Seriously?! anyone get the Nexus 7 to work without wifi?

Search This thread

gijosh28

Oct 20, 2010
Short Story: Is there anyway to make the nexus start working without WiFi?

Long Story: Sherman, set the Way-Back Machine for about a month ago. So there I was the day of the Google I/O conference refreshing the google play store over and over again until the moment I could order my Nexus 7. Needless to say I ordered it the minute I could. Today I recieved my Nexus 7. It took a while to get here. I picked it up from the mailroom three hours ago. I let it charge and turned it on. First screen asks for my country. Second screen says searching for WiFi. And there I sit because , I don't have WiFi. Is there a workaround for this? Or do I have a $250 paperweight, until I get home later this year?

I can't be the only one with this problem.

Resources available to me:
1) I have a laptop that is connected to very slow internet (ethernet, not wireless). It has USB ports, but I don't think theres a way to share internet through USB. I can not attach a wifi router to this network.
2) I have WiFi where I sleep, but I need to open a browser and put in a username and password to log in. I don't think that will work because I can't get to the web browser part of this.

My last resort is to mail it back home to have family activate it and then mail it back to me. Kind of absurd. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Josh

EDIT************
ATTN TROLLS: before replying and looking stupid, make sure to read the whole thread. The problem has been resolved. I even explained how I resolved it for other people with potentially the same problem. I have also clearly explained why I bought the Nexus 7. A tablet is a tablet. Without WiFi it still lets me read books, play games, do Sudoku puzzles, and watch episodes that I bring back on a USB thumb drive. I used it to replace my Nook Color running CM7. I have enough WiFi back in my room to browse the web and check my email.

Thanks to everyone that offered constructive help.
To the trolls, I hope you get pushed down a slide of razors into a pool of acid.

Last edited:

xopher.hunter

Mar 21, 2011
Ventura
Does the laptop ha e wifi, if so you can share the wired internet connection wirelessly via connnectify

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

TaintedByte

May 24, 2009
Well, if you are rooted (should be able to root without setting up) then you can just kill the 'setup', process through adb on your pc. You could also try to flash a ROM without that set up process. Like CM :)

I thought this when I was setting up my tablet and wondered when would happen if someone didn't have wi fi available immediately.

Sent from my Nexus 7

hullbay

Jul 7, 2012
FL
Well, if you are rooted (should be able to root without setting up) then you can just kill the 'setup', process through adb on your pc. You could also try to flash a ROM without that set up process. Like CM :)

I thought this when I was setting up my tablet and wondered when would happen if someone didn't have wi fi available immediately.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Or this. But hey, go grab a coffee, then root.

X

xenon1024

I had wifi and it still couldn't detect it when i turned it on! I panicked and i sat there at the first screen bevause there was no option to manually enter wifi settings. My network has secure and ssid off, but couldn't even see neighbours (ssid on).

But I tethered insecure net from phone to get past first screen. Should be able to borrow a friend's internet this way, it doesn't download much.

I have no idea how you plan to use the n7 w/o wifi, at least during setup, it is in terms of service...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

cwoggon

Feb 2, 2012
Not sure if this still works, but you used to be able to bypass activation by touching all four corners of the device. Top left, top right, bottom right, and bottom left.

gijosh28

Oct 20, 2010
I tried the four corners thing. It didn't work. Unfortunately there are no McDonalds or Starbucks near me. I only have these two networks to work with. I bough it to replace my Nook (CM7), which I use to watch episodes of TV shows. I bring the mSD card to work, and put episodes on it, then bring it back to the room and watch them till I fall asleep. With the Nexus I was intent on copying my episodes over through the ethernet cable by day, and taking it back to the room to watch them at night. I guess I'll have to keep watching my shows on my Nook. Sucks. New toy is useless.

gijosh28

Oct 20, 2010
Does the laptop ha e wifi, if so you can share the wired internet connection wirelessly via connnectify

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

This would work. Unfortunately I can't connect anything wireless to this network. I might try to sneak this solution. This is the second to last resort. Thanks for the advice/idea!

Sent from my Nexus 7

I haven't seen any instructions on how to root the device prior to initializing it. Is it possible?

Thanks,
Josh

djkinetic

Feb 26, 2011
Chicago
I tried the four corners thing. It didn't work. Unfortunately there are no McDonalds or Starbucks near me. I only have these two networks to work with. I bough it to replace my Nook (CM7), which I use to watch episodes of TV shows. I bring the mSD card to work, and put episodes on it, then bring it back to the room and watch them till I fall asleep. With the Nexus I was intent on copying my episodes over through the ethernet cable by day, and taking it back to the room to watch them at night. I guess I'll have to keep watching my shows on my Nook. Sucks. New toy is useless.

