S4 will not boot with SD card inserted

Search This thread

alkataz

Oct 26, 2010
New York
My S4 will not boot when my sd card is inserted. I have tried multiple sd cards of different classes, brands, and size. I am running MK2 stock rom with root.If I do a factory reset and wipe the sd card the phone will root. Google will install all my apps and everything will work fine. But when I move more than a couple apps to the sd card (all of the apps are games nothing system related) it will not boot the next time I power off the phone and restart it again. It will hang at the glowing samsung screen. It actually looks like it tries to boot a couple times because the phone will gently vibrate while on the screen and the back light on the soft buttons will go off and come back on a few times. I even let the phone sit for over half an hour a couple times and no luck.

I am on MK2 firmware using the Modem MK2 from this forum not an OTA update. And I am on a MJA bootloader with the counter tripped. I updated to using a stock rooted MK2 rom from this site as well. But the problem started before I updated to the new stock rom and firmware.

It might also be worth noting that I am using the latest version of Philz Touch Recovery, but after I odined the latest recovery and flashed the MK2 modem, little yellow words now appear in the upper left hand corner of the Samsnung Galaxy S4 flash screen. They are too small for me to read. I reflashed Philz and the modem, but the little yellow words didn't go away and everything worked fine until I started moving apps to the SD card.

Last edited:

cruise350

Dec 11, 2007
Memphis, TN
My S4 will not boot when my sd card is inserted. I have tried multiple sd cards of different classes, brands, and size. I am running MK2 stock rom with root.If I do a factory reset and wipe the sd card the phone will root. Google will install all my apps and everything will work fine. But when I move more than a couple apps to the sd card (all of the apps are games nothing system related) it will not boot the next time I power off the phone and restart it again. It will hang at the glowing samsung screen. It actually looks like it tries to boot a couple times because the phone will gently vibrate while on the screen and the back light on the soft buttons will go off and come back on a few times. I even let the phone sit for over half an hour a couple times and no luck.

I am on MK2 firmware using the Modem MK2 from this forum not an OTA update. And I am on a MJA bootloader with the counter tripped. I updated to using a stock rooted MK2 rom from this site as well. But the problem started before I updated to the new stock rom and firmware.

It might also be worth noting that I am using the latest version of Philz Touch Recovery, but after I odined the latest recovery and flashed the MK2 modem, little yellow words now appear in the upper left hand corner of the Samsnung Galaxy S4 flash screen. They are too small for me to read. I reflashed Philz and the modem, but the little yellow words didn't go away and everything worked fine until I started moving apps to the SD card.

First, the little yellow words. That happens because you have a custom recovery installed. Started appearing with MJA and the implementation of the Knox enabled boot loader. No way to get read of them except to flash back to full stock/stock recovery. Don't worry, it won't affect your phone operations.

On the sdcard problem, how is your card formatted? Unless the kernel supports exfat or ntfs, you are better off formatting the sdcards for FAT32. This is the only formatting convention that works on all versions of Android. You can also try formatting the sdcard in recovery.

alkataz

Oct 26, 2010
New York
Thanks for your response. I formatted the SD card using the format option in settings/storage. I also formated the SD card using Phillz recovery and used the default formatting option.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using xda app-developers app

daniel4653

Jul 10, 2010
Southern California
Thanks for your response. I formatted the SD card using the format option in settings/storage. I also formated the SD card using Phillz recovery and used the default formatting option.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using xda app-developers app

And it still wouldn't boot up? I've hard similar things happen and I had to format my SD card on my laptop in order for it to work.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

alkataz

Oct 26, 2010
New York
And it still wouldn't boot up? I've hard similar things happen and I had to format my SD card on my laptop in order for it to work.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I will try from my computer when I get home. Don't have an adapter with me right now. And no it still would not boot. But if I remove the card and let the phone bout it will. Then I insert it after the system had finished loading everything and it runs fine after that. All the apps on it are recognized and I can run them without issue. Until of course I have to reboot for whatever reason. It's kind of weird.

alkataz

Oct 26, 2010
New York
Okay I did a quick format using fat32. And formatted the SD card using my laptop. I still had the same issue. It does not seem to bother anything once the phone has booted, but if I let it try and boot with the SD card in there it will not. I am going to do a long format and see if that helps.

cruise350

Dec 11, 2007
Memphis, TN
Okay I did a quick format using fat32. And formatted the SD card using my laptop. I still had the same issue. It does not seem to bother anything once the phone has booted, but if I let it try and boot with the SD card in there it will not. I am going to do a long format and see if that helps.

I remember seeing this problem posted a long time ago. Turned out to be something with the software on the phone. If I remember right, the only way the person was able to fix it was do a factory reset and then odin the stock tar to the phone. You will lose everything on internal memory but at least your phone will work properly.

Reactions: alkataz

alkataz

Oct 26, 2010
New York
I remember seeing this problem posted a long time ago. Turned out to be something with the software on the phone. If I remember right, the only way the person was able to fix it was do a factory reset and then odin the stock tar to the phone. You will lose everything on internal memory but at least your phone will work properly.

I did a full format and the phone still would not boot. I am going to try your suggestion. I think the software on the phone is probably the most likely culprit since the phone does not actually have a problem reading from the SD card at anytime except when booting. I usually flash using Phillz, but I will do a factory reset. Format everything that is an option in Phillz and odin the stock tar.

alkataz

Oct 26, 2010
New York
I formatted everything on the phone that I could through Phillz, did a factory reset and flashed the stock MK2 rom through odin. It worked!! I am not able to boot my phone with my SD card in without issue. Thanks a lot!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.