Is the Xperia ZU comfortable to use?

Search This thread

kingofthebraves

Mar 11, 2010
Manila
Yes or No and why. I'm on the fence right now and really wanna know what it's like walking, sitting down and operating a huge phone.

Hardcore73

Dec 30, 2011
If you can operate a Note 2 you can operate this phone. It is a bit hard to use with one hand but you can with some getting used to it ;)

I would trade 1 handed use for screen any day. How often are you stuck with just 1 hand to do everything? 3% of the time maybe?

zergslayer69

Oct 16, 2012
I would imagine using it as a small tablet is comfortable, but are you guys using it as a phone by itself? As in holding it up to your head? Or do you pair a bluetooth device to make calls?

zergslayer69

Oct 16, 2012
Are there any issues with the other side hearing you? While on my note 2, if I'm not talking in normal/loud voice, the other person may complain they can't hear me very well (or maybe it's just this particular restaurant in specific). Since the XZU is so long, it'll go WAY past where your mouth is.

Rado_vr6

Sep 16, 2010
I don't have the largest hands and I can type in landscape with very little effort. It is hefty, but since it's so slim, you don't really notice. I've made a few phone calls and I'll admit, it looks strange, but doesn't feel unnatural.

Sent from my C6802 using xda app-developers app

Hardcore73

Dec 30, 2011
I can make calls with it no problem. No need for a bluetooth device at all unless you want one.

kingofthebraves

Mar 11, 2010
Manila
My biggest concern actually is using the phone as a music player. The audio jack is on thw side so it might be too tight on the pants. And while driving, it might be impossible to switch between tracks with one hand lol

I wish android implemented swipe gestures on the screen to wakeup. Its almost effortless and is an elegant solution especially if your phone is idle on a table top

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4

lex xander

Aug 7, 2013
Yes or No and why. I'm on the fence right now and really wanna know what it's like walking, sitting down and operating a huge phone.

Coming from iPhone 5, I need some adjustment to typing on this device. However, browsing websites and reading articles from Current and Buzzfeed is great, it has that book-reading feel to it. In fact, the big ass screen makes it a pleasure.

It's easy to hold with one hand but making phone calls made me feel awkward, and a little bit embarassed.

I feel like I made the right choice to return to android with this device. I wish it has tablet capacity battery though.

unk_damnation

Apr 11, 2013
My biggest concern actually is using the phone as a music player. The audio jack is on thw side so it might be too tight on the pants. And while driving, it might be impossible to switch between tracks with one hand lol

I wish android implemented swipe gestures on the screen to wakeup. Its almost effortless and is an elegant solution especially if your phone is idle on a table top

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4

The audio jack on the side is ridiculous - sony did this on XSP too (sony seems to be good at spoiling decent devices :D), especially on a "smartphone" this big :silly:

I'm also getting an XZU in couple of weeks, and if using audio cable while the phone is in my pocket proved impossible, I think the workaround is using the wireless bluetooth.. Sounds like it defeat the purpose of a fully-waterproofed audio jack, but some compromise must be made, huh :eek:

kkkok8051

First look I worry about the size, now I love the size. Inside my pocket no problem for walk, sit and run. I put my note 2 and zu together with my jean pocket or short paint is ok. No doubt.
One hand operate no problem for me. Because I m the big hand.
When incoming call also no problem, answer without bluetooth. Now I won't worry the size only how to root my device.

One more think is this device suitable for male better than female. When my wife hold it look like holding a M16. :p

Sent from my C6802 using xda premium

Reactions: kingofthebraves

Super Chimp

Nov 5, 2008
I found the Note 2 too awkward to use so I sent it back. If I had issues with that would this device be even worse?

LordManhattan

Oct 20, 2007
Kepler-34b
I don't have the ZU yet, so I can't really give you an answer, but what didn't you like about the Note 2? Was it too big?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 4

Super Chimp

Nov 5, 2008
I don't have the ZU yet, so I can't really give you an answer, but what didn't you like about the Note 2? Was it too big?

It was partly the size but more just its general handling, reaching across the screen even though I tried clustering stuff on one side of it. I had a Galaxy Note sometime prior & I got on with that reasonable well & though the Note 2 was bigger of screen I still thought I would be OK with it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    First look I worry about the size, now I love the size. Inside my pocket no problem for walk, sit and run. I put my note 2 and zu together with my jean pocket or short paint is ok. No doubt.
    One hand operate no problem for me. Because I m the big hand.
    When incoming call also no problem, answer without bluetooth. Now I won't worry the size only how to root my device.

One more think is this device suitable for male better than female. When my wife hold it look like holding a M16. :p

Sent from my C6802 using xda premium
    Here's a fresh preview video from Pocket Now. The Ultra Vs the Note 2

It was partly the size but more just its general handling, reaching across the screen even though I tried clustering stuff on one side of it. I had a Galaxy Note sometime prior & I got on with that reasonable well & though the Note 2 was bigger of screen I still thought I would be OK with it.

Well, i can't exactly tell you that the Ultra is a tiny device, and you should be ashamed of your petite hands, since that's not true. If you were struggling with the Note 2, then i wouldn't recommend the Ultra. I have the Note myself, and i'm used to its size after almost two years, so it's pretty "small" to me at this point. What you can do, like i did two days ago, is to get your hands on a ruler, a sheet of paper/cardboard and the Ultra's dimensions (google it) and cut it out. That way you'll be able to see how big it is in real life and if you can handle its size. I'll tell you this right now; it's huge - for some people. I can easily manage its size, but that's me and not you.

Now go ahead, Super chimp! Stretch out your long arms and funny looking chimp body and climb up to your drawer and get the ruler and paper!
    You mean rounded corners like every other device out there? No thanks. I think Sony's new design language is very stylish, classic and timeless. It'll still look good in five years, while the other spaceship looking devices today will look like **** in about a year, like the current line of Galaxy devices and LG phones. HTC gets a pass because of the materials they use, and the iPhone still looks fairly good, and it's also quite rectangular.

This is my opinion, so no fighting (please) :p

Phonedog's review of the ZU is out now.

Personally, i think PhoneDogs videos are kinda crappy. Reminds me of Ryan Seacrest reviewing phones :p

On top of that, the videos feel long but there is not really a lot covered.