Razr hd bricked.

Search This thread

meat-rack

Jul 26, 2012
I have a razr hd. I can boot into ap fastboot but thats it. Anything else it sits on red m logo. Cant boot into recovery or anything. I can flash xml using one of matts utility without any fails but rebooting just sits on red m.Please help.

bweN diorD

Jun 12, 2011
I have a razr hd. I can boot into ap fastboot but thats it. Anything else it sits on red m logo. Cant boot into recovery or anything. I can flash xml using one of matts utility without any fails but rebooting just sits on red m.Please help.

we are going to need a bit more information to possibly help you.
what did you do to get into this predicament?
are you locked or unlocked?
if locked, what was your system version prior to the issue?

Slickville

May 16, 2014
Blaine
we are going to need a bit more information to possibly help you.
what did you do to get into this predicament?
are you locked or unlocked?
if locked, what was your system version prior to the issue?

Same issue for me after OTA. Just processed the OTA as normal and phone will not climb out of the Red M loop. Non rooted, locked device. Attempted to utilize RSD with a few flash files and no luck. Very inexperienced with this. Sorry to be so dense, just looking for any direction possible.

bweN diorD

Jun 12, 2011
Same issue for me after OTA. Just processed the OTA as normal and phone will not climb out of the Red M loop. Non rooted, locked device. Attempted to utilize RSD with a few flash files and no luck. Very inexperienced with this. Sorry to be so dense, just looking for any direction possible.

i wish i could help you but without knowing exactly what the ota flashed before failing, any advice i give has the real possibility of making your phone worse or possibly perma bricked. the problem is you are locked and we dont yet have a fxz for kk.

that being said, if you still want to try and fix it against my advice i will tell you what to try but I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF THIS BRICKS YOUR PHONE OR MAKES IT WORSE IN ANY WAY.
download this xml file http://www.mediafire.com/view/p217akcxwmijcr7/VZW_XT926_4.1.2_9.8.1Q_62_VQW_MR-2_VQW_CFC_DOWN.xml
download the 9.30.1 ota from sbf droid devs
extract it to a folder and DELETE the xml file, then copy the one above into the folder
make sure you have the latest rsd, i think its 6.1.5 (not positive)
load the xml file into rsd and flash as usual

if this does not work, there is no way to fix your phone until the kk fxz is leaked, assuming this doesnt make it worse.

Reactions: Slickville

iBolski

Go here if you haven't applied the OTA yet and your bootloader is locked.

http://www.droidrzr.com/index.php/topic/45494-how-to-xt926-upgrade-to-kitkat-ota/

If you have applied the OTA and you're locked, don't do it. You'll have to wait for the FXZ to come out. Otherwise, it will brick even further.

If you have applied the OTA AND your bootloader is UNLOCKED, then you can use the tool to flash back to stock 9.30.1.

Grimaldus3320

May 19, 2014
I too am bricked. unrooted and locked. Ran the ota and when it reset, it now hangs at the red M. Can get into fast boot and recovery. Tried factory restore and wipe cache. Once I did that my phone now randomly boots to andy all opened up, waiting for me to press the buttons to go into recovery. If I leave it like that, it just reboots after a time and does it all over again :rolleyes:. I'm going to assume the only way forward is the xfz file? Any body have an idea of when that might become available and where about I can pick it up? I.E. which forum might have it and will it be a new thread?

iBolski

I too am bricked. unrooted and locked. Ran the ota and when it reset, it now hangs at the red M. Can get into fast boot and recovery. Tried factory restore and wipe cache. Once I did that my phone now randomly boots to andy all opened up, waiting for me to press the buttons to go into recovery. If I leave it like that, it just reboots after a time and does it all over again :rolleyes:. I'm going to assume the only way forward is the xfz file? Any body have an idea of when that might become available and where about I can pick it up? I.E. which forum might have it and will it be a new thread?

This has been posted many times. When installing the OTA manually via recovery, a few things happen:

1. The first time you apply the OTA in recovery, it replaces the recovery with a new recovery and reboots the phone. This new recovery requires a new key combo to get into it. The new key combo is vol-up + power.

