HD2 ToolBox app and linux Hot BootLoader

Search This thread

dan1j3l

Retired Recognized Developer
May 23, 2010
Zagreb
After a long time it's a moment to realease HTC HD2 ToolBox app with HBL. Small app that will allow you to boot linux inside android, and display everything on screen or through VNC connection. ToolBox app is also redesigned and added some new functions.

In pack is barebone debian distro with xfce4 interface.

There is also posibility that this app and HBL will work on other phones like leo (desire, nexus one ...)

Everything else you need to know is in Readme file.

Bug reports or suggestions on this thread, i'll answer when i'll get some time.

Enjoy !!!

EDIT: I added Readme file to this post so lazy people can read everything before downloading pack, or asking silly questions! :p

EDIT 2: I'm currently working on support for sdcard roms and other non-working builds. Also i would like to mention that is possible to run ANY linux distro with HBL (with some modifications) or even to run another android rom!
So consider this early versions only as "technology preview", more support and bug-fixes in next few days...

P.S Thank you all for your support ! :)

Download Link

Attachments

• Readme.txt
    1.5 KB · Views: 3,042
Last edited:

Marvlesz

Jun 28, 2010
Saudi Arabia
I've been waiting for (something similar, but this should do the work) such an app.
Thank you. :D

@hd# ..
Read the "Read-me" file ?

Robbie P

Feb 8, 2011
London
been waiting for this too.
But my broadband is down and I've already exceeded my monthly data allowance using wifi tether (500mb !!!)
... might have to do it anyway :)

Edit; still downloading... I assume there is no sound enabled on this

Last edited:

alltome

May 27, 2010
Grimma Germany
hi first big thanks for your hard work.

now i need some help to get linux running from HBL.

i´m using kingdom sense3 rom from dungphp.

i installed hd2 toolbox and copied linux folder to root of sd card.
i installed HBL (Busybos is installed in version 1.19.x.x) i took rootexplorer and give /system/bin/ write permissions for owner/groups/others.

But i need initd support: what i have to do to get this?? or is it on my rom?

please help cause at the moment i´ve bootloops everytime i want to boot linux.

diesburg

Jan 6, 2008
www.diesburg.co.cc
So if I understand this right.... which I don't think I did at first..... this is basically the same thing as booting ubuntu and connecting to it with vnc, the ubuntu that is in another thread.... i ask because what I am looking for is usb host support.... which I don't believe is possible with the other ubuntu that boots in android.... and I think if I undestand this right... is not possible with this one either......i do appreciate the work done on this app a lot.... but to me, it's useless unless usbhost is supported because of tiny menus and buttons not being easily clickable with fingers..... so I want to use my wireless mouse that has a usb receiever......

edit: download finally finished, I tried it out.... I really like it, couple questions.... is it normal for shutdown not to work? I chose to boot and show on local screen instead of vnc..... when I did that, it started fine, I messed around a little, then tried to shutdown... it said shutdown command failed or something similar.... then rebooted android..... and when you choose to boot on local screen, is this kicking android out so it's only linux, kind of like haret and booting android from winmo off sd? And last, is it possible for usbhost?

Edit2: I could barely see the text at the bottom of the hotboot screen that says to use log out feature to return to android... I did that instead of shutdown, there were no errors and it went to my android boot animation, then booted back to android just fine.....

Last edited:

Ramidalf

Jan 5, 2011
Its working well. Thanks .I have the same question as Diesburg does. One more how to make right click.

dan1j3l

May 23, 2010
Zagreb
So if I understand this right.... which I don't think I did at first..... this is basically the same thing as booting ubuntu and connecting to it with vnc, the ubuntu that is in another thread.... i ask because what I am looking for is usb host support.... which I don't believe is possible with the other ubuntu that boots in android.... and I think if I undestand this right... is not possible with this one either......i do appreciate the work done on this app a lot.... but to me, it's useless unless usbhost is supported because of tiny menus and buttons not being easily clickable with fingers..... so I want to use my wireless mouse that has a usb receiever......

edit: download finally finished, I tried it out.... I really like it, couple questions.... is it normal for shutdown not to work? I chose to boot and show on local screen instead of vnc..... when I did that, it started fine, I messed around a little, then tried to shutdown... it said shutdown command failed or something similar.... then rebooted android..... and when you choose to boot on local screen, is this kicking android out so it's only linux, kind of like haret and booting android from winmo off sd? And last, is it possible for usbhost?

