Kindle Fire bricked. Need major help

Search This thread

Marblesnake

Dec 13, 2012
Hello, so this is my first time trying to root an android device, and I think I messed up. I watched a tutorial on youtube on how to do it and successfully installed superuser and twrp from a batch file ( I had to install adb drivers first ). I wasn't really sure I did it in the correct steps, so I wanted to revert back to the stock os. I booted into twrp and wiped the data ( cache, system, etc) from twrp. I then mounted it and transfered the kindle fire update 6.3.1 to my KF. I used the option on twrp to revert back to stock using the newly transferred zip. It ran for awhile then prompted me to click reboot. So I did. And this is where it gets tricky

After the reboot, all I see is the boot screen displaying "kindle fire." It never booted and lasted like this for hours. I tried to boot into twrp but I think it got deleted. I googled the problem and found it was in some sort of fastboot loop. I tried many fixes, using adb and other fastboot commands. Every time I tried anything, all I got was "waiting for device." Also, I couldn't use adb shell because it said system/bin/sh was not found. I went to my computer and found that the kindle fire no longer showed up as a removable device, but it showed up in device manager as adb composite interface under android phone. I thought that somehow all of my system files got deleted and thats why it says system/bin/sh not found. I tried to use the adb push command to manually send the update.zip to the KF but it is no longer a mounted drive, so there is nowhere to send it to. I'm at a loss here, Ive tried numerous utilities such as KFU, firekit, unbrick utility. I just need to figure out a way to remount the KF and copy over the folder "system" in the update.zip. If anyone could help me that would be great, as I have been trying to fix this for three days now.:fingers-crossed:

Reactions: aadgentry

Marblesnake

Dec 13, 2012
Read the How To in the attached link and it should help you figure out what the problem is and get you unbricked, http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1552547.

That doesn't really help me at all, as I have tried the solutions that what you just posted provides, and none of them have worked. I have tried flashing firefirefire and twrp to the kindle fire using fastboot, but to no avail. I think I need a bit more help than a beginner's guide can provide, but thanks for the link.

soupmagnet

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 7, 2012
Austin, TX
Google Pixel 6
That doesn't really help me at all, as I have tried the solutions that what you just posted provides, and none of them have worked. I have tried flashing firefirefire and twrp to the kindle fire using fastboot, but to no avail. I think I need a bit more help than a beginner's guide can provide, but thanks for the link.

First of all, when you try to revert to stock without wiping the necessary partitions, bad things will happen. What usually happens is you end up with some sort of frankenROM with no working shell and no custom bootloader or recovery.

Based on your description, it seems like you aren't in fastboot at all. You can confirm this by paying attention to the boot screen at the device starts up. If you see a bright Kindle Fire logo that stays bright, you're in fastboot. If you see a bright Kindle Fire logo that dims a little after a few seconds, you're no longer in fastboot and the device is trying to boot normally. What usually happens in situations like yours is, not only does the system have no way of booting, but there is also no working shell to send the necessary commands to change the bootmode, and you will receive the typical "system/bin/sh not found" error.

The problem is without a working shell, you cannot get into fastboot to install custom recovery and you cannot install recovery while booted "normally" without a working shell.

You have two options:

* Acquire a factory cable. A Motorola style factory programming cable to be exact. You can purchase one, or make one yourself. There is a thread in the KF General forum with information regarding both. The factory cable will put the device in fastboot so you will be able to install custom recovery and repair your system.

or

* Use Firekit. But in order for Firekit to work properly in your situation, you need to put the device in USBboot to install a "new" bootloader and recovery. This consists of opening the device and using the "shorting trick" as described in the Firekit thread. I would suggest creating a liveUSB with "persistence" and install the SoupKit. SoupKit comes with Firekit along with a number of other tools you may find useful.

Either way, you need to get custom recovery installed so you can wipe your system and data (factory reset) partitions and flash a new ROM. If it's the stock ROM you want, MoDaCo is your best bet. Once you install a custom ROM, there is no need to "root" as all custom ROMs come pre-rooted.

Hope that helps.

