[Q] T-Mobile Note II is only partially rooted.

Search This thread

J3D1mineTR1X

Jun 20, 2014
Hi All,
Recently I tried to root my T-Mobile Note II running stock 4.3 with a few of the one ctick root apps. I've tried framaroot (no go), towelroot (not supported) rootmaster (vRoot) I think that's where the partial root came into play. It installed an app called kinguser (that says I'm not rooted WTH!). It also installed it as a system app, so now I can't uninstall it. I installed supersu which has to update binaries, but it won't disable Knox. Rootchecker also says I'm rooted somewhat. The 1st paragraph under congratulations says I'm rooted. Everything else says no I'm not. User and group ID is not returning or something to that effect. When I learned about the one click apps I thought it was a Godsend because I don't have a computer. I've tried so many things to try to get around Knox, nothing is working. Installed it then deleted it like I read somewhere, tried the su pm com.sec.knox.seandroid on terminal emulator still no go. I even tried to play around with the commands for knox on terminal emulator atill no go. I don't know if its something security related with the phone or what. I used towelroot on my girlfriends Sgh t999L with stock 4.3 and it worked. So now I'm really pissed! I've searched the web for anything like this and couldn't find nothing. I know I'm not the only one this has happened to. I used some app cant remember the name, but it did ask me to use root access for something. But it wasn't through supersu. Plus it wasn't a root type of app so I refused access. I'm trying remember everything before I post this, dont wanna post it and remember something right after I do. I know its a lot of great minds on hear hopefully someone will be able to help me out with this situation. Thanks in advance XDA members..

PS. Does anyone know what modstring. I can use to maybe get towelroot to work? Or of any other terminal emulator commands for knox.

Last edited:

Coug76

Feb 27, 2011
East of Seattle
Just Odin flash the root66 tar from MrRobinson. You'll end up rooted and running fine...

Hastily spouted for your befuddlement

J3D1mineTR1X

Jun 20, 2014
Just Odin flash the root66 tar from MrRobinson. You'll end up rooted and running fine...

Thanks for the prompt response Coug76. I read several of the route66 posts. It appears that this method is for the sgh t999 variants. I was able to acquire root access with towelroot for this phone. I didn't find any mention of the note 2 sgh t889 in any of those posts. I know that you are supposed to use methods for the particular model. I don't know if this is a universal method or what. I ran a different rootchecker app and it says that I have root but not root access. I understand the gist of that, but it isn't helping my situation. Is it safe to use this method for my phone, or could you please recommend something else that I can use? It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for the quick response. Awaiting your reply. Thanks in advance.

Coug76

Feb 27, 2011
East of Seattle
Thanks for the prompt response Coug76. I read several of the route66 posts. It appears that this method is for the sgh t999 variants. I was able to acquire root access with towelroot for this phone. I didn't find any mention of the note 2 sgh t889 in any of those posts. I know that you are supposed to use methods for the particular model. I don't know if this is a universal method or what. I ran a different rootchecker app and it says that I have root but not root access. I understand the gist of that, but it isn't helping my situation. Is it safe to use this method for my phone, or could you please recommend something else that I can use? It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for the quick response. Awaiting your reply. Thanks in advance.

There is a sticky in the Development Section.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1975560

Coug76

Feb 27, 2011
East of Seattle
:good: :eek: :D :D :eek: :good: Thanks for your assistance and pointing me in the right direction. Since I don't have a computer, I'll have to wait til Monday to try this at the library. Thanks again, very much appreciated...

While I prefer pc Odin, mobile Odin from Chainfire should take care of you. The only thing it won't flash in a Samsung tar is the bootloader. You already have the mk7 bootloader so you should be fine.

Reactions: J3D1mineTR1X

J3D1mineTR1X

Jun 20, 2014
Thanks again Coug76, your help is both needed and appropriated. I just purchased and tried [Root] Mobile Odin Pro. First time it asked for superuser permission. The next few times it gave me an "couldn't detect phone model" error message. So, apparently I need superuser permission to run the app (I'm not sure) :( :mad: :(. I got a refund after a few tries..

Sent from my SGH-T889 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

J3D1mineTR1X

Jun 20, 2014
LOL! Thanks again my friend. I see there's wisdom in your words. Quick question: If mobile Odin ever comes around again to its former glory. What would be the steps to take to install what's needed? Once again thanks. As you see I'm still not rooted but I still purchased the XDA Premium 4 app. Mainly because of my correspondence with you my friend. Thanks again, can't say that it enough. You've given me hope when I thought all hope was lost.
*What good is knowledge, if its not to be shared* Read that on the back of a cereal box, naw I didn't. LOL!

os2baba

May 4, 2009
Did you manage to get it rooted?

