Have you rooted your G3 yet?

Search This thread

tu3218

Apr 14, 2009
Just wanted to see if everyone is diving in and rooting their devices or not. As of right now, I'm still running stock. Haven't found much of a reason to root but would be to nice to have wifi tether and adblock. With one click root, I'm so tempted but still holding off in case any updates. So, have you gone ahead and rooted your new G3 yet?

bobcat987

Mar 31, 2011
I rooted mine specifically to disable updates. I'm not so much afraid of root exploits getting patched as I am any potential bootloader exploits being patched. I came from the galaxy s3, which got a bootloader update mid way through that was never cracked, so I'm little worried about that if I wait to long I can never unlock the bootloader. So far I've installed titanium backup, root explorer, and the kit kat sd card fix (no need for hotspot hack since I don't have unlimited data). I'm holding off on anything too major until the bootloader is unlocked and I can do a nandroid first.

oadam11

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 19, 2013
plus.google.com
I rooted the day I got my g3. I rooted and installed custom roms on my g2 and can't wait to do the same on my g3

Sent from my LG G3

TCPDump

May 26, 2014
Central US
I actually got a demo model from VZW, rooted that one, just to see how hard it was going to be, When I got my permanent one a few days later I rooted it out of the box, before installing anything else.

bkhorn

Oct 9, 2007
Easton, PA
Had my G3 a couple of days before I rooted it. It was so simple to do. one of the 1st things I did was get it setup as a hotspot.

tu3218

Apr 14, 2009
Had my G3 a couple of days before I rooted it. It was so simple to do. one of the 1st things I did was get it setup as a hotspot.

which method are you using for the hotspot? That's a main reason I'd want to root but I believe the method in the dev. section, based on reading peoples comments, it's still not that reliable and requires extra steps to get it working.

I want to root just don't want to screw up my brand new phone. I've always rooted my phones but past couple phones I didn't cause they were locked down so I'm weary to jump back into it lol Everyone using stump root? Seems pretty straightforward with that method for us Verizon guys.

tech_head

Just wanted to see if everyone is diving in and rooting their devices or not. As of right now, I'm still running stock. Haven't found much of a reason to root but would be to nice to have wifi tether and adblock. With one click root, I'm so tempted but still holding off in case any updates. So, have you gone ahead and rooted your new G3 yet?

You honestly asked that on XDA???
The question is not "who rooted", but who didn't root?

Me?
1. Out of the box.
2. Activated enough with no SIM to get to ADB
3. Root.
4. Turn off and remove bloat (includes de-activating OTA).
5. Now activate normally and use phone.

My phones go from box to root in under 5 minutes.

Reactions: Jewveeski

bkhorn

Oct 9, 2007
Easton, PA
which method are you using for the hotspot? That's a main reason I'd want to root but I believe the method in the dev. section, based on reading peoples comments, it's still not that reliable and requires extra steps to get it working.

I want to root just don't want to screw up my brand new phone. I've always rooted my phones but past couple phones I didn't cause they were locked down so I'm weary to jump back into it lol Everyone using stump root? Seems pretty straightforward with that method for us Verizon guys.

I went off of this: http://xdaforums.com/verizon-lg-g3/development/mod-verizon-g3-hotspotmod-g2-apk-t2852152 but with a twist after I read the directions. I used Root Explorer to change the names and copy files. Post #15 helped me a lot.
1, download HotspotProvisionVsG3Mod.apk from 1st post and rename to HotspotProvision.apk
2, search for HotspotProvision.apk and HotspotProvision.odex in /system/app. I added .bak to both of them.
3, now copy HotspotProvision.apk that you remaned to /system/app. Change permission's to rw-r-r-
4, reboot
5, JOY

tu3218

Apr 14, 2009

Me?
1. Out of the box.
3. Root.

True. But I'm sure there are a fair share of people who don't root and just follow all the other stuff. Did you use stump root to root?

I went off of this: http://xdaforums.com/verizon-lg-g3/development/mod-verizon-g3-hotspotmod-g2-apk-t2852152 but with a twist after I read the directions. I used Root Explorer to change the names and copy files. Post #15 helped me a lot.
1, download HotspotProvisionVsG3Mod.apk from 1st post and rename to HotspotProvision.apk
2, search for HotspotProvision.apk and HotspotProvision.odex in /system/app. I added .bak to both of them.
3, now copy HotspotProvision.apk that you remaned to /system/app. Change permission's to rw-r-r-
4, reboot
5, JOY

Great thanks! If I root, I'll be sure to follow your instructions.

Mistertac

Oct 22, 2013
Springfield, Ma
True. But I'm sure there are a fair share of people who don't root and just follow all the other stuff. Did you use stump root to root?

Great thanks! If I root, I'll be sure to follow your instructions.
I also used IORoot and it's very easy, Stump wasn't out when I rooted mine but from what I've read Stump is super easy and reliable.

I walked out of Best But, phone activated and Battery at like 70% and hopped on my laptop which I had with me and rooted the phone right there in the parking lot so that I could freeze System Updates right away.

Although Verizon is so slow with OTA updates anyways I really could have waited lol

Root that thing then remove all the Verizon junk and use Greenify... You'll be even more happy with how your G3 runs after doing that and it's quite easy to do.

- Tapatalked from the G3

tu3218

Apr 14, 2009
Becoming more tempted everyday lol My only fear is if the bootloader unlock takes longer than expected, and no recovery access is created so if Verizon releases an update, even if someone pulls the update we won't be able to install because our modded phones and of course, no rom due to no recovery. Maybe I'm thinking too much into it. It's been awhile for me.

bobcat987

Mar 31, 2011
Becoming more tempted everyday lol My only fear is if the bootloader unlock takes longer than expected, and no recovery access is created so if Verizon releases an update, even if someone pulls the update we won't be able to install because our modded phones and of course, no rom due to no recovery. Maybe I'm thinking too much into it. It's been awhile for me.
The flip side of that is the first update could lock out all root methods and any potential bootloader exploits. There are a lot of smart people on this board, so I'd wager someone will find a safe way to update if no bootloader unlock is discovered by the time it's released.

spotmark

Feb 18, 2010
Massachusetts
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4

You could always flash back to stock.

http://xdaforums.com/verizon-lg-g3/development/tot-vs985-10b-share-t2832488

tu3218

Apr 14, 2009
The flip side of that is the first update could lock out all root methods and any potential bootloader exploits. There are a lot of smart people on this board, so I'd wager someone will find a safe way to update if no bootloader unlock is discovered by the time it's released.

Yeah I've seen some remarkable things done my fellow members.

Very true. Thanks for that link. I'm just afraid of my screwing up my brand new toy haha Not sure why though, it seems stump root is really straight foward. I just know once I do it, I'll start messing with xposed a lot. I know when I had my S3, I was flashing roms like once a day. My gf thought I was crazy.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I rooted mine before I even set it up.

Me?
    1. Out of the box.
    3. Root.