Partioning SD Card

Search This thread

memphisuklf

May 11, 2010
Sorry, done a search and looked through all posts but can't seem to find a guide to partition sd card for use with apps2sd.

My phone is rooted and have rom manager installed where it looks I can perform the partition. Can someone point me to a noobs guide to partition or give us a hand. I have read about all different extensions to make the partition to but have no idea what they all are. Any help appreciated.

M

Mr_Bartek

Swap - 0
Ext3 - as little or as much as you wish (usually 512-1024mb)
FAT31 - the rest

memphisuklf

May 11, 2010
obviously this will wipe the sd card, what about all backups etc. Do i just copy to pc then copy them back when partition is complete?

M

Mr_Bartek

Yes, but remember you will have less space on for data since a part of it will be taken up by Ext3 partition.

chrysochire

Jul 2, 2010
Neuchâtel, Switzerland
Make this sticky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, done a search and looked through all posts but can't seem to find a guide to partition sd card for use with apps2sd.

My phone is rooted and have rom manager installed where it looks I can perform the partition. Can someone point me to a noobs guide to partition or give us a hand. I have read about all different extensions to make the partition to but have no idea what they all are. Any help appreciated.

I've been trying to make this subject a sticky for a while.

I posted some tutorials in the Q&A Thread: See my post http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=713643 (bottom of the page)....

Good luck!

memphisuklf

May 11, 2010
ok, seems I now have a problem. Did partition through manager 512mb/0 swap seemed to work fine but now phone won't boot, stuck at htc white screen. Any ideas?

Edit
Ok booted after 4th time of pulling battery. Doesn't look like it partitioned though. on windows I only have H: with 3.18gb

Last edited:
M

Mr_Bartek

I used the Android Recovery Menu from Paul's old rooting tutorial which let me partion the memory card easily.

memphisuklf

May 11, 2010
gave up for now, will have a look later on but don't want to mess with it that much as i`m using my stock sd card

jchoong

Jun 10, 2008
Singapore
I think you already have A2SD installed. I used Rom Manager to do the partition too and it was straightforward. No problems with rebooting though. If you reinstall your apps now, and if you check with a system info apps, you will find that you now have loads of internal memory.

memphisuklf

May 11, 2010
ah, ok got 115mb free after installs(Used to have 10mb). So the defrost rom i`m using will automatically use apps 2sd when a partition is found?

Thought I had to set this up with spare parts?

How come I cant see the partition through windows?

M

Mr_Bartek

Windows doesn't recognise linux partitions. Check with Quick System Info if A2SD is working correctly.

memphisuklf

May 11, 2010
haha, feel stupid now. Working fine when checked with quick system info. Cheers for all the help guys, much appreciated:)

Xinot

Jul 8, 2009
Valkeakoski
ok, seems I now have a problem. Did partition through manager 512mb/0 swap seemed to work fine but now phone won't boot, stuck at htc white screen. Any ideas?

Edit
Ok booted after 4th time of pulling battery. Doesn't look like it partitioned though. on windows I only have H: with 3.18gb

If u have 4Gb card and in windows you see only 3.2Gb partition, then i think you have ext partition there ok. Windows wont see your ext.
Rom Manager will make ext3 partition in the end of your sd card.
With 512Mb ext + 0Mb swap you will get fat32 partition + ext3 in your SD card.

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA App

aljwatson69

Mar 23, 2009
On a similar topic, if I install a 2.2 ROM with Google APS2SD and legacy APS2SD, do I only need to create a partition for the legacy version of APPS2SD? If I just wanted to use the Google version can I just leave the card as it is?

dexter9898

May 24, 2010
Here's my experience to Partition the SD card.

1) I rooted my Desire with "UnrEVOked"
2) Flashed the phone with a ROM
3) Then I went to "Market" and download "ROM manager", which has an option to "Partition SD card".
4) Reboot

chrysochire

Jul 2, 2010
Neuchâtel, Switzerland
Here's my experience to Partition the SD card.

1) I rooted my Desire with "UnrEVOked"
2) Flashed the phone with a ROM
3) Then I went to "Market" and download "ROM manager", which has an option to "Partition SD card".
4) Reboot

There is a related thread here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=731531

I developed the most common methods of partition your SD Card, and answered some questions and asked some additional ones.

I would very much welcome it, if anyone wants to participate in assembling the infos about SD cards....