Edit2: I could barely see the text at the bottom of the hotboot screen that says to use log out feature to return to android... I did that instead of shutdown, there were no errors and it went to my android boot animation, then booted back to android just fine.....

HBL actually shuts down all android processes (except init and some critical ones) and then switches to linux. It's normal for shutdown not to work right now, in future it will work but for now use log out to exit from linux. :) USB Host support for now is not possible without modified kernel, but i'm working on custom kernel with usb-host/normal mode switching.
I must admit i didn't have much time to work on this project so many things can be improved, and i hope in fallowing days/weeks i will have much needed time to work on it. So everything is still a "prototype"! :)

@alltome
99.99% of custom roms have init.d support, just check if you have init.d directory in /etc.

Robbie P

Feb 8, 2011
London
Hi managed to install HBL but when I try to start linux using local screen the screen just hangs on "loading linux..." for ages. Tried vnc but doesn't work either. it doesn't seem to start shutting down android because if I press hardkey back button the phone is normal.
tried changing "writtable" statuses on the mount screen, but no joy. Is this what you mean by " writable /system/bin folder", or must I use rootexplorer?
Many thanks

Kefir.net

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 14, 2008
Mogilev, Belarus
Hi managed to install HBL but when I try to start linux using local screen the screen just hangs on "loading linux..." for ages. Tried vnc but doesn't work either. it doesn't seem to start shutting down android because if I press hardkey back button the phone is normal.
tried changing "writtable" statuses on the mount screen, but no joy. Is this what you mean by " writable /system/bin folder", or must I use rootexplorer?
Many thanks

The same problem for me, stuck at "HTC HD2 ToolBox loading linux.." screen :(

I'm using MIUI Offician 1.5.20

dan1j3l

May 23, 2010
Zagreb
All those with problems starting HBL can you send me output of these few commands so i can get more info (use adb shell)

busybox ps | grep hbl

busybox mount

busybox ls -la /system/bin/hbl

busybox ls -la /etc/init.d

busybox df -h

Reactions: Superboy58

MoVal

Jun 12, 2008
Hello dan1j3l First of all I'd like to Thank you for your hard work and this cool app which has great potential... :D
now that being said, I'm also having some troubles :confused: like stated above from other users i managed to install HBL (i think, cause i got the success message when clicking install HBL) but when I try to start linux using local screen, the screen just hangs on "loading/booting linux..."
Below i attached the output from commands on adb shell

rauschkugl

Dec 23, 2009
when i try to start hbl my phone vibrates two times and restarts. but it starts already with the bootanimation. then it boots back to android.
i'm using ndt miui. busybox is installed and linux image is in the root of the sdcard in linux folder.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    After a long time it's a moment to realease HTC HD2 ToolBox app with HBL. Small app that will allow you to boot linux inside android, and display everything on screen or through VNC connection. ToolBox app is also redesigned and added some new functions.

In pack is barebone debian distro with xfce4 interface.

There is also posibility that this app and HBL will work on other phones like leo (desire, nexus one ...)

Everything else you need to know is in Readme file.

Bug reports or suggestions on this thread, i'll answer when i'll get some time.

Enjoy !!!

EDIT: I added Readme file to this post so lazy people can read everything before downloading pack, or asking silly questions! :p

EDIT 2: I'm currently working on support for sdcard roms and other non-working builds. Also i would like to mention that is possible to run ANY linux distro with HBL (with some modifications) or even to run another android rom!
    So consider this early versions only as "technology preview", more support and bug-fixes in next few days...

P.S Thank you all for your support ! :)

Download Link
    here are links
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24033707/disk1.EXE
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24033707/disk1.gsd
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24033707/disk2.gsd
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24033707/disk3.gsd
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24033707/disk4.gsd
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24033707/disk5.gsd

md5 of HTC HD2 ToolBox Pack (1).7z =5822c756437e44d5f44ca3d7c69e62d2
    I will remove if OP requests or if another person will mirror to free up my dropbox;)
    Good luck
    I didn't know this app is still used, project is not abandoned I just didn't have enough time to work on it. I'll create more universal version of this app (more android versions/os-es compatibility).
    For all ppl with bugs: It's important to have properly rooted build (with superuser apk) and to allow su privileges to ToolBox app. Also it's recommended to have newer busysbox installed.

In next few days i will work on new installation method, so i think this will solve most bugs. I will also modify ubuntu distro to load with HBL and write simple guide how to prepare any distro for HBL.

But for now i'm stuck at work! :(