how to edit your build.prop to get things like netflix working

Search This thread

krinilssen

Oct 12, 2010
Root is required. Make a Nandroid backup! (I accidentally deleted by build.prop file and bootlooped my phone)
1) Download ES File Explorer (Or any other root file editor)
2) In ES File Explorer, go into Setting > Root Settings and enable both check boxes
3) Navigate to /system/ and copy/paste build.prop to /sdcard/ (just in case)
4) Open & edit /system/build.prop
5) Change the following lines to make your phone think it is a HTC G2:
ro.product.model=HTC Vision
ro.product.manufacturer=HTC
OR
ro.product.model=Nexus S
ro.product.manufacturer=samsung
6) Reboot the phone
7) Install the netflix apk (if you haven't already)
8) Enjoy

Mar 7, 2008
HELP!

I've run into a problem with this. My phone has gone into bootloop.

Is there a way to copy the build.prop I backed up on my sdcard to the /system/build.prop without booting the phone,... I.E. from the cyanogen recovery mode?

Reactions: justlovejoy

theberidox

May 15, 2011
Same issue with Samsung Fascinate

Anyone have any ideas how to copy back a build.prop if the phone is stuck in a boot loop? Adb won't work as it doesn't get far enough in boot to connect and it won't connect in recovery mode. As I can get into recovery, I may be able to flash a rom but that would be a worse case scenario.

t3gaming

Aug 1, 2007
Miami, FL
Anyone have any ideas how to copy back a build.prop if the phone is stuck in a boot loop? Adb won't work as it doesn't get far enough in boot to connect and it won't connect in recovery mode. As I can get into recovery, I may be able to flash a rom but that would be a worse case scenario.

I haven't yet tried ADB but since you've already answered my question then I guess we're stuck and must upload a stock rom and run it. I will try it once I get home but for now any new info would help. Sucks not having a phone at all :(

dsb9938

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 17, 2010
Edison, NJ
Can you not boot into recovery, mount system and use adb shell to copy the file from the SDCard?

D

theberidox

May 15, 2011
Bootloop Fixed

Can you not boot into recovery, mount system and use adb shell to copy the file from the SDCard?

D

Thanks. I forgot to mount system. I'm back up and running now. Using clockwork recovery, I mounted system and then adb was able to connect. I then used "adb push build.prop /system/" to move a corrected copy from my pc to the phone (I had originally used an on-phone editer that reformated the file and caused the issue). Rebooted phone and it booted. Netflix still doesn't work, (I changed the ro.product.model=Nexus S & ro.product.manufacturer=Samsung) but at least my phone is back.

FYI Update: I changed my build.prop to ro.product.model=HTC Vision & ro.product.manufacturer=HTC and now no longer get the unsuported message but Netflix now closes after log-in. I guess this was all for nothing for me.

Last edited:

caleb220

Jan 6, 2011
Having problems with captivate :(

ES explorer wont work, so I had to buy different one. Changed it to Nexus S, rebooted, opened netflix, get an error message saying my device is not supported. Please help.

Aug 17, 2010
Rochester, NY
I'm rooted and unknown sources is on and I dl'd es file explorer and went into settings and root options and click on root explorer it asks cyanogen or HiAPK rom. Is there a specific rom I should be running? When i click root explorer then i get "test failed. This feature cannot run on your phone, and then pops up to grant superuser permissions. Any suggestions? Thanks

Aug 17, 2010
Rochester, NY
And now I'm running cyanogen 7.0.3 and select cyanogen from the pop up but still get same error please help I have the apk for Netflix but says needs update and won't find update and just closes so i believe editing build.prop will get it running but cnnt get in to do the edits thanks in advance

PMGRANDS

Aug 15, 2010
Hartford, Connecticut
Root is required. Make a Nandroid backup! (I accidentally deleted by build.prop file and bootlooped my phone)
1) Download ES File Explorer (Or any other root file editor)
2) In ES File Explorer, go into Setting > Root Settings and enable both check boxes
3) Navigate to /system/ and copy/paste build.prop to /sdcard/ (just in case)
4) Open & edit /system/build.prop
5) Change the following lines to make your phone think it is a HTC G2:
ro.product.model=HTC Vision
ro.product.manufacturer=HTC
OR
ro.product.model=Nexus S
ro.product.manufacturer=samsung
6) Reboot the phone
7) Install the netflix apk (if you haven't already)
8) Enjoy

Thanx for the Help!

And Not to Totally get off the subject but does Anyone know what needs to be Changed in the Build.Prop to get the Connection time Faster? I saw it in a thread before but Can't Remember Where?

Thanx in Advance!

je2854

Oct 3, 2010
Houston, TX
Thanx for the Help!

And Not to Totally get off the subject but does Anyone know what needs to be Changed in the Build.Prop to get the Connection time Faster? I saw it in a thread before but Can't Remember Where?

Thanx in Advance!

add this to the end of your build.prop

Code:
#ISE:
net.tcp.buffersize.default=4096,87380,256960,4096,16384,256960
net.tcp.buffersize.wifi=4096,87380,256960,4096,16384,256960
net.tcp.buffersize.umts=4096,87380,256960,4096,16384,256960
net.tcp.buffersize.gprs=4096,87380,256960,4096,16384,256960
net.tcp.buffersize.edge=4096,87380,256960,4096,16384,256960

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    HELP!

I've run into a problem with this. My phone has gone into bootloop.

Is there a way to copy the build.prop I backed up on my sdcard to the /system/build.prop without booting the phone,... I.E. from the cyanogen recovery mode?