I take it u can't skip the sign in like on phones, if u have no way of getting on a wifi network, you can possibly try to kill the setup process via adb...its not really a google oversight, its 2012 WiFi networks are rather easy to find.

gijosh28

Oct 20, 2010
I have no cell phone coverage here. Although I might be able to use my cell phone to connect to the wireless back at the room, use the cell phone web browser to log on, then tether it to my Nexus. That might work. I'll try that tonight.

V0odo0

Aug 28, 2011
Short Story: Is there anyway to make the nexus start working without WiFi?

Long Story: Sherman, set the Way-Back Machine for about a month ago. So there I was the day of the Google I/O conference refreshing the google play store over and over again until the moment I could order my Nexus 7. Needless to say I ordered it the minute I could. Today I recieved my Nexus 7. It took a while to get here. I picked it up from the mailroom three hours ago. I let it charge and turned it on. First screen asks for my country. Second screen says searching for WiFi. And there I sit because , I don't have WiFi. Is there a workaround for this? Or do I have a $250 paperweight, until I get home later this year?

I can't be the only one with this problem.

Resources available to me:
1) I have a laptop that is connected to very slow internet (ethernet, not wireless). It has USB ports, but I don't think theres a way to share internet through USB. I can not attach a wifi router to this network.
2) I have WiFi where I sleep, but I need to open a browser and put in a username and password to log in. I don't think that will work because I can't get to the web browser part of this.

My last resort is to mail it back home to have family activate it and then mail it back to me. Kind of absurd. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Josh

use a WIFI dongle to attach to your laptop. make it a hotspot using "connectify" software and connect your nexus to it. your laptop must have internet access.

X

xenon1024

setup aside, how did you plan on managing files etc on the n7 long term without wifi?

Seems there are other products more suited to your needs if you aren't going to use any online or network features.

Sent from my Nexus S using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Go to Starbucks or McDonalds, Lol
    Even if you fixed your problem you must be a total moron to buy a tablet and not have internet at home....

and if usa had attacked omaha in nebraska instead of afganistan or iraq,soldiers would have had no problem to find wifi.

Look another totally stupid ****ing idiot. This guy couldn't even read this page where it says that I use it at home like normal. It's only while deployed that I had trouble getting on the internet. Moreover, if you read the thread you would see that I DO have wifi. It just required me to log on first. Then it turned out that IT WORKED. Is stupidity contagious? I hope your testicles get struck by lightning. We clearly need some chlorine in the gene pool.
    OK I HAVE TRIED TO BE NICE. THE REAL ****ING MORONS ARE THE ONES WHO COMMENT ON A 5 PAGE THREAD WITHOUT READING IT. HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO SAY THAT IT IS WORKING? HOLY CRAP! THE STUPIDEST PEOPLE ARE THE ONES WHO ARE INTIMATING THAT I AM STUPID FOR BUYING THIS TABLET. READ THE ****ING THREAD. IT EXPLAINS (SEVERAL TIMES) WHY I BOUGHT THE TABLET. IT ALSO SAYS THAT IT IS WORKING. MOREOVER IT EXPLAINS HOW I GOT IT WORKING IN CASE SOMEONE ELSE WITH A SIMILAR PROBLEM, HAPPENS UPON THIS THREAD.

IT IS WORKING
    IT IS WORKING
    IT IS WORKING

I promise you, I use my Nexus 7 every night to read books, play a couple games, do sudoku puzzles, and most importantly watch episodes. Currently I am watching Tosh.0 and Person of Interest.

Hopefully this will preclude the next moron from replying with how stupid I am for buying a WiFi only tablet. Good god. Will someone with admin rights please lock this thread.

For the people who offered constructive help, thank you. For the trolls that had nothing better to do, than not read a thread and make an unhelpful comment about me buying a WiFi tablet STFU (you should be sterilized and taken out of the gene pool).

Thanks,
    Josh
    I can't believe people are responding to Google forcing a wifi connection to merely get into the damn tablet they'd just bought by suggesting people use dev tools or leave the house and seek open wifi. Yeah, Google is going to take down Apple and Amazon with that level of user unfriendliness.

I have MAC filtering on my router and was aghast to see that I had to shut it off in order to let the N7 connect so I could get into the properties and see what the fraking device MAC was. Whose stupid idea was this? I've never heard of the tapping corners bypass either. They shouldn't require a connection to look your device at all. So dumb!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda app-developers app