[APP] Linux Tool for Bricked Nexus S after firmware update

Search This thread

vbljj

Jul 21, 2009
Hi guys, I need help! I tried this guide, but after I press Download Mode Button, it lights Home and Search buttons, but then when I do the combo for fastboot, these buttons lights down and nothing else. Please help!!!

AdamOutler

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 18, 2011
Miami, Fl̨̞̲̟̦̀̈̃͛҃҅͟orida
Hi guys, I need help! I tried this guide, but after I press Download Mode Button, it lights Home and Search buttons, but then when I do the combo for fastboot, these buttons lights down and nothing else. Please help!!!

Are you using the S5PC110 (Nexus S) resurrector? There's several of them.

Anyways, you don't need to hold a key combo with UnBrickable Resurrector R40 and higher.

vbljj

Jul 21, 2009
Use odin/heimdall to restore your device while in download mode if you're not able to use fastboot.

You have pm :)

---------- Post added at 03:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:19 PM ----------

I tried with odin but it didn't detect my nexus. It is still with home and search softkeys on

bertans

Nov 13, 2009
Como
It is still with home and search softkeys on
1) remove the battery;
2) insert the battery;
3) connect the phone (the tool must be already running when you plug your Nexus);
4) press the volume key (in the middle) and keep it pressed;
5) run the tool;
6) use odin (or anything you prefer).

ps. you can disconnect your phone, it will remain in download mode ;)

Last edited:

vbljj

Jul 21, 2009
Sono in italiano, mi scuso se parlo in italiano con tutti gli altri, allora:
io su ubuntu ho usato il tool consigliato qui, si accendono i 2 led di home e search. Dopodiché io riavvio in windows, senza staccare il cavo, però se apro odin, non vede nulla. Cosa sbaglio?

I apologize for speaking in italian, but I'm in emergency

bertans

Nov 13, 2009
Como
I apologize for speaking in italian, but I'm in emergency
Follow the white rabbit... with a dictionary in your left hand! ;)
1) remove the battery;
2) insert the battery;
3) connect the phone (the tool must be already running when you plug your Nexus);
4) press the volume key (in the middle) and keep it pressed;
5) run the tool;
6) use odin (or anything you prefer).

You have to put your phone in "download mode" and you achieve this status with row 4... :)

Keep us informed!

Rafael Cadina

Feb 13, 2011
São Paulo
I really suck at ubuntu... So far i couldn't install java and run ressurector because i can't even connect to wifi.... Can somebody teach me how to do id?

ha9981

May 10, 2009
Why are people bricking? How can I avoid doing the same?

I am on I9020T running ICS ROM by Koush. I want to update to more stable official release of ICS. Am I going to suffer the same fate? There is a lack of clear instructions on how to do it. Or maybe I can't find them? I asked around and nobody seems to clarify the step-by-step process.

here was my question:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=20461823&postcount=57

vbljj

Jul 21, 2009
Guys, I love you! I did it!!! Thank you very much! If one day you come to Turin in Italy, let me know, I'll offer you a beer :)

AndroidUser00110001

Aug 16, 2011
NYC
Can anybody post the java installer and tell me what to do next?

Thanks in advance

(Ubuntu already installed)

$ sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://archive.canonical.com/ lucid partner"
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jdk

Dont use the $...that just shows what to type at command prompt.

---------- Post added at 02:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:49 PM ----------

Why are people bricking? How can I avoid doing the same?

I am on I9020T running ICS ROM by Koush. I want to update to more stable official release of ICS. Am I going to suffer the same fate? There is a lack of clear instructions on how to do it. Or maybe I can't find them? I asked around and nobody seems to clarify the step-by-step process.

here was my question:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=20461823&postcount=57

I bricked my phone by developing my ROM. I mistakenly had the bootloader.img file write to my boot partition and the rest was history...

:)

Rafael Cadina

Feb 13, 2011
São Paulo
$ sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://archive.canonical.com/ lucid partner"
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jdk

Dont use the $...that just shows what to type at command prompt.

---------- Post added at 02:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:49 PM ----------

I bricked my phone by developing my ROM. I mistakenly had the bootloader.img file write to my boot partition and the rest was history...