So, after you attempt to apply the OTA the first time, you need to be around so when it reboots into the Andy screen, you can use the new key combo. Otherwise, if you leave it alone, it will reboot and then you'll see the red Moto logo which means you'll have to reboot the phone and then hold vol-up + power to get the boot menu and select "Recovery" and then go to the next step.
  2. After getting back into the new recovery, you must apply the OTA again so it can continue to upgrade your phone. After this, you'll be upgraded to Kit Kit.

Grimaldus3320

May 19, 2014
This has been posted many times. When installing the OTA manually via recovery, a few things happen:

1. The first time you apply the OTA in recovery, it replaces the recovery with a new recovery and reboots the phone. This new recovery requires a new key combo to get into it. The new key combo is vol-up + power.

So, after you attempt to apply the OTA the first time, you need to be around so when it reboots into the Andy screen, you can use the new key combo. Otherwise, if you leave it alone, it will reboot and then you'll see the red Moto logo which means you'll have to reboot the phone and then hold vol-up + power to get the boot menu and select "Recovery" and then go to the next step.
  2. After getting back into the new recovery, you must apply the OTA again so it can continue to upgrade your phone. After this, you'll be upgraded to Kit Kit.

Right. By reading your earlier posts instructions I got into recovery. That is how I was able to factory reset and wipe cache. I'm talking about AFTER I did all that, instead of just being hung at red m screen, it hangs for a few seconds, then flickers, hangs a few more seconds, and then goes into andy screen. If I don't touch it for a few minutes, it reboots, and that same process starts over, ending with the andy screen again...Its like it WANTS me to be in recovery to fix it :p.

I noticed you also said to others that us lot are pretty much screwed until the fxz file is out, which I assume is this OTA as a zip so we can flash with recovery? Any idea when that will be coming out? and where should I look for it once its out?

Heck, because I was unrooted and locked and it was the official OTA from verizon, maybe I should go in to them and demand they replace my phone with the moto x. Though, I rather liked my razr hd and don't quite wanna give up on it...

iBolski

Right. By reading your earlier posts instructions I got into recovery. That is how I was able to factory reset and wipe cache. I'm talking about AFTER I did all that, instead of just being hung at red m screen, it hangs for a few seconds, then flickers, hangs a few more seconds, and then goes into andy screen. If I don't touch it for a few minutes, it reboots, and that same process starts over, ending with the andy screen again...Its like it WANTS me to be in recovery to fix it :p.

I noticed you also said to others that us lot are pretty much screwed until the fxz file is out, which I assume is this OTA as a zip so we can flash with recovery? Any idea when that will be coming out? and where should I look for it once its out?

Heck, because I was unrooted and locked and it was the official OTA from verizon, maybe I should go in to them and demand they replace my phone with the moto x. Though, I rather liked my razr hd and don't quite wanna give up on it...

No, the FXZ is the full kit-kat image, not an update like the OTA. The FXZ can be used to flash your phone back to full stock, whether you are locked or not. If you are locked, then you can only flash the version that is currently on your phone or newer. You cannot flash back to a previous version unless your bootloader is unlocked.

The ota is used to only update a previous version to the current version, in this case from JB to KK, but once it's applied, you cannot apply it again since you are already upgraded to that version. It's only an upgrade, not a full image like an FXZ.

Grimaldus3320

May 19, 2014
No, the FXZ is the full kit-kat image, not an update like the OTA. The FXZ can be used to flash your phone back to full stock, whether you are locked or not. If you are locked, then you can only flash the version that is currently on your phone or newer. You cannot flash back to a previous version unless your bootloader is unlocked.

The ota is used to only update a previous version to the current version, in this case from JB to KK, but once it's applied, you cannot apply it again since you are already upgraded to that version. It's only an upgrade, not a full image like an FXZ.

