back Camera: Still pictures work and will be clear although the preview window doesn't focus correctly. Video recording is working?
    Front Camera: Still pictures and video works, although it's rotated 90 degrees.
    Bluetooth (Turns on, but devices are not visible) Fixed 0405
    External sdcard symlink (can still be accessed through /mnt/emmc)

Sources

Previous Builds:
    cm-9-20130402-kernel-preflash.zip
    cm-9-20130402-UNOFFICIAL-ypg1.zip
    md5: 62caad1c4ca1198a0a655e28ccc07a13
    New build added to the OP

Changelog:
    - All sensors are now working. The compass was previously broken.
    - Cameras are partially working now. GPS tagging does work. Ignore the flash icon.
    **** Back camera: Still pictures are working. The preview frame doesn't focus correctly but the pictures will be in focus. Video recording is not working.
    **** Front camera: Still pictures and video are working, although it is rotated 90 degrees.

EDIT: looks like back cam video recording is working afterall.
    I will upload a new build tomorrow that has working touchkey backlights and working bluetooth.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app
    I got the rom flashed without a hitch (following the OP).
    Perhaps more importantly;I GOT THE HOME BUTTON WORKING!!
    Based upon my earlier observation, I simply had to edit one line in the Generic.kl (I changed key 102 from "MOVE_HOME" to "HOME")
    Here is my edited Generic.kl; Download
    Simply push this file to /system/usr/keylayout/ and overwrite the existing file, then change the permissions to rw-r--r--
    This is more of a "dirty" patch, as it doesn't get to the root of the problem, but hey, IT WORKS!

Don't forget the 'thanks' button :p
    New build added to the OP (cm-9-20130405-UNOFFICIAL-ypg1.zip).

Changelog:
    - Touchkey backlights are working and timeout after 6secs on inactivity. If you don't want the lights, you can further configure with the Automatic backlight display settings.
    - Bluetooth is working. (Well, pairs on devices i tested, and have audio through my headset)

Still no-go on the camera yet.

EDIT: Sorry, it's called Automatic backlight.
    Settings -> Display -> Automatic backlight. Then if you check "Use custom", you can enter the "Edit other levels..." menu. This allows you to change 255 to 0 for any light level you would like to disable the button backlights.