:)
Ok... but i don't have access to the internet! Apt-get probably won't work...
What should i do then?

Rafael Cadina

Feb 13, 2011
São Paulo
Hi guys,

I've just downloaded java from http://javadl.sun.com/webapps/download/AutoDL?BundleId=58117 [for ubuntu 64-bits] and installed it on my pc via terminal with the following lines

>> cd directory of the file
>> chmod 755 filename.bin
>> sudo ./filename.bin

The installation was succesful. Even though, when i try to pick java from the app list to open jar files it doesn't show. I've also tried to run the .jar file by the terminal typing java -jar filename.jar but nothing happens...

Any help?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys.. This tool will recover your bricked Nexus S after a bad firmware update. If your phone is showing anything on-screen, this tool is not for you. Don't forget to hit the donate button :).. hey, it's Christmas and my kid could use some extra toys. Note: 1/2 of any donations received from the UnBrickable are split with Rebellos for firmware development.

Introduction
    Last night I received a PM that Nexus S devices were getting bricked after applying a T-Mobile update. I responded by creating Revision 37 of the UnBrickable Resurrector. Rebellos and I have developed a software solution to get bootloaders back on what would otherwise be a Hard Bricked (or lucky bricked) Nexus S.

You Will Need
    You will need some software on your computer to get started. Here's what you need
    Software Based Resurrection
    Now that we have all the prerequisites taken care of, let's resurrect your device.
    1. In Ubuntu, right-click the UnBrickableResurrectorR38.jar, click properties>Permissions>"Allow executing file as program"
    2. Plug in your Nexus S
    3. Right-click the resurrector, open with Java, and observe the following image
      oswvvq.png
    4. Select "S5PC110 (Nexus S) from the drop-down box.
    5. Click the Download Mode button. The resurrector will ask for a password to access the Linux device.
    6. Enter your password, then hold the proper key combination on your device to access Fastboot or Download Mode.

Depending on the button combination you hold, your device will end up in Fastboot or Download Mode. For Download Mode you can use Heimdall or create a Windows Virtual Machine and launch Odin. Fastboot may be easier to use for you. See other threads in this forum for loading software in Fastboot or Download Mode.

Please note, I do not own a Nexus S, so please follow the advice and answers of others who help you with your particular model in this thread.
    I've been getting PMs asking for an explanation of what this is.. Is it BOOT, is it HBOOT??

The answer:

It's neither. The UnBrickable Resurrector leverages the power of the Hummingbird Interceptor Bootloader created by Team HummingMod's Rebellos. Rebellos has a very good understanding of the Hummingbird processor and its configurations. The way this bootloader works is injecting code directly into the processor

Here is a very high level overview:
    1. processor tries to boot and fails.
    2. Processor goes into a IROM failover mode. Normally, with UnBrickable Mod, we modify the processor's input to force this mode, it's not normally a failover. The bricks we are handling here are "lucky bricks"
    3. Processor executes IROM USB download routine and asks for secure code then waits for the computer to respond
    4. Computer sends HIBL and memory location to load HIBL.
    5. HIBL is loaded into memory where it performs secure authentication with the processor
    6. HIBL performs several diagnostic checks and displays UART output (if you're monitoring this)
    7. HIBL makes decisions on how to initialize the processor based on charactoristics seen in the device registers
    8. HIBL initializes the processor and much larger DRAM (System RAM)
    9. HIBL calls back the IROM code used to download the HIBL, but this time it does not call back the security routines.
    10. Processor executes IROM USB download routine but does not perform security checks
    11. Computer sends modified SBL and a memory location.
    12. SBL is loaded into the Memory location specified and executed
    13. The SBL handles the vast majority of platform specific initialization... screen, storage and other things.
    14. Modified SBL forces the device into Fastboot mode or allows Download Mode
    15. System appears to be booted normally, however, if you unplug USB, the system will turn off immediately.

Hope that clears things up. It's not a kernel.
    I screwed up my bootloader.img and it courrupted boot partition. When I use the tool, I just get booted back into Android and can not do anything with ROM Manager :(

Any suggestions?

Hold a key combination while using the UnBrickable Resurrector