Found a way to install provxml on Omnia 7

Search This thread

lyriquidperfection

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 14, 2009
Nottingham
Can do this using the Registry Viewer and Network Profile Tool. I will be making a tool for samsung that will allow you to provision any xml.

Sent from my OMNIA7 using Board Express

Last edited:

lyriquidperfection

Jun 14, 2009
Nottingham
Okay here it goes, its very similar to the HTC method which requires alot of tinkering.

Firstly, you need to be Dev Unlocked. Search for Chevron Unlocker if you dont already have it.

Secondly, you will need Tom XAP Installer which can be found as a sticky at the top of the thread.

Lastly you will need nico's Registry Viewer XAP Package which can be found here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=10623201&postcount=19

Now when you have all the above done, Load up Registry Viewer and goto:
HKLM\System\State\Samsung\Phone\Operator\Base

You will see some numbered subkeys. You can edit any of these but I reccommend editing [1].

Now navigate to [1] and tap FileName this is where you enter the desired xml.

Now I have a UK Omnia 7 but I flashed the Unbranded XENJK1 ROM which is for Netherlands. So whenever you run the Network Profile App you will see the Network for the sim card you are currently using plus 4 other networks to choose from which will be Netherlands Phone Operators.

Here is a little example to run your desired provxml file. Remember we tapped on FileName in the [1] subkey, now clear the current filename thats already there and type in: UK_XEU_BASE.xml

Exit Registry Viewer and startup the Network Profile App and Tap on the Top Profile. (This is why we edited [1]). You will see the loading dots in the middle of the screen to tell you the device is busy (thats the provxml installing). When its done, exit the Network Profile App and restart it. You will now notice that ALL the UK network providers are now in the Profile list.

So this definately works, we just now need a way to create our own provxml files and copy them to the Windows folder on our Omnia 7! :)

RustyGrom

Apr 18, 2006
Orlando
So this in effect is the same as what I found/hit in this thread. The problem is, we don't have a way of writing to the \windows directory. I've tried all sorts of things to read the provxml from other locations but it doesn't want to.

martani

Nov 3, 2009
So this in effect is the same as what I found/hit in this thread. The problem is, we don't have a way of writing to the \windows directory. I've tried all sorts of things to read the provxml from other locations but it doesn't want to.

If what he described (anyone tested it with a custom provxml file yet?) works, then maybe the network profile app doesn't need a provxml file within the Windows folder (to test too).

xboxmod

Senior Recognized Developer
May 20, 2007
Gap
Patch network setup dll to apply provxml from the xap install folder.
i 've do this on my htc provxml deployer by this way you can deploy custom provxml.

lyriquidperfection

Jun 14, 2009
Nottingham

Yes its more or less the same, also the method everyone is using for Interop to use native DLLs in their code is only for using Subs/Functions inside of Interfaces. Now to call an Exported Function in a native DLL requires a different approach. We first have to build a DLL using C++ in Visual Studio 2008 for Windows Mobile 6 (yes you heard me right! :)) and create an interface for the functions we wish to use in the native DLL we want to call. We then use C# to use the ComBridge method to load the custom made native DLL which will then provide us the access to the Subs/Functions so when these are called, our custom made DLL will then call the Exported Function in our target DLL.

Now this will also enable us to use the Exported Functions in Coredll.dll which have all the juicy functions that we used and loved in Windows Mobile, including Registry read and write and file access and IO operations. :)

Now, Any C++ Volunteers??? :D

denominator77

Retired Recognized Developer
Dec 17, 2010
Now when you have all the above done, Load up Registry Viewer and goto:
HKLM\System\State\Samsung\Phone\Operator\Base

We can do the same by runnig "/windows/AppPreInstaller.exe path_to_provxml_file" (using l3v5y.WP7DT.RemoteExecute).

The problem is that AppPreInstaller.exe refuses any attempts to install provxml from any place outside /windows folder.

RustyGrom

Apr 18, 2006
Orlando
Patch network setup dll to apply provxml from the xap install folder.
i 've do this on my htc provxml deployer by this way you can deploy custom provxml.
But aren't the DLLs signed? Did you just resign it with a different cert?

Yes its more or less the same, also the method everyone is using for Interop to use native DLLs in their code is only for using Subs/Functions inside of Interfaces. Now to call an Exported Function in a native DLL requires a different approach. We first have to build a DLL using C++ in Visual Studio 2008 for Windows Mobile 6 (yes you heard me right! :)) and create an interface for the functions we wish to use in the native DLL we want to call. We then use C# to use the ComBridge method to load the custom made native DLL which will then provide us the access to the Subs/Functions so when these are called, our custom made DLL will then call the Exported Function in our target DLL.

