OTA Update! SW Version: 98.72.18-8

Search This thread

zadops

Mar 21, 2009
Why are y'all struggling so much with this.
1. You don't need to unroot.
2. You don't need to unfreeze anything.
3. RAZR_BLADE root method still works. You have to clear cache and data and force close Smart Actions before re-rooting.

I've done three Droid 4's already. All had different apps/services frozen via Titanium Backup and all were of course rooted. One (mine) got the SOAK at version .188 and the other two got the roll out at version .189.

Install update, clear Smart Actions and re-root with the razr_blade method .bat files.

Simple, works and reauthorizing Titanium Backup will refreeze all the apps you had frozen before the update.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

confirm! razr_blade method still works on my phone

qtipextra

Aug 21, 2009
What changed in this update? My phone's been telling me about this update for about a week and I keep telling it later until I find out whats in the newest update. Anything that I should "want" to update for?

rruleford

Feb 26, 2011
Thanks for the info. I'm not going to update because I don't want to mess with my root config.
Well its not too hard to backup it up with voodoo. If it doesn't work razrblade root still works just make sure to disable smart actions and clear data from it. Good luck

Sent from my XT894 using Tapatalk

berndblb

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
So I use voodoo to unroot I disabled superuser but the update starts and fails everytime, I don't know why, the little android starts to update, then just gets a red x through it...

Sent from my DROID4 using xda app-developers app

You probably froze or removed system apps or bloatware. The update is checking for "system integrity". If certain apps are missing it won't install. If you don't have a backup of your stock rom with all original apps present, you would have to
flash the full firmware,
root with RazrBlade,
install Safestrap,
make a backup of your system in Safestrap and put it somewhere safe for the next firmware update
Do whatever you like in Titanium Backup, install custom rom, etc

Those are the steps I had to take since I was sloppy backing up before removing bloatware.

tcrews

May 4, 2010
android.snkbitten.com
Frozen apps don't matter, removed apps do. Frozen apps are still there to be checked and patched but modified, replaced or removed apps will make an OTA fail.

I never unfreeze apps before an update as re-rooting and granting titanium backup root access again will mark all my previously frozen apps as frozen without having to manually do it.

Freezing an app doesn't touch the app, it tells the OS the app is not available. During the update the OS isn't loaded to even be told the app isn't available and once you do update and boot...the non-rooted OS can't be told those apps are frozen so they are now unfrozen.

berndblb

Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Frozen apps don't matter, removed apps do. Frozen apps are still there to be checked and patched but modified, replaced or removed apps will make an OTA fail.

I never unfreeze apps before an update as re-rooting and granting titanium backup root access again will mark all my previously frozen apps as frozen without having to manually do it.

Freezing an app doesn't touch the app, it tells the OS the app is not available. During the update the OS isn't loaded to even be told the app isn't available and once you do update and boot...the non-rooted OS can't be told those apps are frozen so they are now unfrozen.

You are right and I stand corrected. :D

Sent from my K00C using Tapatalk

Reactions: DarkMidnight

7April

Jan 17, 2010
RAZR_BLADE does not work on *-189 firmware update

Sorry, but the results speak for themselves. Starting with a fresh SBF, allowing the update to occur, then attempting the RAZR_BLADE method fails. That's the only known state I can analyze with any certainty. If someone can duplicate my steps and get a different result, please post your details.

--#

berndblb

Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Sorry, but the results speak for themselves. Starting with a fresh SBF, allowing the update to occur, then attempting the RAZR_BLADE method fails. That's the only known state I can analyze with any certainty. If someone can duplicate my steps and get a different result, please post your details.

--#

I did exactly the same thing: flashed the firmware, took the OTA, rooted with RAZR Blade in 10 minutes.
You will have to define "failed" because it is not the utility itself that's not working.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi, everybody!
    Several days ago i've got OTA update from VERIZON. You can download it from attach.

Changelog from official Motorola site
    I agreed and installed this update. After it i had 98.72.18-8 SW version.
    So, i have had the trouble: i couldn't got root rights by Dan Rosenberg exploit - Motorola fixed the way, we had root on previous JB 98.72.18 and 98.72.18-2 !

After analysing install-script file from OTA update and thinking around it i decided to downgrade with RSDLite to 98.72.18 and do some manipulations with SU binary:

Start point: 98.72.18-2 installed, rooted
    Code:
    adb kill-server
    adb start-server
    sleep 5
    adb shell su -c "mount -o remount,rw /system"

adb shell su -c "cd /system/bin/ && mv run-as run-as2 && mv /system/xbin/su run-as" #because of script do chmod on this file

adb reboot recovery
    #turn on Sideload manually in recovery
    adb sideload Blur_Version.98.72.182.XT894.Verizon.en.US.zip
    sleep 400
    adb kill-server
    adb start-serversleep 5
    adb shell run-as -c "mount -o remount,rw /system" #i used RUN-AS instead SU =)
    adb shell run-as -c "cd /system/bin/ && mv run-as /system/xbin/su && mv run-as2 run-as"
    adb shell su -c "chmod 6755 /system/bin/su"

this way gave me root rights for adb Shell, but applications still not getting root.
    Any ideas, how to fix?))

Sorry for mistakes, i've tryed to avoid it)
    Why are y'all struggling so much with this.
    1. You don't need to unroot.
    2. You don't need to unfreeze anything.
    3. RAZR_BLADE root method still works. You have to clear cache and data and force close Smart Actions before re-rooting.

I've done three Droid 4's already. All had different apps/services frozen via Titanium Backup and all were of course rooted. One (mine) got the SOAK at version .188 and the other two got the roll out at version .189.

Install update, clear Smart Actions and re-root with the razr_blade method .bat files.

Simple, works and reauthorizing Titanium Backup will refreeze all the apps you had frozen before the update.

Orrrrrrrr update su binaries and back up root with voodoo. Temp disable root install update then voodoo. Restore root and enjoy... now I can only say because this is what worked for me without all the extra hoopla

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
    Voodooo worked for me on latest O.T.A

Thanks for the heads up on the update breaking root. I'll have to wipe my phone and start fresh before I do the update......unless I go kitkat

Voodooo worked for me on latest O.T.A
    Im not 100% sure w/Superuser - its probably similar: in settings uncheck 'Enable Superuser'

Also - if anyone out there has info on helping me w/ my wifes D4 here (a couple posts up) I would appreciate it...

Looks like you'll have to wait for a new method to be released orrrrr if another d4 is available that's rooted try downloading voodoo on both devices and backup root on rooted device then copy backup file to unrooted phones voodoo directory and try to restore that way and don't forget to update su binaries

Sent from my XT894 using Tapatalk