I see, makes sense. Every days a school day I suppose. Thanks for the info. Guess I have to decide to either wait for the FXZ or go to verizon and see if they can get me a new phone.

al2fast

Dec 17, 2010
Same thing happened to my wife, completely stock now stuck at red m. After calling verizon they suggested the factory reset which just gives you a boot to dead android guy to get into recovery on every boot. Then after a couple minutes just reboots and does the same thing, stuck in a loop. They then said it's not their software, rather Motorola's, so Verizon's only recourse is to sell me an overpriced refurb or upgrade to the edge plan. Screw them. I said unacceptable and they gave me a number for Motorola. Moto said that they put in a request to extend my factory warranty because it was the software update that caused the issue and they will let me know tomorrow. I understand stuff happens, but this is not acceptable when their harassing update causes thee issue. I knew I should've unlocked the boot loader on it when I had the chance.

iBolski

Same thing happened to my wife, completely stock now stuck at red m. After calling verizon they suggested the factory reset which just gives you a boot to dead android guy to get into recovery on every boot. Then after a couple minutes just reboots and does the same thing, stuck in a loop. They then said it's not their software, rather Motorola's, so Verizon's only recourse is to sell me an overpriced refurb or upgrade to the edge plan. Screw them. I said unacceptable and they gave me a number for Motorola. Moto said that they put in a request to extend my factory warranty because it was the software update that caused the issue and they will let me know tomorrow. I understand stuff happens, but this is not acceptable when their harassing update causes thee issue. I knew I should've unlocked the boot loader on it when I had the chance.

Then you're almost there. At the "dead android" screen, press and hold vol up and then press power and then release both buttons. This gets you into recovery.

At this point, reinstall the OTA via the recovery so it can start into the 2nd stage and then you'll be done.

al2fast

Dec 17, 2010
Then you're almost there. At the "dead android" screen, press and hold vol up and then press power and then release both buttons. This gets you into recovery.

At this point, reinstall the OTA via the recovery so it can start into the 2nd stage and then you'll be done.

I don't know how to reinstall the OTA via stock recovery. I tried it do the install update.zip option and nothing happened. Any pointers would be appreciated.

iBolski

I don't know how to reinstall the OTA via stock recovery. I tried it do the install update.zip option and nothing happened. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Did you download it to your phone? If so, it needs to be on your external SD card and you choose the option to install from there. You'll have to navigate to where you stored it on the external SD card.

If you didn't download it, then you should be able to push it via ADB PUSH when in the recovery. Just hook up your phone to your PC and do it that way. Just obtain the OTA from this thread. Somewhere, someone provided a link to it. Download it to your PC and then do an adb push to the external SD card of the OTA and then install it that way.

Reactions: al2fast

al2fast

Dec 17, 2010
Did you download it to your phone? If so, it needs to be on your external SD card and you choose the option to install from there. You'll have to navigate to where you stored it on the external SD card.

If you didn't download it, then you should be able to push it via ADB PUSH when in the recovery. Just hook up your phone to your PC and do it that way. Just obtain the OTA from this thread. Somewhere, someone provided a link to it. Download it to your PC and then do an adb push to the external SD card of the OTA and then install it that way.

Thanks for the tips. I must have done something wrong when I installed adb, I could not see the phone with the adb devices command, yet I could see the phone in the Matt utility as well as in RSD Lite. I'll give it a shot again, can't hurt. Called Moto and they escalated it and are sending me a replacement device.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    6.1.6 is the newest RSDLite I've seen.

i wish i could help you but without knowing exactly what the ota flashed before failing, any advice i give has the real possibility of making your phone worse or possibly perma bricked. the problem is you are locked and we dont yet have a fxz for kk.

that being said, if you still want to try and fix it against my advice i will tell you what to try but I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF THIS BRICKS YOUR PHONE OR MAKES IT WORSE IN ANY WAY.
    download this xml file http://www.mediafire.com/view/p217akcxwmijcr7/VZW_XT926_4.1.2_9.8.1Q_62_VQW_MR-2_VQW_CFC_DOWN.xml
    download the 9.30.1 ota from sbf droid devs
    extract it to a folder and DELETE the xml file, then copy the one above into the folder
    make sure you have the latest rsd, i think its 6.1.5 (not positive)
    load the xml file into rsd and flash as usual

if this does not work, there is no way to fix your phone until the kk fxz is leaked, assuming this doesnt make it worse.