I can't get my Note 2 rooted either. I must have rooted over 50 devices over the last 5 years and never ran into so much difficultly. I have tried the root66 method, various other links around. None of them work. I was on stock 4.3 as well. And I think that's the problem. These are very old links from 2 years ago and I think since I already had 4.3, I can't just go straight to a rooted 4.3. For me, the root only works on the first boot. The next time I boot, root is gone. I have tried different versions of SuperUser - 1.91, 1.99r4, 2.01. Nothing's worked. Tried installing superuser zip from TWRP and CWM. Same problem.

mattlowry

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Dec 2, 2011
Valley View, TX
I can't get my Note 2 rooted either. I must have rooted over 50 devices over the last 5 years and never ran into so much difficultly. I have tried the root66 method, various other links around. None of them work. I was on stock 4.3 as well. And I think that's the problem. These are very old links from 2 years ago and I think since I already had 4.3, I can't just go straight to a rooted 4.3. For me, the root only works on the first boot. The next time I boot, root is gone. I have tried different versions of SuperUser - 1.91, 1.99r4, 2.01. Nothing's worked. Tried installing superuser zip from TWRP and CWM. Same problem.

did you remove knox? I have heard of it messing with root

os2baba

May 4, 2009
When you open supersu app does it give an error?

Yes. I get a message

There is no SU binary installed, and SuperSU cannot install it. This is a problem!
If you just upgraded to Android 4.3, you need to manually re-root - consult the relevant forums for your device!

This is after the next boot. The first boot works.

Edit: I tried a number of links to try rooting.

Starting with and repeatedly trying

I just found this one you started.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2564430

Should I try that one? I presume it's different from the one in the first link. I'll have to reset the phone and all my settings. But at this point, I'm ready to try anything. I don't want to mess with a different kernel from your link on my current installation. BTW, how would I know what the current bootloader on my phone is and whether it's the latest? I was on Stock unrooted 4.3 when I started. I'm now on 4.3 (supposedly) rooted stock ROM from the first link.

Last edited:

J3D1mineTR1X

Jun 20, 2014
Yes. I get a message

There is no SU binary installed, and SuperSU cannot install it. This is a problem!
If you just upgraded to Android 4.3, you need to manually re-root - consult the relevant forums for your device!

Should I try that one? I presume it's different from the one in the first link. I'll have to reset the phone and all my settings. But at this point, I'm ready to try anything. I don't want to mess with a different kernel from your link on my current installation. BTW, how would I know what the current bootloader on my phone is and whether it's the latest? I was on Stock unrooted 4.3 when I started. I'm now on 4.3 (supposedly) rooted stock ROM from the first link.

I'm in the same boat. I'm partially rooted myself. Im the one posted the question. I tried to root my T-Mobile Note II running stock 4.3 today with heimdall (think that's spelled right) for mac. Files were uploaded phone rebooted, no root. I got my partial root from a one click apk called vRoot or rootmaster. I have root but not root access. I've never had the luxury of being rooted at all. I've tried different things to disable knox with no luck. I really think samsung and tmobile did something extra with that update. Don't understand how dam near every other phone with 4.3 can be rooted. But this one presents a slew of problems. My rootchecker pro reads exactly like yours. Except my group and user ID's don't return anything. Other than that it's word for word everywhere else. If you come up with a solution please let me know, or rather share. I don't have a computer so it's hard for me to try anything. Good luck and thanks in advance if you get it done. Thanks again.

J3D1mineTR1X

Jun 20, 2014
The bootloader info is located in the about device area. Mine is T889UVUCMK7. Yours should be the same. Only difference between my phone and yours is mine started out on 4.1.2. Another thing with my phone is: whenever I try to load something through recovery mode by way of upload by external sd card. I always get a red "E" signature error and it doesn't put it on my phone. Hopefully the bootloader info is right. Someone with a bit more understanding about this stuff passed it on to me. My next attempt was going to be with route66, guess I don't have to try it out now being as though our situations are so similar.

renoturx

Dec 18, 2013
Phoenix
Yes. I get a message

What version of TWRP are you using?

os2baba

May 4, 2009
Yes. I get a message

Finally got it working. http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=54157011&postcount=663

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    :good: :eek: :D :D :eek: :good: Thanks for your assistance and pointing me in the right direction. Since I don't have a computer, I'll have to wait til Monday to try this at the library. Thanks again, very much appreciated...

While I prefer pc Odin, mobile Odin from Chainfire should take care of you. The only thing it won't flash in a Samsung tar is the bootloader. You already have the mk7 bootloader so you should be fine.