Now this will also enable us to use the Exported Functions in Coredll.dll which have all the juicy functions that we used and loved in Windows Mobile, including Registry read and write and file access and IO operations. :)

Now, Any C++ Volunteers??? :D
I know some people (davux) have started this. I wrote a simple one but I suck at C++ so didn't get very far.
It definately works with xml in windows folder but not tried a custom one yet.
That reg key doesn't include a path, just a file name. I guess you could throw in DiagnosisApp_1.provxml and see if it launches it (it just installs the Diagnosis app).

xboxmod

May 20, 2007
Gap
We can do the same by runnig "/windows/AppPreInstaller.exe path_to_provxml_file" (using l3v5y.WP7DT.RemoteExecute).

The problem is that AppPreInstaller.exe refuses any attempts to install provxml from any place outside /windows folder.

yes and this apps doesn't deploy custom provxml!
i've try on my Htc by editing provxml called by this apps.
apppreinstaller is run on 1st boot to install in rom Xap's via a provxml.

Last edited:

lyriquidperfection

Jun 14, 2009
Nottingham
That reg key doesn't include a path, just a file name. I guess you could throw in DiagnosisApp_1.provxml and see if it launches it (it just installs the Diagnosis app).

Ha! I entered DiagnosisApp_1.provxml into the FileName value and when I applied the modified profile, it did indeed install the Diagnosis App but not launch it. The provxml is for installation only as when I did this, Diagnosis appeared in my app list without keying in ##634# in the dialer! :)

Last edited:

RustyGrom

Apr 18, 2006
Orlando
Ha! I entered DiagnosisApp_1.provxml into the FileName value and when I applied the modified profile, it did indeed install the Diagnosis App but not launch it. The provxml is for installation only as when I did this, Diagnosis appeared in my app list without keying in ##634# in the dialer! :)

Cool so as best I can tell looking at the disassembled code SetNetworkSetting(string settingName, out int bRet) from NwProfDLL.dll does that with "settingName" being the provxml file or the name assigned to the provxml file, leaning towards the latter.

Edit... maybe not... doesn't seem to work to launch DiagnosisApp_1.provxml. Might be due to my phone being carrier locked?

Last edited:

contable

Oct 25, 2009
Cool so as best I can tell looking at the disassembled code SetNetworkSetting(string settingName, out int bRet) from NwProfDLL.dll does that with "settingName" being the provxml file or the name assigned to the provxml file, leaning towards the latter.

Edit... maybe not... doesn't seem to work to launch DiagnosisApp_1.provxml. Might be due to my phone being carrier locked?

I have the same problem, too. My OMNIA 7 is still carrier locked (bad bootloader version...). I will try to unlock it tomorrow.

lyriquidperfection

Jun 14, 2009
Nottingham
Doesnt matter if it is locked or unlocked. It doesnt launch it only installs it. It adds the icon to the app list if it wasnt there already.

RustyGrom

Apr 18, 2006
Orlando
Doesnt matter if it is locked or unlocked. It doesnt launch it only installs it. It adds the icon to the app list if it wasnt there already.

In the NetworkProfile app, I can't choose a profile. It just says "This application can not be used if the device is in network locked state by mobile operator."

I tried bypassing it and just calling the function from my own code but it didn't work. That doesn't mean it won't work as I may be doing something wrong but the COM DLL could be checking the phone's lock status before trying to run the provxml.

hounsell

Dec 25, 2009
Sleaford, UK
In the NetworkProfile app, I can't choose a profile. It just says "This application can not be used if the device is in network locked state by mobile operator."

I tried bypassing it and just calling the function from my own code but it didn't work. That doesn't mean it won't work as I may be doing something wrong but the COM DLL could be checking the phone's lock status before trying to run the provxml.

I don't think it's so much if the device is carrier-locked, but if the device is carrier-branded. I couldn't use the Network Profile tool with my original T-Mobile UK ROM, but since flashing it with the generic ROM that leaked, I can now use it, despite still being carrier-locked.

xboxmod

May 20, 2007
Gap
guys on your samsung device operator xml are deployed by configxml.exe in the windows folder called by AutoSim.exe imself run by coldinit.exe
the operator provxml are named like this FRANCE_SFR_BASE.xml
i'm looking if i find somethink.

i think autosim is also run by NetworkProfile.

Last edited:

contable

Oct 25, 2009

I can confirm that it works on my carrier locked OMNIA 7 !.

I edited the filename in the registry, then I launched the Network profile app.
If the first profile is allready choosen on your device, choose the second one and then the first one. It works only for the [1] registry filename so you have to choose the first profile of the list.

After that the diagnosis app appears on your device...

Edit: my device is T-Mobile Germany branded...

Last edited: