Considering buying one, have some questions

Search This thread

clubtech

Jun 26, 2007
USA
Now that ICS has been released i have a few questions for current Mediapad owners that hopefully will help me decide if want to get one :)

1) I know that the mediapad is not the benchmark leader, do games like "temple run" and "wind up knight" run smoothly on it?
2) Is the native android SIP (internet calling) enabled in the final ICS version?
3) I read a lot of complaint out the touchscreen sensitivity. Has it been fixed in the latest ICS build?
4) How the web browser?
5) When you connect your mediapad through the HDMI out, how is the picture quality?

Any information you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

rurou

Nov 28, 2008
Now that ICS has been released i have a few questions for current Mediapad owners that hopefully will help me decide if want to get one :)

1) I know that the mediapad is not the benchmark leader, do games like "temple run" and "wind up knight" run smoothly on it?
2) Is the native android SIP (internet calling) enabled in the final ICS version?
3) I read a lot of complaint out the touchscreen sensitivity. Has it been fixed in the latest ICS build?
4) How the web browser?
5) When you connect your mediapad through the HDMI out, how is the picture quality?

Any information you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

1) yes.
2) no. At least it isn't exposed in the Huawei native phone app.
3) still the same, at least compared to the last beta build. Not really a problem though. But the jitter is more pronounced in high resolution setting (basically it will set the dpi to low, thus would look like 10" tablet scaled to 7"... Everything is smaller).
4) never encountered any problem. You can also use other browser like Dolphin and it would also be accelerated (basically Dolphin runs very smooth in ICS vs laggish in Galaxy Note).
5) looks low resolution (unless for portrait apps). So basically the same as previous build. I haven't use HC, so I don't know how much better it supposed to be, but compared to Galaxy Note, the note have better image quality but everything run more sluggish when using HDMI compared to mediapad which run very smooth but at lower resolution (and probably lower color depth also?).

Last edited:

PabloXIII

Apr 15, 2012
4) How the web browser?

1. Never mind the benchmarks, everything I've thrown at it runs smoothly (the likes of GTA III, DeadSpace, Shadowgun, Six Guns, and so on).
2. The client is not included.
3. I'm using hi-res mode and don't have any problems or annoyances.
4. I'm using Opera and it works great. Stock one is not causing any trouble either.
5. Not tested yet. Sorry.

clubtech

Jun 26, 2007
USA
Thanks guys!
For the screen issue, does it mean yo sometimes have to tap twice on items when using high res mode?

I also read on some forum that there are issued with Skype video on the latest release. Con someone confirm?

I will download the system files and see how to enable the native SIP client. It is normally a setting in the framework-Res.apk file.

Sent from my GT-P6200 using xda premium

rurou

Nov 28, 2008
Thanks guys!
For the screen issue, does it mean yo sometimes have to tap twice on items when using high res mode?

I also read on some forum that there are issued with Skype video on the latest release. Con someone confirm?

I will download the system files and see how to enable the native SIP client. It is normally a setting in the framework-Res.apk file.

Sent from my GT-P6200 using xda premium

As long as you have steady hand/finger while tapping and light touch then it shouldn't be a problem. The biggest annoyance is when you play something that need steady aim like angry birds and shooting games (contract killer or other games that you basically need to hold your finger at the screen steadily) because it will be jittery. It isn't that you can't play it, but it definitely add an extra challenge to the game. Skype issue is mostly on the skype itself. I haven't tested it yet (on the official build), but I read in skype forum that some other ICS devices also have this green video problem.

PabloXIII

Apr 15, 2012

Not at all. However, everything is about half (two thirds maybe) the size when in hi-res, so if you have (very) large hands it might be a problem. Like rurou said "like 10" tablet scaled to 7""...