Marblesnake

Dec 13, 2012
First of all, when you try to revert to stock without wiping the necessary partitions, bad things will happen. What usually happens is you end up with some sort of frankenROM with no working shell and no custom bootloader or recovery.

Based on your description, it seems like you aren't in fastboot at all. You can confirm this by paying attention to the boot screen at the device starts up. If you see a bright Kindle Fire logo that stays bright, you're in fastboot. If you see a bright Kindle Fire logo that dims a little after a few seconds, you're no longer in fastboot and the device is trying to boot normally. What usually happens in situations like yours is, not only does the system have no way of booting, but there is also no working shell to send the necessary commands to change the bootmode, and you will receive the typical "system/bin/sh not found" error.

The problem is without a working shell, you cannot get into fastboot to install custom recovery and you cannot install recovery while booted "normally" without a working shell.

You have two options:

* Acquire a factory cable. A Motorola style factory programming cable to be exact. You can purchase one, or make one yourself. There is a thread in the KF General forum with information regarding both. The factory cable will put the device in fastboot so you will be able to install custom recovery and repair your system.

or

* Use Firekit. But in order for Firekit to work properly in your situation, you need to put the device in USBboot to install a "new" bootloader and recovery. This consists of opening the device and using the "shorting trick" as described in the Firekit thread. I would suggest creating a liveUSB with "persistence" and install the SoupKit. SoupKit comes with Firekit along with a number of other tools you may find useful.

Either way, you need to get custom recovery installed so you can wipe your system and data (factory reset) partitions and flash a new ROM. If it's the stock ROM you want, MoDaCo is your best bet. Once you install a custom ROM, there is no need to "root" as all custom ROMs come pre-rooted.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the help. Yeah, I tried the firekit method but didn't use the shorting trick. I have scoured the internet for information and tricks and it seems like these are my last two options before I throw this thing out the window. I have seen your posts in other threads and you have been a great help throughout this ordeal.

aadgentry

Dec 16, 2012
Port Saint Lucie
factory cable

thank you for this information. I am in the same predicament. I am purchasing a factory cable from Amazon $1.27.
It is sold by Earlybirdsavings and is a 3ft micro USB factory cable for kindle fire and Motorola Xoom.

thank you for all the helpful information!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello, so this is my first time trying to root an android device, and I think I messed up. I watched a tutorial on youtube on how to do it and successfully installed superuser and twrp from a batch file ( I had to install adb drivers first ). I wasn't really sure I did it in the correct steps, so I wanted to revert back to the stock os. I booted into twrp and wiped the data ( cache, system, etc) from twrp. I then mounted it and transfered the kindle fire update 6.3.1 to my KF. I used the option on twrp to revert back to stock using the newly transferred zip. It ran for awhile then prompted me to click reboot. So I did. And this is where it gets tricky

After the reboot, all I see is the boot screen displaying "kindle fire." It never booted and lasted like this for hours. I tried to boot into twrp but I think it got deleted. I googled the problem and found it was in some sort of fastboot loop. I tried many fixes, using adb and other fastboot commands. Every time I tried anything, all I got was "waiting for device." Also, I couldn't use adb shell because it said system/bin/sh was not found. I went to my computer and found that the kindle fire no longer showed up as a removable device, but it showed up in device manager as adb composite interface under android phone. I thought that somehow all of my system files got deleted and thats why it says system/bin/sh not found. I tried to use the adb push command to manually send the update.zip to the KF but it is no longer a mounted drive, so there is nowhere to send it to. I'm at a loss here, Ive tried numerous utilities such as KFU, firekit, unbrick utility. I just need to figure out a way to remount the KF and copy over the folder "system" in the update.zip. If anyone could help me that would be great, as I have been trying to fix this for three days now.:fingers-crossed:
    Read the How To in the attached link and it should help you figure out what the problem is and get you unbricked, http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1552547.

You have two options:

or

Hope that helps.

You have two options:

or

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the help. Yeah, I tried the firekit method but didn't use the shorting trick. I have scoured the internet for information and tricks and it seems like these are my last two options before I throw this thing out the window. I have seen your posts in other threads and you have been a great help throughout this ordeal.