Would you like to share knowledge about Alcatel MOVE ?

• Total voters
Search This thread

djada80

Sep 22, 2011
Hi XDA geeks , pros and fans !

I'd like to start this new threadline concerning the freshly-appeared TCT MOVE handheld device marketed for the budget segment.As i understand it appeared in march or later this year and has quite good specs for the approx. 100 euro category.
Some details can be found on

http://alcatelonetouch.com/products/smartphones/move

Contrarily to some beliefs IT IS NOT a branded OT-908 ,rather a cosmetized one .It comes in black or silver / white , a bit heavy for it's size , and higher specs than the OT-908.

Concerning the hardware specs, i'll be coming back later with some accurate chipset and sensor details.For now

OS is Android Froyo v2.2.2.Looks like there will be official ROM updates,at the time being there is the OneTouch Upgrade v1.2 ,which downloads about 540 Mb chunked firmware files, and exits with error.

Memory is 512 Mb RAM , for user space is available about 300 Mb
512 Mb ROM flash, available to user about 160Mb.
SD card slot supports up to 32Gb MicroSD, the phone comes with a 2Gb one.

Camera is a 2.1Mpixel one.There is no secondary one,but the main camera is available for video calls,with Yahoo! Messenger i tested it myself.How to use it this way i will explain later.

GPS is amazing , if assistance software is used , the lock-on takes only seconds.

Sensors - linear acceleration sensor
- 3 axis orientation sensor
- 3 channel magnetic field sensor (digital compass)
- light sensor for illuminance detection
- optical proximity sensor , it seems not in use by operating system(or rather poorly)

Processor - 600 MHz Qualcomm ARMv6 compatible, min frequency is 122 Mhz, and deep sleep capability.Qualcomm MSM 7627 chipset

Last edited:

djada80

Sep 22, 2011
firmware upgrade

it seems that the branded ones somehow cannot be upgraded ! at this point i need assistance , so PLEASE , if there is anybody experienced in debranding Acatel smartphones, then YOU ARE MOST WELCOME !.I saw guys having problem with debranding T-Mobile Move , so let's DO IT !

johndean_1978

Sep 23, 2011
cannot sync with windows

i cannot sync my tmobile move with windows.have a toshiba satellite c665 with win 7 .pls help !

djada80

Sep 22, 2011
connect phone to computer,enable usb tethering.install alcatel android manager on computer. Can be found here

alcatelonetouch.com/contents/download/T-Mobile_AndroidManager_2.2.1108.1645.rar

This should work,instead of Android Sync Manager WiFi ,the last has some issues with this phone ,do not use it.

djada80

Sep 22, 2011
Yahoo! messenger front camera

Contrarily to some beliefs THERE IS POSSIBLE TO MAKE VIDEO CALLS with front camera only on Froyo 2.2.It is quite simple:

1.) if you have any version of yahoo apps , remove them all
2.) install Y!Messenger v1.3.2 , the afferent audio and video plugin and
optionally Y!Mail v1.3.2

Nothing fancy with it , just works.Remember, DO NOT UPDATE from Market.

Might also check this,if it doesn't work
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1087769

djada80

Sep 22, 2011
RE

Yes , there is. So the smart method vould be to remove them from phone memory , and eventually install it on SD Card , if they are (and they are) UNMOVABLE.
Or just leave them ,anyway a factory reset will restore all the shipped applications.

1.) [optional] install Android SDK with platform 2.2 , sdk tools and eventually drivers.Enable USB debugging on device.On PC launch command prompt and change directory to \Android\android-sdk\platform-tools\.Run command

adb shell pm setInstallLocation 2

This enables SDCARD installation by default.Prerequisits to have ROOT ACCESS.

2.) with RootExplorer simply delete unwanted applications from \custpack\apps\ on device.Optionally you can make backups.

3.) if you made backups , the backed-up apk can be used to be reinstalled , NOW ON SD CARD

Good luck.

djada80

Sep 22, 2011
RE again

A reboot of the device is required to cleanup the junk after a forced delete.Or it can be done manually , BUT USE CAUTION.

themastreM

Jul 10, 2011
ploiesti
i have an alcatel move branded Cosmote Move, i like this phone very much but i`ve managed to brick it the second time, first time i bricked and took it to waranty, they reinstall the software free of charge, now it has the same simptoms (pass the carrier logo and get stuck to carrier animation) and i need to send it to waranty again. i dont manage to get it unbricked. i`ve root it with gingerbreak but this phone doesnt go to recovery mode. i`ve searched the internet and google it for hours, but nothing.
if anyone knows how to do it please tell me, in the user manual says hard reset vol - and power, get stuck whit touch buttons light up and screen black!!
thanks in advance

djada80

Sep 22, 2011
re Themaster

it's not a brick yet i suppose , though you didn't specify how you managed to "brick" your phone.a nice clean reflash would solve the problem , probably you deleted some system files while in root mode.again did you use root explorer or something similar ?

try a factory reset as it follows:

1.) turn off the phone
2.) press vol up and the power on and hold the buttons pressed for about 1 minute
3.) the phone boots up , android logo appears and then an animation with some sort of thrashcan or whatever
4.)wait until it finishes , then the phone shuts down automatically.power on the phone and it will be restored
Beware ,battery must be at least 70 % charged or kept in charger , NOT USB connected to PC.
This restores phone to factory state , but not all the applications from /custpack/apps
Best regards !

