[KERNEL] [JB 4.2/4.2.1] Stock kernel - CWM flashable

Search This thread

jlink38

Dec 30, 2010
Hello all,

I made this over at the GNex forums for a stock GNex 4.2/4.2.1 kernel... here it is for the Nexus 7 for those that accidentally flashed a 4.1.2 kernel or just want to get back to stock.

Flash at your own risk, should work just fine though!

UPDATED: Kernel should work now! Sorry about the bad zip before!

Attachments

• CWM_Grouper_JOP40C_Stock.zip
    4.9 MB · Views: 3,924
Last edited:

jazzespresso

Jul 24, 2012
NYC-USA
where were you couple of days ago when I was dealing with the issue - trying to flash stock kernel.....wish you posted this before.:p
I will save this just in case :silly:

thanks!!!

stonebear

Sep 26, 2011
I flashed LeanKernel and then wanted to go back to stock kernel before flashing latest Faux Kernel.

So I have just flashed your kernel but "about tablet" is telling me I still have LeanKernel installed?

Caliyork

Dec 22, 2011
Riverside, CA
If you can overclock then you're still on lean kernel. Either way, I'd suggest a reflash.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

stonebear

Sep 26, 2011
If you can overclock then you're still on lean kernel. Either way, I'd suggest a reflash.

It was definetely still on LeanKernel, I tried it twice.

Only issue could be that I was using an older version of TWRP that wasn't updated for 4.2, but it seemed to flash ok.

edit
Ok, tried it again now I have the updated TWRP and the same thing happens...i.e. nothing, it flashes in the normal way but changes nothing.

Last edited:

osm0sis

Senior Recognized Developer / Contributor
Mar 14, 2012
Halifax
GT-i9250
Google Nexus 4
This is all wrong. The boot.img inside does not match the one from the N7 nakasi factory image and the updater-script is written for the Galaxy Nexus.

Code:
"of=/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.0/by-name/boot");

N7 certainly doesn't run OMAP. Flash at your own risk, indeed. ;)

I urge you to take this down and make sure you know you've got it right before you put it up again. Only saving grace here is you were using the platform by-name method (which just plain won't work on the N7) instead of the actual mmc block names or you could have really messed up some peoples' devices.

Last edited:

jlink38

Dec 30, 2010
This is all wrong. The boot.img inside does not match the one from the N7 nakasi factory image and the updater-script is written for the Galaxy Nexus.

Code:

My mistake. I thought it would just transfer over. I will fix the link... Didn't realize when I tested it I already had the stock kernel on there. Gimme a minute to fix it!

OK should be fixed and good to go! Again, my apologies!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

jlink38

Dec 30, 2010
It was definetely still on LeanKernel, I tried it twice.

Only issue could be that I was using an older version of TWRP that wasn't updated for 4.2, but it seemed to flash ok.

edit
Ok, tried it again now I have the updated TWRP and the same thing happens...i.e. nothing, it flashes in the normal way but changes nothing.

Please try again... I have updated my zip and tested it by flashing a 4.1.2 kernel, having the device sit at the X for a few minutes without doing anything (to test a non-working kernel) then flashing my zip, and my N7 is back up and running again.

I am still learning about kernel stuff... sorry about any confusion!

evaradar

Aug 29, 2010
Toronto
Where can I find the stock kernel for the Galaxy Nexus running on 4.2? If you can redirect me to the link, I'll greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

cydef

Mar 28, 2012
This is JOP40C kernel for 4.2 but will it work on JOP40D 4.2.1 stock ROM please ?

annoyingduck

Aug 15, 2012
Boston, MA Area
Can anyone confirm if the kernel listed (jop40c) is the actual kernel used in the stock 4.2.1 system? The build is jop40d, and the question seams to be getting overlooked. I cannot find the stock jop40d 4.2.1 kernel anywhere, and just do not have any interest at this time in flashing the factory image/re-rooting etc. Any help would be appreciated.

khaytsus

Apr 8, 2008
Central Kentucky
Can anyone confirm if the kernel listed (jop40c) is the actual kernel used in the stock 4.2.1 system? The build is jop40d, and the question seams to be getting overlooked. I cannot find the stock jop40d 4.2.1 kernel anywhere, and just do not have any interest at this time in flashing the factory image/re-rooting etc. Any help would be appreciated.

This.. I was about to post, my N7 (16g, wifi) is JOP40D as well, not 40C.

Thinking about trying out a custom kernel, but want the stock to fall back on, as it's super stable.

bftb0

Feb 5, 2010
This.. I was about to post, my N7 (16g, wifi) is JOP40D as well, not 40C.

Thinking about trying out a custom kernel, but want the stock to fall back on, as it's super stable.

As it turns out, I built a "slightly rooted" JOP40D stock flash kit yesterday (mods to build.prop in boot.img, and su/SuperSU in system.img). I'm posting this reply from that.

I started with the Google JOP40D (grouper) distro to do that. I thought I was going to need to unpack the boot.img from the OP's .zip to do comparisons of the kernels (to answer your question) ... but it turns out that his boot.img has the same MD5 sig as the boot.img from Google's JOP40D... and the OP's updater-script merely flashes boot.img to the /boot partition.

That means one of two things: either the two successive Google releases (for grouper) had identical boot images (which implies identical kernels), or there is some mistake by the OP. (I don't have the 40C distro to check ... only picked up my N7 a few days ago.)

It should work in your specific case though, as you are on JOP40D.

In any event, flashing boot.img is way way more than just a kernel replacement. I haven't looked at it for a while, but I would suppose that Koush's kernel flasher is a much more appropriate technique for switching ONLY the kernel out from underneath an arbitrary ROM.

cheers

Last edited:
Reactions: annoyingduck

annoyingduck

Aug 15, 2012
Boston, MA Area
That's great info there. I'm searching for the simplicity of just flashing a kernel instead of pushing the entire boot image. Thanks for a step in clarifying this question ;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello all,

I made this over at the GNex forums for a stock GNex 4.2/4.2.1 kernel... here it is for the Nexus 7 for those that accidentally flashed a 4.1.2 kernel or just want to get back to stock.

Flash at your own risk, should work just fine though!

UPDATED: Kernel should work now! Sorry about the bad zip before!
    I extracted the stock boot.img from the google factory image - 4.2.1 JOP40D which you can find attached. Works perfectly on my Nexus 7 32GB Wifi.
    If you get time can you make a flash zip for the new 4.2.2 JDQ39?

Here is one for JDQ39.

Code:

I urge you to take this down and make sure you know you've got it right before you put it up again. Only saving grace here is you were using the platform by-name method (which just plain won't work on the N7) instead of the actual mmc block names or you could have really messed up some peoples' devices.
    Will it work on 4.1.2? I have AOKP on my device, would like to flash this, just need to check if it's safe...

Cheers

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Negative. This is the stock 4.2 kernel... I found the stock 4.1.2 kernel on XDA... Should be easy to find!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2