Reactions: themastreM

djada80

Sep 22, 2011
Useful Key Combinations

These keypress modes apply on a shut down phone

Hard Reset - reinstalls android core system from ROM , deletes user data and misconfig

key combo : vol up + power on long pressed until trashcan animation appears

Flash Mode - used for ROM update , useless momentarily

key combo: vol down + power on long pressed , black screen appears and touch buttons lit up

Root access , mount filesystem with root access ,DANGEROUS !

key combo : home + power on long pressed until boot

djada80

Sep 22, 2011
build environment under Ubuntu

Lately, there has been some problems setting up an Android build environment under Lucid Lynx, as i've seen many have been complained for the missing java5 jdk.

For Romanian users: seems to be a problem with the Romtelecom DNS servers , when adding Jaunty or Dapper repositories to Lucid.

Use Google DNS as alternatives 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.This works.

snkiz

Jul 1, 2011
Toronto
From what I've been able to determine. The move and 908(s) are the same hardware with with only cosmetic differences. Something is different in software, I've been unable to root my 908s with ANY tools I've found.

I was also unable to use ADB under windows. The handset apparently requires four drivers, I was only able to find three of them. I got the Alcatel tools to work, as well as tethering, but no ADB. i didn't have any such issues under Ubuntu, but without root it isn't helpful.

I could not locate a stock rom or source anywhere on the Alcatel sites, so I sent a GPL request, i'm waiting to hear back.

snkiz

Jul 1, 2011
Toronto
UPDATE

After a long night I managed to root my 908s. I'll write out the jist of it, but I was flying by the seat of my pants, fueled by caffeine and sleep depervation. DON'T consider this a HOWTO.

First off, to the best of my knowlage there is no one click solution as of yet. As I said before still missing the driver that makes ADB work in windows, and handset based solutions didn't pan out. A little reasearch showed that the OT-990 has the same chip/ram and ROM space as ours. The screen is bigger, and I don't know what board is in it, but on a hunch I figured it was close enough. So I went here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1164391 in the hopes that some sort of combined effort in future ROM development would be possible.

Yes that's right folks its a guide to MANUALLY root you handset with ADB. So not for the faint of heart. I didn't have high hopes, as issuing ls -l on either the sqlite folder or data threw a permission denied. So blindly I tried to push psneuter, busybox and su to /data/local. I almost fell off my chair when it worked! from there I used psneuter to get ADB into root, and managed to get the su binary to /system/xbin, and Superuser into /system/app. Superuser was installed, but still no root. So I checked out Root Checker to see what was going on. There are three places that su typically lives; /system/xbin, /system/bin, and /sbin. So I tried to put su in those folders. I got it into /system/bin but sbin is mounted read-only. I did not remount any directories, as the instructions are lacking syntax (I'm a little rusty with advanced mounting commands). I think things are mapped a little differently anyway. I still did not have root on the handset, so I then fired up Superuser to see what it could see. It saw the su binary, even though it wasn't working right. Then I thought well if it can see it, then maybe it can update and fix it. Sure enough after running the update to su in Superuser, (drumroll please...) I had working root.

So that's my story so far, I'm gonna give Alcatel a week or so to reply to my request. Then we'll take it from there. (Hey it worked on Huewei right?)

If a real dev should come across this, feel free to jump in. Its a solid little phone and has the potential to work on a range of handsets.

Last edited:
Reactions: djada80

djada80

Sep 22, 2011
Gratitude

Thanks snkiz for your attention ! I am pleased that someone 'heavy' noticed my efforts of dedicating this threadline to the newcomer ! Indeed a small little phone with potential , maybe in time we get it gingerbread , cupcake ( or whatever ),even wm6.5 or 7 ...

As of ADB drivers , i had ADB from the first by these steps:

1.) http://www.alcatelonetouch.com/contents/download/move upgrade 1.2 Setup.rar , package contains the drivers

Now i noticed that when i try firmware upgrade , the utility downloads about half a giga of *.bin files and then exits with 'download failed error'.

2.) installed Android SDK , platform tools and Google drivers (i am not sure if necessary), the 2.2 platform (api 8)

Under Win7 cmd in platform tools , adb shell , su and on device pops up 'unknown has been granted superuser rights' and voila! in cmd shell i have '#'.Previously installed Gingerbreak.

My device is a Cosmote Move.

snkiz

Jul 1, 2011
Toronto
Ya, no I got that file too. I think they are "consumer drivers" because like I said I got all the Alcatel tools running but on my win 7 one driver was still missing, and I have pretty good googlefu. effin hate windows, this is why. I'm by no means a "heavy" but I am comfortable in a Linux environment, that helps alot. As to you being able to get gingerbreak to work, i'd bet that comes down to carrier firmware.

---------- Post added at 06:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:39 PM ----------

djada, seeing as your the op could you please re-tag the thread with the model numbers to make it easier to find? cosmote, 908, 908s, and qualcom should do.

perhaps a mod could move this thread to the android hacking forum where it can get the proper attention please?

Last edited:

djada80

Sep 22, 2011
ADB driver

Driver files are from WHATEVER.\android-sdk\extras\google\usb_driver\ , if does not install automatically , can be forced.Anyway Win$ux 7 detects ADB interface , installs some sh.t from windows update server , and you'll have an ADB interface in Device Manager (working or not).Try to force the google drivers.

On the other hand ,i'm sorry but dunno how to move the thread , maybe i should start a new one in
http://xdaforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=565&order=desc&page=552

Just looked at it and they don't have Alcatel

Attachments

• adb1.jpg
    adb1.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 354
  • adb2.jpg
    adb2.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 350
  • build.jpg
    build.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 332
Last edited:

djada80

Sep 22, 2011
Mod

Just started workin on a Cyanogen build , if i manage to build at least a kernal img , maybe i can lure in the Koush guy from github.We are in need of flash , backup , recovery tools.Not as lucky as the Samsung or HTC guys ...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    finally done CUSTOM ROM HERE TRY IT !

TO ALL PEOPLE HERE !

NOW UPLOADING ROM TO SERVER- 1/2 hour from now

YOU ARE INVITED TO TRY THIS CUSTOM ROM HOPE YOU LIKE !

Here is the new thread if you don't already know
    ROM Download links are up! Thank you!

Thanks! to be the first downloading this ROM !:)
    globul-stock-rom (unsigned)

http://www.mediafire.com/?4wx0uc047y990tf

edit: one question

/system/bin/toolbox and symlinks comming with stock rom or are added later from other app?

this is not important I guess was made later
    also I can make complete update.zip signed from these files
    but what for because I am (move)ing to a new thread so goodbye Move:D
    and welcome original/ clean OT-908 !

---------- Post added at 06:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:34 AM ----------

I have one question - I have no idea about how to make custom ROMs, or porting existing ROMs to other phones, but:

How about porting CyanogenMod to this Alcatel OT-908? Can be this possible?

yes but for what price ? how do you pay me for that ?! suggest buy a beer:D

---------- Post added at 06:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:37 AM ----------

for all reading
    I suggest to try -if don't know box.com to get free online storage
    normally a subscriber get 5GB for free but if you download from Market
    for an Android subscriber there are 50 GB free storage for you and many benefits
    also I intend to put there that stock rom I am working on sharing to you if interested

---------- Post added at 06:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:47 AM ----------

UPDATE

After a long night I managed to root my 908s. I'll write out the jist of it, but I was flying by the seat of my pants, fueled by caffeine and sleep depervation. DON'T consider this a HOWTO.

First off, to the best of my knowlage there is no one click solution as of yet. As I said before still missing the driver that makes ADB work in windows, and handset based solutions didn't pan out. A little reasearch showed that the OT-990 has the same chip/ram and ROM space as ours. The screen is bigger, and I don't know what board is in it, but on a hunch I figured it was close enough. So I went here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1164391 in the hopes that some sort of combined effort in future ROM development would be possible.

Yes that's right folks its a guide to MANUALLY root you handset with ADB. So not for the faint of heart. I didn't have high hopes, as issuing ls -l on either the sqlite folder or data threw a permission denied. So blindly I tried to push psneuter, busybox and su to /data/local. I almost fell off my chair when it worked! from there I used psneuter to get ADB into root, and managed to get the su binary to /system/xbin, and Superuser into /system/app. Superuser was installed, but still no root. So I checked out Root Checker to see what was going on. There are three places that su typically lives; /system/xbin, /system/bin, and /sbin. So I tried to put su in those folders. I got it into /system/bin but sbin is mounted read-only. I did not remount any directories, as the instructions are lacking syntax (I'm a little rusty with advanced mounting commands). I think things are mapped a little differently anyway. I still did not have root on the handset, so I then fired up Superuser to see what it could see. It saw the su binary, even though it wasn't working right. Then I thought well if it can see it, then maybe it can update and fix it. Sure enough after running the update to su in Superuser, (drumroll please...) I had working root.

So that's my story so far, I'm gonna give Alcatel a week or so to reply to my request. Then we'll take it from there. (Hey it worked on Huewei right?)

If a real dev should come across this, feel free to jump in. Its a solid little phone and has the potential to work on a range of handsets.
    On czech T-Mobile support website moderator said the Gingerbread will be released later this month. I hope...

Odesláno z mého Galaxy Nexus pomocí Tapatalk 2